Kap Choeng Immigration Reopens

khwaibah

I had good experience with the attitude of the officers in Kap Choeng.

We met a couple that had been four times, maybe that was you.

I was applying for a marriage extension for the first time based on income.. However after phoning twice and carefully noting down which documents I had to show, we were confronted with a demand to see my freedom to marry document. We didn't find it initially and went to the Amphur where they only had a copy. We eventually found it, went back to immigration early and were out in 15 minutes. We didn't meet up with a lady officer.

So that's your idea of a "good experience"? How good were the others? You get an extention based on marriage, not income. Income is a necessity requirement for the extention. For them to demand to "see my freedom to marry document" then that is ridiculous as you wouldn't have married in the first place without it, it's part of the proceedure before you can marry. That's the first time I've heard of someone having to show it at immigration. Never been asked for it myself. Your not one of these farangs that Wai them are you ? It gives them an ego trip. http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/reader/reader173.html Edited by sinbin
  • Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice post. The guys were as polite as I was, and you are not. There are an increasing number of postings here about this coming up.

I wai when necessary and make the guys know that I am thinking about it. Maybe you should either use a spell checker or wait until you are sober before posting.

Many people have reported much worse experiences from other offices.

Try to manage your aggressive attitude, Ok?

I was applying for a marriage extension for the first time based on income.. However after phoning twice and carefully noting down which documents I had to show, we were confronted with a demand to see my freedom to marry document. We didn't find it initially and went to the Amphur where they only had a copy. We eventually found it, went back to immigration early and were out in 15 minutes. We didn't meet up with a lady officer.

So that's your idea of a "good experience"? How good were the others? You get an extention based on marriage, not income. Income is a necessity requirement for the extention. For them to demand to "see my freedom to marry document" then that is ridiculous as you wouldn't have married in the first place without it, it's part of the proceedure before you can marry. That's the first time I've heard of someone having to show it at immigration. Never been asked for it myself. Your not one of these farangs that Wai them are you ? It gives them an ego trip. http://www.stickmanb.../reader173.html

They wanted to see the so called "freedom to marry" document from my wife also. We were married in the United States so she had no such document. We may hear more about this when we return to the office later this month. I will keep you all informed.

So that's your idea of a "good experience"? How good were the others? You get an extention based on marriage, not income. Income is a necessity requirement for the extention. For them to demand to "see my freedom to marry document" then that is ridiculous as you wouldn't have married in the first place without it, it's part of the proceedure before you can marry. That's the first time I've heard of someone having to show it at immigration. Never been asked for it myself. Your not one of these farangs that Wai them are you ? It gives them an ego trip. http://www.stickmanb.../reader173.html

They wanted to see the so called "freedom to marry" document from my wife also. We were married in the United States so she had no such document. We may hear more about this when we return to the office later this month. I will keep you all informed.

You get this document at the American embassy. You have to wait a day or two and you pay for it.

But why would you want to have it in more than one bank account. I think it would be real hard to manage the balances to insure that you maintain the 400K balance unless you don't use the accounts at all.

I think most immigration offices would not accept more than one account because it would be more work for them to go through the copies of the bank books.

It is 2 months for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai. Retirement is 90 days after the first extension.

What a load of tosh. I had 400,000+ in 2 accounts based on the fact I needed a Thai Credit Card as back up whilst visiting the UK. I never used the Credit Card so the money remained untouched. In Thailand to get a Credit Card you need to have 100,000 in a seperate account linked to your Credit Card. If a immigration officer cannot add 300,000+ and 100,000 then what chance have we? Plus I had the one bank letter confirming the 400,000.

And it's 2 months for the first extention and 3 months every year there after for monies to be in your bank account.

?????????????????? NO.

But why would you want to have it in more than one bank account. I think it would be real hard to manage the balances to insure that you maintain the 400K balance unless you don't use the accounts at all.

I think most immigration offices would not accept more than one account because it would be more work for them to go through the copies of the bank books.

It is 2 months for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai. Retirement is 90 days after the first extension.

What a load of tosh. I had 400,000+ in 2 accounts based on the fact I needed a Thai Credit Card as back up whilst visiting the UK. I never used the Credit Card so the money remained untouched. In Thailand to get a Credit Card you need to have 100,000 in a seperate account linked to your Credit Card. If a immigration officer cannot add 300,000+ and 100,000 then what chance have we? Plus I had the one bank letter confirming the 400,000.

And it's 2 months for the first extention and 3 months every year there after for monies to be in your bank account.

?????????????????? NO.

You wouldn't like to place money on it, would you? You've been sprouting rubbish right through.
the 400,000 must have been in a Thai bank account for two months before application and not have fallen below that amount at any time. In subsequent years, the money must be in the bank for three months before application.
http://www.thaivisaexpert.com/visa_services.html

For them to demand to "see my freedom to marry document" then that is ridiculous as you wouldn't have married in the first place without it, it's part of the proceedure before you can marry. That's the first time I've heard of someone having to show it at immigration. Never been asked for it myself.

I got asked for that once at Immigration in Bangkok, had to make a very long round trip to the Amphur we married at to get a copy of it.

The Registrar was quite quite taken aback when we asked, in her words "why are they asking for that? if you hadn't got one I wouldn't have married you"

Rubbish eh?? How about 5000baht then Sinbin.

http://www.immigrati...777-2551_en.pdf

Why rely on out of date company websites when you can go straight to those who make the rules. Wanna "spout" something. Maybe you want the Immigration phone number just to check. Let me know if you do.

The money you can give to charity. You really are difficult Puchooay. This quote applies to a 'Marriage Extention' also.
.For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a

deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to

the filing date;

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service#

Rubbish eh?? How about 5000baht then Sinbin.

http://www.immigrati...777-2551_en.pdf

Why rely on out of date company websites when you can go straight to those who make the rules. Wanna "spout" something. Maybe you want the Immigration phone number just to check. Let me know if you do.

The money you can give to charity. You really are difficult Puchooay. This quote applies to a 'Marriage Extention' also.
.For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a

deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to

the filing date;

http://bangkok.immig...p?page=service#

Indeed, a very informative website, although a little cumbersome. If you look at the most recently updated page, which is the FAQ page, you will see that it says that money is needed in the bank for 60 days. Nothing about 1st year only. So one correct peice of advice and one, the one that you read, incorrect.

That is one reason way it is a good idea to let people who post correct information, on forums like this, to get on with it without being heckled. Especially when the information is first hand.

By the way, there is nothing difficult about being right.

I will inform my favourite charity of your impending 100 pounds donation.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well just got back home after a trip to KCI. All I wanted was to extend my tourist visa from 30 days to 60. Seemed fairly easy and straight forward, only to be told I required my marriage certificate and blue home book. <deleted>. I said I wasn't after a married retirement visa only to extend my tourist visa...anyway these are now the rules apparently.....what if I wasn't married??

All worked out in the end after the wife went to the amphor next door and requested copies of both marriage cert and proof of blue home book. So back to the KCI where I was told if I had 400,000 in a bank account I could apply and likely receive a retirement visa, which by the way I will be ready to do in about a year or 2 as I and the wife work 9 months a year in Australia.

And tea money was also demanded. What should have been a 2 hour round trip finished up 6 hours... So beware

Well just got back home after a trip to KCI. All I wanted was to extend my tourist visa from 30 days to 60. Seemed fairly easy and straight forward, only to be told I required my marriage certificate and blue home book. <deleted>. I said I wasn't after a married retirement visa only to extend my tourist visa...anyway these are now the rules apparently.....what if I wasn't married??

All worked out in the end after the wife went to the amphor next door and requested copies of both marriage cert and proof of blue home book. So back to the KCI where I was told if I had 400,000 in a bank account I could apply and likely receive a retirement visa, which by the way I will be ready to do in about a year or 2 as I and the wife work 9 months a year in Australia.

And tea money was also demanded. What should have been a 2 hour round trip finished up 6 hours... So beware

It doesn't look like you had a tourist visa. Sounds like you had a visa on arrival stamp from the airport. If that is the case then you cannot just extend by 30 days for no reason. You can however get a 60 day extension for reasons of marriage. For that you need the documents that KCI asked for. That has been a rule for a long time. You could have got 7 days with no documents. The price for either would be 1900 baht.

If you have a tourist visa then you would have received 60 days on entry. That can then be extended, without documents, by 30 days. Price 1900 baht.

Seems like you went unprepared and KCI pointed you in the right direction.

What was the total that you paid, by the way?

• Like 1

It doesn't look like you had a tourist visa. Sounds like you had a visa on arrival stamp from the airport. If that is the case then you cannot just extend by 30 days for no reason. You can however get a 60 day extension for reasons of marriage. For that you need the documents that KCI asked for. That has been a rule for a long time. You could have got 7 days with no documents. The price for either would be 1900 baht.

If you have a tourist visa then you would have received 60 days on entry. That can then be extended, without documents, by 30 days. Price 1900 baht.

Seems like you went unprepared and KCI pointed you in the right direction.

What was the total that you paid, by the way?

I am now finding out KCI were right after all.

I was thinking 30 day arrival stamp was a tourist visa, I was wrong.

1900 baht was the cost of extending to 90 days...KCI good..me bad