Manchester United

redrus

Rooney’s frustrated with his form.

From the Independent:

Wayne Rooney has admitted that his last two Manchester United performances have not been good enough. After serving a three-match domestic ban and missing all three England games so far this season, it was little surprise that Rooney should be off the pace in last week's Champions' League win over Celtic.

Much better was expected against Arsenal at the weekend but, again, the 20-year-old struggled. Eventually, to his own frustration and the astonishment of many United fans, a clearly unhappy looking Rooney was replaced by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

"I am disappointed with my own form in the last two games. It has not been up to the standard I normally play. I am disappointed but will keep working hard and hopefully my game will come back.

"The Celtic game was quite tough. It was a big game and there was a lot of pressure on us to win it. I spoke to Paul afterwards and we were both quite tired. Nevertheless, losing against Arsenal was a big blow. We have made a good start to the season and we wanted it to continue.

"Even a draw would not have been too bad but to lose in the last 10 minutes was devastating. We are still in front of the other title contenders but Sunday's game was one we could have won and we let ourselves down."

James Lawton commented in the Independent:

Next month Wayne Rooney will be 21. A time for champagne and untroubled contemplation of a prodigious playing career and vast earning power, you might say. But only if you had not seen his last two performances for Manchester United.

Ferguson had admitted being mystified at Rooney's lack of impact in the Champions' League game against Celtic. What Ferguson could least understand was the young superstar's lack of vitality, his dull body language, the sense - never before felt - that winning a football game was not something utterly at the heart of his ambition.

Could it really be that Rooney has fallen out of love with football, that too much has been expected too soon and that in the process something deep and fundamental in his make-up has been pushed off course?

Many will say this is alarmist drivel, though interestingly they can hardly include Roy Keane, who in his new and rather stunning statesmanlike pose as manager and occasional television analyst has suggested that the wunderkind has still "a hel_l of a lot to do, Wayne has achieved nothing. I would judge players over a few years rather than one or two."

The fact that Rooney has had two successive games of minimal impact is not in itself so significant. Great players inevitably have thin streaks of form. But it is the demeanour of Rooney that is creating the worry. The relish seems to have disappeared, and in its place there is some of that bleakness which categorised his frustration in the World Cup.

redrus

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was very dissapointed in rooneys performance he looked out of place and sluggish against arsenal.

and taking scholes off why oh why oshea was the one to take off.

Agreed, whole heartedly, agreed.

Tomorrows another day though mate, get that one loss of the season out of the way its only up now....! :o

redrus

i was very dissapointed in rooneys performance he looked out of place and sluggish against arsenal.

and taking scholes off why oh why oshea was the one to take off.

Agreed, whole heartedly, agreed.

Tomorrows another day though mate, get that one loss of the season out of the way its only up now....! :o

redrus

Well Rio has said that they are very well aware that they could come unstuck tomorrow, he admits that the Reading fans will be really up for this one , like they have never been up for a game like this in their history.

Reading fans wear the number 13 shirt...unlucky for some...mostly visiting teams since it was deicated to the fans.

Come on you R'sssssssssssssssssss

This is a very big chance for us to prove we are good enough for this division, and don't think for a second that Stevie Coppell will be telling his players anything different.

This game COULD be won on Passion alone, who WANTS the win MORE?

i heard the reading scorpions are comming out for the mib's.lol.

should be a good game i can only see a united win being biased but you never no with united we tend to trip up in these games. 2-1 united.

i heard the reading scorpions are comming out for the mib's.lol.

should be a good game i can only see a united win being biased but you never no with united we tend to trip up in these games. 2-1 united.

thank you for your post in the Reading thread Nev...otherwise nobody else has much to say...Redrus :D

I have already stated that we were lucky, if it was not for poor finishing by United you would have won at a canter.

Rooney has now gotten over his 3 poor games...more power to you all for the CL match in the week

Hope you beat those spiks, I will be supporting you, as I do any English team in Europe :o

thanks thaipauly we should beat benfica,hope you are right about rooney i have been dissapointed with him lately think he should be hitting his tracks soon and no better place than in the champions league.

Very happy with the result against Benfica.. Considering the way we played in the first half I would have taken the draw but what an effort by Saha, and Ronaldo also had a great game, but Rooney seems to lack passion at the moment.. not something I thought I'd ever say about him..

Meanwhile, this from the Guardian:

Rooney out of touch and feeling the pressure

Rio Ferdinand has backed Wayne Rooney to come good, but something is bothering the youngster.

Sir Alex Ferguson is so fiercely protective of his players it came as little surprise that the Manchester United manager should adopt his most impenetrable stare when the questions resurfaced about Wayne Rooney. Ferguson's intention is to stifle rather than prolong the debate about Rooney's perplexing form but, deep down, it is inconceivable that he does not share some, if not all, the concerns about England's most talented footballer.

Everyone at United is entitled to be concerned because, by his extraordinary standards, Rooney's form has been close to wretched in four of his five games this season, the nadir being Tuesday's win against Benfica when his body language was as poor as his touch.

The scrutiny of Rooney since the 1-0 victory in Lisbon has irritated many people at Old Trafford, not least Ferguson, and Rio Ferdinand led a robust defence of his team-mate yesterday. "I don't think he's really playing badly," he said, "but he's set his standards so high people sometimes expect too much from him.

"I'm not worried about him, I don't think the rest of the team are worried and neither is Wayne, as far as I know. It's only a matter of time before he's firing on all cylinders. All that's missing is a goal because if he'd scored against, say, Reading last Saturday the onus wouldn't be on him having a bad time. Believe me, there's no need to worry.

"Wayne's always been good at coming back with an answer if there's criticism in the media. I can remember one day there was something uncomplimentary about him in the papers and he went out and had an unbelievable game, scoring one and setting up another. Some people can do that whereas others crumble under pressure."

Ferdinand presented a strong case on his colleague's behalf yet it is difficult to equate his confidence with the frequency the United players and the manager remonstrated with Rooney before his early withdrawal against Benfica.

His failure to fulfil basic duties such as tracking back and keeping possession brought admonishment not only from Ferguson but also John O'Shea and Gabriel Heinze. Another time, Rooney would not have tolerated being singled out. On this occasion, he accepted the criticisms.

Rooney, Ferdinand rightly pointed out, was playing out of position, Ferguson deploying a right-footed striker on the left of midfield, but that does not explain why a player of his culture and finesse had difficulty executing the simplest of tasks such as trapping the ball.He is far from short of natural self-belief - there is a wonderful passage in Ferdinand's autobiography about Rooney telling his team-mates he will be remembered as better than George Best - but he resorted to playing easy, sideways passes, forsaking all his penetrative instincts to beat his man or pick out the incisive through-ball.

"He was asked to play a certain position for the team and because of that he had to sacrifice a lot of his attacking game," said Ferdinand. "If someone - it doesn't matter who - has a bad touch then another player is bound to have a go at them. But that happens to everyone. It's just being highlighted here because people are looking closely at Rooney because of the way they perceive he's playing."

The issue for Ferguson is finding out what it is wrong and it a flawed argument when he blames the forward having played "only six games in six months".

Apart from that not being statistically true, the 20-year-old looked as bright as ever when United demolished Fulham 5-1 on the opening weekend. It is since his three-match suspension for being sent off in pre-season that he has become a peripheral, unhappy figure. Perhaps Rooney is simply discovering that form, as Ruud Gullit put it, is like a bird that passes by. Sometimes it just flies away and you don't know when it will return.

NEWS FROM THE FRONT LINE

By Editor, redissue

Friday 29th September 2006

Saha, Smith and Rossi.

Louis Saha:

"I feel no different and I am not doing anything differently than what I have done before. Every player has to score goals, not just me. The only difference is I am the one playing up front, so I get more opportunities. I just need to be ready to take them.

"In Europe now, you have to be patient. It’s far more tactical than the Premiership and you have to recognise, in away games especially, you are not going to get many chances.

"As a striker, it can get frustrating but you just have to maintain your concentration and be prepared."

Alan Smith:

"It's an unbelievable feeling to be back. First and foremost we got the victory, but to be part of it made the seven months of waiting worthwhile.

"The reaction of the fans, and of everyone else, gives me another lift, and more confidence. I have been playing reserve games for a while, but the other night made up for it.

"I have had messages from well-wishers at club around the country, and would like to thank them all, and now I just want to get back to playing at the highest level.

"There is still a lot of work to do to get back into this team, but I am looking forward to the challenge. For the gaffer to have enough faith to put me in with ten minutes to go speaks volumes."

Rossi has still not made his first start for Newcastle but Glenn Roeder says:

"I'm wanting to get an opportunity to start him. He has shown enough in training to prove that he can more than hold his own in the Premiership.

"We were lucky he chose us because he had other Premiership clubs after him. He's a smashing player, a young man with an old head. I'm grateful that Sir Alex Ferguson let him come here."

Rossi says:

"People might say there is a gap at Old Trafford with Ruud going and because we haven't bought a new forward.

"A permanent move to Newcastle is not on my mind. On my mind is to play for United and I hope to return to Old Trafford a stronger player."

redrus

FootyMAD's Newcastle United match preview

By Footymad

Saturday 30th September 2006

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Manchester United take on Newcastle United in a Premiership match on Sunday 1st October 2006 at 15:00.

Footymad preview

History of the Manchester United v Newcastle United fixture

Man Utd. prepare to entertain Newcastle United at Old Trafford on Sunday afternoon, looking to continue an impressive record. The Red Devils are clearly on top, having won 42 and lost only 9 of the 69 games.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Old Trafford was less than a year ago, in March 2006, with Man Utd. running out comfortable 2-0 winners in a Premiership match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, CLICK HERE.

Recent encounters between the teams:

2005/2006 Sun 12 Mar Man Utd. 2-0 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sun 28 Aug Newcastle Utd. 0 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

2004/2005 Sun 24 Apr Man Utd. 2 - 1 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2004/2005 Sun 17 Apr Newcastle Utd. 1 - 4 Man Utd. FAC

2004/2005 Sun 14 Nov Newcastle Utd. 1 - 3 Man Utd. PREM

2003/2004 Sun 11 Jan Man Utd. 0 - 0 Newcastle Utd. PREM

2003/2004 Sat 23 Aug Newcastle Utd. 1 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

Recent respective form guides

Manchester United have lost just once in their last six home games, winning four and drawing the other one. These high-scoring games have yielded a total of 13 goals for the Red Devils, with 4 goals against.

The Magpies have had a decent run of form away from home recently, coming away with three points on 3 occassions, but drawing 1 and losing 2. These low-scoring games have seen just 4 goals scored and conceded.

Man Utd. sit in a healthy 2nd in the league, and have picked up 13 points from their 6 games. Newcastle Utd. see themselves just below half way in the Barclays Premiership, showing a record of 7 points from their 6 games played so far,

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, CLICK HERE.

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Man Utd. 6 4 1 1 8 5 13

Newcastle Utd. 6 3 1 2 7 6 10

FootyMad's prediction ...

Man Utd. may be coming up against a decent side in Newcastle Utd., but I do believe that its going to result in a narrow home win for the Red Devils. Home Win

Sequence statistics:

Man Utd. 6 games since last home draw.

Newcastle Utd. 6 games since last away draw.

redrus

ronaldo was awesome again best player in the premiership by a country mile.

bit like the old micheal jordan of basketball when they used to say just give it to jordan,well we are riding on this guys back give it to ronny.

he hit the post 3 times wont be long before they go in.

Rio at his best.

Paul Kimmage in the Sunday Times:

Rio: "I never once didn’t accept responsibility for that drug test. I’ve always accepted full responsibility — I should have gone to the test, but I genuinely forgot. My excuse was a simple excuse, and people are still picking on it and saying, ‘That’s <deleted>’, but I’m sorry, that’s the truth, that’s what happened. I forgot." I interrupt. "But you were reminded twice before you forgot, Rio. That’s the part that people couldn’t believe." "Yes, but if you speak to the player- liaison man at Man United about how many times he has had to ring people who drive off after he has reminded them about interviews — it happens all the time. Now obviously mine was a drugs test and more serious, so I should have remembered, but sometimes you walk out without your car keys and you don’t know why."

"You’re not going to forget it if you’re told you have a drug test now," I suggest. "Well, you can’t forget now," he says, "because they almost handcuff you. You are not allowed to move anywhere without them, which is the good that has come out of it."

"So you see the bigger picture?"

"Yeah, I always accepted that I had to be punished; I always accepted that ‘I forgot’ wasn’t a good enough excuse, but it was the way in which I was punished. There was a precedent set before my case with the Negouai case, the Manchester City player who was fined £2,000 — and the money was irrelevant — but didn’t get a ban. There were players who tested positive (Jaap Stam and Edgar Davids) who got five-month bans! Why was I treated so severely?" "It’s obvious that it still really cuts you up," I tell him. "Yeah, it was eight months of my football career, man. I mean, I know I’m in some part to blame, but I could have won another league, I could have won an FA Cup, I could have won loads of other things."

It is often said that before sitting in judgment, we should walk a mile in the shoes of the accused. It’s a thought that recurs frequently when retracing the path of Ferdinand’s life from a council estate in Peckham, south London, to the glitz and wealth since attained. Some of the detours he finds along the way aren’t particularly endearing, others leave you wanting to applaud. Once or twice we are forced to answer a question: "What if I was in the same position? What if it was me?"

"What about your relationship with the fans?" I ask. "You state in the book, ‘We have become remote figures to the fans. Punters find it difficult to relate to our lifestyles’. But surely you’ve contributed to that by detaching yourselves?" "How do you mean?" "Well, the media was always the bridge between the fans and the players, but I can’t remember the last Premiership player I interviewed, it has been so long."

"Yeah, but there are so many different facets to it now," he says, "and so many people being stitched-up and burnt. The sports journalists say, ‘Oh, we’re not part of ‘that bit of the paper’, but it’s their paper, so you think: ‘F*** you’."

"That’s the attitude?" "That’s what I think. That’s what most players think: ‘You stitched me up, so why should I talk to your paper?’ And it’s the fans that suffer in the end."

"Okay, and I understand that logic, but doesn’t that hurt you as well?"

"Yes, that’s true. I mean, I came down (from Manchester) on the train last night and people are surprised to see you. ‘What are you doing here? Where’s your security?’ They have this image that it’s all showbiz. I didn’t get into football for celebrity. I got into football because I love football, not because I wanted to be on the red carpet or to be in the gossip columns. I want to be remembered for playing football. I want to be in the papers for playing football, or for something constructive to do with charity, but not the other stuff."

redrus

UNITED MAKE FORMAL RACISM COMPLAINT

By Ed

Sunday 8th October 2006

This follows monkey chants to Evra and Saha at Benfica.

The Observer:

Louis Saha and Patrice Evra endured monkey chants and other racist abuse by Benfica fans before Manchester United's Champions League victory in Lisbon last month.

The France forward and Senegal defender were targeted by a group of home fans during the warm-up for the game on 26 September, that United won 1-0 with a Saha goal. Several of their United team-mates involved in the warm-up, such as Darren Fletcher, heard the taunts

United lodged an official complaint with Uefa, who confirmed yesterday they are looking into the club's claims.

If United's complaints are proved, Benfica will face sanctions. Uefa and Fifa have both pledged to impose heavy penalties on clubs whose fans behave in a racist manner.

And a statement from UEFA:

"UEFA is investigating a written complaint made by Manchester United FC about alleged racist conduct by spectators at the UEFA Champions League Group F match against SL Benfica in Lisbon on 26 September. The English club has submitted the complaint, following allegations by United players that they were subject to abuse of a racist nature at the game in Portugal, which United won 1-0."

More must be done throughout all sectors to curb this, there is simply no place for racism in modern society. :o

redrus

SMUDGE'S THANKS

The players kept him sane.

Alan Smith has thanked the players for keeping him sane during his injury and he was especially touched when the team wore shirts dedicating the Carling Cup final win to him.

"To be fair, if I couldn't have been there that was the second-best thing, and to see them lifting that trophy with those shirts on meant so much.

"I didn't have a clue it was coming, I was sat at home with my mates and my girlfriend and I thought, 'what's going on here?!'

"I had a little lump in my throat if I'm being honest. To see the reaction from the lads was unbelievable."

Nice one Smudge, can't wait to have him back fully fit..... :o

redrus

I WAS WORTHLESS

By Ed

But not anymore.

Patrice Evra has said that he felt worthless after arriving in Manchester and being thrown into playing in the derby.

“For about six months I barely played after arriving completely unprepared for making my debut against Manchester City.

“That led me to call everything about myself into question. I remember on several occasions telling myself I was worthless or I was a good for nothing.

“I felt like I arrived as an international but that I still had to learn a completely new profession in English football.

“It was about me adapting to the Manchester United way because it could never be the other way round.

“But it is only now that I can admit I’m able to sleep well at night and I can eat properly.

“It has been tough but the process has made me tougher. I have learned about myself as a man and also as a footballer.

“United are a club where you have to be prepared to make sacrifices and that kept me going.

“If it had not been for some of my team-mates then I might not have made it through — particularly as my family found the move from Monaco to Manchester to be an enormous cultural and social change.

“But I think that I have integrated and played well this season. I’ve learned something new every day and I love the fact it is so demanding.

“Victory is an obligation when you play for United and I love that kind of pressure.”

Like having a different player, looks really good this season.

redrus

For about six months I barely played after arriving completely unprepared for making my debut against Manchester City.

Which derby was that one? And what was the score?

You know which one and, the score. Last seasons cup final well, for youz anyway....! :o

redrus

NO NANI SALE

Tuesday 10th October 2006

United target staying put.

Sporting Lisbon's president Filipe Soares has told The Manchester Evening News that United won't be able to sign their 'wonderkid' Nani:

"Nani is not for sale today - and neither in the winter market. At this moment we are not interested in any business."

Nani himself is happy by the interest from United and wants to move at some point.

"If I leave at any time it would be to go to a superclub. I am young and very ambitious,"

Nani is under contract until 2008 and Lisbon are keen to tie him down for longer as well as putting a £17.5 million price tag on him.

redrus

RUUD NOT ANGRY

Tuesday 10th October 2006

Well at least not with Ferguson.

By Tom Dart in The times

The key to Sir Alex Ferguson keeping control at Manchester United? Keeping his distance. As the manager revealed that experience has taught him to delegate, the remove between Manchester and Madrid is evidently great enough for Ruud van Nistelrooy to be able to reflect with nostalgia on his stressful last months at Old Trafford.

Van Nistelrooy said that he twice turned down the chance to join Real Madrid during his career with United. The striker moved for £10.2 million during the summer and after saying he felt “betrayed” by Ferguson’s decision to leave him out of the side for last season’s Carling Cup final against Wigan Athletic, he no longer bears any enmity towards his former manager, despite the apparent acrimony as their relationship seemed to disintegrate.

“United was a fantastic time in my life, not only the football but we met some wonderful people,” the forward said. “I turned down the opportunity twice to come here during my United days but this time I could not say no. The history of the club is similar to United. You play at Old Trafford for the first time wearing a United shirt and it is unbelievable. Now I have the same feeling with Madrid.”

Van Nistelrooy also said last month his omission from the 4-0 win over Wigan was “like a stab in the back” but time has healed that wound. “I owe him a lot and respect him a lot,” Van Nistelrooy said of Ferguson. “What happened wasn’t so big to not talk to him. I said my thing and we just have to move on. Many great players have left United and other clubs. You move to another stage in your career but the memories remain from five fantastic years.”

Reflecting on his 32-year management career, Ferguson decried the creeping menace of player power. “More and more, we are dealing with player power,” the 64-year-old told a Uefa magazine, The Technician. “There is a player ego today that you have to deal with. As a coach, the one thing you must have is control. You can’t afford players to take charge of a training session. There has to be a strong discipline in the training and in general.”

“As you get older, you learn to delegate better,” he said. “You can’t do everything yourself at a major club. For example, with the youth programme, I put it in good hands, and oversee what is happening — it’s not possible for me to immerse myself in the youth work as I once did.

“As I progressed as a coach, I learned that observation was vital. To coach and watch at the same time is difficult. If you are involved too much in the coaching, you miss many things. I started to delegate more things to my assistant and to stand back sometimes.”

redrus

VAN DER SAR TRANSFER PROBE?

Mail on Sunday:

Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar is the latest Premiership star whose transfer is to be dragged into the ongoing inquiries into possible illegal payments in football, as the net closes on the Premiership from a range of international investigations.

In the wake of Lord Stevens's announcement last week that 39 transfers are being investigated for possible irregularities by the Premier League's own inquiry into corrupt payments, at least three judicial probes across Europe are targeting English clubs for details of transfers.

And the Italian fraud squad, responsible for the inquiries that saw Juventus relegated to Serie B this season, are turning their attention to Premiership clubs as they investigate transfers between English and Italian clubs.

Italian prosecutor Stefano Palazzi has asked to see Van der Sar about what he knows of events surrounding his 2001 transfer from Juventus to Fulham. Although the Holland star is cooperating, United's fixture schedule has so far prevented him from flying to Turin for the interview.

There is no suggestion that Van der Sar is involved in Italian match-fixing inquiries or that he benefited illegally from his £7.5 million deal.

However, investigators are making wide-ranging inquiries into Juventus's transfer dealings to see if illegal payments were made to club staff.

Van der Sar's agent, Rob Jansen, said last night that he was not aware that the goalkeeper was required in Turin. Jansen said: 'The Italian prosecutors have interviewed everyone involved in a transfer with Juventus. That's natural - it's part of their investigation. Edwin has already spoken to them by telephone.'

Lawyers for Fulham owner Mohamed al Fayed have held several meetings with Palazzi and, at the prosecutor's request, have passed a dossier of evidence to him. These investigations coincide with two major judicial inquiries in France into corruption in football, both of which also feature the transfers of current United stars.

The Paris-based probe into Paris Saint-Germain transfers from 1998 to 2005 has looked at the £6.9m deal which took Gabriel Heinze to Old Trafford in 2004, while Marseille authorities are focusing on deals involving unlicensed agent Richard Bettoni, who helped take Louis Saha to Fulham in 2000 and then move him on to Old Trafford four years later.

There is no suggestion in either case that the players, or United, have done anything wrong but the French investigations have shed light on a network of agents and middlemen which stretches across the Channel and the world.

redrus

For about six months I barely played after arriving completely unprepared for making my debut against Manchester City.

You know which one and, the score.

Course i do but i thought you might be man enough to say it anyway :o:D

You know which one and, the score.

Course i do but i thought you might be man enough to say it anyway :o:D

LOL, on your bike you one game A year WUM.....! :D:D

redrus

RONALDO HOPING FOR NANI.

Sky Sports:

Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he would love to see international team-mate Nani lining up alongside him at Manchester United.

Nani is the hottest property in Portuguese football, just as Ronaldo himself was before Sir Alex Ferguson took him to Old Trafford in 2003 from Sporting Lisbon

United are seemingly heading the race for the young forward, who has also attracted attention from Chelsea, Milan and Barcelona and reports suggest they could even make a move as early as January's transfer window,

Ronaldo admits that the prospect of playing with Nani at United would be a mouth-watering one.

"I'd like to see Nani and more Portuguese at Manchester United," admitted Ronaldo.

redrus

Ferguson: Rooney's back

By Phil Jackson - Created on 14 Oct 2006

Sir Alex Ferguson says Wayne Rooney was 'back to his best' in Manchester United's 3-1 win at Wigan Athletic.

The 20-year-old England international showed no signs of pressure, as he led by example after United went 1-0 behind.

He was tenacious, tracking back, bubbling with confidence up front and was only denied a fine goal when his thunderous strike rebounded of the crossbar.

His manager has defended his young starlet against criticism in the week, and believes Rooney is now reaping the benefit of a sustained run of matches.

"There were some signs he was coming, and the two internationals have helped him get the required number of games to bring him to the right pitch of his game and I think we saw that today," the Scotsman told Sky Sports 1.

"You saw the second half performance from him. In fact through the whole 90 minutes I thought he was right back to his best.

"He and Saha are a real handful and of course with Ryan's experience and Scholes' experience behind that always gives you a chance."

Ryan Giggs' introduction in the second half sparked a fine comeback from United after Leighton Baines had fired Wigan into a shock 1-0 lead.

Second half goals from Nemanja Vidic, Louis Saha and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer secured the points for the visitors and Ferguson was pleased with his side's response after the break.

"You hope that they can change a performance and obviously when you're 1-0 down away from home, decisions going against us, I thought it was going to be tough," he continued.

"Wigan are a difficult type of side to play against, very committed and good balance to the team so I think we've done really well to come out with a victory."

The result sees United move three points clear at the top of the Premiership table, at least until Chelsea play later in the afternoon.

But while Ferguson was pleased with the performance, he is taking nothing for granted in the title race.

"I can only enjoy it if something happens elsewhere, but we've done our job well," he added.

"I think that we've played some really good stuff in the game, we've got to be pleased with that and there's a good momentum about the team at the moment and hopefully we can keep that going."

United face FC Copenhagen next as the UEFA Champions League gets back underway.

redrus

Vidic sparks United comeback

Two goals in four minutes and a late Ole Gunnar Solskjaer strike saw Manchester United move three points clear at the top of the league, as they came from behind to win 3-1 at Wigan Athletic.

Latics left back Leighton Baines had seemed destined to grab the headlines, with his stunning free-kick strike inside four minutes.

It took until the hour mark for United to make their mark when Nemanja Vidic headed his first goal for the club and then Louis Saha struck his sixth of the season just four minutes later.

Solskjaer continued his outstanding return to the team after injury, with a goal at the death, as Sir Alex Ferguson maintained his dominance over Paul Jewell, as Wigan are still yet to beat The Red Devils in their history.

Gary Neville and Cristiano Ronaldo were United's most notable absentees after the international break, as Giggs made it onto the bench following his hamstring injury.

Patrice Evra came in for the injured Gabriel Heinze, while John O'Shea replaced Darren Fletcher after his tireless efforts for Scotland.

Fitz Hall meanwhile returned to the centre of defence for the home side and Gary Teale took up his position on the right.

The game came to life inside four minutes, when Evra conceded a free kick for handball on the edge of the box.

England Under-21 international Baines stepped up after the ball was laid off and rifled his shot into Edwin van der Sar's left-hand corner to give The Latics a dream 1-0 lead.

The home fans were lifted out of their seats as Wigan took charge of the early exchanges, and their start could have been made even better when Van der Sar came out to collect a through ball from Henri Camara. There was a suspicion of handball when the giant Dutchman fell outside the area, but the referee's assistant signalled nothing.

United were clearly rattled though, as their passing became sloppy. Emile Heskey and Camara were giving stand-in captain Rio Ferdinand and Vidic a rough ride at the back.

Indeed, the visitors did not start to get a foothold in the game until Michael Carrick's shot on 13 minutes. The £18.6 million man shifted the ball from right to left on the edge of the box but fired his effort high and wide of Chris Kirkland's goal.

On 15 minutes, Louis Saha turned and saw his snap-shot sail wide not long after, but United were growing.

Wayne Rooney had made a quiet start to the game, but almost pounced on a Solskjaer cross from the right soon after.

The under-pressure frontman was all over the field, trying to stamp his authority at the JJB, and end his eight-game goalscoring drought. And he almost did so on 25 minutes when chesting the ball down in the area. He seemed surrounded but somehow managed to create some space and strike his thunderous shot against Kirkland's crossbar.

Within half an hour referee Steve Bennett had made his first booking, when Ferdinand was harshly cautioned for an innocuous challenge on Heskey.

The Latics were looking dangerous on the break, and Teale almost doubled the lead when he volleyed Ferdinand's headed clearance narrowly wide.

At the other end, Paul Scholes set Solskjaer free down the right, but Saha's diversion towards goal was well defended by the Wigan defence.

Austrian Paul Scharner nearly drifted in at the back post on the counter, but with a tight angle, could only fire his shot over.

O'Shea was booked on 40 minutes for a debatable challenge on Baines, but United were still dominant in possession.

But Wigan were keeping their opposition at arm's length, restricting United to shots from outside the box. Kirkland proved himself equal to the task of backing his defence, when pushing Evra's 25-yard effort away from danger, as the game finished 1-0 at half time.

Wes Brown made way for Giggs, as United came out for the second half, guns a-blazing.

Solskjaer fired a good chance over the bar just straight after the restart after some good battling in the box.

And a second scramble, this time from Solskjaer's cross from the right just would not drop to Saha or Giggs, and Wigan managed to clear the ball.

With the tenacious Rooney fired up and leading by example, United were dominating with more purpose in this half.

Saha had a great chance to level the scores when Arjen De Zeeuw failed to clear Rooney's cross as it fell to the Frenchman. The striker struggled to get the ball out of his feet, but eventually created some room. Kirkland was out at his feet and Saha struck the shot agonisingly wide of the right-hand post.

Jewell decided to change things, and brought Lee McCulloch on for Camara, to strengthen the defensive set up of the side.

While United's strikeforce were looking slightly wasteful, the big boys at the back came up for a Giggs corner on the hour mark. And it was centre back Vidic who levelled when he leapt higher than everybody to fire a powerful header into the net and level it 1-1.

Within four minutes United were ahead. Rooney running down the left crossed into the centre, and the ball went over De Zeeuw to Saha. The Frenchman brought the ball down with his outstretched foot and showed great athleticism to lunge and strike the ball in off the post, all in one movement, to make it 2-1 to The Red Devils.

The visiting faithful were in full voice, as they had been for much of the game, and it was up to Jewell now to try and change it and get another goal.

But it was United who remained dominant, as Rooney saw his cheeky chip drift harmlessly over the bar.

With six minutes left the visitors could have had a penalty when Giggs broke through into the box. De Zeeuw brought him down in the area, but the ball broke to Saha and the referee waved play on. Kirkland though, made a good save with his feet to deny Saha a second and leave Giggs outraged.

Ferguson's men seemed destined to add to their tally when Rooney broke free in the box, but his unselfish pass to Solskjaer was somehow pounced upon and saved by the England goalkeeper.

Solskjaer sealed the victory when he capitalised on Rooney's flick, and battled his way through to fire the ball into the bottom right of the net and make it 3-1 to United on the whistle.

redrus

This from Tribalfootball.....

Agent: Man Utd, Barcelona wanted Roma keeper Doni

tribalfooball.com - October 15, 2006

The agent of Roma goalkeeper Doni has revealed the Brazilian is wanted by some of Europe's biggest clubs.

Mario Miele said: "Inter, Milan, Barcelona and Manchester United are interested in Doni. He, however, is happy to be with Roma, especially as now his family is also here.

"In his first season he wasn't paid much and we wanted compensation over his new deal as he was the No1. However, both parties wanted that he stayed and in the end we reached an agreement.

"Luciano Spalletti had a big say in him staying. He believes a lot in him."

redrus

From Sky....

United ready Rooney deal

By Alex Dunn - Created on 15 Oct 2006

Wayne Rooney has reportedly entered into talks with his Manchester United paymasters about a new contract at Old Trafford.

The precociously gifted England international has made the headlines of late, for a series of displays that have fallen well below the exacting standards he has set himself since arriving in Manchester

At Wigan on Saturday, though, Rooney hinted at his imperious best with an energetic and creative display, which dismissed recent suggestions of a loss in form.

His manager Sir Alex Ferguson has always expressed his utmost faith in the 20-year-old and in the process has given the press short shrift in their reporting of Rooney's form of late, and it would seem the Scot is now readying a fresh contract.

Although Rooney's current deal, signed after a £27 million switch from Everton in 2004, still has four years left to run, United are eager to tie down the player to a contract that will place him among the club's highest earners.

Ferguson maintains that a lack of games is the reason for Rooney's early season struggles and while admitting he holds reservations about his player's involvement at the World Cup, he concedes that international exertions are not necessarily at the root of the problem.

"I don't think going to the World Cup did Wayne any good considering the physical condition he was in but I am not 100 percent sure that it is anything to do with what we are seeing at the moment," said the Scot.

"He got his rest afterwards like everyone else but then he just went straight back into football training without doing any endurance work, which is something we will address next summer.

"He doesn't seem to be the type of individual who would get himself hot and bothered about what has gone on.

"He has always been quite an open lad, cocky and confident.

"I don't think he sits and worries about things like that. He does not play that way."

redrus

From the official site;

Report by Steve Bartram

Papers: Owen fancies move

Owen's Speedy Return

Owen Hargreaves expects to be back in action within four weeks and is keen to resurrect his move to Manchester United. The England midfielder was sidelined four weeks ago after breaking his leg playing for Bayern Munich but expects to return by mid- November. And Hargreaves, 25, who saw a £17million move to United fall through, said: "I'll be back in four weeks. The more I play for England, the more top English clubs will look at me."

David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

The Express expects United to be involved in more transfer action, with Sunderland boss Roy Keane eager to take former club-mates David Jones and Jonny Evans on loan.

redrus

Vidic sparks United comeback

Two goals in four minutes and a late Ole Gunnar Solskjaer strike saw Manchester United move three points clear at the top of the league, as they came from behind to win 3-1 at Wigan Athletic.

Latics left back Leighton Baines had seemed destined to grab the headlines, with his stunning free-kick strike inside four minutes.

It took until the hour mark for United to make their mark when Nemanja Vidic headed his first goal for the club and then Louis Saha struck his sixth of the season just four minutes later.

Solskjaer continued his outstanding return to the team after injury, with a goal at the death, as Sir Alex Ferguson maintained his dominance over Paul Jewell, as Wigan are still yet to beat The Red Devils in their history.

Gary Neville and Cristiano Ronaldo were United's most notable absentees after the international break, as Giggs made it onto the bench following his hamstring injury.

Patrice Evra came in for the injured Gabriel Heinze, while John O'Shea replaced Darren Fletcher after his tireless efforts for Scotland.

Fitz Hall meanwhile returned to the centre of defence for the home side and Gary Teale took up his position on the right.

The game came to life inside four minutes, when Evra conceded a free kick for handball on the edge of the box.

England Under-21 international Baines stepped up after the ball was laid off and rifled his shot into Edwin van der Sar's left-hand corner to give The Latics a dream 1-0 lead.

The home fans were lifted out of their seats as Wigan took charge of the early exchanges, and their start could have been made even better when Van der Sar came out to collect a through ball from Henri Camara. There was a suspicion of handball when the giant Dutchman fell outside the area, but the referee's assistant signalled nothing.

United were clearly rattled though, as their passing became sloppy. Emile Heskey and Camara were giving stand-in captain Rio Ferdinand and Vidic a rough ride at the back.

Indeed, the visitors did not start to get a foothold in the game until Michael Carrick's shot on 13 minutes. The £18.6 million man shifted the ball from right to left on the edge of the box but fired his effort high and wide of Chris Kirkland's goal.

On 15 minutes, Louis Saha turned and saw his snap-shot sail wide not long after, but United were growing.

Wayne Rooney had made a quiet start to the game, but almost pounced on a Solskjaer cross from the right soon after.

The under-pressure frontman was all over the field, trying to stamp his authority at the JJB, and end his eight-game goalscoring drought. And he almost did so on 25 minutes when chesting the ball down in the area. He seemed surrounded but somehow managed to create some space and strike his thunderous shot against Kirkland's crossbar.

Within half an hour referee Steve Bennett had made his first booking, when Ferdinand was harshly cautioned for an innocuous challenge on Heskey.

The Latics were looking dangerous on the break, and Teale almost doubled the lead when he volleyed Ferdinand's headed clearance narrowly wide.

At the other end, Paul Scholes set Solskjaer free down the right, but Saha's diversion towards goal was well defended by the Wigan defence.

Austrian Paul Scharner nearly drifted in at the back post on the counter, but with a tight angle, could only fire his shot over.

O'Shea was booked on 40 minutes for a debatable challenge on Baines, but United were still dominant in possession.

But Wigan were keeping their opposition at arm's length, restricting United to shots from outside the box. Kirkland proved himself equal to the task of backing his defence, when pushing Evra's 25-yard effort away from danger, as the game finished 1-0 at half time.

Wes Brown made way for Giggs, as United came out for the second half, guns a-blazing.

Solskjaer fired a good chance over the bar just straight after the restart after some good battling in the box.

And a second scramble, this time from Solskjaer's cross from the right just would not drop to Saha or Giggs, and Wigan managed to clear the ball.

With the tenacious Rooney fired up and leading by example, United were dominating with more purpose in this half.

Saha had a great chance to level the scores when Arjen De Zeeuw failed to clear Rooney's cross as it fell to the Frenchman. The striker struggled to get the ball out of his feet, but eventually created some room. Kirkland was out at his feet and Saha struck the shot agonisingly wide of the right-hand post.

Jewell decided to change things, and brought Lee McCulloch on for Camara, to strengthen the defensive set up of the side.

While United's strikeforce were looking slightly wasteful, the big boys at the back came up for a Giggs corner on the hour mark. And it was centre back Vidic who levelled when he leapt higher than everybody to fire a powerful header into the net and level it 1-1.

Within four minutes United were ahead. Rooney running down the left crossed into the centre, and the ball went over De Zeeuw to Saha. The Frenchman brought the ball down with his outstretched foot and showed great athleticism to lunge and strike the ball in off the post, all in one movement, to make it 2-1 to The Red Devils.

The visiting faithful were in full voice, as they had been for much of the game, and it was up to Jewell now to try and change it and get another goal.

But it was United who remained dominant, as Rooney saw his cheeky chip drift harmlessly over the bar.

With six minutes left the visitors could have had a penalty when Giggs broke through into the box. De Zeeuw brought him down in the area, but the ball broke to Saha and the referee waved play on. Kirkland though, made a good save with his feet to deny Saha a second and leave Giggs outraged.

Ferguson's men seemed destined to add to their tally when Rooney broke free in the box, but his unselfish pass to Solskjaer was somehow pounced upon and saved by the England goalkeeper.

Solskjaer sealed the victory when he capitalised on Rooney's flick, and battled his way through to fire the ball into the bottom right of the net and make it 3-1 to United on the whistle.

redrus

cheers for the post redrus

i heard the result whilst having to fix a car

so knew what it was b4 watching it L8r

got in to find "ARGH"

My ############ ##### sky plus box went down again

losing all the games i have saved on it

8 boxes now in a year

is the cable tv sat system in Thailand any better?

Archived