BANGKOK 22 May 2019 09:42

I've been spreading cash around various banks to keep below the 1MB deposit protection ceiling in all of them and was running out of options. That account will do.

Standard Chartered offer a slightly higher rate with fewer restrictions but they don't have branches anywhere I want to go to.

Have you seen anything else that's decent? CIMB has a 5 month fix at 3.3% but I've not seen much else that's decent, I'm also trying to spread my funds around but am running out of banks, almost impossible to stay under the 1 mill. rule.

• Like 1

Who said sarcasm is a uniquely British trait! laugh.png

• Like 1

I've been spreading cash around various banks to keep below the 1MB deposit protection ceiling in all of them and was running out of options. That account will do.

Standard Chartered offer a slightly higher rate with fewer restrictions but they don't have branches anywhere I want to go to.

So the max you can have in any thai bank account with protection is one million baht? Is tha correct? thanks

So the max you can have in any thai bank account with protection is one million baht? Is tha correct? thanks

As far as I know today it's 50MB and from August it will be 1MB.

should your bank go belly-up then your grandchildren or the grandchildren of your heirs will praise your wisdom and be very grateful that the Thai supreme court will rule in their favour any time soon and force the guaranteeing body to pay them the million you deposited a century ago.

As far as I'm concerned any guarantee is better than no guarantee. There is always the possibility, however remote, that they may pay out.

Have you seen anything else that's decent? CIMB has a 5 month fix at 3.3% but I've not seen much else that's decent, I'm also trying to spread my funds around but am running out of banks, almost impossible to stay under the 1 mill. rule.

For instant access CIMB still have the Speed Savings at 2.75% (conditions apply) as discussed previously. TMB is OK at 2.25%. Stanachart at 2.5%

Time-deposits are another matter and the special offers (which are the only ones worth having) seem to change quite often.

• Like 2

For instant access CIMB still have the Speed Savings at 2.75% (conditions apply) as discussed previously. TMB is OK at 2.25%. Stanachart at 2.5%

Time-deposits are another matter and the special offers (which are the only ones worth having) seem to change quite often.

CIMB has closed down its speed savings with mutal fund link, they've sold their quota apparently.

TMB has just changed to 3% for their No Fixed account.

CIMB has closed down its speed savings with mutal fund link, they've sold their quota apparently.

Still being advertised on their website so the closure may be regional.