BANGKOK 22 May 2019 09:58

On 5/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, moontang said:

that 1.75 tax free 12 month at cimb for 55 and up is very tempting.  I got 500 to put in a 1 or two year.....anybody know what current 24 month is paying at cimb?

I only use the 12 month option at 1.75% but if you call them on 02 626 7777 they will give you the latest on 24 months deposits

13 minutes ago, stan18 said:

^^ Unfortunately, this seems to have been true for some but not for others.

Regardless of magnitude (within limits), tax on Interest from accounts designated as "saving" has traditionally not been implemented identically to that from accounts designated as "fixed deposit" . But it appears that "the times they are a changin".

MTD was the only regular savings account I would call better paying, that did not withhold, then CIMB offered equal or better in Speed Savings and also did not withhold, but required a million vs. 100k for best rate.  Eventually, there will be a higher interest rate environment and you will trigger withholdings. 

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

I only use the 12 month option at 1.75% but if you call them on 02 626 7777 they will give you the latest on 24 months deposits

Yeah, they said 1.70 on a 24..no promo, but communication could have been better.  Leaning towards the 12 month 1.75 no withholding, but they might say not for foreigner, but two branches told me I could do the 55 yo and up plan. So I might have to put her on the phone, and it won't be the first time.. but overall cimb in cnx, uth, and bkk have done me right.. knock wood. 

9 hours ago, moontang said:

Most of the better paying accounts withhold tax.  Not hard at all to get it all back. 

How does one get the withheld tax back?

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

How does one get the withheld tax back?

Walk into the bank and get a statement of taxes paid, then go to your local Revenue Office.. 

• Thanks 1