A Classic Fish Batter For Fish'N'Chips Uk Style

MEL1

If I can't get or have run out of Dutch mayo then I mix Heinz full fat salad cream with a good dollop of Coleman's. Nothing like the same but I like it.

Interesting...

Where I come from we weren't exactly spoiled for choice on the mayo front biggrin.png

i second that

i find the best foods the best one

Try Kewpie (I think that is how you spell it), yellowish packet with blue writing for the 'light' packs. Not nearly as sweet as most Thai mayo's. I get it from Makro.

Edited by cardholder
  • Like 1

The problem is the Potatos for the Chips. Unless they are imported the potatos in Thailand are too soft, starch content is not good for the chips and consequently the chips just become mushy, soft and limp, and the frozen ones are not very good either,

Makro do a superb frozen chips called ( Makros finest ) its the one in a predominantly black bag, they do a shoe string and a regular cut , good price too.

The problem is the Potatos for the Chips. Unless they are imported the potatos in Thailand are too soft, starch content is not good for the chips and consequently the chips just become mushy, soft and limp, and the frozen ones are not very good either,

Makro do a superb frozen chips called ( Makros finest ) its the one in a predominantly black bag, they do a shoe string and a regular cut , good price too.

It is always personal choice/taste.

We have used Makro's own brand ARO crinkle cut chips and they are fine. Excellent value if you buy by the box! I have a slight preference for Farm Frites crinkle cut but they are not always in stock.

hey...I useta get dutch mayo in Vietnam alla time and it was quite good...

and here is the hotel manager who is in her mid 20s and very attactive as tutsi prepares tuna mayonnaise...'what is that tutsi?'... 'it's tuna with mayonnaise and it makes a very nice sandwich...please have some...'

and then she sez: ' erm...not right now'...and then tutsi looks past her spectacles and deep into her fanthomless black vietnamese eyes and sez: 'and in Holland they put this mayonnaise on their chips instead of ketchup' and then I would reach fer her splendid vietnamese backside and then she would shout: 'you think that I am an ignorant vietnamese girl! I have been to university and no one puts that stuff on their chips where ever ye go!...' and then I tried to explain in a way that would facilitate the removal of her clothing but she would have none of it...she was highly annoyed and thought that I was disrespectful...and she was a very pretty girl...

ah...them unpredictable vietnamese women...

and here is the hotel manager who is in her mid 20s and very attactive as tutsi prepares tuna mayonnaise...'what is that tutsi?'... 'it's tuna with mayonnaise and it makes a very nice sandwich...please have some...'

and then she sez: ' erm...not right now'...and then tutsi looks past her spectacles and deep into her fanthomless black vietnamese eyes and sez: 'and in Holland they put this mayonnaise on their chips instead of ketchup' and then I would reach fer her splendid vietnamese backside and then she would shout: 'you think that I am an ignorant vietnamese girl! I have been to university and no one puts that stuff on their chips where ever ye go!...' and then I tried to explain in a way that would facilitate the removal of her clothing but she would have none of it...she was highly annoyed and thought that I was disrespectful...and she was a very pretty girl...

I see the sun has passed well over the yardarm smile.png

I see the sun has passed well over the yardarm smile.png

and then Bligh when cast adrift by Fletcher Christian and the other mutineers sez: 'I'm not through with you Christian! I shall live to see you hanging from the highest yardarm in the British navy!...'

and then tutsi clips his fingernails and mutters 'ho hum...'

and then tutsi sez to the pretty vietnamese hotel manager: 'say babe... lets go get a couple of pepsis and relax, whaddaya say?' and then she sez: 'well, OK but I don't wanna hear nothin' about pommes frites and mayonnaise, agreed?' and then tutsi tugs gently at her clothing and murmurrs "sure babe, sure...'

• 2 weeks later...

So, did anybody really try the OP recipe?

I'm interested to know - cos it certainly is scrumptous.

I also found that Cod isn't necessary. Tesco L does a frozen pack of 3 large white-fish, which is white creamed 'pangasius' fillets from Vietnam, and 85 Baht currently for 3 large breasts. It is thinner than Cod, but much longer and when deep fried in batter is much more fluffy.

Worth a very good try, my friends..... esp for the cost.

-mel.

I like fish and chips and when I useta go to the local chippie in Brighton run by chinese I would observe closely and ask 'whaddaya put in the batter?' and the old chinese guy would say 'very simple' and go about his business...inscrutable asian nonsense...but the fish sure tasted good...

now, I've tried it at home and either too fluffy like tempura or soggy as shit and I gave up as it makes a huge mess to clean up after...snapper is a good substitute for cod btw...in the Gulf area of the ME they use a local variety called hamour and it is excellent...

but hooray for those that experiment locally in Thailand in their kitchens with available ingredients and all power to them!

I always used Chinese chippies in the UK. They fry in light vegetable oil, not the heavy rancid lard the Brits use. Light and fluffy batter not heavy soggy mush.

I like fish and chips and when I useta go to the local chippie in Brighton run by chinese I would observe closely and ask 'whaddaya put in the batter?' and the old chinese guy would say 'very simple' and go about his business...inscrutable asian nonsense...but the fish sure tasted good...

now, I've tried it at home and either too fluffy like tempura or soggy as shit and I gave up as it makes a huge mess to clean up after...snapper is a good substitute for cod btw...in the Gulf area of the ME they use a local variety called hamour and it is excellent...

but hooray for those that experiment locally in Thailand in their kitchens with available ingredients and all power to them!

I always used Chinese chippies in the UK. They fry in light vegetable oil, not the heavy rancid lard the Brits use. Light and fluffy batter not heavy soggy mush.

Your generalisation speaks volumes of your ignorance of good British Fish and Chips.

I had another go this weekend, my conclusion, batter as the op states is good, (as said I use soda water not beer) however I would suggest if you really want crispy, browned batter, and succulent fish, cook thin fillets from frozen for sure, and even the larger fillets retain their moisture better from frozen. I guess fresh fish is ok if you can crisp and brown the batter quickly, alas my oil in an open sauce pan is too risky to push the heat of the fat to it's furthest limit!

Today, I tried another fish and chip shop favourite from my youth

Beefburger in Batter, works a treat, dipped in the same batter mix after a coating of flour

I'll have to cut down on the experimenting for while though...... my weight is rising!! sad.png

• 2 weeks later...

Beefburger in Batter, works a treat, dipped in the same batter mix after a coating of flour

I'll have to cut down on the experimenting for while though...... my weight is rising!! sad.png

and what about that scottish delicacy the deep fried battered mars bar

and what about that scottish delicacy the deep fried battered mars bar

I try to stay away from bars, but prefer the one formerly known as marathon, not fried!

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

doing beer battered fish today. did a test piece first thing and the batter was coming out really dark brown looking burnt almost, done this beer batter many times with no problem, only thing different this time was i used chang beer so made another batch with leo, perfect.

why is this, i am thinking something to do with sugar content of the beer.

One question, do you use malt vinegar right from the bottle or add anything, been a while since eating any, and wanting that vinegar taste again!

Forget the beer use the flour, egg, water and Baking powder salt pepper and a cap of viniger ( any ) with a squeeze of lime or lemmon mix together until smooth ( no lumps ) the batter should just coat the back of a spoon . place fish in seasoned flour then into the batter and place into hot oil the viniger keeps the batter crispy cook for 3/4 minutes on either side YUM YUM in my TUM

One question, do you use malt vinegar right from the bottle or add anything, been a while since eating any, and wanting that vinegar taste again!

Forget the beer use the flour, egg, water and Baking powder salt pepper and a cap of viniger ( any ) with a squeeze of lime or lemmon mix together until smooth ( no lumps ) the batter should just coat the back of a spoon . place fish in seasoned flour then into the batter and place into hot oil the viniger keeps the batter crispy cook for 3/4 minutes on either side YUM YUM in my TUM

Make the batter a good hour before can leave in fridge or keep covered on the kitchen top if you can get dried yeast it kicks the arse out of baking powder the best batter are made of yeast