105 Tablet Computers Ready For Delivery

webfact

Here's a review with a YouTube video.

http://www.androidau...-program-85612/

Don't forget that these are intended for first grade kids, at 2,500 Baht/shot could be a good investment. Even if, at the start, all they do is play around with photographs, listen to music and play games. These get the kids acquainted with technology and hopefully curious about what else they can do.

I personally think it is a positive move thumbsup.gif

Certainly more positive than all the negative BS posted on TV.

Thank you!! Someone with something positive to say! I agree ... Let's give this a chance to work instead of jumping on every initiative before it's even off the ground... Maybe we'll be surprised.

And if it fails will you come back and apologise to everyone?

And how do they figure to get it to work in schools with no electricity.

Yes it will get kids familiar with the things. That will prove to be a big asset in later life when they are working in the rice fields provided the government haven't killed that off.

I still say teach them to think first then give them tools that they can use to help them.

As is they are giving them tools to think for them and they don't even know enough to think up what they should ask for help with.

Of course all that is based on pad's that will work. Can just see it now 30 kids 30 pads 3 pads don't work. Do you send the three kids home or stop using the other 27 until the 3 come back from some unknown repair center.

I am with billd766 on this yes they will some day get some into the schools but what happens when they don't work. Let's be realistic and use are brains instead of the pads to think this out.

Final price all in and that includes corruption money in the Thai and the Chinese government. 2,500 baht a unit. A unit like that won't last long. The second batch of 400,000 will include 115 to replace the first batch of 115.

• Like 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All BS!

As if the thai student needs tablets to increase the IQ...?????

First they need parents who care about their education and not grow up like a wild animal!

Then you need proper teachers....inclusive the farang loosers they sell as experts in Thailand!

Then you need to adapt international requirements....you can study what you want in Thailand and if you are lucky you would qualify as a cleaner in Germany!

Think global....

Yeah but it is better to give them tablets and free download for some idiotic games ....well done.

• Like 1

Not having to repeat what's been said above, but if it takes 30 days to deliver 105 working units, how they plan to do 400 000 more in the same time frame of 30 days ?

Let's see... Thaksin's been back in command for over 11 months now. His troupe of nitwits have managed to come up with 105 working units. Hmmm... that's about 9 1/2 tablets per month. What a pathetic joke. If he can't even get a stupid frikk'n consumer electronics order together, then I doubt there'll be much progress in getting the country on it's feet and thriving as promised.

Thaksin's promises of tablets for every school child, that there will be no more poor in 6 months, an immediate 300 Baht a day minimum wage guarantee, etc... seems to be, like pretty much all of the campaign promises, nothing but verbal diarrhea. Please leap to defend your omnipotent "leader" you Thaksin lovers. When are you going to come out and admit it, he's a failure. Please list all of his fulfilled promises these past 11 months and more importantly, his accomplishments in making the country thrive and enriching peoples lives as promised.

Not having to repeat what's been said above, but if it takes 30 days to deliver 105 working units, how they plan to do 400 000 more in the same time frame of 30 days ?

Let's see... Thaksin's been back in command for over 11 months now. His troupe of nitwits have managed to come up with 105 working units. Hmmm... that's about 9 1/2 tablets per month. What a pathetic joke. If he can't even get a stupid frikk'n consumer electronics order together, then I doubt there'll be much progress in getting the country on it's feet and thriving as promised.

Thaksin's promises of tablets for every school child, that there will be no more poor in 6 months, an immediate 300 Baht a day minimum wage guarantee, etc... seems to be, like pretty much all of the campaign promises, nothing but verbal diarrhea. Please leap to defend your omnipotent "leader" you Thaksin lovers. When are you going to come out and admit it, he's a failure. Please list all of his fulfilled promises these past 11 months and more importantly, his accomplishments in making the country thrive and enriching peoples lives as promised.

i will come out and admit anything you like the moment you learn how to read and explain to me how your repeated drivel relates to the post i made and post you quoted.

Don't forget that these are intended for first grade kids, at 2,500 Baht/shot could be a good investment. Even if, at the start, all they do is play around with photographs, listen to music and play games. These get the kids acquainted with technology and hopefully curious about what else they can do.

Thank you!! Someone with something positive to say! I agree ... Let's give this a chance to work instead of jumping on every initiative before it's even off the ground... Maybe we'll be surprised.

Sure, and if it succeeds I expect you to do the same.

Although we have to be careful about defining success and failure.

I wonder whether all those in favour of this scheme - the main advantage of which is that it lets the government pat itself on the back while claiming this represents educational progress - realise that it is nothing of the sort . . . especially at the age levels they are targeting. What this tablet policy is likely to achieve is a generation of kids who will learn very little, and retain even less. Who will expect the press of a button to be the answer to all of their problems; and who, when it turns out it isn't, will be well and truly snookered.

Technology has its place; but not at the expense of a good, basic education programme, where children have to make an effort to acquire knowledge that they will absorb, retain and be able to confidently draw on without referring to their iPads.

And all of this ignores the effect on young children's health, particularly that of their eyesight which, for many, will almost certainly see a deterioration over the long-term.

If - as it seems content to do - the government views the tablet computer programme as not just one of many means to a successful end but as an end in itself, it will have failed the children; it will have failed the parents; and ultimately . . . it will have failed the country.

i will come out and admit anything you like the moment you learn how to read and explain to me how your repeated drivel relates to the post i made and post you quoted.

I think you just caused a friendly fire incident.

• Like 1

3.5 tablets per day, must be a mum & pop operation assembling these things in thier kitchen.

900,000 - 105 = 899,895 / 3.5 = 257,112 days / 365 = 704 years =

Allowing for some rounding off, they should be finishing up with tablet deliveries around March 13 in the year 2716.

I think it's a Tuesday.

It's actually a Monday. How can I trust your figures now?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sure, and if it succeeds I expect you to do the same.

Although we have to be careful about defining success and failure.

There is no need to be careful about the definition. Success is delivery of 400 000 units by the 10th July, Failure is anything less.

I will be amazed if the 900,000 tablets are actually delivered 1 year from now.

It appears that many are concerned about these "toy" tablets and WiFi and electrical connections. True, but my concern is also what educational software will they be running. Maybe that isn't a real concern if they are given to first graders because most can't read. It isn't like there are "out the box" software packages ready to be installed for Thailand. Maybe those horrible singing Cd's that teach the Thai alphabet can be converted to Android and used on the toy tablets. There is almost no mention about the software development and how and when it gets installed. Perhaps that will be in the promises for the next election along with the needed replacements for the existing devices that generally have a 2-3 year usable live expectancy.

My guess is that (if they they ever actually receive the tablets) the device will enable every child that gets one (and can get WiFi access) to have a Facebook account. It will otherwise be nearly useless as an educational tool but it was a great vote getter with the gullible Thais.

Edited by morejunk

YS "So kiddies this is the on button and if you just point your finger here? errrr, hang on, this isn't the same as an ipad? anyone know how to use this thing? Ah, a manual, thank you. Umm? can anyone read Chinese!"

The operating system is Android. No issues with documentation.

Thanks, that's a positive start anyway.

How did the first 2000 units fail the checks when tpday they are delivering the first 105 units? I hope there is a maths program on the tablet as they need to recalculate the delivery schedule. I have just informed my daughter she is likely to get hers when she is 87. I have still never worked out why such a valuable project was not given to a Thai company.

I hope these tablets are coming with a nice sturdy case. My kids would have destroyed our ipad 10 times over already had it not been for the case. I guess the young school kids will never drop them though will they.

And they certainly won't sell them like they do their school books!

The tablet computers, like the high speed trains, are not relevant to the needs of the country and of the average Thai citizen.

These are simple propaganda measures that publicly demonstrate the lack of wisdom of the rulers. If the ruling elite would have any wisdom they would clearly see those actions as a cause for embarrassment instead of something to be proud of.

Edited by xavierr

Wow 105 ready now, thats probably enough for the entire countries children who are actually going to use their brain and most likely exit Thailand asap, the rest will just play games on them until a week later when they are broken never to be repaired.

Its rather sad that they cant even provide basic water for some of us down here in Pranburi at the moment as we have run out, still we can always eat the tablets for nourishment. I just hope the lorry delivering them doesnt go down one of the myriad of "well surfaced" roads here , one which was surfaced recently is already cracking and falling apart, good job lads lets hope the highest briber bidder got the job, sure looks that way.

Now who to vote for,,,,,,,,,, cant be sure if I like the man in white "officer and a gentleman outfit" with all the medals or the men in Orange who are just so "with it" Im sure both of course will sort out these slight problems , whats that??? one is giving away free somtam...................decision made, aint life simple.

Now wheres my rose tinted glasses.

before u ask i stay for my wife right!

• Like 1

200 did not pass the test. Seems there is a problem with the test. As soon as that is fixed deliveries will start.

Your'e too critical the test was simple " press the on switch"......................it failed

105 computers? Where did they get them from? Best Buy? The computers were obviously bought from a Mickey Mouse company.

Hello Kitty company would be closer.

Wait, that would be Japanese.

Wong <deleted> Hing Company ....... that's better.

Im sure there must be a "Kello Hitty" Thai version though??

Oh how I wish Thai people take heed of how they are being perceived from the outside and foreigners. To ignore it is ignoring self critique which is important for self improvement.

Any Thai with half a brain would recognise that the ignorant sneering that goes on in here doesn't reflect on them at all, but rather on the posters themselves.

Quite a few have half a brain

Yeah well I think having water would be much more sensible personally.

Is it me or is it every time I read an article about these tablets the numbers quoted seem to get smaller every time?

From 11,000,000 proclaimed to the 105 actual is a bit of a drop in numbers. blink.png

That even beats the drop of the 1,000,000 proclaimed to the 2,535 actual with the Thai Elite Card.

huh.png

Makes you wonder what the proclaimed redshirt rally turnout figures really are, not to mention the true tourist numbers.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

I've taught for over 6 years here. Public and private, rural and urban. I've taught in rich schools and poor schools kintergarten through Mattayom and there is one fundamental thing that they must do to improve their education system that nobody dares say. Double the number of schools and teachers ASAP and halve the class sizes. When you are hired as a native speaking teacher at a public school, as I once was, given 18 separate classes of 50 students each to teach conversational English for one hour per week and have no Thai teacher to even assist you in controlling the students, some of whom don't even understand basic classroom commands in English, there is one clear, but unspoken message. We really want to give the impression that we are teaching the kids English by having them exposed to a farang for an hour a week but we really couldn't care less if they actually learn anything. As a matter of fact, as far as the government's concerned it's probably better if only a few of them really learn English because otherwise the masses might start watching/reading news from non-Thai sources, reading something other than comic books, and possibly start getting really dangerous ideas into their heads about how well things are actually going in the land of smiles. Education here is not about academics, it's about indoctrination into 'don't rock the boat' group-think. Whatever academic learning does occur is only incidental and of the sort that does not lead to the questioning of authority. Lots of math, lots of calligraphy and drawing, lots of Thai traditional dance. All good and safe.

Yeah aint that the truth, but oh hang on, if you dont like it here..............blah blah.

I think we have enough water in Thailand, Bangkok was under it for a few months and it hasn't stopped raining here for two blasted weeks.

I've taught for over 6 years here. Public and private, rural and urban. I've taught in rich schools and poor schools kintergarten through Mattayom and there is one fundamental thing that they must do to improve their education system that nobody dares say. Double the number of schools and teachers ASAP and halve the class sizes. When you are hired as a native speaking teacher at a public school, as I once was, given 18 separate classes of 50 students each to teach conversational English for one hour per week and have no Thai teacher to even assist you in controlling the students, some of whom don't even understand basic classroom commands in English, there is one clear, but unspoken message. We really want to give the impression that we are teaching the kids English by having them exposed to a farang for an hour a week but we really couldn't care less if they actually learn anything. As a matter of fact, as far as the government's concerned it's probably better if only a few of them really learn English because otherwise the masses might start watching/reading news from non-Thai sources, reading something other than comic books, and possibly start getting really dangerous ideas into their heads about how well things are actually going in the land of smiles. Education here is not about academics, it's about indoctrination into 'don't rock the boat' group-think. Whatever academic learning does occur is only incidental and of the sort that does not lead to the questioning of authority. Lots of math, lots of calligraphy and drawing, lots of Thai traditional dance. All good and safe.

Yeah aint that the truth, but oh hang on, if you dont like it here..............blah blah.

If he didn't care about the kids here he wouldn't bother saying how things should be improved.

If he didn't care about the kids here he wouldn't bother saying how things should be improved.

It called being sarcastic

I think we have enough water in Thailand, Bangkok was under it for a few months and it hasn't stopped raining here for two blasted weeks.

Its rather sad that with all the money here they cant sort out the basics like providing water for their own citizens.

Why does this situation remind me of 5 monkeys trying to fornicate a football?

I'm still considering that bedouin has actually seen 5 monkeys trying to fornicate a football... I've led such a sheltered life. ermm.gif

My 10 year old daughter already has a tablet, it's a Samsung. Really it's mine, but she found the angry birds ap and so I've not seen the blessed thing for about 3 months now. Since I came back to work she's also started burning up the Skype calling me at work in Kazakhstan. Using it does help stir the old curiousity, so I'd say that it's a useful instrument, but nothing to do with fulfilling a childs basic eduction.

Edited by Narratio
  • Like 1

Today, Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap reiterated his confidence that ShenZhen will be able to produce 25,000 tablet computers per day and that there will be no delay in receiving 400,000 of these tablets by next month.

Edited by Buchholz

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will be at hand to provide tutorials.

There will no doubt be a prime photo-op of her turning one on in front of the children for the benefit of the media.

9451.jpg

Naewna Newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.naewna.com/politic/9451

7c6bahhba6bff5cbj5ga8.jpg

Kom Chad Luek Newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.komchadluek.net/detail/20120607/132222/%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AF%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%81%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%9B.1.html

Edited by Buchholz

Oh how I wish Thai people take heed of how they are being perceived from the outside and foreigners. To ignore it is ignoring self critique which is important for self improvement.

Any Thai with half a brain would recognise that the ignorant sneering that goes on in here doesn't reflect on them at all, but rather on the posters themselves.

So true. Many of the posters here takes such joy at mocking everything Thai I start to wonder if it's some kind of misdirected payback from the days they were mocked at school them selves for their own lacking abilities.

WB

I think the joy taken is at mocking everything Pheua Thai more than at everything Thai. Yingluck, her brother, and those who support them are the real joke here. They absolutely cry out for ridicule with this kind of ill concieved policy. I, for one, have great respect for many things Thai but the PTP are an embarrassment to the entire country, much like George Bush was to the US, or Silvio Berlusconi was to Italy.

• Like 1

Quite a few have half a brain

I ring the bell and, sure enough, up jumps Pavlov's dog, as expected, with the perfect demonstration of my whole contention in regards to threads like these.

Thank you, sir. Step up here and accept your Masters Degree in Ignorant Sneering. Congratulations!

I have, of course, used the general term here. But, let's face it, ignorant sneering based on ethnicity or national identity is racism, pure and simple, and you guys are wallowing in it.

Rather sad, really...

• Like 1