Sony Rx 100 This Might Be It

very tempting, so small and yet

http://tinyurl.com/bm3jjkg

PS My dream as one commenter argues

As for the tilting LCD not making the camera bigger, even the Oly E-PL3 (which has a tilting LCD) is made slightly bigger (thicker) because of its tilting LCD compared to the E-PM1 (which doesn't have a tilting LCD.

Edited by THAIPHUKET
  • Like 1

"very tempting, so small, and yet..." and yet what?

Looks like a neat combination. Everyone seems to be trying to find the perfect balance between sensor size and camera size. Not something for me, but I feel lots of people will still gravitate to the slightly larger NEX/PEN models.

Edit: After watching that short rather uninformative video, I must say the shot-processing time looks fairly good for a P&S and it sounds like there's an actual shutter in there.

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

This seem to be the one I would like to have as a second camera.

With 20 Mpix, a very good fast lens (Carl Zeiss) , all the latest Sony technology and you can shoot RAW, I know I will use it a lot.

I am very happy with my Sony a77 but I don't have a pocket big enough for it so sometimes it stays home.

Sometimes I bring my old Sony V1 when I am on the bike. I've taken more than 10 000 photos with that camera.

Is there someone out there that knows when the RX100 will be sold in Thailand and to what price?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd wait a while if you've already got cameras. I was looking to upgrade my Pentax K-5 to a Nikon D800 recently until Fujifilm brought out the X-Pro1 with the X-Trans sensor which is different to the traditional Bayer array. The ability to have no anti-aliasing filter acheiving much sharper images and not get moire effects because the X-Trans randomises the red/blue/green sensor layout is the one to watch.

I'd wait a while if you've already got cameras. I was looking to upgrade my Pentax K-5 to a Nikon D800 recently until Fujifilm brought out the X-Pro1 with the X-Trans sensor which is different to the traditional Bayer array. The ability to have no anti-aliasing filter acheiving much sharper images and not get moire effects because the X-Trans randomises the red/blue/green sensor layout is the one to watch.

True, their new filter layout definitely is an improvement and the way forward, but don't forget you're comparing a 16mp sharp-at-pixel level to a 36mp less-sharp-at-pixel level. What I mean is that the higher resolution allows you to downsample much more cleanly and at a factor like this, practically negates that slight edge over the xpro1 (no pun intended).

That said, they're also two very different cameras on every other level as well, but I'm sure you knew that.

But for the casual photographer and even a vast majority of working professionals, I'm not sure who Fuji was trying to impress with their new array. Many people see the new benefit of higher resolution/better low light performance/more responsive systems and feel the age in the equipment they're currently on, but I've never heard anyone go "man, I wish my camera could resolve at the pixel level and not have color moire artifacts"

What is important to me is response time. The best resolution doesnt help if you miss the shot, THE one split of a second gesture, mimic. Waiting for more info on this for the RX100

Which is one of the issues that always divided SLRs and P&Ss, and that mirrorless cameras are somewhat successful in bridging.

• Like 1

Here some response times http://tinyurl.com/7pl6byn

and a good preview with comparison to cameras in the same league.

http://www.cameralab...shot_DSC_RX100/

PS: pre-order on Amazon.com is about 650$ and on Amazon.de € 650

I have zero experience with things having mailordered here. Any recommendations?

I don´t worry much about guarantees.

Edited by THAIPHUKET

Do you know if rx 100 is available in Bangkok yet? What is pricing in Baht? Will be travelling thru airport in Japan in a few weeks. is pricing in japan generally higher than bankok? US?

thanks.

The reason why I am a fan of David Pogue is that it was David who went again and again against the craze of small sensors combined with ever growing pixel numbers, calling it the consumer fraud.

Here his article of today about the Sony RX100 http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/technology/personaltech/a-pocket-camera-even-pro-photographers-can-love-state-of-the-art.html?_r=1&ref=technology&gwh=C1FD151FC6909215AFFFAC2DF40C0040

• 2 weeks later...

here some samples http://thenewcamera....at=23 download the images and see for yourself

Blimey!!!

I love it when the prices fall though. Makes it viable.

There's dust in my LX5 lens now and I do find super-compacts handy. This would be great if it wasn't £550!!! Fujifilm X10??? Still got the hard white disc issue???

Apparently not. The firmware upgrade resolves this issue. And new models are being shipped with an improved sensor.

I'd take the X10 over the Sony.

I just found two more reviews for the Sony Rx100:

http://www.eoshd.com...t=Google Reader

http://www.luminous-...ony_rx100.shtml

Great reviews.

From the first review: "With the advent of the RX100, low end mirrorless cameras packing kit lenses are dead."

I wonder how this will affect the new Nikon J1 and V1 cameras.

Anyone know about pricing in Thailand yet? The Fuji X10 can be had for about 20,000 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

This does sound like a great camera.

I honestly did not go through all the reviews with a fine tooth comb, but I don't recall much said about night-time shots.

I saw a couple of good examples with dusk shots, but just wondering about night exposures.

Reason I'm asking is that we had a big party the other night and I was using an old Panasonic Lumix about 9 years old (4 MP), it has been ok over the years, but none of the party snaps turned out any good.........nothing to do with the amount of beer consumed of course.

But after visiting this forum a few times now, it has whetted my appetite to get back into photography again. Last time I was taking serious shots was with an SLR and I had to wait a week to get my results back (gives you an idea). So now with the advent of digital and reading about the Sony RX 100, I am very tempted to get back out there and have some fun with photography.

Cheers.

My friend made a very good comparison today;

Large-sensor compacts are like netbooks - they pack an impressive amount of power in a small package, but that's their only trick. But it is one hell of a trick. Portability is only one factor of a camera, but it can be the most important factor.

Larger laptops can do things netbooks only dream about, and similarly DSLRS have advantages over large-sensor compacts and mirrorless models.

And in a pinch, your phone (probably) takes photos, in the same way a smartphone can send an email.

But everywhere along the line, you will at one point or another be frustrated by technical limitations:

Your phone sucks at low light - your smartphone lags with flash websites.

Your compact is slow and unresponsive - your netbook can't play HD movies.

And it goes up - when they hit a certain limit in a certain situation, the DSLR owners wish they had FF, the FF wish they had medium format, the MF wish they had NASA equipment.

And the netbook owners wish they had a proper laptop, who wish they had a good desktop, who wish they had a super computer.

It just depends where you'll most likely hit those barriers as a user, and how often.

When I travel, I'm fine by my iPhone's limitations in web-capability, but I bring my big fat FF DSLR because I'd be frustrated with a P&S.

You've got to analyze your expectations and your needs.

But don't forget, acquiring new equipment always changes your expectations and your needs and your wants.

The frustration doesn't only go up. The DSLR user wishes he didn't have to carry around quite so much weight and volume, the desktop user wishes his computer was more portable.

There is no perfect solution, everything is a compromise. As far a cameras go, how much do you need the perceived improvements in IQ and usability that a bigger sensor and camera gives you before you are compromising on practicality and fun (which is what it is all about for most of us)? Almost nobody needs medium format, hardly anyone needs full frame. Most people don't even need a DSLR but get one because they think it is "better "(then shoot it on auto with a single lens).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...