Kap Choeng Immigration Reopens

khwaibah

Went yesterday for a 90 day report. Very efficient and friendly, as ever.

Due to their efficiency I also had time to pop into M and D Coffee.

Very nice, clean establishment. Good smiley service. I had already had breakfast so I didn't order anything to eat but I did have a couple of cups of very nice coffee.

The host came and introduced himself. We had a little chat. I felt most welcome.

See you again in 89 days M and D.

Edited by stevo2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went today with another ex-pat for a 90 day report, very friendly as it usually always was, they had a good laugh about the Euro football when they found out my mate with me was German.

Did look for the coffee shop, couldn't see it though.

I went today with another ex-pat for a 90 day report, very friendly as it usually always was, they had a good laugh about the Euro football when they found out my mate with me was German.

It's 600m. further on, on the opposite side of the road, Thaddeus. The sign outside says M & D Coffee Shop.

It's 600m. further on, on the opposite side of the road, Thaddeus. The sign outside says M & D Coffee Shop.

What if you don't drink coffee??wink.png

Thanks, I'll pop in next report time.

What if you don't drink coffee??wink.png

During the daylight hours I only drink coffee or water, mainly water. But thanks for showing concern for a condition that I don't suffer from.

Edited by Thaddeus

• 5 weeks later...

http://"KC Immigration" lat=14.4741434846, lon=103.595414118

khwaibah, on Google Maps I see a lot of trees at the coordinates you have given. I would like to add the Kap Choeng immigration office to my map and woner if you can locate it with this lookup tool, then copy/paste the coordinates into a new post in this topic.

This is where your coordinates point me:

post-21260-0-08473700-1343757937_thumb.g

• 2 months later...

My experience with this office isnot good. We will have had four visits to this office traveling from Nongki before I finally receive my one year extension on my marriage visa. It seems like they like to nit pick. They said that my money was not in the bank long enough but the money was in the bank for over two months, except that we opened up a CD a month and a half ago. The transfer of money was at the same bank and clearly obvious in the two bank books I presented. Also, when I explained that my retirement income was supposed to offset the bank deposit they were not even interested in seeing evidence of my monthly income. The woman obviously wanted to make it clear that she had power over us and she, herself would decide whatever she wanted regardless of the law. My wife was in tears when we left the office because all of our paperwork was in order. We were very polite.

My experience with this office isnot good. We will have had four visits to this office traveling from Nongki before I finally receive my one year extension on my marriage visa. It seems like they like to nit pick. They said that my money was not in the bank long enough but the money was in the bank for over two months, except that we opened up a CD a month and a half ago. The transfer of money was at the same bank and clearly obvious in the two bank books I presented. Also, when I explained that my retirement income was supposed to offset the bank deposit they were not even interested in seeing evidence of my monthly income. The woman obviously wanted to make it clear that she had power over us and she, herself would decide whatever she wanted regardless of the law. My wife was in tears when we left the office because all of our paperwork was in order. We were very polite.

I've learned that it is most unwise, even if you have 800,000+ baht in your bank account, to change banks during that 3 months prior to a retirement extension. Having discovered that Krung Thai Bank does not pay interest on foreigner's savings accounts, I emptied the account and trotted off to the Kasikorn bank 50 metres up the road, where a new savings account was opened for me less than 30 minutes after closing out the KTB account. Thereafter, despite offering both savings books for inspection at the immigration office (Korat on that occasion), the officer to whom you refer felt unable to agree that the 3 month maturation period condition had been met. Fortunately another, somewhat friendlier officer, spoke quietly to her and my extension was granted. I too, felt I was getting a power show.

More likely though, a previous applicant had pissed her off! It happens.

• 2 weeks later...

When we opened the CD it was at the same bank. We did not change banks, we only transfered our money from a Bangkok Bank savings account to a Bangkok Bank Certificate of Deposit. Of course everything was recorded in the two bank books and the bank was happy to verify everything but nothing was good enough. Also she did not want to see any evidence of my retirement income. We noticed before we were called to her desk that the two previous customers each paid 1,900 baht for a two month visa extension as we were required to do. It is possible that the employees or office manager or whoever receives a kikback on the amount of money they bring in to the office. I cannot understand any other reason why we have to drive to that office four times from the western border of Buriram province. Also I am lead to believe that I will have to drive to that office every 90 days as they do not accept mail reporting. Can anyone confirm this?

You cannot use income to offset deposit in the bank when obtaining an extension for marriage.

Money must be in the same account for the period of seasoning.

The sixty day extensions are standard. They can be obtained for purposes of visiting wife or children. On many occasions they are issued as a convenience to the passport holder. As an example, if they had not offered you the option of a sixty day extension then you would have had to leave the country. After that you would have had to start the visa process all over again. Looks like they were doing you a favour.

Could you show me that in writing? I too had the same problem as Rfhendrix. It just says money must be in a Thai bank in the applicants sole name. While I'm on. Why have they changed the format for doing the map of where ones house is? Edited by sinbin

http://"KC Immigration" lat=14.4741434846, lon=103.595414118

khwaibah, on Google Maps I see a lot of trees at the coordinates you have given. I would like to add the Kap Choeng immigration office to my map and woner if you can locate it with this lookup tool, then copy/paste the coordinates into a new post in this topic.

This is where your coordinates point me:

post-21260-0-08473700-1343757937_thumb.g

If you go on ge you will notice that ge has NOT updated this area since 2001. The place mark is correct, there is an immigration building under the trees, Cuts down on the electricity bill for ac. I anomaly pass KCI a few times per day.

Could you show me that in writing? I too had the same problem as Rfhendrix. It just says money must be in a Thai bank in the applicants sole name. While I'm on. Why have they changed the format for doing the map of where ones house is?

As from the Immigration Rules:

In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I understand that, but where does it say it has to be in just one account. It doesn't, and there appears to be no reason why they don't like it in more than one account at the same bank. Also the 2 month rule only applies for your first extention. Every year after it's 3 months prior to renewal.

I understand that, but where does it say it has to be in just one account. It doesn't, and there appears to be no reason why they don't like it in more than one account at the same bank. Also the 2 month rule only applies for your first extention. Every year after it's 3 months prior to renewal.

or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

But it does not state it must be in one account of a Thai bank, which is the point myself and Rfhendrix are trying to put across. As long as it is in a Thai bank even if in multiple accounts what the heck does it matter? Nothing in the rules to say it must all be in the one account of a Thai bank.

Your failing is thinking logically.

Do you really expect the Immigration officer to give a hoot as to what you think. I am in agreement with your reasoning but do you think you can change the situation, I don't think so.

Sorry but I think it must be said!

Your failing is thinking logically.

Do you really expect the Immigration officer to give a hoot as to what you think. I am in agreement with your reasoning but do you think you can change the situation, I don't think so.

Sorry but I think it must be said!

I agree but isn't it better to find out the full SP before one sets out on that 4 hour round trip? I have never said that I wish to "change the situation". I just want to know if having money in one bank, 2 accounts, is acceptable. As far as I'm aware it is, until someone can varify otherwise.
  • Like 1

or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

But it does not state it must be in one account of a Thai bank, which is the point myself and Rfhendrix are trying to put across. As long as it is in a Thai bank even if in multiple accounts what the heck does it matter? Nothing in the rules to say it must all be in the one account of a Thai bank.

To be fair it does say "a money deposit in a Thai bank". That seems pretty clear to me.

It doesn't say your wife has to be a woman, but I'm sure she does.thumbsup.gif

After that kind of experience (heartfelt sympathies - your wife must have felt really let down by her own people and felt somehow responsible, i'm not surprised by her response) I think I would consider the slightly more expensive option of getting a multi non-O on the grounds of marriage from Savannakhet. If its the same procedure as a non-O from the UK consulates there are no bank balance requirements and the documentation then and thereafter is non-invasive. After the trip (long weekend holiday) to Laos you just need to cross the Cambodian - or any other - border and back ($US 20) every 3 months. A multi non-O can be made to work for 15 months if you get your timing right with the last crossing. Plausible alternative for anyone living close to a Cambodian border crossing or for regular travellers.

Edited by SantiSuk

But why would you want to have it in more than one bank account. I think it would be real hard to manage the balances to insure that you maintain the 400K balance unless you don't use the accounts at all.

I think most immigration offices would not accept more than one account because it would be more work for them to go through the copies of the bank books.

It is 2 months for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai. Retirement is 90 days after the first extension.

After that kind of experience (heartfelt sympathies - your wife must have felt really let down by her own people and felt somehow responsible, i'm not surprised by her response) I think I would consider the slightly more expensive option of getting a multi non-O on the grounds of marriage from Savannakhet. If its the same procedure as a non-O from the UK consulates there are no bank balance requirements and the documentation then and thereafter is non-invasive. After the trip (long weekend holiday) to Laos you just need to cross the Cambodian - or any other - border and back ($US 20) every 3 months. A multi non-O can be made to work for 15 months if you get your timing right with the last crossing. Plausible alternative for anyone living close to a Cambodian border crossing or for regular travellers.

I don't understand this post. I has already been pointed out that the Immigration department were not at fault; it was the poster's documents that were

Could you show me that in writing? I too had the same problem as Rfhendrix. It just says money must be in a Thai bank in the applicants sole name. While I'm on. Why have they changed the format for doing the map of where ones house is?

Can someone please tell me what the new format is so I do not make another wasted trip? Also can someone answer my previous question, i.e., Do I have to drive to Kap Choeng every 90 days or is their another option for 90 day reporting available, such as mail or reporting to another office nearer our home.

I don't understand this post. I has already been pointed out that the Immigration department were not at fault; it was the poster's documents that were

My documents were in perfect order. We did exactly as we were instructed to do in our first visit which we made to check on all of the requirements. When we did what they said they changed their mind and required something different. Also I have the option of either 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 income. They did not want to see my income at all. There is no excuse for their (or one employee's) actions even though you continue to excuse them.

Edited by rfhendrix

My documents were in perfect order. We did exactly as we were instructed to do in our first visit which we made to check on all of the requirements. When we did what they said they changed their mind and required something different. Also I have the option of either 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 income. They did not want to see my income at all. There is no excuse for their (or one employee's) actions even though you continue to excuse them.

Now you are changing your story. You originally said you wanted to use your income to top up your account. That cannot be done for a marriage extension. It can only be done for retirement. Your money had not been in the same account for 2 months so your extension was refused. Don't forget too, they gave you a 60 day extension. That is to allow your money to be seasoned correctly. Then your documents will be in order.

If you truly believe that your documents were in perfect order then complain to the Immigration hotline.

Kap Cheong do not accept 90 day reports by post.

I had good experience with the attitude of the officers in Kap Choeng.

We met a couple that had been four times, maybe that was you.

I was applying for a marriage extension for the first time based on income.. However after phoning twice and carefully noting down which documents I had to show, we were confronted with a demand to see my freedom to marry document. We didn't find it initially and went to the Amphur where they only had a copy. We eventually found it, went back to immigration early and were out in 15 minutes. We didn't meet up with a lady officer.

But why would you want to have it in more than one bank account. I think it would be real hard to manage the balances to insure that you maintain the 400K balance unless you don't use the accounts at all.

I think most immigration offices would not accept more than one account because it would be more work for them to go through the copies of the bank books.

It is 2 months for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai. Retirement is 90 days after the first extension.

What a load of tosh. I had 400,000+ in 2 accounts based on the fact I needed a Thai Credit Card as back up whilst visiting the UK. I never used the Credit Card so the money remained untouched. In Thailand to get a Credit Card you need to have 100,000 in a seperate account linked to your Credit Card. If a immigration officer cannot add 300,000+ and 100,000 then what chance have we? Plus I had the one bank letter confirming the 400,000.

And it's 2 months for the first extention and 3 months every year there after for monies to be in your bank account.