Manchester United

redrus

we play our reserves mate and we still get through,unlike city who play there full team and get beat, pity that southend won,as a united and leeds game would have been great.

You still had SEVEN internationals in your team (not bad for reserves) :D We haven't got seven internationals in the whole history of our club :o:D

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we play our reserves mate and we still get through,unlike city who play there full team and get beat, pity that southend won,as a united and leeds game would have been great.

You still had SEVEN internationals in your team (not bad for reserves) :D We haven't got seven internationals in the whole history of our club :D:D

Most of them have played very limited first team action for while fella, come on, you're being very picky today....!

Uwe's dad bombed Old Trafford surely thats a score for a national team.......... :D:o:D

redrus

SOUTHEND NEXT STOP

By Editor

Thursday 26th October 2006

Fergie said:

“Against Crewe it was typical of what you expect when you play sides like them. Southend will be no different; they will have nothing to lose and it will be a very difficult game for us.”

Shrimpers boss Steve Tilson:

“It's going to be such a memorable occasion for the football club, we've never played Manchester United and they are top of the Premiership at the moment so we couldn't have got a better draw, it's just fantastic.

“They might have played a mixed side tonight but they still had some first team players out there, whatever side a team of their quality puts out it is going to be full of stars.

“Crewe were excellent and they should have taken it to penalties but they can be proud of their performance. Just think - Barrett versus Rooney, Ferdinand versus Eastwood, it's going to be tremendous.”

Full draw:

Notts County v Wycombe

Tottenham v Port Vale

Birmingham v Liverpool

Chelsea v Aston Villa

Watford v Newcastle

Chesterfield v Charlton

Southend v Man Utd

Everton v Arsenal

redrus

FERGIE FUMES AT STUTTERING REDS

By redissue

Thursday 26th October 2006

Still no sign of any successors to the ’92 vintage.

Fergie on last night:

“I don't know what to make of it. I am really disappointed with the performance. I told the players these teams will battle and make it hard and we would have to match that. But we didn’t. We allowed them to make the play.

“Maybe it was difficult for my senior players to motivate themselves, but I'm really disappointed with the performance because I told them we had to match Crewe's endeavour and they didn't do that.

“Crewe were the better team, showed great enthusiasm and were unlucky. We will learn from this.

“It was looking like penalties until Kieran saved me from embarrassment. He's a great young player and he took his goal really well. I never win penalty shoot-outs. The only one I've ever won was in the Charity Shield more than 10 years ago.”

Crewe boss Dario Gradi:

“I said beforehand that we had to make it a memorable occasion and that meant extra effort, determination and running. That’s what the players gave us. I thought we created the better chances.

“It would have been a feather in our cap to have knocked them out, but my players shouldn’t be disappointed. I spoke to Sir Alex. We did our usual: compared our heart situations and then talked football.

“They have nothing to be ashamed of, quite the opposite. I was very pleased with the performance and, at 1-1, I thought we were going to win it. I did not expect to concede that late.”

redrus

This from the Oliver Holt writing in the Mirror... Spot on in my view.. and I never did like prawn sandwiches..

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

AT Old Trafford on Sunday, they brought two lads out on to the pitch before the kick-off and told them they were friends. The crowd booed.

The Manchester United fan and the Liverpool fan smiled awkwardly, swapped pennants, posed for images of reconciliation and then wandered back to the touchline.

We're all supposed to be buddies now in the Premiership's profitable happy family - and I can't stand it.

I'm not condoning Liverpool fans attacking the ambulance taking Alan Smith to hospital last season.

I'm not saying that songs about people dying on a runway in Munich or on a terrace at Hillsborough don't make my stomach turn.

And I'm certainly not advocating a return to the dark days of the 70s and 80s when the stain of hooliganism spread throughout the game.

But I don't want the alternative the Premier League are putting forward either. I don't want the Glazers' vision of football where a club is reduced to a 'stable brand'.

I don't want a sport where someone like United chief executive David Gill can ban the Manchester United Supporters' Trust from the Fans' Forum.

I don't want a sanitised version of football. I don't want the Americanisation of football where there are no away supporters and no atmosphere and little enmity.

There were more than 75,000 people at Old Trafford for the meeting of the two tribes of the north west, the biggest crowd ever to see a Premiership game.

The atmosphere was good. But it wasn't that good. Not nearly as good as it should have been in a football cathedral like that.

But that seems to be what the authorities want. They're driving the traditional fans away and shipping in the corporates faster than you can say "hospitality package". They're trying to anaesthetise the experience of watching football.

Well, I don't want everyone to be friends. One of the things I used to love most about football was its tribalism and its sense of belonging.

That's why I used to go to football back in the 80s. To watch the game, of course. But to feel part of something. To revel in the anonymity of being part of a seething crowd.

I loved the swaying on the terraces and the eruptions of joy and aggression. And yet all that has been diluted now that we're all supposed to be friends.

If we're not careful, we're going to rid English football of the one thing that still makes it special - the atmosphere inside the stadia. That's what foreign players talk about after they've left the Premiership. They talk about how vocal the supporters are inside the stadium.

Even Tiger Woods noticed it when he went to a Chelsea match before the Ryder Cup. "You guys do a lot of singing, huh," he said with a grin.

And he's right. We still do a lot of singing. Perhaps that will be next on the hit-list. Like heckling at a Labour Party Conference, the way things are going in football, it may soon be deemed undesirable.

I still got a thrill on Sunday when I saw United and Liverpool being led out by Gary Neville and Steven Gerrard, two proud men who would rather play for Timbuktu than join the enemy.

And even though they are rivals who detest each other for 90 minutes, they are friends off the pitch and great ambassadors for their cities as well as their teams.

Last season, of course, the FA punished Neville for the heinous sin of celebrating victory over Liverpool. How pathetic was that?

And on Saturday, a referee following instructions booked Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack for hugging fans when they scored against Portsmouth.

It's the same punishment if you take your shirt off, although that's mainly because the money men are petrified of ambush marketing.

You get a yellow card for celebrating a goal. You get punished for any kind of spontaneity.

It's getting beyond funny. It's getting scary. Big Brother's getting bigger all the time.

Bolton tomorrow at the Reebok.. I must confess to being a little concerned as they usually give us a tough game and are playing well at the moment.. but.. no Nolan so that's a plus..

Meanwhile, some views from Big Sam:

Bolton boss Allardyce fears Rooney backlash

tribalfooball.com - October 26, 2006

Bolton Wanderers boss Sam Allardyce admits he doesn't have any idea how to stop Manchester United star Wayne Rooney.

Rooney, who turned 21 this week, has not scored since netting twice in United's opening game victory over Fulham.

But Bolton boss Allardyce believes the England forward is now over his dip and knows his 10-game goal-drought cannot carry on for much longer.

Big Sam said: "I hope he doesn't start scoring again against us. But he seems to have started playing exceptionally well again after a bit of a lean time.

"I'm sure Sir Alex and everyone at United is pleased because he is a hugely talented player who gets a lot of media attention and the club have handled him extremely well."

Bolton's skinflint defence have yet to concede at home this season.

But Allardyce admitted: "You can't make plans to stop Rooney - not if he is on top form. I think he can now challenge the world's best."

Another Red Devil the Bolton boss admires is Paul Scholes, 31.

Allardyce added: "Scholes is showing his class above all midfield players in this country again.

"He's one of the world's best and that's the opinion of everyone in football."

I'm not normally a fan of Holt but I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

I only started watching United in th early 80's as 6 year old but, even then the crowds were really intimidating, for the first 5 minutes of my first game anyway.

As time passed Europe was a no no and then on to Hillsborough and, all seater stadia, the grounds have become more sterile :o . I'm sad to say United have been at the forefront of these corporate movements :D . I'm also happy, that our away support reminds me that its still there waiting for the day when the ground can be filled with happy people singing for the club they love and, kids like I was, overawed for a bit, then joining in with sway, song and banter.

I believe the good times may never return though. :D

redrus

*Love United/FC, Hate Glazer.

FootyMAD's Bolton Wanderers match preview

By Footymad

Friday 27th October 2006

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Bolton Wanderers take on Manchester United in a Premiership match on Saturday 28th October 2006 at 15:00.

History of the Bolton Wanderers v Manchester United fixture

Man Utd. face a trip to Bolton Wanderers at Reebok Stadium on Saturday afternoon, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 53 games played, Red Devils have recorded 15 wins, and Bolton Wdrs. have come away with 24 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was less than a year ago, in April 2006, with Man Utd. inflicting a narrow 1 - 2 defeat upon the The Trotters in a Premiership match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, Click Here.

Recent encounters between the teams:

2005/2006 Sat 01 Apr Bolton Wdrs. 1 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sat 31 Dec Man Utd. 4 - 1 Bolton Wdrs. PREM

2004/2005 Sun 26 Dec Man Utd. 2 - 0 Bolton Wdrs. PREM

2004/2005 Sat 11 Sep Bolton Wdrs. 2 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

2003/2004 Wed 07 Jan Bolton Wdrs. 1 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

2003/2004 Sat 16 Aug Man Utd. 4 - 0 Bolton Wdrs. PREM

2002/2003 Sat 22 Feb Bolton Wdrs. 1 - 1 Man Utd. PREM

Recent respective form guides

Bolton Wanderers are in decent form at home, having won four and drawn two of their last six games, These games have seen the The Trotters score just 7 goals, though they have conceded 1.

Man Utd.'s away form is equally impressive, remaining unbeaten in their last six, winning five and drawing the one. Those games have seen the Red Devils pummel 12 goals, and let in 4.

Bolton Wdrs. sit in a healthy 3rd in the league, and have picked up 20 points from their 9 games. Man Utd. are currently sitting proudly at the top of the entire league, having collected 22 points from the 9 games played.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, Click Here.

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Bolton Wdrs. 6 5 0 1 9 3 15

Man Utd. 6 6 0 0 13 2 18

FootyMad's prediction ...

Man Utd. are in smashing form away from home at present, and Footymad sees this carrying them to a narrow victory at Bolton Wdrs.. Away win

Sequence statistics:

Bolton Wdrs. Unbeaten in the last 7 home games.

Not drawn a match in their last 6 .

Man Utd. 3 successive away victories.

4 games since last away draw.

Won each of the previous 6 matches.

Last drawn game 7 outings ago.

redrus

Pearce inspired by Fergie

By Alex Livie -Sky, Created on 27 Oct 2006

Stuart Pearce has urged Alan Pardew and Iain Dowie to look to Sir Alex Ferguson for inspiration.

Pardew and Dowie are under close scrutiny due to the disappointing starts to the season at West Ham and Charlton respectively.

Manchester City boss Pearce is blaming sections of the media for piling the pressure on managers, but has urged them to shrug off the adverse coverage and cited Ferguson as a shining example.

It has been stated that Ferguson was one game away from the sack at Manchester United in January 1990, but up stepped Mark Robins to hand The Red Devils a 1-0 FA Cup win over Nottingham Forest. They went on to lift the trophy and the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

And Pearce feels any managers who are fearing the sack should look to the wily Scot for inspiration.

"If you are looking for a shining light you have only to look at Sir Alex Ferguson who by all accounts was under some sort of pressure some ten, 15 years ago when he started at Manchester United and now look at what he has gone on to achieve," Pearce said on Sky Sports News.

"I have been around the game so long now that I have seen the ups and downs, but at the moment it seems to be accelerating out of all control.

"It is Alan Pardew this week, Iain Dowie next week, Stuart Pearce the week before, Gareth Southgate the week before and so on.

"Is it going to be Rafa Benitez next? He has had designs on the championship and spent a lot of money. It is a ridiculous trend.

"I know my job from the start to the end of the season and it is why that when I was sat here this time last year, people were telling me how good I was doing and I said wait until the end of the season.

"I am saying the same again now, wait until the end of the season and judge me on how I've done.

"I think it is easy journalism. It is easy to fill a paper saying this manager should go or that manager should go, rather than sit down and maybe put some thought into a proper story."

redrus

27/10/2006 10:55, Report by Gemma Thompson on the Official Site

Ronaldo back to face Bolton

Cristiano Ronaldo is available for United's trip to Bolton having recovered from the illness that prevented him starting against Liverpool last weekend.

The Portuguese winger was only deemed fit enough for a place on the bench because of a flu bug, however, after a week's rest he is ready to make his return against the Trotters on Saturday.

"Ronaldo is back," revealed the United boss at his pre-match press briefing which you can see in full on MUTV Online later this afternoon. "Everyone is fit [apart from Ji-sung Park], but none of the players who played on Wednesday at Crewe will play.

"I'll be relying on the ones who played last Sunday against Liverpool."

The Reds have not lost at Bolton since 1978 and left the Reebok with a 2-1 win last time out. Sir Alex is hoping for a repeat result on Saturday, but fully expects Sam Allardyce's men to put up a brave fight.

"It'll be a tough game," he insisted. "Bolton haven't lost a goal at home this season which is a fantastic record. It reflects the great job Sam has done."

redrus

I'm not normally a fan of Holt but I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

I only started watching United in th early 80's as 6 year old but, even then the crowds were really intimidating, for the first 5 minutes of my first game anyway.

As time passed Europe was a no no and then on to Hillsborough and, all seater stadia, the grounds have become more sterile :D . I'm sad to say United have been at the forefront of these corporate movements :D . I'm also happy, that our away support reminds me that its still there waiting for the day when the ground can be filled with happy people singing for the club they love and, kids like I was, overawed for a bit, then joining in with sway, song and banter.

I believe the good times may never return though. :D

redrus

*Love United/FC, Hate Glazer.

redrus I totatlly agree with all of the above

fergie was very very good in his and our heyday but now we need someone else but who thats the problem :D

If we win anything this season i will eat my hat

lukily it is made of liquirice and i love the stuff :o

great result by united all the team played excellent.

well done rooney i new someone was going to pay he is to good to go 10 games or so without scoring.

and a mention vidic is f**king brilliant.

great result by united all the team played excellent.

well done rooney i new someone was going to pay he is to good to go 10 games or so without scoring.

and a mention vidic is f**king brilliant.

Yes,what a top performance by the Reds!

Excellant viewing

With plenty of sharp passing,good movement both on & off the ball by all the players

and Nemanja Vidic he was like a faulty engine he cut out that much of boltons play

the Reds attack were nearly queueing up for chances

Wayne Rooney,what a hat trick,nearly the man of the match but def the best united player

The man of the match was easily the Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen,he was in superb form :D

and it would have been a very crushing defeat for Bolton :D

had it not been for him :D we would have won 6 maybe 8 nil :D:D:D

the following link says it all

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/video_and_...ide/4304501.stm

well done Man U :D

and blo#dy good keeping Jaaskelainen (you Bas...t..#rd) :o

United 4 Bolton 0

By Steve-- UWS.

Date: 29/10/2006

Rooney will grab the headlines because of the hat trick, but it's dificult to single out a player in a game which in parts saw United at their best in terms of devasting destruction. First v. Third, more like men against boys.

The plaudits will all go to Wayne Rooney after he broke his 'goal drought' as the papers were calling it. But in truth the whole team should receive the accolades for a performance which at times probably reached the best it can.

So the victory was only against a Bolton side which believes route one football the best way to entertain. Maybe that's a reason why the stands were surprisingly empty despite the visit of the their most wanted scalp. But for the packed followers of our shirts the first whistle for once saw what would probably be our strongest line-up, (Heinze for Evra the only question mark), and a break from the blocks that left the home side reeling and the match over despite several chances unconverted. But the two that made the difference, strikes from the left and right boot of Rooney respectively, were devastating in both simplicity and style.

As a team United created, entertained and enjoyed the training run. Carrick found passes with right and left foot to devastating effect for two of the goals, the second of which Saha had selflessly handed on a platter to Ronaldo. It was a grand performance.

Defensively United seemingly had little to do but that betrays the fact that Vidic and Rio made all they did seem so simple. With Vidic so dominant in the air, springing to win every header torpedo like and often with arms by his side, I guess it was bound to appear so. But if there was any question hanging over the performance, it was just how good it was, for the opposition offered little to compare against.

If this eleven started every week, it'd be hard not to believe we did have a really good season to look forward to.

Exellent display.

redrus

MEN Player Ratings.

Van der SAR - had the best view in the house for 25 minutes, and a physical battle with Bolton's front line after that 6

Neville - Not really a day for United defenders, but he overlapped to good effect and tidied at the back 6

Ferdinand - Could afford to have an easy day of it with his defensive partner in such commanding form 6

Vidic - Awesome at the back at a time when Bolton tried to bludgeon their way back into the game through physical presence 8

Evra - Found the going a bit too physical once Bolton got into gear, and ended up being stretchered off 6

Carrick - Amid all the flamboyance and the flair, he was available to keep the cogs oiled with smart, quick passing 8

Ronaldo - Played his part in a magnificent opening 25 minutes by United, but drifted in and out of the game after that 7

Giggs - Sublime at times in the first half, and his work rate didn't drop when the match became more of a contest 7

Scholes - His passing was as sweet and sure as ever, and he still put in the customary rattling tackles when needed 8

Rooney - Two (3) goals of supreme quality completed his fightback from poor form - back at his monstrous best 9

Saha - Should have scored in second half, and that would have been a fitting reward for his link-up play 7

Subs

Heinze (for Evra 62 mins) - eased back into action after Wednesday's exertions 5

O'Shea (for Saha 84) - Just a tidying up job to do when he came on 5

Fletcher (for Giggs 84) - His only job was to see the game to the final whistle 5

GOALS - Rooney (10, 16, 89), Ronaldo (82) for United

BOOKINGS - Davies (53) for Bolton. Scholes (67) for United.

They look about the closest to me.... :o

redrus

Rooney praise for partner

By Tom Adams- Sky - Created on 29 Oct 2006

Wayne Rooney has praised Louis Saha for the way the Frenchman has stepped up to replace Ruud van Nistelrooy at Manchester United.

The striker has hit six goals so far this season after inheriting first team responsibilities from van Nistelrooy following his summer move to Real Madrid, and has flourished alongside Rooney at the sharp end of the United attack.

Saha's form has been the perfect answer for Sir Alex Ferguson after being criticised for his sale of the Dutch international, and Rooney - who scored a hat-trick of his own on Saturday - says his new partner has proved a more than adequate replacement.

"I've had to adjust a little bit this season because Ruud and Louis are two different types of players," said Rooney in the News of the World.

"Louis is a bit better running in behind than Ruud was and I think he is also stronger and faster.

"So playing with Louis gives me a bit more time to get on the ball.

"To play with Ruud was good because I could learn a lot from him.

"He is one of the most, if not the most, naturally gifted strikers around.

"We obviously knew we would miss his goals this year.

"But Louis has now come into the side and has done really well."

redrus

The rumour mill gets a 50 in the genny once again....!

From Square Fooball.net.

Transfer speculation: Owen Hargreaves to Manchester United (undisclosed)

"There seems little doubt that the player wants to be in the Premiership..."

Its an old saying that the time to add quality to a squad is when you're winning so Manchester United's pursuit of Owen Hargreaves is probably back on.

The News of the World says that Sir Alex Ferguson has £20 million available for January and he wants to spend the bulk of it on the England midfielder. At least we know that this is a credible target after the Old Trafford boss tried hard to get his man during the summer.

Bayern played hard ball before the season began and they aren't likely to make things much easier if United come back after Christmas. The reality is though that keeping unsettled players is often not worth the effort.

Despite United's blistering start, the reason Sir Alex wanted Hargreaves hasn't gone away. The Old Trafford squad still lacks a quality midfielder with bite, stamina and physical presence, which may catch up on them as the season progresses.

Hargreaves unlikely emergence as a hero at the World Cup thrust him into the spotlight and gave Bayern an unwelcome shock as his stock suddenly rose. There seems little doubt that the player wants to be in the Premiership and he'll be here at some point, whether Bayern like it or not.

The club's management may decide to cash on his value now while they can demand a big fee, as his price will surely drop in the future.

redrus

EARLY TEAM NEWS

By Ed

Wednesday 1st November 2006

Giggs, Saha and Neville out injured.

Ryan Giggs, Louis Saha and Gary Neville are out of United's game with FC Copenhagen tonight.

Neville and Giggs may also miss the weekend match against Portsmouth with Neville having a recurrence of his calf injury while Giggs has a hamstring complaint. Saha has hurt his knee and should only miss the Copenhagen game.

“We had a tough game at Bolton on Saturday and we have another Saturday match this week, which doesn’t make it any easier for us in terms of the injury situation,” said Ferguson.

“But we do have players like Wes Brown and Gabriel Heinze to come in so things are not so bad.”

“I am delighted with the form of the team,” said Ferguson.

“We want to make sure we qualify tomorrow. That is a priority for us.”

He seemed slightly more concerned with Neville's injury:

"It is a difficult one," admitted Ferguson. "We could have played him but I am worried the recovery from Saturday's game is short, so we decided to give him more training.

"If the injury keeps recurring we have a problem, so we need to try and nip it in the bud now to ensure when he comes back into the team he is 100 percent fit.

"We don't want him playing, then needing treatment. That is the way you pick up other injuries."

United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Heinze, Silvestre, Lee, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, O’Shea, Fletcher, Jones, Richardson, Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer.

redrus

Some pre-match quotes from Ferguson

Speaking ahead of tonight's game Ferguson thinks this year could be United's year to win the Champions League

"We have an opportunity with a new team that's full of promise and I think they could do it,"

"I think there's maybe half a dozen teams that could win the European Cup, that's how open it is.

"You have Bayern Munich who've started the group very well and I think Lyon are a team we should really pay attention to. I think their form has been fantastic.

"Of course Barcelona you can't dismiss them, and I think that the four English teams will have a chance."

"We have shown promise in a lot of games this year and what we need to do is to maintain that and show a consistency that good teams have,"

"I'm quite positive about it, there's a good spirit among the players and I think the most encouraging thing for me is the squad as a whole have done well. No matter how many changes we've made in games, they've still given us the right answers.

"They've played with great imagination in the game and it doesn't matter which team we're playing they're all showing these traits. I think we have a chance this year."

redrus

THOMAS INJURED AT AIRPORT

He fell down a flight of stairs.

From the MEN

Former Manchester United and Wales footballer Mickey Thomas was taken to hospital today after he fell down a flight of steps at Manchester Airport.

It is understood he managed to board the Monarch Airlines charter plane after he fell while leaving the terminal building at about 10am, but then asked the cabin crew if he could get back off.

Paramedics took him to Wythenshawe Hospital in an ambulance.

A spokeswoman for Manchester Airport said: "We can confirm that an incident involving former Manchester United and Welsh international player Mickey Thomas occurred at Manchester Airport this morning.

"Mr Thomas was accompanying the Manchester United team and we understand that, as he was leaving the terminal building to board a 10am Monarch flight bound for Copenhagen, he fell on the stairs."

redrus

HARGREAVES EXCITES FERGUSON

Especially while Scholes still has an eye problem

From the Grauniad

A year to the day since Roy Keane went on MUTV to "nail certain players", Manchester United arrived in Denmark as the Premiership's top side and on the point of qualification to the Champions League knockout phase, yet still Sir Alex Ferguson is not satisfied. The club have come a long way since Keane's tirade, but Ferguson still craves a midfielder to replace his former captain, and he confirmed for the first time that he planned to resurrect a deal for Owen Hargreaves.

Ferguson had to choose his words carefully given Bayern Munich's threats to report him for making clandestine approaches, but the manager must be confident of finally getting his man considering that his normal modus operandi is to deflect any questions about potential transfer business.

"We are interested," he declared, in what may have been a deliberate attempt to lift Hargreaves's spirits as he recovers from a broken leg. United are aware that the England international has pinned his hopes on a move during the January transfer window and Ferguson made it clear the club would try to succeed where they failed in August. Pressed further, he said: "I can't give you anything more in terms of an update because we haven't spoken to Bayern."

The obvious question would then be how Ferguson, if successful, plans to fit three into two in the centre of midfield. Paul Scholes, arguably, is playing as well as at any stage of his career, an amazing feat given that Ferguson revealed that the player, who will be 32 this month, still had "slight haziness" affecting his vision after 10 months of eye problems. Carrick, the £18m acquisition now wearing Keane's No16 shirt, had an ordinary start after joining from Tottenham, but his form has improved and there were words of encouragement from his manager.

"He's a fantastic passer of the ball and he will excel for this club, particularly in Europe when it's so vital to keep the ball," said Ferguson. "His performances have been good but Scholes has been absolutely superb and, because of that, Carrick has had a cameo role. All the focus has been on Scholes and maybe that's been good for Carrick. It's enabled him to settle at the club, take his time and he's producing some good football for us now."

Carrick is seen by Ferguson as the long-term replacement for Scholes, with Hargreaves playing a more defensive role. At present, however, Scholes looks as though he could play for another five years and United's prime deal-maker, the chief executive David Gill, will not need to point out to Ferguson that Bayern may provide challenging opposition when it comes to thrashing out Hargreaves's future.

Far less complicated, on the list of Gill's jobs for the new year, will be tying Ryan Giggs to a new contract. United are to offer their longest-serving player a one- or two-year extension in January when, theoretically, he would be free to speak to other clubs. Giggs, who will be 33 this month, has been outstanding so far this season and has already indicated he wants to stay at Old Trafford for the remainder of his career. Of more immediate concern was that the Wales captain was not on the flight for United's second match against FC Copenhagen in a fortnight.

redrus

UNHAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Has Ferguson stayed too long?

Oliver Holt in the Mirror has his say as Ferguson's twentieth anniversary looms.

Next Monday, Sir Alex Ferguson will celebrate 20 years in charge of Manchester United.

In some ways, I'd like to join in the accompanying orgy of back-slapping and misty-eyed remembrance. But I can't.

I'm happy to acknowledge that after Bob Paisley and Brian Clough, Ferguson has been one of the most successful and brilliant managers in English football history.

He has consistently produced teams that have played breathtaking attacking football and which have been superb ambassadors for our game. He has moulded players and men to admire in his two decades at the helm and built United back up into one of England's leading clubs.

But like celebrating his pal Tony Blair's 10 years as prime minister next May, Fergie's anniversary amounts to nothing more than a lazy and meaningless ballyhoo for a man who has stayed on too long.

Whatever United go on to achieve this season or in seasons to come, nothing changes the fact that Ferguson should have quit in 2002 when he said he was going to quit.

But then, depending on what you want to believe, his nerve failed him, his wife got to him or he found out how much Sven Goran Eriksson was going to be earning as his replacement.

And so he made one of the worst and weakest decisions of his life and decided to stay on. In the four years that have elapsed since, his legacy has been irrevocably tarnished.

We can't include blowing £28million on Juan Sebastian Veron because that happened in the summer of 2001.

But there was plenty else. Most of all, there was his row with United's major shareholders, John Magnier and JP McManus, over wonder horse Rock Of Gibraltar in 2003. Magnier had given Ferguson a share in the winnings of the horse. For nothing. And Ferguson's response was to attempt to sue him for a share of the stud rights.

That not only ruined a beautiful friendship. It set in chain a series of events that led directly to the sale of Manchester United to Malcolm Glazer.

That sale has plunged the club into huge debt, left it with a lame duck chief executive in David Gill and alienated thousands of die-hard United supporters. To make matters worse Ferguson, who prides himself on being a socialist, has turned his back on those supporters and scorned them as self-publicists.

What else? The disastrous signings of Kleberson, Eric Djemba-Djemba, Park Ji-Sung, Liam Miller. The way he handled the departure of Roy Keane. The premature offloading of loyal servants Nicky Butt and Phil Neville. His catastrophic management of Rio Ferdinand's missed drugs test.

His sale of David Beckham. His negligence in failing to reinforce United's midfield until this season's overpriced acquisition of Michael Carrick.

Of course, the man is a living legend. He belongs in the pantheon with Paisley, Clough and Bill Shankly. But strip it down and under his management Manchester United, who call themselves the biggest club in the world, have won the European Cup once in 20 years.

In the same period FC Porto and Barcelona have won it twice, Real Madrid three times and AC Milan four times.

The European dynasty Ferguson vowed to found never materialised. The win in the Nou Camp in 1999 was a one-hit wonder.

So lavish praise on Sir Alex Ferguson. But don't get too misty-eyed when next Monday rolls around.

At the top of the page it says all the news and views, I like to think I can keep open mind, even if I am a little bias.

Maybe its just Oliver Holt and, or the Mirror ion general. They never have had anything positive to say about United.

Fergie has had lots of luck along the way, you need it in anything these days, even if you're an eagle eyed "special one". Some of his signings have been pretty bad but, without admitting his mistakes those players are usually out the door pretty quick.

I thought Veron was a great player. Fergie just made the mistake of trying to please all when, he should have just picked the best team in the best formation.

Park Ji Sung, will be a good player, I'm just not sure if thats at United. That went for Liam Miller too, just too lightweight.

Eric 2x and kleberson never should have been bought, although the latter may have faired better had he not got a long term injury in his first outing.

Rio's missed drug test should not be blamed in anyway on Fergie, Rio missed the test....!

The only major stick in my throat, is the Glazer situation, but, then again, I only really care what happens on the pitch and about the players/results. If I get priced out of games by the Glazer regime yes, I will be as sick as a dog. Even then, my love for United will not falter, the players will still be there and so will Manchester United and its army of real fans. United will return to the hands of the fans, one day.

Butt and Neville, the sale was inevitable, no-one could have predicted the midfield crisis. It may well work in our favour though. Carrick will be good for us, I've seen him play and I have faith. If Hargreaves comes which I think he will, all will be forgotten and, tits like Oliver Holt will run for the hills again. Until the inevitable day comes when we start playing <deleted> again............. :o

So, on Monday, I will get a little misty eyed, the good and great times certainly outweigh the bad. I was there, in Rotterdam when it first really started. I looked misty eyed at my ticket the other day. :D

redrus.

Love United Hate Glazer

did not see the game but could see that comming old tinker bell resting players again, and yes well done copenhagen serves us bloody right,well it mean the next game against celtic means even more for us now, play a full strength teams win us get through and knock those sweaty jocks out at the same time.

OLE OUT

Thursday 2nd November 2006

Hamstring injury leaves Ferguson relieved.

Ferguson: "Ole's done his hamstring, unfortunately for us."

However there is actually relief it is only that:

"I'm glad to hear that news. When I saw him going off, I didn't know what to expect, given the history he's had with his knee. But that's okay."

redrus

did not see the game but could see that comming old tinker bell resting players again, and yes well done copenhagen serves us bloody right,well it mean the next game against celtic means even more for us now, play a full strength teams win us get through and knock those sweaty jocks out at the same time.

I'm going up to Celtic fella, no ticket as yet but a load of us have sorted a resonable hotel. Hopefully I'll get a reasonable ticket too, oh and a more than reasonable result.... :o

redrus

have a safe trip mate,wish i was going,the rangers game the other year loads of reds made the trip m.i.b's should be out in force.

i will be watching in a bar in pattaya two of us are contemplating going in the celtic bar with our united shirts on,lol, maybe!!

Archived