105 Tablet Computers Ready For Delivery

webfact

She looks so happy in that first photo, like she has finally found the level of debate she can be part of.

She lost though in the test quiz. A sample question was tried out on the tablets with multiple answers supplied.

The question was: Which of these pictures is the flag of Thailand?

Four of the students in the photo got it right.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As tablets are more modern than PC's they are wrongly assumed by the pride-swollen nitwits in PTP to be a greater sign of progress, and politicians being able to hand them out to joyful kids is therefor a greater source of national pride than distributing boring old PC's would be.

Its all so bloody stupid, theres nothing wrong with books at all and with all the money PTP squander in their macabre leadership, each and every school could have new books, infrastructure repairs and a communal PC or two for referencing and downloading.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla

Today, Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap reiterated his confidence that ShenZhen will be able to produce 25,000 tablet computers per day and that there will be no delay in receiving 400,000 of these tablets by next month.

Now before the Technology Minister opened his mouth he should have done a little due diligence. 25 000 tablets a day is 1042 an hour which is about 17 a minute or one every 3 and a bit seconds. Now that seems to me like the kind of manufacturing speed that Apple or Sony would be proud of. That is also 24/7. Anyone who has worked in any industry with manufacturing lines also knows that there will always be down time of machinery and systems due to maintenance or failure, or even lack of parts and resources. Its ok a manufacturer claiming to turn out 3 items a second, but what of the suppliers of the offal waffle gromit valves, critical to the completion of each product. Can they all manage 3 items a second? I am sorry to doubt the Minister but I think the numbers are a load of tosh, and had he thought about the numbers for a few seconds, he would think the same.

You may very well be right that they will not be able to produce 400,000 tablets in a month, but given they have a capacity of producing 25,000 per day, they would need 16 days to produce them. So they have 14 days to sort out any downtime. Sounds like they have ample slack... Then again, delays are likely, but that is rather the rule than the exception all over the world, not only in Thailand or China...

WB

Today, Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap reiterated his confidence that ShenZhen will be able to produce 25,000 tablet computers per day and that there will be no delay in receiving 400,000 of these tablets by next month.

Now before the Technology Minister opened his mouth he should have done a little due diligence. 25 000 tablets a day is 1042 an hour which is about 17 a minute or one every 3 and a bit seconds. Now that seems to me like the kind of manufacturing speed that Apple or Sony would be proud of. That is also 24/7. Anyone who has worked in any industry with manufacturing lines also knows that there will always be down time of machinery and systems due to maintenance or failure, or even lack of parts and resources. Its ok a manufacturer claiming to turn out 3 items a second, but what of the suppliers of the offal waffle gromit valves, critical to the completion of each product. Can they all manage 3 items a second? I am sorry to doubt the Minister but I think the numbers are a load of tosh, and had he thought about the numbers for a few seconds, he would think the same.

You may very well be right that they will not be able to produce 400,000 tablets in a month, but given they have a capacity of producing 25,000 per day, they would need 16 days to produce them. So they have 14 days to sort out any downtime. Sounds like they have ample slack... Then again, delays are likely, but that is rather the rule than the exception all over the world, not only in Thailand or China...

WB

"Employs more than 1500 people, including a professional R & D team of 60 people, with numbers of patented technologies. Now we have 7 product lines, and aging assembly lines, silk-screen device and painting workshop, annual production capacity is more than 5 million units. And 10 new product lines are building, estimated annual production capacity can reach 10 million units."

This is directly taken from Shenzen Scopes website.

25thou a day on one product. :blink:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

PM presides over ceremony to distribute tablet computers to students; initially giving 2,000 PCs, target distribution to students nationwide by 2013 /MCOT

I've read this line more than a couple of times now, what does it actually mean?

The head line says 105 tablets handed out from the original delivery of 2,000. As 1,895 failed the 'quality test' ..... is this inferring that the quality test was lowered so they then passed and were handed out as well.

Or were they not handed out and just trying to make it look like they were.

Or are they saying that the target is now 2,000 tablets by the end of the year.

I have yet to being even half convinced that tablets will provide any benefit. All the resources made available to my teachers were a blackboard and chalk and they seemed to manage. I've heard stories that Abe Lincoln learned to read and write using a shovel blackened by soot from the domestic fire. My 12 year old niece can calculate percentages without the use of pen and paper, handles simultaneous algebraic equations without difficulty and will be starting on trigonometry in a fortnight's time. Her calculator stays unused and her younger siblings are beginning to rely on that electronic aid less frequently. I am not a qualified teacher just a committed relative, albeit an alien one.

I concede that access to the Internet is highly desirable around the age of 15 when teachers can give out projects that need research, and written papers produced. Asking for the moon?

Not to worry folks, the initial batch did not meet specifications .... so we modified the Tea Money, err ahh I mean the specifications. Now the specifications indicate that the tablets will be made WITHOUT batteries. PTP will provide 50 extension cords to every classroom and the students will be tethered to extension cords. Problem solved! Between the delivery of 2000 and 400,000 the Tea Money may be adjusted again and again and again.

Teacher "Which version of the tablet do you have?"

Student "I have version 907"

Teacher "Oh in that case, you need to use this flash light to illuminate the screen."

Student "Oh cool!"

• Like 1

I've taught for over 6 years here. Public and private, rural and urban. I've taught in rich schools and poor schools kintergarten through Mattayom and there is one fundamental thing that they must do to improve their education system that nobody dares say. Double the number of schools and teachers ASAP and halve the class sizes. When you are hired as a native speaking teacher at a public school, as I once was, given 18 separate classes of 50 students each to teach conversational English for one hour per week and have no Thai teacher to even assist you in controlling the students, some of whom don't even understand basic classroom commands in English, there is one clear, but unspoken message. We really want to give the impression that we are teaching the kids English by having them exposed to a farang for an hour a week but we really couldn't care less if they actually learn anything. As a matter of fact, as far as the government's concerned it's probably better if only a few of them really learn English because otherwise the masses might start watching/reading news from non-Thai sources, reading something other than comic books, and possibly start getting really dangerous ideas into their heads about how well things are actually going in the land of smiles. Education here is not about academics, it's about indoctrination into 'don't rock the boat' group-think. Whatever academic learning does occur is only incidental and of the sort that does not lead to the questioning of authority. Lots of math, lots of calligraphy and drawing, lots of Thai traditional dance. All good and safe.

Good post. What do you believe that we parents should focus on in terms of supplementing our kids education to at least put them on the right track towards an ability to critically think etc. I have ideas but at the end of the day I am not a teacher and have no experience in the child teaching/developing arena as far as academic education goes.

First, the children should be told by a Thai adult whom they understand perfectly and respect, that English is not just another subject in school. It is something that will change their whole life no matter what they do. They should be told that every chance they get to learn English, they should try very very hard to pay attention to the teacher and write notes about what is being said. Show them examples of doctors, airline pilots, astronauts (things young kids dream about being 'some day') and tell them that they must learn English to do those jobs. Make sure that from third grade onward, they have an appropriate beginner's Thai -English dictionary and know how to use it. As they progress, get them higher level dictionaries and encourage looking words up as a habit. I am amazed at how many elementary school children have decent mobile phones but don't have a 100-baht dictionary. Find books that are appropriate for their level of English and read to your children as soon as they are old enough to sit still for it, Meet their teachers and see if you think they are capable of doing the job. Look at their English books and see both how they are answering written questions and how their teacher is marking their answers. Poor English teachers often mark completely incorrect answers as correct because they may not know the correct answer themselves or they can't be bothered with thoroughly marking and correcting student's answers. Even 1 hour a week in a large group can help a student who wishes to improve to do so. The old saw "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink." is a good one when it comes to teachers keeping their sanity. The student is going to have to draw the knowledge out of the in instructor as much as possible. I've met some real tossers working as teachers but don't paint us with a broad brush. Most farang teachers I know, really do want to help and will always give help when asked. There's just not enough of us with enough time in class to force-feed a student who is opposed to learning.

• Like 1

First grade is the absolute last place to roll-out these devices. First grade is too young to receive your educational directions by writing, even writing in Thai. First grade is where you really get to the nuts and bolts of learning to read your native language. Third grade is where you should be able do assignments by reading the directions and following them. Unless they have some sort of look and touch non-literate interface, which I doubt, there is no tangible educational benefit to issuing tablets to first graders.

You're obviously not a qualified teacher.......not from your home country anyway.

And you are?

Any home country (US/UK) Qualified teachers would not be working in the Thai government school system were wages start from 25,000b for NES teachers. They will be working in the private schools or international schools.

Are you a government school teacher?

if not shut up:p

I am an American who lives in Korat. I hold triple bachelor's degrees in biology, chemistry and military science. I also have a Master's degree as well. In English teaching, I hold a Cambridge CELTA level 4 certification and a TEFL 'Young Learners' certificate. I have a Trinity College (London) diploma in TESOL, level 7 (highest level you can get) , and am currently completing my PhD. I also own 2 very successful private language schools. I think I AM qualified to comment on the state of the current Thai Educational system rather well. First grade students are not ready for tablet computer education. if you think "shut up" is a valid rational reason to contradict me on this point than you might well be qualified to be an "education Commentator" on FOX news. I work in the government schools because I enjoy teaching and actually make every bit as much as I could in a private school without much of the admin BS. I'd love to teach in an international school but as of yet, there is not one in my hometown. I don't need the money, I really teach because i love to teach. I actually earn 4k more per month than I would if I taught in a local university and my school is only 7 minutes from my home, as opposed to 40 for the uni., and I teach 6th grade. There is not a lot of chance to force a change on the students but there's a heck of a lot more chance to encourage and help 12 year olds than 20-somethings!

Edited by majhiggins

Sorry. i might have just inadvertently slammed somebody who was trying to come to my aid. Apologies if that was the case. It's hard sometimes to tell who is the troll and who is the good-guy on these posts.

First grade is the absolute last place to roll-out these devices. First grade is too young to receive your educational directions by writing, even writing in Thai. First grade is where you really get to the nuts and bolts of learning to read your native language. Third grade is where you should be able do assignments by reading the directions and following them. Unless they have some sort of look and touch non-literate interface, which I doubt, there is no tangible educational benefit to issuing tablets to first graders.
You're obviously not a qualified teacher.......not from your home country anyway.
And you are? Any home country (US/UK) Qualified teachers would not be working in the Thai government school system were wages start from 25,000b for NES teachers. They will be working in the private schools or international schools. Are you a government school teacher? if not shut up:p sent from my Wellcom A90+
I am an American who lives in Korat. I hold triple bachelor's degrees in biology, chemistry and military science. I also have a Master's degree as well. In English teaching, I hold a Cambridge CELTA level 4 certification and a TEFL 'Young Learners' certificate. I have a Trinity College (London) diploma in TESOL, level 7 (highest level you can get) , and am currently completing my PhD. I also own 2 very successful private language schools. I think I AM qualified to comment on the state of the current Thai Educational system rather well. First grade students are not ready for tablet computer education. if you think "shut up" is a valid rational reason to contradict me on this point than you might well be qualified to be an "education Commentator" on FOX news. I work in the government schools because I enjoy teaching and actually make every bit as much as I could in a private school without much of the admin BS. I'd love to teach in an international school but as of yet, there is not one in my hometown. I don't need the money, I really teach because i love to teach. I actually earn 4k more per month than I would if I taught in a local university and my school is only 7 minutes from my home, as opposed to 40 for the uni., and I teach 6th grade. There is not a lot of chance to force a change on the students but there's a heck of a lot more chance to encourage and help 12 year olds than 20-somethings!
  • Like 1

I've taught for over 6 years here. Public and private, rural and urban. I've taught in rich schools and poor schools kintergarten through Mattayom and there is one fundamental thing that they must do to improve their education system that nobody dares say. Double the number of schools and teachers ASAP and halve the class sizes. When you are hired as a native speaking teacher at a public school, as I once was, given 18 separate classes of 50 students each to teach conversational English for one hour per week and have no Thai teacher to even assist you in controlling the students, some of whom don't even understand basic classroom commands in English, there is one clear, but unspoken message. We really want to give the impression that we are teaching the kids English by having them exposed to a farang for an hour a week but we really couldn't care less if they actually learn anything. As a matter of fact, as far as the government's concerned it's probably better if only a few of them really learn English because otherwise the masses might start watching/reading news from non-Thai sources, reading something other than comic books, and possibly start getting really dangerous ideas into their heads about how well things are actually going in the land of smiles. Education here is not about academics, it's about indoctrination into 'don't rock the boat' group-think. Whatever academic learning does occur is only incidental and of the sort that does not lead to the questioning of authority. Lots of math, lots of calligraphy and drawing, lots of Thai traditional dance. All good and safe.

Good post. What do you believe that we parents should focus on in terms of supplementing our kids education to at least put them on the right track towards an ability to critically think etc. I have ideas but at the end of the day I am not a teacher and have no experience in the child teaching/developing arena as far as academic education goes.

First, the children should be told by a Thai adult whom they understand perfectly and respect, that English is not just another subject in school. It is something that will change their whole life no matter what they do. They should be told that every chance they get to learn English, they should try very very hard to pay attention to the teacher and write notes about what is being said. Show them examples of doctors, airline pilots, astronauts (things young kids dream about being 'some day') and tell them that they must learn English to do those jobs. Make sure that from third grade onward, they have an appropriate beginner's Thai -English dictionary and know how to use it. As they progress, get them higher level dictionaries and encourage looking words up as a habit. I am amazed at how many elementary school children have decent mobile phones but don't have a 100-baht dictionary. Find books that are appropriate for their level of English and read to your children as soon as they are old enough to sit still for it, Meet their teachers and see if you think they are capable of doing the job. Look at their English books and see both how they are answering written questions and how their teacher is marking their answers. Poor English teachers often mark completely incorrect answers as correct because they may not know the correct answer themselves or they can't be bothered with thoroughly marking and correcting student's answers. Even 1 hour a week in a large group can help a student who wishes to improve to do so. The old saw "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink." is a good one when it comes to teachers keeping their sanity. The student is going to have to draw the knowledge out of the in instructor as much as possible. I've met some real tossers working as teachers but don't paint us with a broad brush. Most farang teachers I know, really do want to help and will always give help when asked. There's just not enough of us with enough time in class to force-feed a student who is opposed to learning.

I am sorry but at least six schools in six years and you have all the answers. How about do they really need English to plant rice.

Yes there will always be the need for a English speaking Thai some where also a Chinese speaking Thai some where but why teach all of Thailand a language that only about 5% will ever need. Get out of the tourist areas and there is places with huge populations that don't need or want another language. Make English available to those who want it. This will give the other students time to learn to study. Make it a study hall for them. It will also cut the size of the class down to a manageable size for teaching English. I live in a tourist area and get along quite nicely with the Thai's who can not speak English. Most of them rely on a adding machine to not only figure the price out but as a way of telling me the cost. I have a beginning of mispronouncing the language and it gets me by. I can mispronounce hello good by how are you I am not OK I am OK and I can count given a little time and I can say thank you. And a few other words. These people do not need 12 years of studying English they get along fine.

Anyone wants to put some dosh on >=50% of the 400,000 will meet the original specifications?

How about < 50% of the 400 000 will be delivered by the deadline in 30 days.

The first lot of devices will be delivered 60 days after the contract was signed on May 10, followed by 600,000 units 30 days later. There are some 183 education offices across the country.

A source said the first lot had been restricted to 400,000 units, because the first 2,000 units delivered to the Education Ministry did not pass the specifications.

However, the source said weaker batteries should not affect the tablets' efficiency and the 2,000 should not fail the overall test. "Once the first 2,000 units pass the tests, production of the 400,000 units would begin," he added.

I believe these statements will be what determines distribution happens well past the 30 day window.

I am sorry but at least six schools in six years and you have all the answers. How about do they really need English to plant rice.

Yes there will always be the need for a English speaking Thai some where also a Chinese speaking Thai some where but why teach all of Thailand a language that only about 5% will ever need. Get out of the tourist areas and there is places with huge populations that don't need or want another language. Make English available to those who want it. This will give the other students time to learn to study. Make it a study hall for them. It will also cut the size of the class down to a manageable size for teaching English. I live in a tourist area and get along quite nicely with the Thai's who can not speak English. Most of them rely on a adding machine to not only figure the price out but as a way of telling me the cost. I have a beginning of mispronouncing the language and it gets me by. I can mispronounce hello good by how are you I am not OK I am OK and I can count given a little time and I can say thank you. And a few other words. These people do not need 12 years of studying English they get along fine.

Are you a teacher Hellodolly?

Majhiggins. I got a bit steamed when I read the 1st post but then I scrolled down to the next to see. No problem :D

I am not as qualified as you BUT I have worked in government schools and currently work in a private school (under the MOE)

And I also think that the tablets for 1st grade Thai students is a mistake. If you consider that there are at least 40 student's per class and the tabs cost $82 = $3280 that could pay for a decent computer and Projector (or even interactive white board) in each class. Therefore all grades could benefit.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by thaicbr

Just another PTP kickback scheme to help pay for that over priced, over taxed mercedes. Or do they pay taxes?whistling.gif Can't wait to see all the kids busy playing games and updating they're facebook pages on it before some punk on yaba jacks them up for it at the bus stop......another stupid idea from governmentcoffee1.gif When is it ever gonna end?

Well, I worked in aerospace testing in the US for 14 years before moving here and unlike working in the "real" aerospace companies, independent test labs are the real poor folks of the technology arena. No problem. I got used to, and even welcomed the challenge of, trying to do the impossible with no resources, budget or manpower. I get by fine in austerity. Teaching in Thai schools, if they're poorly funded and overcrowded, is still not a pointless exercise. It's a worthy challenge that keeps my work interesting. What gets me steamed-up is when the system suddenly gets an infusion of much needed money and instead of using the money to reduce class sizes, replace chalk boards with dry-erase boards, put-in decent classroom AV systems, install A/C so the place doesn't feel like an oven, or even do basic maintenance like fixing the broken lights and fans and giving the place a good general cleaning/painting they instead piss it away on an almost certain to fail scheme like tablet computers. I think 3 years from now this whole exercise will have been abandoned and never spoken of but the billions of baht will be gone from the budget and the basic facilities will just be 3 years more dilapidated. Being poor is OK but wasting money on the wrong initiatives is the real shame.

• Like 2

The inimitable words of Homer Simpson, upon seeing that Bart had gotten an 'F' in English. "English? Who needs that? We're never going to England."

If Thailand had a rich tradition of thought-provoking and horizon broadening literature, like so many other cultures have, I'd agree with you that only a small percentage of them really do need to learn English but look at what the few Thais who do read are reading. Adult comic books about impossible love, ghost stories or fables about being a good citizen! Third-world status is not necessarily a result of resource poverty. It's just as likely to result from intellectual poverty. If most Thais still lived on rice farms and under an absolute monarchy that ran everything, OK. Thailand since the 1920s has been a democratic constitutional monarchy run by an elected representative government. There is no cultural tradition in the land's history, or writings, to help the common people understand just what rights and responsibilities they were invested with when they got the right to vote. They are going to have to learn the pitfalls and benefits that come with this power they have been given and there's simply nothing in Thai culture to prepare them for this. Since English has already become a global lingua-Franca for technology and tourism, it only makes sense to also utilize it as a national pipeline to help the citizens realize just how a democracy works. Even if you're going to spend your whole life working the land, your vote counts as much as anybody else's and if you aren't educated properly in how this works, you get the Keystone Cops brand of elected government, peppered with regular military coups, that so characterizes this nation's politics.

Also, English as a second language, and later Chinese as a third language, were openly stated national goals from years ago. If I set a goal to pay cash for a brand new Mercedes SL sport coupe 3 years from today but I do nothing to change my career, employer, education or work ethic, how do I deal with the fact that 3 years later I am still riding the same old Honda Click? You said you were going to do it, let's actually start doing it.

• Like 1

1 >All the

6 schools in 6 years is rather normal. I never represented myself as having "All the answers." I merely pointed to the 3 most obvious ones. 1. Reduce class size. 2. Require students who are failing a subject to receive a big "F" on their report card with no guarantee of moving up 1 grade next year. "Learn English or repeat this grade. All your friends move up but you get told to try it over again. and 3. Always have the farang teachers Assistant.schedule students for more than they cam possibly assimilate.

• Like 2

When I was in high school in the States we were required to take at least one year of foreign language, Spanish, French and German were generally the offered languages. None of us could ever see the benefit to learning any of these languages. Today though there is a huge Mexican population in the States and one could argue that learning Spanish has its benefits. Almost none of any real economic benefit, the same is true here in Thailand. Foreigners will spend money in Thailand even if the Thai's cannot speak English. I speak about 30 words of Thai and I have no problem living here. I buy food, cloths, gasoline, travel, go to the movies, etc. all by pointing or gesturing. I am happy and the Thai's are happy taking my money and they may even say to each other "stupid farang" in Thai.

So I might agree, have the students take one year of English to see if there is any interest, then let them get on with their real education. If a Thai wants to work for a foreign firm and needs to communicate with his/her non Thai speaking boss then English has a benefit. If a Thai wants to trade with foreign firms that don't speak Thai then speaking English has a benefit. But I believe ASEAN is intended to create a global community of SMALL Asian nations and hopefully give them the ability to compete with China, the US, Japan, etc. The ASEAN group of nations has chosen English to be the common language. Which is why there is a greater emphasis on teaching English at an early age and continuing to teach it. If you have to take an English class twice a week from Kindergarten to Mattayom some of it is bound to sink in. Almost every student in Thailand can say "My name is ...." "What is your name?" By the time the minority of these students attend university they will start to realize they need to learn English if they want to have any type of career that reaches beyond dealing with the local population.

All that said, I think the original OP means that giving tablets to 6 year olds is a waste of money. Which of course it is if your motive is to teach them anything using the devices. Which of course it is not PTP's goal. PTP's goal is to make it seem like they fulfilled the promise of a tablet for every student. Giving a million pieces of crap to 6 year old students is safe, the students will not have a clue that they were given a piece of shit, but PTP can bang the drums and shout to the masses "see we tried to give every student a tablet please elect us again!".

Just another PTP kickback scheme to help pay for that over priced, over taxed mercedes. Or do they pay taxes?whistling.gif Can't wait to see all the kids busy playing games and updating they're facebook pages on it before some punk on yaba jacks them up for it at the bus stop......another stupid idea from governmentcoffee1.gif When is it ever gonna end?

It is more than obvious that there was a lot of money taken under the table on this one.They're only hurting themselves on a macro level, and it's really gonna start to show when the AEC kicks off in 2015. Why, a lot of areas in rural Isaan and the north still don't even have wi-fi.

Here's a review with a YouTube video.

http://www.androidau...-program-85612/

Don't forget that these are intended for first grade kids, at 2,500 Baht/shot could be a good investment. Even if, at the start, all they do is play around with photographs, listen to music and play games. These get the kids acquainted with technology and hopefully curious about what else they can do.

I personally think it is a positive move thumbsup.gif

Certainly more positive than all the negative BS posted on TV.

Thank you!! Someone with something positive to say! I agree ... Let's give this a chance to work instead of jumping on every initiative before it's even off the ground... Maybe we'll be surprised.

Let's wait for a couple of months, see how many are still running, let alone being used in the classroom for anything other than killing time. Have the govt. released details of pre-loaded apps, or teacher training, or even technical support? I'll be a lot more than surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a total disaster but less surprised when the govt hail it to be a huge success.

Or maybe this is just negative BS.

Let's wait for a couple of months, see how many are still running, let alone being used in the classroom for anything other than killing time. Have the govt. released details of pre-loaded apps, or teacher training, or even technical support? I'll be a lot more than surprised if this doesn't turn out to be a total disaster but less surprised when the govt hail it to be a huge success.

Or maybe this is just negative BS.

Not even in place yet and already 100,000 out of the 400,000 have software issue and aren't running.

And you are?

Any home country (US/UK) Qualified teachers would not be working in the Thai government school system were wages start from 25,000b for NES teachers. They will be working in the private schools or international schools.

thumbsup.gif

sorry no time to read all this

does someone know of a tablet that a 5 year old can use to practice her Engrish? (smart kid)

prefer Pattaya purchase so I can post it on

need to know the make model bugs and software if possible

thanks

And you are?

There are many international schools in Korat

I dont know why but i have a strange feeling about these tablet computer...

Canot stop thinking about the purchase of fake bomb detector few year ago (that costed each 2 millions bath)

Wonder if these tablet have at least a screen... hey who knows?

Edited by Bender