105 Tablet Computers Ready For Delivery

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

105 computers? Where did they get them from? Best Buy? The computers were obviously bought from a Mickey Mouse company.

Hello Kitty company would be closer.

Wait, that would be Japanese.

Wong <deleted> Hing Company ....... that's better.

Why does this situation remind me of 5 monkeys trying to fornicate a football?

Indeed. It's almost like a contest to see who can look the silliest by sneering the loudest from the most ignorant position.

It's one thing to be silly, quite another to advertise the fact. But I suppose it is an anonymous forum, so no great harm done to real reputations. Intriguing though...

Oh how I wish Thai people take heed of how they are being perceived from the outside and foreigners. To ignore it is ignoring self critique which is important for self improvement.

Any Thai with half a brain would recognise that the ignorant sneering that goes on in here doesn't reflect on them at all, but rather on the posters themselves.

The government certainly need to invest in education however this looks like a gimmick to make the individuals in government look good.

Having lived in Thailand 10 years I have on occasion been asked to help students with their English homework. What struck me was how poorly written the text books are. What chance do children have if the materiel they are working from is completely wrong?

The way I understand it, if a Thai teacher has a degree they can write their own text books!

These where students at expensive schools in Bangkok so I dread to think what the problem is like out in the provinces.

The Thai education system needs a national curriculum to develop some consistency not tablet computers.

English language study needs to come from a governing body not developed on a local level by teachers.

Cambridge press do excellent English programs aimed at international students. By all means Thai academics should get together and develop their own material but it must be on a national level and preferably proof read.

Tablets are simply a delivery mechanism. What interests me is what will be on them???

Since they are portable has the government considered if these can be taken to Pantip or similar and loaded with games?

Edited by Pui

Oh how I wish Thai people take heed of how they are being perceived from the outside and foreigners. To ignore it is ignoring self critique which is important for self improvement.

Any Thai with half a brain would recognise that the ignorant sneering that goes on in here doesn't reflect on them at all, but rather on the posters themselves.

So true. Many of the posters here takes such joy at mocking everything Thai I start to wonder if it's some kind of misdirected payback from the days they were mocked at school them selves for their own lacking abilities.

WB

A friend of mine is doing charity work with some schools in the south. Some of the schools do not have enough desks and chairs to go around, so the students take turns alternating between sitting on the floor and having a desk. Some do not have electricity. None has wifi.

Mark me as very confused regarding exactly how PT prioritised their education budget expenditures, and why this toy tablet project made it to the top of the list at huge expense.

Not having to repeat what's been said above, but if it takes 30 days to deliver 105 working units, how they plan to do 400 000 more in the same time frame of 30 days ?

3.5 tablets per day, must be a mum & pop operation assembling these things in thier kitchen.

• Like 1

Why I am I still surprised at this forum? 90% of the posts are kicks at Thailand or Thai people or how Thai people do things. Why do you people live there? Or have you somehow convinced yourself that your Thai wife or gf is "different from all the rest"?

Here's a review with a YouTube video.

http://www.androidau...-program-85612/

Don't forget that these are intended for first grade kids, at 2,500 Baht/shot could be a good investment. Even if, at the start, all they do is play around with photographs, listen to music and play games. These get the kids acquainted with technology and hopefully curious about what else they can do.

I personally think it is a positive move thumbsup.gif

Certainly more positive than all the negative BS posted on TV.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Don't forget that these are intended for first grade kids, at 2,500 Baht/shot could be a good investment. Even if, at the start, all they do is play around with photographs, listen to music and play games. These get the kids acquainted with technology and hopefully curious about what else they can do.

Thank you!! Someone with something positive to say! I agree ... Let's give this a chance to work instead of jumping on every initiative before it's even off the ground... Maybe we'll be surprised.

At least Thailand is providing some tools for the children. Where I am (in the U.S.) nobody even mentions providing such things. Our teachers complain that they have to use their own money to buy school supplies for the classrooms and are asking for a tax write off! There is much more wrong with our schools where I am (U.S.).

Not having to repeat what's been said above, but if it takes 30 days to deliver 105 working units, how they plan to do 400 000 more in the same time frame of 30 days ?

3.5 tablets per day, must be a mum & pop operation assembling these things in thier kitchen.

900,000 - 105 = 899,895 / 3.5 = 257,112 days / 365 = 704 years =

Allowing for some rounding off, they should be finishing up with tablet deliveries around March 13 in the year 2716.

I think it's a Tuesday.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Any poster with half a brain would recognise that the Thai people have been conned by their government and that their gullibility is a reflection of their education system as a whole.

• Like 1

Let's see... Thaksin's been back in command for over 11 months now. His troupe of nitwits have managed to come up with 105 working units. Hmmm... that's about 9 1/2 tablets per month. What a pathetic joke. If he can't even get a stupid frikk'n consumer electronics order together, then I doubt there'll be much progress in getting the country on it's feet and thriving as promised.

Thaksin's promises of tablets for every school child, that there will be no more poor in 6 months, an immediate 300 Baht a day minimum wage guarantee, etc... seems to be, like pretty much all of the campaign promises, nothing but verbal diarrhea. Please leap to defend your omnipotent "leader" you Thaksin lovers. When are you going to come out and admit it, he's a failure. Please list all of his fulfilled promises these past 11 months and more importantly, his accomplishments in making the country thrive and enriching peoples lives as promised.

Edited by yeeowww
  • Like 2

Any poster with half a brain would recognise that the Thai people have been conned by their government and that their gullibility is a reflection of their education system as a whole.

The very first line of the announcement itself is a prime example:

"The first few tablet computers.....IS ready for delivery."

This is most certainly the Office of BASIC Education Commission. Or if the announcement was in Thai as I expect, it's the Thai-to-Tinglish translation room of tv's favourite newspaper to blame. Again.

Why go so grand..It seems from my experience and apparently most people on this forum a simple issuance of a calculator would have been a great improvement of education and so cheap. Even get those solar powered for the schools without electricity or living in flood zones.

Thank you!! Someone with something positive to say! I agree ... Let's give this a chance to work instead of jumping on every initiative before it's even off the ground... Maybe we'll be surprised.

And if it fails will you come back and apologise to everyone?

And if it fails will you come back and apologise to everyone?

Sure, and if it succeeds I expect you to do the same.

Although we have to be careful about defining success and failure.

YS "So kiddies this is the on button and if you just point your finger here? errrr, hang on, this isn't the same as an ipad? anyone know how to use this thing? Ah, a manual, thank you. Umm? can anyone read Chinese!"

The operating system is Android. No issues with documentation.

If weaker batteries are not going to affect the efficiency of computers mainly intended for portability, the mind boggles at just what criteria the education ministry has set as its standard of efficiency. If batteries really are irrelevant, why did the government not go for the better - as far as children are concerned - and cheaper option of standard PCs?

First grade is the absolute last place to roll-out these devices. First grade is too young to receive your educational directions by writing, even writing in Thai. First grade is where you really get to the nuts and bolts of learning to read your native language. Third grade is where you should be able do assignments by reading the directions and following them. Unless they have some sort of look and touch non-literate interface, which I doubt, there is no tangible educational benefit to issuing tablets to first graders.

• Like 2