BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
malct

Driving Lessons In Yasothon Or Ubon

Can anyone tell me if its possible to book a weeks driving lesson course and have a test at the end of the week, My wife is telling me that she can have a course of 2 hour sessions each day for a week and a test.

She seems to think that the price would be 5000 baht.

Regards

Malc

Never seen anyone do a driving course here. For that price would think the cops at the test center were doing the training. Most people just drive around until they get sick of paying the 200 Baht, then go get a license, Jim

Most mid to large cities in Thailand have private driving lesson shops. You can tell what the store front is by the stickers of various traffic signs. Some of these private driving lesson shops will drive the student (after several lessons) to an appropriate Department of Land Transportation Office. Some offices have a "reputation" for being easier on the test, other offices are more by the book. In 2005 I paid for my wife to have auto driving lessons and it was some of the best money I ever spent. No fighting, no danger for me, someone who speaks HER language taught her to drive properly. It was not 5000 baht, it was about half that price, but gasoline certainly has risen in price from 2005.

Another option worth considering is to go in person to your Honda Auto dealership. Not only does Honda offer a very low cost two day instruction class for motorbikes (including the actual tests done at the Honda distribution center which in our province has a proper classroom and decent driving course) that also includes a ride over and back to the Department of Land Transportation, it was mentioned by the Honda Safety instructors that they also would very soon offer AUTO driving lessons in our province. They currently offer these AUTO lessons in some locations, so it is worth you asking in person or calling the contact phone number for Honda.

http://www.honda.co.th/hct/english/company/social.asp

pc3.jpgSafe-driving Program

Members of "Honda Teen Club" and their friends, along with interested person over 15 years of age who participate in this program, will obtain both theoretical and practical knowledge about driving, the use of various equipment inside a Honda car as well as introductory car maintenance lessons. This program aims at preparing future generations of good drivers for Thailand.

http://www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety/

Thailand: Over 10 million participants

Motorcycle_safety-01.jpg

In 1989 A.P. Honda Co., Ltd. established a Safety Riding Centre in Thailand which offers a wide range pf rider training programmes. To date more than 10 million participants have benefited. In addition Honda promotes safety campaigns utilizing various media.www.aphonda.co.th/hondasafety

Thank you for your reply.

I should have explained that she will need a car licence with a manual Gear box.

The idea behind my wife doing a test with in a week is due to her been in the uk at the moment and we are planning on going to Thailand in the next 3 months and if she pass's then i will put her on my insurance when we return back to the uk.

In the case of the "private" driving lesson person in Buriram City, the customer is given a choice to learn on an older manual transmission pick up truck for one fee, or a slightly higher fee they can take on the road lessons in a slightly newer auto that had an automatic transmission. I had my wife take lessons in the manual transmission truck and it has served her well. Toyota might have a set schedule for lessons, the private parties that teach driving (they have a store front office that is obvious due to the traffic sign window logos) could perhaps work with your wife and a tight schedule. Obtaining a Thai drivers license once she has completed a driving course is possible in one day if she brings all the required paperwork to the Department of Land Transportation. Since you have time to plan for these lessons, it might be worthwhile to check with Honda Auto in your community. It would be simple for her relatives in Yasothon or Ubon to go around town in person to find one or two "driving lesson" places and get the phone number of the shop so your wife can phone them and get straight answers. They certainly know what type of transmission, they can help someone on a specific schedule and they can offer to take the client to the Department of Land Transportation on the day of the driving test. A few years ago my wife phoned the Buriram private driving instructor and the price was 2700 baht for a manual transmission or 3000 baht to learn in a car with an automatic transmission. Gasoline cost more than when that price quote was obtained.

if she passes [ and she will ] , make sure she gets a international driving license to take back aswell

Thank you for your Replies.

Just wondered if anyone else from the forum as taken the same approach to gain a drivers licence for their wife who is now living in the UK and have gone back to Thailand to learn to drive and to pass the test.

We are in Thailand for just under a month in Feb 2013 and i keep on telling the wife to get her family to start looking around yasothon because it may be the case of getting a weeks sessions booked early to make sure that it all happens.

Malc

I have no idea about Yasothon but in Ubon there are several private driving schools. Years ago we sent our maid to the vocational school opposite the Catholic cemetery at Tung Sri Muang. They run a driving school there. To pass the test I believe one has to have a manual geared car. I suggest you get hold of a copy of the Thai driving road code to study it up for the written test. Also a medical test is required before getting a driver's licence.