Wine Tasting In Ubon Ratchathani

Bliib

I don't mean this as an ad, but thought the locals in Ubon would be interested to know that Baan Wine are now hosting weekly wine tasting sessions. I'll be heading down there tomorrow, and hope to meet fellow wine drinkers in Ubon there.

Like a bit of plonk myself, but never tasted anything as bad as Thai wine, give us a report on what they have and how bad it is. If it's OK may give it a try. Otherwise it';s my border run to Lao for a bottle of descent French or OZ wine, Jim

Like a bit of plonk myself, but never tasted anything as bad as Thai wine, give us a report on what they have and how bad it is. If it's OK may give it a try. Otherwise it';s my border run to Lao for a bottle of descent French or OZ wine, Jim

I guess you have never been to Malta then Jim.

I guess you have never been to Malta then Jim.

I have - lived there for many years. Drank local wine a lot and found several types that I enjoyed. Also had many a pleasant evening tasting home-made products! It's all down to personal taste isn't it?

Wow James, why all the negativity?

P.S - Most of the wines I've bought from Laos have been off due to poor storage facilities, heat etc. Even Thai's know this.

Never had a bad bottle from a proper store in Lao, but like everything from smokes to whiskey you need to learn to see the fakes. Good fakes at times, got done on a carton of LM last week perfect in every way until you lite one up.

As to this day I have never tasted a Thai wine that I would call good, most are barely drinkable at best. Willing to try some if some one can recommend a brand or vineyard. Jim

P.S - Most of the wines I've bought from Laos have been off due to poor storage facilities, heat etc. Even Thai's know this.

Never had a bad bottle from a proper store in Lao, but like everything from smokes to whiskey you need to learn to see the fakes. Good fakes at times, got done on a carton of LM last week perfect in every way until you lite one up.

As to this day I have never tasted a Thai wine that I would call good, most are barely drinkable at best. Willing to try some if some one can recommend a brand or vineyard. Jim

My die. One of my big toes will feel way too much pain when drinking red wine.

My die. One of my big toes will feel way too much pain when drinking red wine.

Gout, father had it, brother got it, sometime to look forward to, NOT. Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim, I thought the same as you about Thai wine. Very Sceptical... but couple people recommended this place... Try Hua Hin HillsVinyard about 30 ,in west of Hua Hin. They have pretty decent wine. it is the same price as a bottle of decent import. But It aint that cheap, I think about 1000+ THB per. They also have a beautiful restaurant with excellent 5star quality food. Its a very good day out..But again... it is same as Western costs. Not sure how much it is distributed. I lived in Hua Hin for 4 months and I was there 4 times.

Any reports on the vineyards in Loei? What about Khao Yai wines.

Hi Jim, I thought the same as you about Thai wine. Very Sceptical... but couple people recommended this place... Try Hua Hin HillsVinyard about 30 ,in west of Hua Hin. They have pretty decent wine. it is the same price as a bottle of decent import. But It aint that cheap, I think about 1000+ THB per. They also have a beautiful restaurant with excellent 5star quality food. Its a very good day out..But again... it is same as Western costs. Not sure how much it is distributed. I lived in Hua Hin for 4 months and I was there 4 times.

If I ever get down that far again will give them a try or if I see a bottle around, 1000 Baht is a bit pricey thought. Chong Mek , the duty free shop has some good reds around 400 Baht [ not Thai ] All in all wine is a tipple here, this is beer country. Jim

If I ever get down that far again will give them a try or if I see a bottle around, 1000 Baht is a bit pricey thought. Chong Mek , the duty free shop has some good reds around 400 Baht [ not Thai ] All in all wine is a tipple here, this is beer country. Jim

Tesco Lotus in Ubon have a decent selection of wines from Australia, South Africa, Chile, France, Italy, and more, for plus/minus 500 baht/bottle. biggrin.png

Tesco Lotus in Ubon have a decent selection of wines from Australia, South Africa, Chile, France, Italy, and more, for plus/minus 500 baht/bottle. biggrin.png

Wife just informed me that Hua Hin Hills was only about 750 per bottle not 1000 as I previously reported. This is for their Monsoon Valley line. They also sell a line of more premium stuff too.

I would say they are definitely better than what I see in Tesco at the 500 price range.

• 4 weeks later...

Report on PB Valley Winery at Khao Yai: Not impressed! Although this is supposed to be the flagship Thai winery I was not happy with their wine, their restaurant or their service. My wife and I went to Khoa Yai this past weekend and had dinner at the winery's restaurant "The Hornbill" The food was not so good, I ordered a bottle of Shiraz... it wasnt good so I asked for a decanter (I got a glass pitcher) and ordered a martini hoping some time would improve the wine. My appetizer came.... still no martini.... my entree came.... still no martini... my martini came (33% crushed ice/33% vermouth/33% gin) Shiraz after 35 minutes... still not good. My bill 2,700 THB.

Hua Hin Hills was miles better than this place... they had class, style and a staff who had obviously been educated about international wine culture.

Love a glass or several of chateau knock out drops, however the prices in Thailand are ridiculous, something to do with import duty I believe. Beer and spirits prices are similar to UK prices, but wine prices are well out of line. Wonder why?

Love a glass or several of chateau knock out drops, however the prices in Thailand are ridiculous, something to do with import duty I believe. Beer and spirits prices are similar to UK prices, but wine prices are well out of line. Wonder why?

Rice wine is cheap 30 Baht a bottle, not lao kow, rice wine. Local beer is cheap compared to Australia so is whiskey. While in big C a few days ago looked at some OZ wines I know and they were maybe a little dearer than in OZ, but not that much, a few dollars or 60 to 90 Baht more. Jim

Wine attracts 294% duty into Thailand.

Could anybody ask this guy if a 1976" Iphoefer Kronsberg Scheurebe Auslese" will be available at this place?

Thank you in advance. Should somebody find such a World Class Standard Wine, I'd not hesitate to come and drink a few bottles with him/her

.( And pay for it, of course!)

Im Wein ist die Wahrheit. Wine's keeping the truth. -----------wai.gif

Wine attracts 294% duty into Thailand.

Think you will find that this year import tariffs on OZ wine have dropped to 40% and will be fazed out by 2015 under the FTA,. Sure other counties have been making FTAs as well.

Cheap plonk is coming. Jim