Manchester United

redrus

FootyMAD's West Ham United match preview

By Footymad

Saturday 16th December 2006

This week FootyMad's match preview focuses on the game between West Ham United and Manchester United at 16:00 on Sunday 17th December 2006 in the Premiership.

Footymad preview

History of the West Ham United v Manchester United fixture

Man Utd. face a trip to West Ham United at Boleyn Ground on Sunday afternoon, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 53 games played, Red Devils have recorded 11 wins, and West Ham Utd. have come away with 24 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was just last season, in November 2005, with Man Utd. inflicting a narrow 1 - 2 defeat upon the Hammers in a Premiership match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, Click here....!

Recent encounters between the teams:

2005/2006 Wed 29 Mar Man Utd. 1 - 0 West Ham Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sun 27 Nov West Ham Utd. 1 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

2002/2003 Sun 26 Jan Man Utd. 6 - 0 West Ham Utd. FAC

2002/2003 Sat 14 Dec Man Utd. 3 - 0 West Ham Utd. PREM

2002/2003 Sun 17 Nov West Ham Utd. 1 - 1 Man Utd. PREM

2001/2002 Sat 16 Mar West Ham Utd. 3 - 5 Man Utd. PREM

2001/2002 Sat 08 Dec Man Utd. 0 - 1 West Ham Utd. PREM

Recent respective form guides

West Ham United have had an average home run of late, winning and losing 3 each of the last six games. Only 4 goals have been registered in this time, with 6 in the wrong end.

Man Utd. have an average recent record on the road, winning and losing 3 each of the last six games. These low-scoring games have seen just 5 goals scored and conceded.

West Ham Utd. are stuck down in the relegation zone of Barclays Premiership with a return of just 14 points from their 17 games thus far. Man Utd. are currently sitting proudly at the top of the entire league, having collected 44 points from the 17 games played.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, Click here.

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

West Ham Utd. 6 1 0 5 1 10 3

Man Utd. 6 4 1 1 12 5 13

FootyMad's prediction ...

Man Utd. are in reasonable form away from home coming into this match, and the Madmen are quite confident that they should come away with a comfortable victory from this contest. Away win

Sequence statistics:

West Ham Utd. 8 games since last home draw.

Latest 3 games ended in defeat.

Not won in the 3 most recent games.

Man Utd. 11 games since last away draw.

Won each of the previous 4 matches.

Last drawn game 5 outings ago.

redrus

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Red, How are you doing?..Spotted this in "The Observer"..echoes my fears of the exceptional performance on the appointment of a new manager effect.. Hope not, and I guess Fergie will be wise to that...

Curb the expectations until we're safe and sound

New manager Alan Curbishley says West Ham fans must keep their feet on the ground but he has to stamp his authority on his team quickly if they are to beat the drop, says Amy Lawrence

Sunday December 17, 2006

The Observer

Day one of a new job is a reasonable enough moment to outline the essence of your managerial style, get into your new players' heads, make them appreciate how you intend to do business.

So Sir Alex Ferguson wasted no time in weeding out the drinkers when he arrived at Old Trafford and Jose Mourinho instantly told everyone that he was 'The Special One'. And last week Alan Curbishley gathered the West Ham squad together and told them: 'This is us. I expect you to train the way we play. I expect certain things on and off the pitch and if I get them I will take what comes along. I'm straight. No favourites. I try to deliver. That's me.'

So low key is Curbishley capable of sounding, sometimes it feels as though he is the straight man of a double act rather than the leading light. Having said that, a fanfare entrance does not necessarily win a survival race.

Curbishley is an understandable choice to guide West Ham, steadily and surely, out of their predicament. But the more interesting consideration is whether he is the man to oversee a brave new world in the longer term. His record in transforming Charlton from penniless to Premiership establishment is admirable. But along the way he had minimal experience of the kind of prestigious transfers that are thought to be of interest to West Ham's new Icelandic owners. Jason Euell, who cost £4.5 million, was Curbishley's biggest signing in his 15 years as Charlton manager.

It seemed strange that West Ham's well-connected kingmaker, Eggert Magnusson, did not even consider appointing a big shot from overseas. 'It was never in my mind to get a manager from abroad,' said the club's new chairman. 'The problem is, if you consider the best manager to be Marcello Lippi or Felipe Scolari, they don't speak the language. It is a difficult enough job. I have seen it already in our dressing room. We have two Argentinian players who sit there with an interpreter and they don't understand one single thing that is being said.'

Magnusson mimicked them slumping, looking vacant, before insisting that he was so sure about Curbishley's abilities as a manager that he had butterflies in his stomach before they met for the first time to discuss the road ahead.

The dynamic between these two men, who have known each other for less than a week, is central to West Ham's efforts to unlock the potential they both believe in. Curbishley has come from a 'cosy' 15-year relationship with the board at Charlton to discover that he will be working with a headstrong, excitable individual.

'He is very pushy and he wants to do things quickly and make this club successful,' said Curbishley. 'Perhaps I'm going to have to curb his enthusiasm a little bit.

'At the moment, West Ham's ambitions are the same as Charlton's. We've got to get out of the bottom three. But the thing that attracted me is, if we do, the future will be different. Eggert has said he wants the club to push on in a way that perhaps Charlton couldn't.'

Curbishley makes it crystal clear that long-term adventure is all well and good, but his only concern for now is climbing the table.

'Perhaps I've been classed as cautious and unadventurous and bread and butter but the reason for some of that is to dampen expectations a little bit. I don't want to get ahead of myself. Last summer this club were talking about Champions League. On the back of a great season and being a minute away from winning the FA Cup, I kept hearing about what West Ham were going to do. I thought, "Hold on." Remember Ipswich, who came fifth and got into Europe and it all suddenly changed. People get carried away. The summer is the time to think about the bigger picture.'

Immediate trouble-shooting includes the focus of the captain, Nigel Reo-Coker, retrieving the confidence of left-back Paul Konchesky, who fell out with Curbishley when he was a player at The Valley, and working out what to do with Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

None of the pronouncements to come out of the club in the past week indicates that there is a rosy future for the Argentinians at West Ham. 'As far as I understand it they have got to be here anyway until the end of the season,' said Curbishley. 'All I've said to them is, "You're here. I've never seen you play. I've not seen you train live. Get on with it." '

Starting from today, he will pick players best equipped to get the team out of trouble. In the past, he has always regarded matches against the top four teams as 'bonus balls', but the quest for points is so urgent that he has changed his tune for this afternoon's high-stakes collision with Manchester United. 'We are running out of games and we need points,' he said with a shrug.

And so this West Ham fan will attend his first live match of the season this afternoon from the unique vantage point of the home team's dugout. His old friend Fergie had invited him to share a pre-match drink at United's hotel on the eve of the game before last week's whirlwind steered Curbishley back into the thick of the action.

What had looked an easy match for United is now complicated by the possibility of 'new manager syndrome', where a team overperform for the new man in charge. Curbishley is not over-familiar with playing opponents galvanised by a fresh spark, having mainly come across the opposite effect.

'I remember Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish left quite soon after Charlton beat them,' he said. 'But I don't think Alex will be quaking in his boots.'

Get in there Reds.., Oh, and one for the Toffees too.. :o

Squads, quotes, weather etc.

FERGIE:

"We are making away games harder for ourselves by not taking our chances.

"We could have won by six at Reading and ended up drawing, which was a slip, and we should have won by a lot more at Sheffield United and Middlesbrough.

"Overall, the players have been doing fantastically and I have to trust them, but it is an area where we can improve.

"I would take that right now.

"There is no doubt Sunday will be a harder game for us now," he said.

"The West Ham players will have an increased energy and desire because they will want to convince and impress their new manager.

"But maybe that will be a good thing for us because we will have no illusions about the task that awaits us."

BBC:

New West Ham boss Alan Curbishley should have Anton Ferdinand available again after the defender's recovery from an ankle injury.

But Danny Gabbidon (hamstring) is still out and striker Dean Ashton (ankle) will not be ready to return until at least next month.

Patrice Evra remains Manchester United's only injury absentee.

That means Sir Alex Ferguson could name an unchanged side from the one that beat Manchester City 3-1.

West Ham (from): Green, Carroll, Konchesky, McCartney, Ferdinand, Collins, Spector, Bowyer, Reo-Coker, Benayoun, Etherington, Tevez, Harewood, Mascherano, Zamora, Sheringham, Pantsil, Mears, Cole, Noble, Dailly

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, Fletcher, O'Shea, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Park, Richardson, Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer, Saha.

PA:

The Premiership leaders will be looking to consolidate their five-point advantage over Chelsea, and Sir Alex Ferguson could name an unchanged side.

United have an impressive away record this term, failing to win on just one occasion - at Reading - although with Alan Curbishley taking charge of the Hammers for the first time another victory will not be easy.

Kick-off at Upton Park is 4pm.

United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, Fletcher, O'Shea, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Park, Richardson, Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer, Saha.

WEATHER:

The Beeb say it should be 9°C and sunny. We are expecting to be dark at or around 4:05pm.

redrus

"There could be another level to Chelsea — they could get worse."

More:

"Apparently we have already lost a game which was due to be played in April.

"It's quite good really because we can have a rest on that weekend now. I can put my reserve team out, so we can save our energies for the next game.

"You never know. We could actually win, or we might be 20 points clear. I think the best thing for us to do is concentrate on ourselves because we are doing the right things.

"I have always said, once we get January 1 over with, you are able to tell the shape of the league.

"It is only then you know who will be challenging for the league with you and who will be involved in the relegation fight. It never changes in that respect.

"Hopefully, when we get to that point, we will be in a position where we know we will have a big, big chance.

"Don’t forget that Chelsea’s level this season is already better than it was in the previous two years.

"I would rather pay attention to my own team and I wouldn’t mind if we were two points behind Chelsea because we are going in the right direction and we have an outstanding chance this year," Ferguson said. "We can get better. The area where we do have to improve away from home is the number of chances missed.

"Against Reading we drew 1-1 and could have scored six. Looking at our performances at Sheffield United and Middlesbrough, we should have won those games by more. We have to realise that we are making away games harder for ourselves if we don’t take chances.

"We had a bad experience last year, but this is a different United team. It’s an emerging team, which is getting better all the time, and we’re really looking forward to the tie.

"To get to this stage is fantastic. We’ve improved as a team so much since last year and I’m sure they will be two great ties. We know it will be difficult, but that’s what the Champions League at this stage is all about.

"It is three or four years since we got beyond the last 16. If we can get through, that is the direction the club should be taking. This is a club that has had some terrific journeys in the competition to finals, semi-finals and quarter-finals.

"But this team is young enough to be in contention for a number of years. The most important thing is that we are there and good enough to win."

redrus

Fergie hints at more surprises

By Tom Adams - Sky- Created on 16 Dec 2006

Sir Alex Ferguson has hinted he could be ready to make another surprise addition to his squad to follow the capture of Henrik Larsson.

The Manchester United manager worked his magic in the transfer market to bring the Swedish striker to Old Trafford on a loan deal that begins in January, and it has been suggested that Larsson represents the limit of his New Year acquisitions.

However Ferguson has now suggested he may yet have another ace up his sleeve as The Red Devils look to consolidate their place at the top of the Premiership.

"You never know, I may sign someone else," said Ferguson.

"No-one expected Henrik Larsson and I might surprise everyone again."

United's usurpation of rivals Chelsea has seen Ferguson in his element, with the mind games coming thick and fast from both Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge.

Now the master of managerial psychology has gone on the offensive again after Jose Mourinho suggested United's five-point lead is, in reality, just two as The Red Devils have to visit Stamford Bridge on 14th April.

"Apparently we have already lost a game which was due to be played in April," laughed Ferguson

"It's quite good really because we can have a rest on that weekend now. I can put my reserve team out, so we can save our energies for the next game.

"You never know. We could actually win, or we might be 20 points clear. I think the best thing for us to do is concentrate on ourselves because we are doing the right things."

redrus

Excuse me, but why are you congratualting us on a ManU site and not in the appropriate place :D

We have the old spirit back from last season and we always did like to give the 'big boys' a kick up the arse sometimes. It's the West Ham way :o

I know you must be very excited but calm down a bit Mate, we are United by our passion for Football, and we are all very civil to each other here, of course we all support different teams..but we all gotta get along right?

Or were you just taking the p1ss?????

TP

I know you must be very excited but calm down a bit Mate, we are United by our passion for Football, and we are all very civil to each other here, of course we all support different teams..but we all gotta get along right?

Or were you just taking the p1ss?????

Bit too long in the tooth to be called excitable mate. But I thought that the use of emoticons was supposed to give an indication of what was intended behind comments? No?

PS

Piss taking was always part of what was called banter in my part of the world. If not football culture per se. HTH

I guess this is the time old Fergie calls "squeaky bum time", we are hot on your heels now Red,

I know we are not playing to our best at the moment but looking at the last few results, god help you all when we do kick into gear!! :o

I guess this is the time old Fergie calls "squeaky bum time", we are hot on your heels now Red,

I know we are not playing to our best at the moment but looking at the last few results, god help you all when we do kick into gear!! :o

:D :D :D

I was going to include some quotes from Didier Dogboy but, I can't be arsed. Waste of air and bandwidth. :D

December to May. Long time....!

redrus

Louis Saha has signed a new contract to stay at Manchester United until 2010.

The France international has established himself as United's first-choice striker this season following Ruud van Nistelrooy's sale to Real Madrid.

He has scored 12 goals this term, including eight in the Premiership to help The Red Devils to the top of the table.

Saha has now been rewarded with a new deal at Old Trafford and he expressed his delight at being offered the extension.

"It's great news," Saha told the club's official website.

"I'm really enjoying my time here and I wanted to show my commitment to Manchester United, but also repay the faith that Sir Alex has shown in me.

"Hopefully we will have an exciting end to the season and add some silverware to the trophy room."

Sir Alex Ferguson feels Saha fully deserves the contract extension, saying: "I'm delighted that we have extended Louis's contract.

"We are happy to see Louis here until at least 2010 and to add him to the other players who have recently signed new contracts like Cristiano and Wayne, but also to the new additions such as Patrice and Nemanja. It bodes well for the future."

Saha joined United from Fulham for £12.8 million in January 2004, but prior to this season had been beset by injury problems.

He has scored 36 goals in 87 appearances for the club and is forming a profitable partnership with Wayne Rooney in attack.

redrus

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Henrik Larsson is arriving at the most important juncture in Manchester United's title challenge. All from Sky.

United saw their lead at the top of the Premiership reduced to two points over the weekend after a defeat at West Ham was preceded by Chelsea's win at Everton.

But The Red Devils' attacking options will receive a boost in the New Year when Larsson arrives on a two-and-a-half month loan from Helsingborgs.

Ferguson feels the Swedish striker's experience could play a vital role in fending off Chelsea for the title.

"I think we do maybe need an experienced player," said Ferguson.

"I hope it is important. This could be the short period that is the most important part of the season for us and I hope it is.

"I think ideally his best position would be in a central striking role, but I have seen him play on the right-hand side and the left-hand side in games.

"He is equally capable in these positions, but the most important thing is he has a tremendous goal instinct and it's a great addition he's bringing to our club."

The United boss also thanked Helsingborgs for allowing Larsson to move to Old Trafford, but accepts it could be hard letting the forward return to Sweden.

He added: "That is a difficulty, but I think the job will have been done in relation to keeping us at the sharp end of all the competitions.

"I will be sorry for that day to come, but in fairness to Helsingborgs, they've been very good and I wouldn't want to intrude on their ambitions, so we also have to be fair with that.

"The fairness come from them in the first place and we have to return that favour."

Henrik Larsson admits he would have no problems being deployed as a 'super-sub' by Manchester United.

The Swedish striker will link up with United from Helsingborgs in January on a short-term loan deal.

He is expected to provide the cover in attack for the Premiership leaders, having been used successfully in that role by Barcelona last season.

Larsson is happy to play in any position for United and is leaving it to Sir Alex Ferguson to make the decision.

"Obviously the gaffer decides where and when he's going to play me," said Larsson.

"For me that's (being a sub) never been a problem, it's not a problem for me.

"I know what I'm here for and hopefully I can do it. What I can do is train as good as possible and whenever I get a chance to play, play as good as possible.

"That's what I can do - I try to always win and when I train I do 100 per cent, that's all I really can do."

The former Celtic hot shot is confident he can adjust to the pace of the Premiership and is relishing his stint with United.

He added: "I think whenever you are in the penalty area, you need to finish as quickly as possible and that's no different from playing in Sweden or somewhere else.

"When you get the chance, it's important to take it as quick as possible, and when you need to be calm, be calm. Hopefully I can do that here as well.

"I'm really looking forward to this. I'm going to take one game at a time and see what's happening."

Sir Alex Ferguson expects Henrik Larsson to make his Manchester United debut in the FA Cup against Aston Villa.

The veteran striker is joining United on loan in January, but will not be eligible for the New Year's Day encounter with Newcastle United.

His first appearance for the club is likely to come in the third-round tie with Villa on January 7, when he will come up against his former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill.

"We are happy and delighted we've got Henrik," said Ferguson at a news conference on Sky Sports News.

"I would think he'll be playing his first game against Aston Villa, and his old manager Martin O'Neill, on January 7th in the FA Cup tie.

"He has had to do it before, playing for Barcelona against Celtic, so it's not as if it's an unusual one for him. Nonetheless, it will be an interesting day for us."

Larsson is training with United this week ahead of arriving for his two-and-a-half month stint from Helsingborgs.

The Swede's signing took many by surprise and Ferguson revealed even his own players were caught on the hop.

"I think it has done that, I don't think there is any question of that," replied Ferguson when asked if Larsson's signing had created a buzz.

"When I announced it a few players came up to me and said that was a good one, and they were surprised at the suddenness of it and the secrecy of it.

"I think there's a general warm feeling in the dressing room about it and he has come at a good time in the championship race."

redrus

*this just in from Talkmanunited.

Fergie Rules Out Larsson Extension

Wednesday December 20th 2006, 1:00 pm

Filed under: Player News

Sir Alex Ferguson has stressed that Manchester United will not look to extend Henrik Larsson’s short stint at Old Trafford out of respect for Helsingborg.

The Swedish striker starts his loan spell in January, making his debut in the FA Cup against Aston Villa, after being unveiled at a press conference on Wednesday. Ferguson believes the veteran forward’s arrival has created a buzz around the dressing room but the former Celtic and Barcelona star will return home as planned on March 12. “I hope it is important, and I make that point, that this short period could be the most important part of the season for us,” said Ferguson of the deal. “That is a difficulty [Larsson returning] but I think the job will have been done in relation to keeping us at the sharp end of all the competitions.

“I think, in fairness to Helsingborg, they’ve been very good and we wouldn’t want to intrude on their season also. “When I announced it, a few players came to me and said: ‘Good one, where did you get that one from?’ “They were surprised at the suddeness and secrecy of it. Even you lads [the press], we had you! There’s a general warm feeling in the dressing about it and it’s come at a good time. “The title race looks like going the whole road and players like Henrik are going to help that.” Larsson will feature in the FA Cup tie against former manager Martin O’Neill’s Villa, United’s next opponents in the Premiership on Saturday. “We are happy and delighted we’ve got Henrik,” continued Ferguson. “I would think he’ll be playing his first game against Villa, against his old manager, on January 7. “It’s an FA Cup tie and he’s played against Martin before, with Barcelona, so it’s not as if it’s an unusual one for him. “Nonetheless, it’ll be an interesting day for us.

Love him, hate him.. there's no doubt that Ronaldo is a wonderful player. He was magnificent yesterday, as this report from the "Observer" points out:

Cristiano's stockings full of gifts for United

Stuart James at Villa Park

Sunday December 24, 2006

The Observer

This fixture provides about as much surprise as a Christmas present without wrapping paper. Not since 1995 have Manchester United lost at Villa Park in the league and a combination of Cristiano Ronaldo's brilliance and an outstanding goal from Paul Scholes ensured that run did not come to an end.

Victory gives United 47 points, a total that after 19 games of the season has never failed to bring the title. Ferguson might not have been aware of that statistic but he did not need anyone to point out the significance of United's position. 'Perhaps that shows we shouldn't believe Jose Mourinho,' said the United manager. 'He said Chelsea would be top at Christmas and they're not. He had to apologise this week about lying about an Everton player [Andrew Johnson] so perhaps he should apologise again.'

United had failed to find any rhythm against an obdurate Aston Villa side in the first half, but the shackles were removed in spectacular style after the interval. Ronaldo ran from inside his own half to score 13 minutes after the restart, before Scholes thundered an unstoppable volley in off the underside of the crossbar to seal victory moments later. The latter goal prompted Edwin van der Sar to run to the halfway line to celebrate, such was the majesty of the strike. With Villa now reeling, United inflicted a final blow five minutes from time, Ronaldo finishing off a move that had started with Ryan Giggs on the edge of the Villa penalty area.

It was a moment that confirmed United's second-half superiority, with the visitors' exhilarating ability to turn defence into attack draining the last traces of belief from Martin O'Neill's embattled side. It is now seven matches since Villa last won, a sequence that has checked the momentum that followed the manager's arrival. With fixtures against Spurs on Boxing Day and the visit of Chelsea following a trip to Charlton, the festive period promises to bring Villa little cheer.

On this evidence, Sir Alex Ferguson can anticipate a much better return. He could afford to leave Wayne Rooney on the substitutes' bench, a family bereavement earlier in the week cited as the reason for Ferguson resting his most penetrative player, and still win at a canter. Not that Ferguson was in danger of getting carried away by this success. The United manager showed he has lost none of his hunger when he subjected Giggs to the infamous hairdryer.

United were already two goals to the good when the Welshman, in possession on the left flank, attempted to pick out Louis Saha with a crossfield ball instead of the more obvious pass to Ronaldo. Ferguson's face took on a distinctly purple hue as he stepped out of his touchline area to berate Giggs with a verbal barrage. Later Ferguson would offer much more welcoming words about Ronaldo. 'He was a revelation,' said Ferguson.

The Portuguese was the game's outstanding performer, his superb skill allied to searing pace brutally exposed Villa's defensive frailties. Indeed at times it was tempting to feel sorry for Villa's right-back, Aaron Hughes, who was probably left feeling he had twisted blood on more than one occasion as Ronaldo wreaked havoc. It says much for Ronaldo that during a lacklustre first-half display from United, he was the one player who looked threatening in possession.

Villa might even have gone ahead early on, but Craig Gardner's header, after Chris Sutton flicked on Gareth Barry's free-kick, came back off the upright. The home side were posing problems at that point, with Gabriel Agbonlahor's willing running upsetting the United defence. Ferguson admitted that he was 'worried' by 'Villa's energy' in the opening 45 minutes, when Gavin McCann and Gardner snapped into tackles, but the United manager's fears would be swiftly allayed.

Ronaldo, picking up possession inside his own half, strode purposefully forward before sashaying across the Villa area and firing a shot that struck Gary Cahill. The rebound dropped at the Portuguese's feet and this time he struck a vicious drive inside Gabor Kiraly's near post to notch United's 2,000th goal under Ferguson. 'It was the turning point in the game,' said O'Neill. 'We lost our shape after that and they punished us with a terrific second goal.'

The 'terrific goal' belonged to Scholes, whose response to McCann's clearing header was to propel a thundering 20-yard volley beyond Kiraly. From then on United were playing exhibition football, with the third and final goal emblematic of the ease with which victory was achieved. Giggs initiated the attack before Scholes, Rooney and Neville combined to find Ronaldo, the mercurial winger tapping in at the far post in front of the United fans.

Man of the match: Cristiano Ronaldo

The Portuguese was outstanding, his two goals thoroughly deserved on an afternoon when he again silenced the away fans' taunts. His movement and skill proved too much for Villa, and the ease with which he tore upfield to put United ahead said much about the confidence coursing through his play.

Top for Christmas..... :D:o

Merry Xmas to Red and all the Utd fans in the MU thread ... Oh, and all the MU haters too (that includes you Mr BJ :D ) ... time to forgive and forget .... :D ... until the new year .... :o

Thanks mate and all the best tyo everyone.

I hope Christmas brings all the happiness you need and more. :D

redrus

TP, you've had a point off us already this season.... :o

Manchester United 3 Wigan Athletic 1

by Footymad

Match report of this afternoon's home win in the clash against Wigan Athletic.

Manchester United extended their lead at the top of the Premiership table to four points after a comfortable victory over Wigan Athletic.

United's latest success against the Latics at Old Trafford hardly came as a surprise.

Since Wigan started their Premiership life last season, the Red Devils have banged in 12 goals to the Latics' two and taken maximum points.

Add to that a 4-0 drubbing in last season's Carling Cup final and you can understand the sinking feeling Wigan get whenever they face Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

United achieved their latest Premiership double against their Lancashire rivals with Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville rested and Louis Saha and Cristiano Ronaldo on the substitute's bench.

Wigan held out until half-time before Ferguson brought on Ronaldo for Darren Fletcher.

Within five minutes United were 2-0 up courtesy of a Ronaldo double and Wigan were heading for another defeat.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer added United's third goal just before the hour, although Wigan skipper Leighton Baines did bag a consolation effort with his injury-time penalty.

Wigan must have felt like the fisherman waiting for the storm as they went in goalless at the break.

They had comfortably held a lacklustre United team in the opening half with their defence coping competently, although goalkeeper Chris Kirkland had to make two excellent saves.

The first came after six minutes when Wayne Rooney connected with West Brown's right-wing cross at the far post and Kirkland produced a brilliant reflex stop to deny the England striker from point-blank range.

Kirkland made another good save in the 40th minute with a full stretch effort to keep out Paul Scholes' ferocious low 35-yard shot.

Ferguson brought on Ronaldo at the start of the second half and 70 seconds later the deadlock was broken.

Scholes curled his corner into the centre of the Wigan penalty area and Ronaldo was left free to rise and head the ball home from eight yards.

Wigan were reeling again three minutes later. The Latics defenders performed their own seasonal pantomime routine as they made a complete hash of clearing the ball from Solskjaer.

Ji-Sung Park pounced and was brought down by Gary Teale close to the penalty spot, leaving referee Mike Riley no option but to blow for a foul.

The on fire Ronaldo stepped up to blast his effort to Kirkland's right, but the England goalkeeper guessed correctly to keep the ball out.

Unfortunately for Wigan, the rebound fell perfectly for Ronaldo to tap his shot in from eight yards.

United built further on their momentum in the 59th minute with the best goal of their trio.

John O'Shea's clearance out of defence saw Rooney win the ball in his aerial challenge with Emmerson Boyce.

Solskjaer raced on to the ball, beating off the challenge of Wigan defender Fitz Hall, before placing his shot beyond the on-rushing Kirkland and into the net from 12 yards.

Rooney was denied a deserved goal in the 76th minute. Good work by O'Shea, Solskjaer, Park and Ronaldo created the opening for Rooney in the Wigan box and his vicious shot from 12 yards crashed against the bar.

To their credit, Wigan kept on going and were rewarded with a goal seconds into injury time.

A superb run saw substitute David Cotterill put into the United box from the right before being upended by Mikael Silvestre.

Mr Riley pointed to the spot and Baines stepped up to blast the resulting penalty straight into the middle of the net as United goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar dived to his left.

But the goal could not dampen United's joy as they extended their lead over Chelsea at the top of the table.

redrus

MATCH VIEWS FROM THE BROADSHEETS

redissue

They are impressed.

INDIE - RONALDO TURNS CONTEST INTO A ROUT

The day before Tampa Bay take on Cleveland in the NFL, Malcolm Glazer's Manchester United buccaneers had much the better of Randy Lerner's Aston Villa browns - sorry, clarets - in the Premiership's equivalent fixture, scoring three times in the second half to run away with the points. What would Glazer's struggling American outfit not give for the equivalent of a Cristiano Ronaldo? Unloved and abused throughout the land, the young Portuguese maestro was again the outstanding figure as United shrugged off last weekend's unlucky defeat at West Ham to ensure that they will lead the table over Christmas.

The marathon that is the Premiership has now reached the halfway stage, and United are striding confidently with only Chelsea still in touch. Sir Alex Ferguson, thrilled by his team's performance after the interval, could not resist a jibe at Jose Mourinho: "That just proves we shouldn't listen too much to Jose. He said we wouldn't be top at Christmas. He had to apologise for lying about an Everton player in midweek. Perhaps he should be apologising again."

Oddly, the top two play three of the same teams over the so-called holiday period; Chelsea can only hope that when they follow United to Villa Park on Tuesday week, Martin O'Neill's side have still not recovered their early-season vim. Seven games without a win, they have fallen to their lowest position of the whole campaign and badly need to flash some of Mr Lerner's cash in the transfer window.

Youngsters such as Gabriel Agbonlahor, preferred to both Milan Baros and Juan Pablo Angel, are running out of steam. Villa could also do with Ronaldo being absent for their two visits to Old Trafford in January.

Pitch appearances before the game by Cyrille Regis and the 1981 championship-winning manager, Ron Saunders - who had not been back since - were a reminder of the days when Villa used to beat yesterday's visitors on a more regular basis. They have not done so since the opening day of the 1995-96 season. Since then United's favourite ground outside Manchester had yielded 11 wins (four in FA Cup semi-finals) and three draws.

The single moment that brought a full-throated roar from a sold-out Villa Park came in the 12th minute as Chris Sutton nodded on Gareth Barry's free-kick for the 20-year-old debutant Craig Gardner, whose header struck a post. If United did not come quite that close to a goal before half-time, they required the home defence to be on a state of fairly constant alert.

Gabor Kiraly was nevertheless required to make only one save, when Ronaldo headed Ryan Giggs's corner straight at him. Ronaldo and Park Ji-Sung wasted the first half-chance after the interval by over-elaboration inside the penalty area, but at least the Portuguese is becoming more self-aware. Conscious that it was not the first occasion on which he had been guilty of over-indulgence, he took the more direct route and a goal resulted. Giggs, on the halfway line, sent him away to sprint at three defenders, one of whom, Gary Cahill, managed to block the first shot but, like Kiraly, could not prevent Ronaldo's fierce follow-up flying into the net for the 2,000th United goal under Ferguson.

Six minutes later Ronaldo returned the favour with another glorious run down the left and a cut-back for Giggs, whose shot was deflected by Cahill for a corner. Giggs took it, Gavin McCann headed out and watched, as awestruck as the rest of the stadium as Paul Scholes hit a magnificent volley in off the crossbar from 25 yards.

It was not the ideal time to see Rooney coming on against you, as he set up Ronaldo for what might easily have been a third goal, Kiraly this time managing to get down and make the save. The same combination pulled Villa apart again eight minutes from time, Ronaldo tapping in Rooney's centre only to be given offside. So they did it again, this time bringing Gary Neville into the fun to receive from Rooney and cross for Ronaldo's second goal. It had become a rout.

THE OBSERVER - CHRISTIANO'S STOCKING FULL OF GIFTS FOR UNITED

This fixture provides about as much surprise as a Christmas present without wrapping paper. Not since 1995 have Manchester United lost at Villa Park in the league and a combination of Cristiano Ronaldo's brilliance and an outstanding goal from Paul Scholes ensured that run did not come to an end.

Victory gives United 47 points, a total that after 19 games of the season has never failed to bring the title. Ferguson might not have been aware of that statistic but he did not need anyone to point out the significance of United's position. 'Perhaps that shows we shouldn't believe Jose Mourinho,' said the United manager. 'He said Chelsea would be top at Christmas and they're not. He had to apologise this week about lying about an Everton player [Andrew Johnson] so perhaps he should apologise again.'

United had failed to find any rhythm against an obdurate Aston Villa side in the first half, but the shackles were removed in spectacular style after the interval. Ronaldo ran from inside his own half to score 13 minutes after the restart, before Scholes thundered an unstoppable volley in off the underside of the crossbar to seal victory moments later. The latter goal prompted Edwin van der Sar to run to the halfway line to celebrate, such was the majesty of the strike. With Villa now reeling, United inflicted a final blow five minutes from time, Ronaldo finishing off a move that had started with Ryan Giggs on the edge of the Villa penalty area.

It was a moment that confirmed United's second-half superiority, with the visitors' exhilarating ability to turn defence into attack draining the last traces of belief from Martin O'Neill's embattled side. It is now seven matches since Villa last won, a sequence that has checked the momentum that followed the manager's arrival. With fixtures against Spurs on Boxing Day and the visit of Chelsea following a trip to Charlton, the festive period promises to bring Villa little cheer.

On this evidence, Sir Alex Ferguson can anticipate a much better return. He could afford to leave Wayne Rooney on the substitutes' bench, a family bereavement earlier in the week cited as the reason for Ferguson resting his most penetrative player, and still win at a canter. Not that Ferguson was in danger of getting carried away by this success. The United manager showed he has lost none of his hunger when he subjected Giggs to the infamous hairdryer.

United were already two goals to the good when the Welshman, in possession on the left flank, attempted to pick out Louis Saha with a crossfield ball instead of the more obvious pass to Ronaldo. Ferguson's face took on a distinctly purple hue as he stepped out of his touchline area to berate Giggs with a verbal barrage. Later Ferguson would offer much more welcoming words about Ronaldo. 'He was a revelation,' said Ferguson.

THE SUNDAY TIMES - RONALDO DEMOLISHES VILLA

So Upton Park was no more than a blip after all. United ensured that they would lead the Premiership at Christmas for the first time in three years by overcoming Villa’s stubborn resistance in the second half, when Cristiano Ronaldo ran amok. Villa were spikily competitive for a long time, but were eventually outclassed, and after that promising start under Martin O’Neill they have now gone seven games without a win, which must be cause for concern.

They were always second-best against opponents determined to atone for last weekend’s defeat at West Ham. United had a matchwinner in Cristiano Ronaldo, who gave Aaron Hughes a miserable afternoon, and was outstanding throughout. The Portuguese trickster scored two goals and had another disallowed for offside. In terms of the champagne moment, however, he had to give first place to Paul Scholes, who crowned a trojan stint in midfield with a volley from distance that was special, even by his standards.

United now play Wigan, Reading and Newcastle over the rest of the Christmas programme, and are going to take some catching. They may lack Chelsea’s strength in depth — witness the prosaic contributions of Darren Fletcher and Park Ji Sung — but if they can steer clear of injuries and suspensions, the dream is on.

Sir Alex Ferguson certainly believes it. "This just proves that you shouldn’t listen to Jose Mourinho," he chortled. "He said Chelsea would be top at Christmas, but they’re not. Ours was a fantastic performance against a good side. There was a lot of energy in the Villa team and we had to handle that."

For a crowd in festive mood, there was a nostalgic treat shortly before the kick-off when Ron Saunders was feted on his return to Villa Park. The manager who won the league with Villa in 1981 walked out over a contractual dispute and took charge of Birmingham City the next season, leaving his erstwhile assistant, Tony Barton, to oversee the club’s finest hour, when they won the European Cup in 1982. This was the first time that Saunders, 74, had been back to watch a match since his acrimonious departure and, deservedly, he was given the warmest of receptions.

United made two significant changes to the team beaten last weekend. Michael Carrick could be out for a fortnight with an ankle injury, and gave way to Fletcher, and Wayne Rooney spent the first 66 minutes on the bench before getting on for Park. Ferguson explained that Rooney had missed two days’ training after suffering a family bereavement in midweek.

redrus

*apologies people, those last two posts were the wrong way round.

28/12/2006 12:02, Report by Ben Hibbs on the Official Site.

Boss plans to utilise squad

Sir Alex Ferguson will make full use of his squad when Reading visit Old Trafford on Saturday, but the Reds boss knows to be wary of the Royals.

Reading have already taken two points off United this season with a 1-1 draw at the Madejski Stadium in September.

Steve Coppell's men caused another upset on Boxing Day when they drew 2-2 with Chelsea.

"We have to be wary of Reading," he confirmed. "I wasn't really surprised by the way they performed at Chelsea, although I was pleasantly delighted by the result. It just reinforced what we will have to do this weekend."

Sir Alex knows the challenge that faces him is finding a balance between resting players and giving opportunities to others in his squad whilst also maintaining United's three-point advantage at the top of the Premiership.

"We are coming to the part of the season where we have to utilise the squad," he said. "I need to show some of the players who haven't been in the team regularly that I have confidence in them.

"I also need them to have minutes on the clock in case we do pick up injuries and suspensions."

redrus

Striker set for Reds return; Eatsleepsport. Thu, Dec 28 2006 11:24

Giuseppe Rossi has thanked Newcastle for his time at the club but says he cannot wait to return to Manchester United.

The young striker joined the Magpies on loan back in August and was hoping to get some regular first-team action under his belt during his four months at St James Park.

Despite a host of injuries at Newcastle, Rossi failed to force his way into the Newcastle first team on a regular basis and is now poised to return to Old Trafford.

Rossi would have liked more games but will take the positives out of his time on Tyneside.

"It has helped me coming to Newcastle," Rossi revealed. "I'd have liked to have played more games, which has been a little frustrating. But in life I believe that you take something from every experience, whether it is good or bad."

Meanwhile, Rossi is now looking forward to returning to Manchester United and hopes to play some part as the Reds battle it out with Chelsea for the Premiership title.

"I'm really excited about going back," he added. "It's a great time to be going back to Manchester United because we're challenging for the title and in the latter stages of the Champions League. Obviously I'd like to be involved in that.

"I've spoken to Sir Alex Ferguson and I hope there will be opportunities for me to play when I go back."

Hindsite is a wonderful thing. :o

redrus

Ronaldo opinion appears to have gone from one extreme to the other.

Nick Townsend in the Independent:

And so, we depart 2006 embracing two names which have illuminated the national game; a duo who six months ago would have beenthe most unlikely to be commended for awards, other than perhaps El-Hadji Diouf. Could anyone have seriously imagined that Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba, once notorious as practitioners of the game's darker arts, would have been vying for the bookies' favouritism as Footballer of the Year? Yet they are, and clear of the field too - one which includes such names as Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes and Michael Essien.

But isn't it one of the gloriously compelling aspects of sport, making fools of those who have the temerity to forecast the fates of performers and teams? We overlook the fact that personalities are transformed, by peer as much as public and media pressure, and that individuals are capable of evolving into team players, as we have witnessed with the Portuguese winger.

Amy Lawrence in the Observer:

Hindsight being such a wonderful thing, it does no harm to wind back six months and relive the pearls of wisdom from a selection of vox pops in a tabloid newspaper about English football's World Cup nemesis. Take a bow John Coles, 28, of Enfield: 'Ronaldo's sneaky and devious. He shouldn't even have the right to call himself a footballer.' Hats off to Colin Blundell, 29, from Royston: 'Rooney was stupid, but Ronaldo should never be allowed to play in the Premiership again. I hope he becomes a national hate figure.' Not forgetting Garry Westcombe, 47, of Stoke: 'Ronaldo showed he's just a stupid little boy by winking at the cameras. Every England fan will be baying for his blood.'

Funny, isn't it?

Emotions stirred by football are notoriously changeable. Still, few of England's outraged fans would have expected their emotional response towards Cristiano Ronaldo to be radically altered before the calendar year was out.

Not everyone has performed a volte-face since Ronaldo was, somewhat tangentially, blamed for England's World Cup exit. The majority, however, have been forced to soften their tune. Even the most strident of Ronaldo haters must accept he has illuminated the Premiership, as he showed again with two more goals yesterday, and been partly responsible for ensuring we actually have a title race this season. He plays with a resilience that makes him far more watchable than the show pony, the persistent diver, of yesteryear. He has even been able to show a more human face with a smattering of personable television interviews that show he is not such a cartoon irritant after all.

Not that national hostility is a good thing, but Ronaldo's experience as a casualty of England's World Cup fallout has had an upshot. It has hastened the rise of a talent whose lack of maturity was a weakness throughout his youth.

As a teenager at Sporting Lisbon he was banished from a tournament after throwing a chair at a teacher. Emotional outbursts were not uncommon in a sensitive boy who left his family on the island of Madeira aged 11 for the Portuguese capital. 'He rang me many times crying and telling me he wanted to give it all up,' recalls his mother, Maria Dolores.

'He didn't know anybody and it wasn't easy for an 11-year-old to be alone. He was always asking me to go to Lisbon, but I couldn't go as often as I would have liked. It's just as well he didn't give it up.'

On signing for Manchester United, at the age of 18, in 2003, Ronaldo was depicted as a mummy's boy in an unflattering mock-up in The Sun. Luckily, the growing-up process has been aided by two of the best mentors in the business when it comes to taking heat away from their players. Sir Alex Ferguson at United and Luiz Felipe Scolari with Portugal have put in the hours trying to harness this powerful dribbler with the soft centre.

Occasional tantrums came with the territory right up to the World Cup. When he was easily wound up in friendlies against the Cape Verde Islands and Luxembourg, Scolari admitted: 'Cristiano's case is a worrying one.'

Ferguson echoed those sentiments when the English media made him the fox for their hunt, so it is worth revisiting the incendiary incident during the World Cup, when Ronaldo winked at Portugal's coaching staff in the aftermath of Wayne Rooney's red card for treading on a delicate part of Ricardo Carvalho's anatomy.

Even a wily old pro would have been hard-pressed to understand quite how that made him the scapegoat for England's implosion. It was not Ronaldo who was at fault for Rooney's dismissal. Nor was he at fault for any of England's missed penalties. Still, he got the full tabloid treatment usually reserved for failing England managers or Germans. The public were invited to take aim at a dartboard covered in his face, to back Rooney in an internet vote for the World Cup's best young player to stop the dastardly Ronaldo, and to cheer on France in Portugal's next game.

'Winker' - pun intended - became the acceptable term of reference for Ronaldo. Alan Shearer reckoned Rooney should 'stick one on him' when they got back to Old Trafford. The pertinent point was not when, but if they got back to Old Trafford, so hel_l-bent were sections of the media in driving him out of the Premiership.

Ferguson deserves credit for convincing Ronaldo that his future remained in England.

redrus

Fergie praise for Toon

Sir Alex Ferguson was disappointed his side claimed only a point from their trip to Newcastle, but was unstinting in his praise of Glenn Roeder's team.

After falling behind to a stunning James Milner strike, United looked to have turned the game around courtesy of a pair of fine efforts from Paul Scholes.

However, their trip to the North East proved to be an ultimately frustrating affair, as David Edgar scored a 72nd minute equaliser to cap an impressive home debut.

Ferguson rued his side's inability to finish off a Newcastle side on the ropes for much of the second half, while at the same time praising a Newcastle team shorn of several of their top players.

"We missed a stack of chances but you have to admire the character and spirit of the Newcastle team," he told Sky Sports.

"They deserved a point without question. We had three cleared off the line so that was a bit unlucky.

"Then we went and missed two or three good chances. When you are creating chances you hope you are doing enough to win the match and we should have won the match.

"We didn't play as well as we have been because Newcastle didn't allow us to play. I've nothing but praise for them."

Ferguson's woe at dropping two points was compounded by the sight of Louis Saha hobbling off in the first half, with the United chief confirming his striker will likely miss the next few weeks with a groin injury.

He added: "It's a groin injury so he may be out for a couple of weeks."

redrus

Yesterday was one of those weird days when i was actually shouting for United. Way hi man :o

Same here!! Cost me money the t#ssers :D

Do any of you reds rate Park?

I really think if he hadnt been playing then United would have won. He is complete Pants

Archived