Maid'S Interesting Comment -- Something To Think About?

noise

The right move is to fire your maid, cleaning lady and gardener every year or so and then hire a new one.

This prevents anyone from getting comfortable at their job. Most of the time the work ethic is starting to slip by the one year point anyway.

There are times when you find a really good employee and you want to accept him/her into your family.

If they stay long enough, this will come back to bite you in the ass.

I have a friend, his live in maid has been with them for 20+ years. She raised his 5 children.

Well guess what? Now she is old and is starting to have health problems and cant work anymore. Guess who is responsible for hospital bills?

He cant fire her now or he would be a real dick. So now he has two maids on the payroll and one doesnt work.

Dont make your employees part of the family unless you plan on being fully responsible for them later on down the line.

This isnt meant to be heartless, its just a bit of advice.

• Like 1

My (Thai) wife gives the maid a dam_n good bollocking, at least once per day

The maid does some pretty whacky stuff so I can see my wife's viewpoint

My view is we pay her less than 10 quid per day so we shouldn't expect much

The hardest part is finding someone reliable.

If someone accepts a job offer, be it one or more days a week, the least they could do is turn up.

Every maid / cleaner I've had I've fired as they have been unreliable and not even had the decency to bother to inform me if they are not coming to work.

I've even been told I'm wrong to expect a worker to come to work when they work for me by ex pats in the past.

I'm sure that even in Thai businesses and industry it is standard that if you have a job you're expected to come to work lol

My maid who is totally useless and can't get a thing right is the complete opposite, everyday she can't get a thing right and everyday i tell her not to come back tomorrow but she's still there every morning, any ideas on what i should do ?

Tell her in Thai Alfie.....wink.pnggiggle.gif

No No YB, the wife fully understands English 4.gif

If she reads this thread you'll be getting skelped with a broom methinks.....

The hardest part is finding someone reliable.

If someone accepts a job offer, be it one or more days a week, the least they could do is turn up.

Every maid / cleaner I've had I've fired as they have been unreliable and not even had the decency to bother to inform me if they are not coming to work.

I've even been told I'm wrong to expect a worker to come to work when they work for me by ex pats in the past.

I'm sure that even in Thai businesses and industry it is standard that if you have a job you're expected to come to work lol

Well ... not exactly.

"Every maid you have fired" ... when everyone else is wrong and you are right?

Not having a go but understand the thinking here.

My Lassie works as management in a largish company with the full gambit of workers.

Factory floor right up HR Managers vice presidents, co-owners etc.

She manages a team of about 15 workers plus other roles in the company.

One day when she was stressed and I asked why.

Well 2 of the factory workers didn't front, didn't ring and say why, the order was due out the next day and the company could not lose face and not deliver on time (International client ... MARS).

So she spent all day on the Factory Floor packing with the rest of the staff.

When I asked about why the Floor Workers didn't bother to come the reply was along the lines of ...

'Well, they get paid the minimum wage. If they don't come to work, they don't get paid. No big deal. No loss of face'

"Well, has the Boss thought about sacking them" I asked.

'David, the cost to 'sack' someone is quite high in Thailand ... best not to do'

Just guessing, but she, your maids, bring that laissez-faire attitude to your home.

Just saying like ...

I had someone come to clean my house once a week here and when I mentioned to my GF that the bathroom is dirty she said the lady doesn't see the little things, she never once cleaned the toilet! (and we don't have an especially small bowl). I notice here that many people don't know how to do their jobs, just ask a waitress what's in a certain dish. In America and Europe I never had to train my household staff but I did express what I expected and wanted. Of the many individuals I've had working for me here most didn't care even though I treated them very well. I have a full time gardener now who is old and occasionally doesn't show up but he's a fixture and indispensible, we love our Loung!

There are times when you find a really good employee and you want to accept him/her into your family.

I have a friend, his live in maid has been with them for 20+ years. She raised his 5 children.

Well guess what? Now she is old and is starting to have health problems and cant work anymore. Guess who is responsible for hospital bills?

The guy who had her clean his house and raise his kids for the last 20 years at a very affordable salary.

• Like 1

The right move is to fire your maid, cleaning lady and gardener every year or so and then hire a new one.

He cant fire her now or he would be a real dick. So now he has two maids on the payroll and one doesnt work.

Maybe it's just me, but the real "dick" thing to do is to fire a cleaning lady or gardener every year regardless of whether they are doing a good job or not. Also, IMHO, only a real "dick" would hire a maid (probably pretty cheap) to raise 5 children instead of him and his wife doing it themselves, and then bitching about paying an extra maid when the lady who ACTUALLY is stated as raising his children falls ill.

I would imagine 99.9% of farang's never had a maid in their own country.

I wonder why life is so stressful and difficult in Chiang Mai, that they have to have one here?

I my opinion, it's usually the couch princess that wants demands one.

There are also persons with a degree of physical incapacity who are in need of assistance as well as lonely persons who do not have a broad circle of friends and who welcome having someone come into their home, interact socially to a degree, and perform chores as well.

To these people, perhaps more than anyone else, competence is important and finding replacements even more challenging.

Sure, they need a maid. Why not ?

Cheers

The guy who had her clean his house and raise his kids for the last 20 years at a very affordable salary.

thumbsup.gif

20 years service raising 5 children...Surely that earns some benefits.

I would imagine 99.9% of farang's never had a maid in their own country.

I wonder why life is so stressful and difficult in Chiang Mai, that they have to have one here?

I my opinion, it's usually the couch princess that wants demands one.

if you can afford one why not?

Gives someone an income and gives yourself free time to enjoy other pursuits.

I suspect this is more about proletariat people coming to Thailand, who have absolutely no experience of managing domestic help.

A maid should be treated as an extended member of the family, who needs just as much leadership as one's children.

I think this applies to maids everywhere.