European Championships

bangkokrick

Well we did beat the turnips for the first time in a long time. No doubt the doom sayers will say that we were lucky, but all in all a good performance from England. A draw with the Ukraine will see us through. Come on England!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange but why would anyone who dislikes a nation, constantly put its team and supporters down, yet follows and supports an english club. This is what i can't understand and i've seen this situation time and time again. Its so hypocritical. If you don't like england, the english or simply the english blood in you then support a team from another country. How simple is that?

because it's possible to be born somewhere and be from somewhere and feel a tribal affinity with a town, city or region without necessarily identifying with the rest of the country. because patriotism often brings out the worst in people. because people from yorkshire have little to nothing in common with people from surrey other than living under the same imposed flag and borders. i don't think it's hypocritical at all.

As a Yorkshireman I don't find there to be the same level of 'bloody southerners' approach there was even 30 years ago. Maybe in the small towns, but the bigger conurbations have been invaded for years by people of many races including many daddy's little darlings from the Home counties who couldn't get into Exeter or Bristol and stayed. I would have thought the same thing applies to Lancashire as well.

The sad thing about this is that the Russian team is playing very well. It would be a tragedy if they were sent home early. Both for them and also we fans who are enjoying their football skills.

That's what we all thought after the first game. You would have got long odds on them being eliminated in the Group.

The sad thing about this is that the Russian team is playing very well. It would be a tragedy if they were sent home early. Both for them and also we fans who are enjoying their football skills.

That's what we all thought after the first game. You would have got long odds on them being eliminated in the Group.

The Greece/Russia match was a bit of a shocker. Greece deserved it in the end especially after Karagounis was tripped in the box for a sure fire penalty and the ref booked him for simulation. Mind you, I dont see either the Czechs or Greece progressing beyond the quarter finals.

It should end up Greece verses Germany in the Euros which sounds vaguely poetic.

True salty that would have been a very good bet. I just could not envisage the Greeks beating the Russians.

Invasion = "An incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity". England supporters in Ukraine, a large number of people? Shurely shome mishtake.

I can't fathom France's display last night.After bossing the first 20 mins.,they completely lost their way and were appalling in the second half.A shadow of the side that had beaten Ukraine so comprehensively the game before.Sweden were great in defence but that doesn't excuse Benzema,Ribery,Nasri and Ben Arfa all turning in performances they will want to forget.It doesn't seem much of a coincidence that they turn in their worst performance at the same time as Laurent Blanc is discussing the manager's job at Spurs.

What a player Ronaldo is, hit the post twice and a fantastic header to win it, you have to fancy Portugal to make the final, a Spain v Portugal semi final is mouth watering prospect.

What a player Ronaldo is, hit the post twice and a fantastic header to win it, you have to fancy Portugal to make the final, a Spain v Portugal semi final is mouth watering prospect.

Find the thought of Germany Spain a little more mouth watering than Spain Portugal. Portugal are very similar to Spain but just with less individual talent, so i feel quite confident i could predict the winner. Germany though are quite different in that they have less flair players, but they all play to a very high standard.

That aside, yeah you are right about Ronaldo last night. One of his best ever games i have seen him play for Portugal. He was leagues above everyone else on that pitch, and should really have had himself a hattrick. Egotistical knob of course, but isn't that always the way...

Find the thought of Germany Spain a little more mouth watering than Spain Portugal. Portugal are very similar to Spain but just with less individual talent, so i feel quite confident i could predict the winner. Germany though are quite different in that they have less flair players, but they all play to a very high standard.

That aside, yeah you are right about Ronaldo last night. One of his best ever games i have seen him play for Portugal. He was leagues above everyone else on that pitch, and should really have had himself a hattrick. Egotistical knob of course, but isn't that always the way...

it is usually the way but not always. leo messi manages to play the game to a genius level while still being likable and playing with a smile on his face. ronaldo never even looks like he's enjoying himself, too busy gurning and preening for the cameras.

just watched the highlights of Portugal v czech rep. Don't think they showed one C P shot, anyone watch the full match, I don't 100% trust the highlights but it looked the most totally one sided in the tournemont so far.

just watched the highlights of Portugal v czech rep. Don't think they showed one C P shot, anyone watch the full match, I don't 100% trust the highlights but it looked the most totally one sided in the tournemont so far.

The Czechs were woeful. Not a single shot on target (and only 2 off target). Portugal were the only team other than Ireland to have a lower percentage of possession than England in the Group stages (41.6%) but the Czechs simply sat back and let them have 62% possession. It didnt help that they had 68% pass completion which I think is the lowest by any team in any match during the tournament. All in all, they almost certainly made Portugal look a whole load better than they actually are.

Yes it was. Even after Portugal scored with ten minutes to go, when you thought the Czech's might go for it, they barely had a touch.

On paper this is one of the games of the tournemont, lets hope it lives up to it. France have the pace and power going 4 ward to get at spain,. People are comparing them, cant see it myself, IMO 2 completely different styles, both can be devastating but both have defensive frailties . blank boy rested a few players for the last game, and it didnt work for them,,maybe that decision will pay dividends in this game. but I'm backing spain to win and Torres,to sparkle and finish the chances that the wonderful midfield are creating.

What a yawn of a match. Spain are becoming a parody of themselves. Passing for passings sake - no flair.

Yes it was quite dull wasn't it.

Still kind of feel that Spain have another gear or two to kick up into when they want / need to.

One thing that has surprised me, considering the attacking riches at their disposal, and considering the form of Torres for large large periods of last season's Premier League, that he still is getting so much playing time. Really thought he would be their third or fourth option. In fact, had you asked me earlier in the year whether he would even be going to Poland, i would have with certainty said no way.

What a yawn of a match. Spain are becoming a parody of themselves. Passing for passings sake - no flair.

Still kind of feel that Spain have another gear or two to kick up into when they want / need to.

One thing that has surprised me, considering the attacking riches at their disposal, and considering the form of Torres for large large periods of last season's Premier League, that he still is getting so much playing time. Really thought he would be their third or fourth option. In fact, had you asked me earlier in the year whether he would even be going to Poland, i would have with certainty said no way.

To be fair Torres is still class, i think it is Chelsea's system that does not suit his style of play, would love him to come to united still think he has a lot to offer playing in the right team.

To be fair Torres is still class, i think it is Chelsea's system that does not suit his style of play, would love him to come to united still think he has a lot to offer playing in the right team.

I agree there is still class somewhere there in him, but to blame his woes last season on Chelsea's style of play is i think being a bit generous to him. Number of sitters he completely fluffed was amazing.

I'm a complete believer in players for the national side being picked on form. A lot of England's problems over the last couple of decades for me has come from managers picking players on their name, not on their form. When Capello first came we all knew him as being a no-nonsense man, and when he declared that only in form players would be picked, i had high hopes. But low and behold, when it came to the big games, those words were revealed as being totally hollow.

Anyway, i digress. Back to Torres, whilst he did start scoring a few towards the tail end of last season, he still was for me, nothing like the player we saw at Liverpool, and i just imagined that Spain would have a handful of players ahead of him.

i find it bizarre that people can think this. they're winning matches comfortably by not letting opponents have possession, space or time. it's brilliant. how is watching xavi, alonso and iniesta boring?

Spain look a tired team to me. Whether they can see this tournament out with a couple of low scoring wins is very debateable. I would have thought Llorente from Bilbao would be worth a try up front. The amount of games the top players have played this season is frightening.

i find it bizarre that people can think this. they're winning matches comfortably by not letting opponents have possession, space or time. it's brilliant. how is watching xavi, alonso and iniesta boring?

As someone who has been quite scathing of the French team, and rated it as average at best, and as someone who thinks so highly of the Spanish (as most of us do), didn't you think they might have, if firing on all cylinders, have put a few more past them. That they didn't, is obviously of no matter whatsoever in the general scheme of things, i just think people expected something more in the clinical finishing department, and that is why the comments of boredom.

It's fair to say though that Spain have set such high standards for themselves, great things are now always expected. Any other team playing the way they did last night, perhaps would impress us more. Would blow my socks off if England did!

As someone who has been quite scathing of the French team, and rated it as average at best, and as someone who thinks so highly of the Spanish (as most of us do), didn't you think they might have, if firing on all cylinders, have put a few more past them. That they didn't, is obviously of no matter whatsoever in the general scheme of things, i just think people expected something more in the clinical finishing department, and that is why the comments of boredom.

It's fair to say though that Spain have set such high standards for themselves, great things are now always expected. Any other team playing the way they did last night, perhaps would impress us more. Would blow my socks off if England did!

i think spain have still got a lot in the tank to be honest. they're not scoring more goals because they don't need to and it's knockout football now, so why take unnecessary risks?

spain's game against portugal will be interesting as portugal have good outlets and plenty of counter attack pace. think it's probably going to take germany's organisation and midfield to really take it to spain though.

Yep dull as dish water, watching the Spanish push the ball 5 yards consistently sideways, little width and with little or no penetration, boring boring. god do they miss villa!!! the French didn't seem to have much passion and seems 2 me playing 4 france could b just a way of knocking their transfer fee's and wages up. all in all so far imo the worst game of the tournemont, so much 4 my torres prediction HUH. Best part of last night ? the itv studio team, , chiles is still and, imo, always will b a prick but keans subliminal anger, Carregher's limited vision and martinez's, intelligence seemingly marginalised, together made good viewing, I sort of almost expected it to kick off, or was that just me? Frankly they seemed more entertaining than the game.

Edited by rijit

Spain mentally destroy the opposition by keeping possession so well.Not that France needed much help in that department as they have gone backwards since their win over Ukraine.Very flaky outfit.

i think spain have still got a lot in the tank to be honest. they're not scoring more goals because they don't need to and it's knockout football now, so why take unnecessary risks?

The point being made wasn't that they aren't doing a great job, but that they weren't, at least on the basis of last night's performance, doing it in a particularly entertaining fashion. Not that they are obliged to of course, just that watching as a neutral, with all the skill they do have, it is something one rather hopes for. Playing keep ball takes a great deal of skill and one can admire it, but it hardly gets the hairs on the back of your neck standing, does it.

The point being made wasn't that they aren't doing a great job, but that they weren't, at least on the basis of last night's performance, doing it in a particularly entertaining fashion. Not that they are obliged to of course, just that watching as a neutral, with all the skill they do have, it is something one rather hopes for. Playing keep ball takes a great deal of skill and one can admire it, but it hardly gets the hairs on the back of your neck standing, does it.

yeah, it does for me as it goes. this is one of the greatest international teams that has ever played the game and the way they play possession football is utterly revolutionary. the teamwork, the togetherness, the selflessness, it's quite amazing. notwithstanding that they're there to win and not to 'entertain the neutral'.

yeah, it does for me as it goes. this is one of the greatest international teams that has ever played the game and the way they play possession football is utterly revolutionary. the teamwork, the togetherness, the selflessness, it's quite amazing. notwithstanding that they're there to win and not to 'entertain the neutral'.

As i say i have enormous admiration for what they are doing and in no way seek to belittle it, i just found that last night as a spectacle without the finishing, it was a bit dull. As for the bit about them not being there to entertain the neutral, had i not laboured enough times my awareness and appreciation of that fact?

Yeah i'm all into good football, but basically football 4 me is an 'entertainment' wingers with pace , c/fs with power pace and ect ect. Spain at the mo 4 me are just not very exciting to watch. they remind me of bands that were around pre punk, At the time everyone was enamoured and impressed that they were so technically gifted, but they turned out sterile soulless self indulgent music and watching them live equalled watching paint dry,. they didn't care about their audience all they cared about was the purity of the music, quite frankly,playing fabrigas as a c/f in the hope he mentally weakens opponents into making mistakes imo aint visually or in anyway entertaining. But everyone to their own..

Edited by rijit