Bank Savings Interest Rates

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

SCB vs Bangkok Bank

Any comments about which might be more foreigner friendly? I'm partial to SCB.

From my experience, I never had any bad experience with Bangkok Bank but a few with SCB.

One SCB staff even refused to entertain me and went to stand beside the 'queue machine' even though nobody is waiting on the queue except me.

Many times I was also asked to withdraw from ATM instead and not from counter .

Bangkok Bank staff are more friendly unlike SCB staff which I find some are quite grumpy.

15 minutes ago, HampiK said:

KTB have a Fixed deposit for 22 months with 2% Interest rate per year.

I will go checkout on Monday, if this 2% is really per year, which sounds one of the best interest at the moment.

That is ok...but more often than not, KTB is one of the lower paying banks.  It has also become the go to for government handouts, which can create a mob scene at the ATMs and branches.  I will look for new promos at CIMB, and report back.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, moontang said:

That is ok...but more often than not, KTB is one of the lower paying banks.  It has also become the go to for government handouts, which can create a mob scene at the ATMs and branches.  I will look for new promos at CIMB, and report back.

So yes, they pay 2% per year for 22 months fixed account.

The "problem" with ATM mobs I don't care as I not use ATMs a lot. I mostly use Credit cards. I not use that much cash.

About Low paying bank (KTB) you are correct, Normally they pay about 1.3% to 1.5% per year.... but this special seems very good... hope after the 22 months they will have something good again. Else I will transfer the money back to another bank ???? Transfers are free

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, hackjam said:

I keep 800K in bank for retirement visa.

Can I lock it in to an interest plan for say 1 year or does it have to be "available" in the eyes of immigration people?

Government insured fixed deposits are almost always OK, with the exception of an occasional rougue officer or rookie making a fuss... I avoid letting them mature during seasoning. 

22 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

i save currently thb 5000 monthly at the scb fixed bonus acc. 36 months at end i receive 2.75 % on

the saved thb 180k.

they have also an e saver account 2.85 %.

wbr

roobaa01

Is the e saver account a monthly savings thing also or lump sum? Thanks

Den

On 9/20/2019 at 11:07 PM, HampiK said:

GSB (Omsin) have 2.25% for a 3 year Fixed Deposit, which seems one of the best at the moment.

The 2% for the 22 months at KTB seems still good in my eyes.

Thanks for the info HampiK. I just visited my local GSB and sure enough they have 2.25% 3 year subject to 15% withholding. Not a problem as I claim it back anyway.

I took along the following:

1. Passport with retirement extension stamp.

2. Thai Driving License

3 Electricity and water utility bills showing my name and address.

4. Tax Identification Certificate.

5. House Book (Condo)

6. ATM card and passbook from Kasikorn

7. Signed and stamped letter from Jurisic confirming residence for 4 years.

Refused because no work permit. After much discussion with staff and their head office they told me I could not open an account because I did not own land. If I had house and not condo it would have been OK.

You could not make it up.

Den

4 hours ago, denby45 said:

Thanks for the info HampiK. I just visited my local GSB and sure enough they have 2.25% 3 year subject to 15% withholding. Not a problem as I claim it back anyway.

I took along the following:

1. Passport with retirement extension stamp.

2. Thai Driving License

3 Electricity and water utility bills showing my name and address.

4. Tax Identification Certificate.

5. House Book (Condo)

6. ATM card and passbook from Kasikorn

7. Signed and stamped letter from Jurisic confirming residence for 4 years.

Refused because no work permit. After much discussion with staff and their head office they told me I could not open an account because I did not own land. If I had house and not condo it would have been OK.

You could not make it up.

Den

As always depends on branch. I only go there with my yellow book (Condo) Pink Card and the Passport!

That was enough to open the 2 accounts (Saving and Fixed deposit) this was happening in the IconSiam Branch.

But when I asked about Internet banking the first girl behind told can not do for foreigner, but the boss girl there then told can do as well. So I became the whole without a real problem. But as always in Thailand took some time to open the accounts.

I hope you can find another branch of GSB near your home which will allow you to open your account! And I think I remember that someone else also wrote that he have a GSB account. But not sure if he had an work permit or not. But in my case it was possible with the yellow book, which till now all banks accepted for me. But I just tried to help a friend with a 30 days excempt on Kasikorn, and they told, that now they not allowed to open accounts without a longstay visa.

21 hours ago, HampiK said:

As always depends on branch. I only go there with my yellow book (Condo) Pink Card and the Passport!

That was enough to open the 2 accounts (Saving and Fixed deposit) this was happening in the IconSiam Branch.

But when I asked about Internet banking the first girl behind told can not do for foreigner, but the boss girl there then told can do as well. So I became the whole without a real problem. But as always in Thailand took some time to open the accounts.

I hope you can find another branch of GSB near your home which will allow you to open your account! And I think I remember that someone else also wrote that he have a GSB account. But not sure if he had an work permit or not. But in my case it was possible with the yellow book, which till now all banks accepted for me. But I just tried to help a friend with a 30 days excempt on Kasikorn, and they told, that now they not allowed to open accounts without a longstay visa.

Yes good point I will try again today at another branch but I fear I will get the same result because the refusal actually came from the person in their head office when I spoke to them on the teller's phone.

Den

2 hours ago, denby45 said:

Yes good point I will try again today at another branch but I fear I will get the same result because the refusal actually came from the person in their head office when I spoke to them on the teller's phone.

Den

Hi Den,

That's strange as officially you don't need a work permit. Normally it the opposite way. The Headquarter say you can open but the branch makes it complicated. So let's hope with another branch you have more luck. Maybe it's depends on the HQ as well with whom you talk with!

20 hours ago, HampiK said:

Hi Den,

That's strange as officially you don't need a work permit. Normally it the opposite way. The Headquarter say you can open but the branch makes it complicated. So let's hope with another branch you have more luck. Maybe it's depends on the HQ as well with whom you talk with!

No. Tried again and the result the same. Immediately refused as soon as I asked in the branch because no work permit. They also contacted head office and I think it was the same person that answered so no luck. Result I changed my money to sterling and put in the UK with 2% interest. I did it through Halo because for some reason Transferwise don't do baht to sterling. Strange that. Anyway I lose a bit of interest but In 3 years time I reckon sterling will have recovered more than enough to cover the small difference. However you never know.

Den 

Archived