105 Tablet Computers Ready For Delivery

webfact

Funny how Yingluck has the time to go and hand out tablets but not the time to go read one of the most urgent (according to PTP) bill or attend Parliament.

They probably don't want her in parliament because she can't contribute anything and truthfully say she didn't know about anything that goes on in the government

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does this situation remind me of 5 monkeys trying to fornicate a football?

Indeed. It's almost like a contest to see who can look the silliest by sneering the loudest from the most ignorant position.

It's one thing to be silly, quite another to advertise the fact. But I suppose it is an anonymous forum, so no great harm done to real reputations. Intriguing though...

Abe Lincoln once said "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I believe the Thai government should heed this advice when announcing things like "Boy o boy we have 105 tablets. Let's see if they work."

I've taught for over 6 years here. Public and private, rural and urban. I've taught in rich schools and poor schools kintergarten through Mattayom and there is one fundamental thing that they must do to improve their education system that nobody dares say. Double the number of schools and teachers ASAP and halve the class sizes. When you are hired as a native speaking teacher at a public school, as I once was, given 18 separate classes of 50 students each to teach conversational English for one hour per week and have no Thai teacher to even assist you in controlling the students, some of whom don't even understand basic classroom commands in English, there is one clear, but unspoken message. We really want to give the impression that we are teaching the kids English by having them exposed to a farang for an hour a week but we really couldn't care less if they actually learn anything. As a matter of fact, as far as the government's concerned it's probably better if only a few of them really learn English because otherwise the masses might start watching/reading news from non-Thai sources, reading something other than comic books, and possibly start getting really dangerous ideas into their heads about how well things are actually going in the land of smiles. Education here is not about academics, it's about indoctrination into 'don't rock the boat' group-think. Whatever academic learning does occur is only incidental and of the sort that does not lead to the questioning of authority. Lots of math, lots of calligraphy and drawing, lots of Thai traditional dance. All good and safe.

Yeah aint that the truth, but oh hang on, if you dont like it here..............blah blah.

If he didn't care about the kids here he wouldn't bother saying how things should be improved.

It called being sarcastic

I guess I've been in Thailand too long!

As to the tablets surely it's a worry that after promising a tablet for every child they are now pushing the boat out because they've managed, finally, to get hold of 105 that actually work.

Edited by bigbamboo

Oh how I wish Thai people take heed of how they are being perceived from the outside and foreigners. To ignore it is ignoring self critique which is important for self improvement.

Any Thai with half a brain would recognise that the ignorant sneering that goes on in here doesn't reflect on them at all, but rather on the posters themselves.

Quite a few have half a brain

I ring the bell and, sure enough, up jumps Pavlov's dog, as expected, with the perfect demonstration of my whole contention in regards to threads like these.

Thank you, sir. Step up here and accept your Masters Degree in Ignorant Sneering. Congratulations!

I have, of course, used the general term here. But, let's face it, ignorant sneering based on ethnicity or national identity is racism, pure and simple, and you guys are wallowing in it.

Rather sad, really...

no face reality u dreamer

Funny how Yingluck has the time to go and hand out tablets but not the time to go read one of the most urgent (according to PTP) bill or attend Parliament.

I'm out of the country now.... news is slack and slow ay my location. Maybe parliament is closed (???) due to PAD blocking it?

I'm out of the country now.... news is slack and slow ay my location. Maybe parliament is closed (???) due to PAD blocking it?

Nope. Reds were blocking it this morning :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Today, Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap reiterated his confidence that ShenZhen will be able to produce 25,000 tablet computers per day and that there will be no delay in receiving 400,000 of these tablets by next month.

Now before the Technology Minister opened his mouth he should have done a little due diligence. 25 000 tablets a day is 1042 an hour which is about 17 a minute or one every 3 and a bit seconds. Now that seems to me like the kind of manufacturing speed that Apple or Sony would be proud of. That is also 24/7. Anyone who has worked in any industry with manufacturing lines also knows that there will always be down time of machinery and systems due to maintenance or failure, or even lack of parts and resources. Its ok a manufacturer claiming to turn out 3 items a second, but what of the suppliers of the offal waffle gromit valves, critical to the completion of each product. Can they all manage 3 items a second? I am sorry to doubt the Minister but I think the numbers are a load of tosh, and had he thought about the numbers for a few seconds, he would think the same.

I've taught for over 6 years here. Public and private, rural and urban. I've taught in rich schools and poor schools kintergarten through Mattayom and there is one fundamental thing that they must do to improve their education system that nobody dares say. Double the number of schools and teachers ASAP and halve the class sizes. When you are hired as a native speaking teacher at a public school, as I once was, given 18 separate classes of 50 students each to teach conversational English for one hour per week and have no Thai teacher to even assist you in controlling the students, some of whom don't even understand basic classroom commands in English, there is one clear, but unspoken message. We really want to give the impression that we are teaching the kids English by having them exposed to a farang for an hour a week but we really couldn't care less if they actually learn anything. As a matter of fact, as far as the government's concerned it's probably better if only a few of them really learn English because otherwise the masses might start watching/reading news from non-Thai sources, reading something other than comic books, and possibly start getting really dangerous ideas into their heads about how well things are actually going in the land of smiles. Education here is not about academics, it's about indoctrination into 'don't rock the boat' group-think. Whatever academic learning does occur is only incidental and of the sort that does not lead to the questioning of authority. Lots of math, lots of calligraphy and drawing, lots of Thai traditional dance. All good and safe.

Good post. What do you believe that we parents should focus on in terms of supplementing our kids education to at least put them on the right track towards an ability to critically think etc. I have ideas but at the end of the day I am not a teacher and have no experience in the child teaching/developing arena as far as academic education goes.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

First grade is the absolute last place to roll-out these devices. First grade is too young to receive your educational directions by writing, even writing in Thai. First grade is where you really get to the nuts and bolts of learning to read your native language. Third grade is where you should be able do assignments by reading the directions and following them. Unless they have some sort of look and touch non-literate interface, which I doubt, there is no tangible educational benefit to issuing tablets to first graders.

You're obviously not a qualified teacher.......not from your home country anyway.

First grade is the absolute last place to roll-out these devices. First grade is too young to receive your educational directions by writing, even writing in Thai. First grade is where you really get to the nuts and bolts of learning to read your native language. Third grade is where you should be able do assignments by reading the directions and following them. Unless they have some sort of look and touch non-literate interface, which I doubt, there is no tangible educational benefit to issuing tablets to first graders.

You're obviously not a qualified teacher.......not from your home country anyway.

And you are?

Any home country (US/UK) Qualified teachers would not be working in the Thai government school system were wages start from 25,000b for NES teachers. They will be working in the private schools or international schools.

Are you a government school teacher?

if not shut up:p

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

Here's a review with a YouTube video.

http://www.androidau...-program-85612/

Don't forget that these are intended for first grade kids, at 2,500 Baht/shot could be a good investment. Even if, at the start, all they do is play around with photographs, listen to music and play games. These get the kids acquainted with technology and hopefully curious about what else they can do.

I personally think it is a positive move thumbsup.gif

Certainly more positive than all the negative BS posted on TV.

Thank you!! Someone with something positive to say! I agree ... Let's give this a chance to work instead of jumping on every initiative before it's even off the ground... Maybe we'll be surprised.

Maybe not....

Very well written and succint. Great answer and post. keep em coming... wai.gif

I guess the only relation the baby buffaloes have with the 105 tablet PCs handed out by the knowledgeblesmiling PM is the comparison with mature buffaloes c.q. real tablet PCs.

With the vague info, is there a (correct) specification of the tablets handed out, and if so how does it compare to what was specified in the contract no-one has seen, or in the test-report on the 2000 units delivered two weeks ago? Assuming an approval has been given to the Chinese company, who did so, MoI or MoE? Furthermore when did they do so?

Well, at least as indicated on the 24th of May, roll-out started on the 7th of June, if only with 105 out of 400,000 (800,000, 900,000?) to go. The PM was smiling nicely as ever, that does help tremendously

Oh how I wish Thai people take heed of how they are being perceived from the outside and foreigners. To ignore it is ignoring self critique which is important for self improvement.

Any Thai with half a brain would recognise that the ignorant sneering that goes on in here doesn't reflect on them at all, but rather on the posters themselves.

Quite a few have half a brain

I ring the bell and, sure enough, up jumps Pavlov's dog, as expected, with the perfect demonstration of my whole contention in regards to threads like these.

Thank you, sir. Step up here and accept your Masters Degree in Ignorant Sneering. Congratulations!

I have, of course, used the general term here. But, let's face it, ignorant sneering based on ethnicity or national identity is racism, pure and simple, and you guys are wallowing in it.

Rather sad, really...

So now you're stereo typing that all farangs on TVF are only good at ignorant sneering? Really quick on this and I'll get back on topic. It doesn't matter what race you are, I honestly believe it's important to take into consideration other people's perception of you and not doing so makes you a stubborn, egocentric individual. For example, Thais got all up-in-arms about Lady Gaga's tweet about purchasing a fake Rolex. Well duh! Why do you think she said that? Applying to Thai people who believe that farangs 'do not understand', it is actually the Thai people who do not understand that taking a third person perspective can be valuable at times.

There are a lot of good logical reasons as to why this policy is most likely to fail and a waste of tax payer's money. Sure there are arguments as to why it may also be successful but there are so many criteria to which it must adhere to ie: durability, WiFi, electricity, battery life, content etc, If you were to see fault in any ONE of those the ship will start to sink and it's highly plausible that there will be. We still haven't even included the problems that the students themselves might contribute to such as each individual student's ability to be responsible. If you ask a local to list the pros and cons along with the problems that the tablets themselves might have, you'll probably find the list very short. I'll admit that certain problems skipped by me such as: What if 3 out of 30 student's tablet breaks, does the class continue or do the 3 students sit out until it can be replaced? Can you imagine the emotions of those 3 students who are in 1st grade?

• Like 1

There are a lot of good logical reasons as to why this policy is most likely to fail and a waste of tax payer's money. Sure there are arguments as to why it may also be successful but there are so many criteria to which it must adhere to ie: durability, WiFi, electricity, battery life, content etc, If you were to see fault in any ONE of those the ship will start to sink and it's highly plausible that there will be. We still haven't even included the problems that the students themselves might contribute to such as each individual student's ability to be responsible. If you ask a local to list the pros and cons along with the problems that the tablets themselves might have, you'll probably find the list very short. I'll admit that certain problems skipped by me such as: What if 3 out of 30 student's tablet breaks, does the class continue or do the 3 students sit out until it can be replaced? Can you imagine the emotions of those 3 students who are in 1st grade?

Excellant post and raised issues I had not considered myself, most notably the '3 in 30' angle. I can see some very unhappy kids if their tablet breaks and is not repaired.

My own view is that books are a better learning material than computers in every single way, for learning, for discipline, for cost, for durability and for enjoyment. Computers should come later in life or at least only be used as a referencing tool in the library. To me computers are a luxury, like cars, you earn money and buy one when you are older. Like cars, computers are expensive and they break down and are not always the best way to learn about the country you are in.

I went through English state education in the 1970s and early 1980s, and did all my studies upto and including Degree using only books paper and pens. In the mid 80's we had one computer at college, a BBC microcomputer, with five hundred kids fighting to use it. At University we had a few more slow computers, but no google and glitchy slow net. All research was done by cross-referencing books in the library and writing out by hand all the quotes and references from the books you wished to use. It was very slow and you learned a lot because you had to write out the words one at a time which took all day and half the night, you picked up details and made your analysis as you sat writing it out. As opposed to computers where you can cut-paste a big mass of text from Google and then go play 'Angry birds' for three hours.

I spent literally most of my time from the 70s to the 90s in libraries, and I still think of those as the happiest days of my life because I realised the devotion required to write those books I was studying, the care and attention of the people who had made those books for me to read, and the dutiful library staff who worked for low pay to keep the wonderful books available. Also reading books is very focusing, teaches you to respect silence and other people's space etc.

I have often said on other forums that good quality books are always the best and even only learning source a child needs, and imho the best source a higher student needs, as books require a lot more involvement by the student, to read and analyse and correlate, rather than just cut-paste.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

Why are so many concerned about the red shirts' promises?

Here's a "top secret" photo of one of the 105 prototypes, powered by solar energy, even good enough to cook food.

Please guys just use your imagination: You sit on a Chinese high speed train without brakes doing 300 km/h, while cooking food on your tablet cooker.

Wireless signals all around you, but nobody knows where. Yingluck and her older brother are smart a.se.s........wink.png

post-108180-0-16372400-1339113125_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

Nice photo op. But I wonder how desperate Yingluck and the students playing with tablets would have looked in a provincial school room with dirt floors, 20 desks for 50 students, no electricity for recharging the tablets and the nearest wifi being 25 km away?

What exactly is the Government's priority here?

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will be at hand to provide tutorials.

There will no doubt be a prime photo-op of her turning one on in front of the children for the benefit of the media.

9451.jpg

Naewna Newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.naewna.com/politic/9451

7c6bahhba6bff5cbj5ga8.jpg

Kom Chad Luek Newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.komchadlu...¹‡à¸•à¸›.1.html

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will be at hand to provide tutorials.

There will no doubt be a prime photo-op of her turning one on in front of the children for the benefit of the media.

9451.jpg

Naewna Newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.naewna.com/politic/9451

7c6bahhba6bff5cbj5ga8.jpg

Kom Chad Luek Newspaper (article in Thai)

http://www.komchadlu...›.1.html

Nice photo op. But I wonder how desperate Yingluck and the students playing with tablets would have looked in a provincial school room with dirt floors, 20 desks for 50 students, no electricity for recharging the tablets and the nearest wifi being 25 km away?

What exactly is the Government's priority here?

It's not hill tribe schools.

yingluckclassroom.png

Well, this is one way to win the hearts of children. Even the ones wearing Red.

Until they get educated and learn how they were deceived by this nice smiling lady.

Wait a minute, what if they never get educated and never learn how they were deceived. That sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

Most people outside of Thailand have little knowledge or interest of what is going on in Thailand. It's an inconsequential country for most other civilised nations. My mother said she didn't even realise the extent of last years flooding; so little was in the press in Australia of this event, apart from embassy warnings for tourists.

PM presides over ceremony to distribute tablet computers to students; initially giving 2,000 PCs, target distribution to students nationwide by 2013 /MCOT

PC's are a hell of a lot better investment then mobile devices when it comes to primary school kids in my humble opinion...

Most people outside of Thailand have little knowledge or interest of what is going on in Thailand. It's an inconsequential country for most other civilised nations. My mother said she didn't even realise the extent of last years flooding; so little was in the press in Australia of this event, apart from embassy warnings for tourists.

PM presides over ceremony to distribute tablet computers to students; initially giving 2,000 PCs, target distribution to students nationwide by 2013 /MCOT

PC's are a hell of a lot better investment then mobile devices when it comes to primary school kids in my humble opinion...

I think most people would agree, but PC's don't have the Bling Factor required to win votes.