Land Price Ok? + Build Price?

cheeryble

Thanks for both your posts Klikster and agreed!

Don't you just hate it when two or three farang are yakking to each other with one of their wives or girlfriends sitting on the sidelines being totally ignored like a piece of furniture? Seen it too often....

Edited by cheeryble

Thanks for both your posts Klikster and agreed!

Don't you just hate it when two or three farang are yakking to each other with one of their wives or girlfriends sitting on the sidelines being totally ignored like a piece of furniture? Seen it too often....

That is why it is good form to socialize with other couples. That way the wives can speak Thai, which they are typically more comfortable with, while the men speak English or whatever language they have in common.

Except for my own wife, I have met very few wives who can hold their own in a foreign language conversation. I am also reluctant to exchange anything more than social pleasantries with other’s wives as their husbands end up left out because of their limited Thai.

You may hate it but juggling the mix of language and the subjects of interest is not alway an easy task.

(I find it even more common to see a Farang man sitting surrounded by Thais, bored to death because he can’t understand what is going on.)

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

(I find it even more common to see a Farang man sitting surrounded by Thais, bored to death because he can’t understand what is going on.)

Yes you may be right I guess. It's certainly true that the conversation may not in the least interest the lone "outsider".

Courtesy dictates however that the person at least be regularly kept abreast of what's being talked about so they feel the group considers them an actual human.

If they're engrossed in watching Nong Teng and Tooky on their phone I suppose one's excused ha-ha.....

Contacted someone from another thread who mentioned his friend paid 1 million baht for a 1 rai lot in Ban Du a couple of years ago.

It wasn't from the horse's mouth but written clearly then confirmed, and, right or wrong, the friend apparently says the lot is worth much more now.

They're not selling anything.

Who knows?.......

Contacted someone from another thread who mentioned his friend paid 1 million baht for a 1 rai lot in Ban Du a couple of years ago.

It wasn't from the horse's mouth but written clearly then confirmed, and, right or wrong, the friend apparently says the lot is worth much more now.

They're not selling anything.

Who knows?.......

How many people do you know that openly admit they were duped in a land purchase?

Forget about foreigners and what they paid for land, find a local Thai and ask what he paid.

(I say local Thai because Thais from Bangkok are often cheated too)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The other thing about buying land here is to go to the land office BEFORE parting with any cash. Many Chanot (title deeds ) are fake. Even Thai's get conned with this type of scam. Going to the land office you can check all the details of ownership of the land and if you have a copy of the chanot for the land you are buying it can be verified by the land office.

The other thing about buying land here is to go to the land office BEFORE parting with any cash. Many Chanot (title deeds ) are fake. Even Thai's get conned with this type of scam. Going to the land office you can check all the details of ownership of the land and if you have a copy of the chanot for the land you are buying it can be verified by the land office.

Generally a copy of the chanod is OK for working purposes.

If it's not a fresh copy, even if the back's blank there might be a loan taken against the property. This shouldn't matter as the lien must be cleared before transfer, but it's the sort of thing one should know about as it can affect the deal by

1. Forcing undue haste when the loan is due. They may even sell under you if you don't keep to their timetable.

2. Putting one in a stronger position for bargaining.

I have gone so far on a piece of land on which the bank loan was due as to become the mortgagor (it's very easy in fact we used a five baht form from the photocopy office opposite the land office)

It meant I held the original deeds which the average Thai sees as a position of more power than it holds. In my case though, I was also registered on the deeds as mortgagor so they couldn't go elsewhere to gazump me without me finding out and enforcing our written agreement.

I also took the step of upping the loan on paper by 100,000 as I thought I could start backfilling the land and would be covered.

It is of course possible they could white out an encumbrance or alter the wah size or a name. This would be literally criminal and would always show up in the end, one may judge for oneself if one needs to see the original before T-Day, as it's possible some people would do the scam just for the deposit.

Edited by cheeryble

There are olive trees on the land!

How old and are they producing?

It maybe worth having the land just for them, not necessarily financially speaking of course!

How did you know that, did I say?

Yes the still alive grandad who was the original owner made a very pleasant arbor of olives along the access track bordering the land, it somewhat shades the track.

I think they're a few years old, maybe five, and they must be producing.

Actually I have thought before: why don't we get delicious marinated olives here like from the Mediterranean?

Why?

If it's not a fresh copy, even if the back's blank there might be a loan taken against the property. This shouldn't matter as the lien must be cleared before transfer, but it's the sort of thing one should know about as it can affect the deal by

1. Forcing undue haste when the loan is due. They may even sell under you if you don't keep to their timetable.

I have gone so far on a piece of land on which the bank loan was due as to become the mortgagor (it's very easy in fact we used a five baht form from the photocopy office opposite the land office)

It meant I held the original deeds which the average Thai sees as a position of more power than it holds. In my case though, I was also registered on the deeds as mortgagor so they couldn't go elsewhere to gazump me without me finding out and enforcing our written agreement.

I also took the step of upping the loan on paper by 100,000 as I thought I could start backfilling the land and would be covered.

It is of course possible they could white out an encumbrance or alter the wah size or a name. This would be literally criminal and would always show up in the end, one may judge for oneself if one needs to see the original before T-Day, as it's possible some people would do the scam just for the deposit.

I find myself in agreement with Sunnyday.thumbsup.gif The original Chanot and a trip to the land office should be high up on the list. If the other party can’t or won’t produce the original Chanot then keep on walking as that is a very bad sign. The land office should be able to give you an idea on the value of the land and what the tax and transfer costs might be.

Somehow I get the feeling you are going to do what you are going to do, regardless of what anyone here says.whistling.gif

Cheeryble, if a lien is not registered on the back on the Chanote how are you going to know about it's existence? Or are you referring to black money debt?

There are olive trees on the land!

How old and are they producing?

It maybe worth having the land just for them, not necessarily financially speaking of course!

How did you know that, did I say?

Yes the still alive grandad who was the original owner made a very pleasant arbor of olives along the access track bordering the land, it somewhat shades the track.

I think they're a few years old, maybe five, and they must be producing.

Actually I have thought before: why don't we get delicious marinated olives here like from the Mediterranean?

Why?

aparently olives need a cold spell to set fruit. I know DoiChang make some beautiful olives.

Somehow I get the feeling you are going to do what you are going to do, regardless of what anyone here says.whistling.gif

Believe me VF I am quite undecided, and I agree with the voices about not surrounding myself with injuns......though that could possibly end up to be nice who knows?

The gf's suggestion of selling on half of the land (or more if it was me which it is) may be OK if it is at least correctly priced land, of which I'm still unsure. Have no mind to have to strain just to recoup funds.

But believe me I'm appreciative of all fair advice positive and negative.

Sounds like you have a winner there. A great sounding property at a great price. I’m sure you will have no difficulty selling part of it but it sounds so wonderful I would keep the whole thing for the future. You simply can’t go wrong with real-estate, you know.

Welcome to Chiang Rai. I am sure you will fit in nicely and be very popular. We are all waiting to have coffee with you.

(I suppose this is what I should have posted in the beginning. Would have saved a lot of time and effort.)

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

I know many people who have bought land here in a wife or girlfriend's name without problems.

While I've certainly heard of cases where it has gone sour I think they are definitely in a minority.

The buy vs rent argument is an old one but personally I think there's nothing like having your own turf.

It gives your partner security and strengthens your relationship by showing trust in her.

You don't need to pay that price, bargain hard, then shop around.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Don't forget to come back and post how much money you made lost.

Then we can all have some fun posting You-tube links to 'Another One Bites The Dust', etc.

How could you possibly find pleasure in someone's misfortune? Just because they didn't follow the advice of anonymous postings on TV?

Sadly, TV seems to be overrun with folks like you. bah.gif

Then we can all have some fun posting You-tube links to 'Another One Bites The Dust', etc.

How could you possibly find pleasure in someone's misfortune? Just because they didn't follow the advice of anonymous postings on TV?

Yes, an odd phenomenon isn't it Klikster......and would you go for a coffee with Villagefarang, or pass like me?

I take my advice from Seneca and expect it occasionally as a matter of course.

Edited by cheeryble

......and would you go for a coffee with Villagefarang, or pass like me?

I'd go for a coffee with VF .... .....

He clearly has a working sense of humour.

My guess is, it might be best to avoid the guys like me who pretty much grew up here and speak Thai. After all they couldn’t possibly know anything and they may be inconsiderate enough to burst your bubble or scratch those glasses.whistling.gifthumbsup.giflaugh.png

Well, it's one thing to 'burst one's bubble' with facts and opinions. But it is quite another to stand in the shadows like a cowardly bully, jeering at someone who has made a questionable decision.

I sure as hell know who I don't want to join for coffee.

Yes, an odd phenomenon isn't it Klikster......and would you go for a coffee with Villagefarang, or pass like me?

I take my advice from Seneca and expect it occasionally as a matter of course.

Actually, I would go for coffee with VF to see if he is as egocentric as he comes off in many of his posts here.

And, if something I think I read once upon a time is true, to find out about his past associations with with the old Air Siam cabin crews.

I would also have coffee with scea*, with you, and most others in the is forum ..

• Like 1

Actually, I would go for coffee with VF to see if he is as egocentric as he comes off in many of his posts here.

And, if something I think I read once upon a time is true, to find out about his past associations with with the old Air Siam cabin crews.

I would also have coffee with scea*, with you, and most others in the is forum ..

Ah yes, the good old days of Air Siam. Alas I was not in the cabin nor a member of the crew. We at Continental, were simply contracted to do their groundwork in Hawaii. A free pass on Air Siam was how I first arrived here in 1975, just shy of my 21st birthday. shock1.gifcoffee1.gif

I fear you would be sadly disappointed in my personage and find Scea a much finer specimen.thumbsup.gif

Thankyou Klikster....

BTW despite having intentions assumed on my behalf in this thread I left CR without doing that deal. I told the gf sister the reasons, the main of which was unless the land was a very attractive price so it could be moved on at attractive terms in future, why would I buy more than I need for myself? If she chats to the owner and things change, who knows?

It was nevertheless well worthwhile posting here, apart from anything else a non-poster PM'd me and we met more than once in CR. He was very generous with his considerable experience and I learned a lot.

I will also add that I consider the gf's family were completely honest and above board in every way, and not set to receive any profit other than having close family becoming neighbours. Two CR residents, NOT from Ban Du, as soon as

Ban Du was mentioned, went "ohhh, Ban Du" connecting it with a premium in land prices.

I am still left with my former opinion that, if necessary, paying more for the RIGHT land is far the best way to go.

Cheeryble

Edited by cheeryble