Why All The Focus On Artificial Pond Fishing?

ExpatJ

I am surprised that this forum seems to focus almost 100% on fishing in ponds over stocked with over fed fish which you can catch pretty much every 5-10 minutes. As a fisherman i just don't see the challenge.

Is it purely because there are no natural lakes/rivers around?

Not trolling (so to speak) just curious.

"it purely because there are no natural lakes/rivers around?"

Yes, it is very hard to find any good natural source of fishing venues. Unfortunately, there is no foundation for hobby fishing apart form the so-called fishing parks. I think, there authorities, organizations to look after natural water systems in terms of fishing, no one places out fish to increase fish stocks (my thoughts). No catch and release too. People go out and take whatever they can.

I am a keen hobby fisherman, but I find it hard to enjoy fishing here. I have tried a couple of natural sources in the south, got almost zero success, but wherever I go fishing I can see fish thieves, large group of locals, armed with different nets raking through the actual place. And when I find a good source holding some fish, you can be sure that group of locals are lining up along the bank and rake through the water with their multi hooked fishing rods. No fishing intended, no baits used but the raking method.

Probably, the North is a better source of fresh water fishing than the South. I have heard the Salween or Moei rivers are good as well as the Kanchanaburi area.

Edited by garrya

I know of a fish hatchery in Phetchabun that routinely drops 10s of thousands of fingerlings into the local lakes. It is government run so I would expect others in different provinces. I know of one of the lakes that has access only to remote areas away from the dam. Most of the lakes around have good fishing from time to time, but only a few of the really dedicated locals can consitantly catch fish on a rod.

I know of a fish hatchery in Phetchabun that routinely drops 10s of thousands of fingerlings into the local lakes. It is government run so I would expect others in different provinces. I know of one of the lakes that has access only to remote areas away from the dam. Most of the lakes around have good fishing from time to time, but only a few of the really dedicated locals can consitantly catch fish on a rod.

It's good to hear there are fish hatcheries around, never heard of them here. I guess there is a sort of protection by the government, or they are under some sort of surveillance or by chance they are part of natural parks.

I go wild fishing quite often in various dams but mostly lure fishing for predators, Still i frequent pay for play ponds at times....some are quite fantastic, Bungsamran for instance is a pond where you can catch fish not allowed to target in the wild and is considered more of a social outing not being in the sun all day.

They stock Pla Nin, Pla Esook, Pla Tapian, Pla Nia, and even prawns. They are not secret. You can visit and look around and when they aren't raising for the lakes the hatch and sell to local farmers. For the farmers they hatch mostly sex reversed tilapia and catfish. They also do some research.

When I came to live in Thailand seven years ago, I bought all the fishing gear, then when I went out to watch people fishing at a huge lake recommended to me, I saw one man with about eight rods moving from one to the other all the time and could only catch a few small fish about 3 inches long, that put me off, now my fishing gear has been lying in the house and never used.

What I cannot understand even to this day, there are beautiful rivers all around where I live, and I never see anyone fishing in them, just why is that? I am not stupid enough to just go and start fishing by myself when I know there must be a reason why these beautiful rivers are never fished. If I saw other people fishing them I would have joined them years ago.

When I came to live in Thailand seven years ago, I bought all the fishing gear, then when I went out to watch people fishing at a huge lake recommended to me, I saw one man with about eight rods moving from one to the other all the time and could only catch a few small fish about 3 inches long, that put me off, now my fishing gear has been lying in the house and never used.

What I cannot understand even to this day, there are beautiful rivers all around where I live, and I never see anyone fishing in them, just why is that? I am not stupid enough to just go and start fishing by myself when I know there must be a reason why these beautiful rivers are never fished. If I saw other people fishing them I would have joined them years ago.

The majority of those waters have been fished. With nets and electricity and... In fact, if the technology existed to remove every single fish at a profit, every fish would be removed.

Those fish that remain are the ones that can't be exploited at a profit. Either too small, or too widespread to make them worth exploiting commercially. Hardly a recipe for a successful wild sport fishing venue.

I can't say I blame most folks for wanting to make a living and/or feed their family. I'd love to be all righteous and pissed off but it's only natural in an environment where wages can be so low.

So I fish the artificial ponds.

The majority of those waters have been fished. With nets and electricity and... In fact, if the technology existed to remove every single fish at a profit, every fish would be removed.

Those fish that remain are the ones that can't be exploited at a profit. Either too small, or too widespread to make them worth exploiting commercially. Hardly a recipe for a successful wild sport fishing venue.

I can't say I blame most folks for wanting to make a living and/or feed their family. I'd love to be all righteous and pissed off but it's only natural in an environment where wages can be so low.

Thanks impulse, you've been very helpful.

Sad, but all these words are true.

I have once seen people fishing in fast flowing river, that was at a dam where all of them were snagging, using multiple hooks and trying to lodge their hooks into the fish by yanking. It was appalling to see as hundreds of them were doing the same. I was there with a guy and he asked me if I wanted "fishing" there. I politely refejected the offer saying I needed a bite at first.

Anyway, we should not forget the difficulty of fishing in fast flowing rivers and the high chance of losing expensive tackles.

As for artificial ponds, I have fished some of them, only local ones with local "fishermen", and find it really strange how many people can mass on one lake standing 1 meter from each other. Main features of these places in my area : roaring music, loud people, casting across others' gears..... I have almost lost my temper a couple of times.

Edited by garrya

Thanks impulse, you've been very helpful.

If you're using the sarcasm button on that post, I have to agree. It's not as bad as I painted it- there are some decent wild fishing venues. Not so many, but I'd hate to discourage anyone from looking, or hiring a guide because some of them seem to know where to find them.

I need to watch how much coffee I drink before stepping up to the keyboard....

Edited by impulse

Impulse is right. It's all netted along with any other method possible. They aren't silly enough to sit on a single rod with one or 2 hooks and wait in the hot sun.

It would be good to remove the nets but it's not worth being shot or stabbed over. It ruins some of the great reservoirs in Thailand. It also seems silly for the government to stock fish only for many to be illegally caught and eaten.

...It also seems silly for the government to stock fish only for many to be illegally caught and eaten.

Since netting and trapping don't appear to be illegal, I think it makes perfect sense for the government to stock fish to feed and generate income for the less fortunate.

Seems it would be cheaper to stock some small fish and let them fend for themselves than to breed, hatch and feed chickens or pigs. Not to mention that fish can't raid your garden or crops like feral pigs often do.

That can be very different than stocking fish for sport fishing. For example, in China, they poisoned all the wild predator fish then stocked carp. Great if you enjoy carp....

Yep, if it swims, crawls or slithers through the water (or mud), it has been eaten or caught/sold.

I find Thailand completely aggravating having, I suspect like others on this forum, lived by a certain code, a lot of catch and release to preserve natural stocks, lure fishing, etc, but it's a different country here and totally different mindset, subsistence economy - survival. There seem to be a niche of "anglers" out there but IMO mostly the former. I once fished a small water supply pond in village. Ran into a gang of Thai guys who were all tricked out with gear and lures, had hot fishing stickers on their pick up, etc., so I thought yeah, here's some switched on dudes! Turns out they were yanking for mud sucker type fish, about 3 to 4 inches, and to my shock and horror, actually kept their catch. 1. Again, that was my western mind taking over, just had to get over it. The resevoir was picture perfect largemouth bass territory if I were back home, so I was tossing my rooster tail at sunset, knowing I was being foolish, but it just felt good doing it even I was just scaring the hell out of the skating water bugs and dragon flys. The gang of Thais sure had a laugh watching, then I got on my motorcy and went home with a few new bites from mozzies and black ants to show for my time "outdoors".

I don't really enjoy pay ponds but I do it just to be outside. The preparation to fish and the physical act itself, and being outside, is what I enjoy, at least that's all that's left.

Started out with borrowed medium to heavy rods and line at a small pond near my mate's house. Some of the locals appear to be going after Marlin. I guess hoping get a monster paduc. The first time a number of years back, I put my first ever lump of bread on that boat anchor bread basket contraption I was told to use, I was so embarrassed, shaking my head in disbelief I was ACTUALLY doing such a thing.

I later reduced to the smaller basket thingy and have now totally binned it. I've taken to using light rods and small spinning reels, 4 to 6lb test and only a spring treble hook I stocked up on at the shop last time in the States. I push down the barbs with needle nose to cause less damage, and press a very small ball of bread on and fly-line it out like that; no weight, no contraptions that'll set off an airport metal detector, etc. The locals look at me, have a giggle at my expense, but I just don't care. They catch paduc or sawai every 30 seconds to 1 minute per cast. Mine might lay out there for a bit longer but eventually I hook up, and those 2 to 5 kg fish are great fun on light tackle. Some of those giggling Thais watch in disbelief that my rig, or lack thereof, actually produced a hook up. It's not rocket science throwing loaves of bread at scarred and bleeding catfish. If my mate or others catch a jarumet or something else we let it go to the horror of any nearby Thai. In the latter, that fish would never see its next birthday but fair play, it's PTP.

Then I go home, deflated, and think about my good old younger days in uncontrolled natural lakes, ocean jetties, beaches and off shore kelp beds in a far away land.

J

...It also seems silly for the government to stock fish only for many to be illegally caught and eaten.

Since netting and trapping don't appear to be illegal, I think it makes perfect sense for the government to stock fish to feed and generate income for the less fortunate.

Seems it would be cheaper to stock some small fish and let them fend for themselves than to breed, hatch and feed chickens or pigs. Not to mention that fish can't raid your garden or crops like feral pigs often do.

That can be very different than stocking fish for sport fishing. For example, in China, they poisoned all the wild predator fish then stocked carp. Great if you enjoy carp....

It's when the fish is realsed by the gov agency and caught 10 yards downstream by a net 5 minutes later that seems ironic to me.

Yep, if it swims, crawls or slithers through the water (or mud), it has been eaten or caught/sold.

I find Thailand completely aggravating having, I suspect like others on this forum, lived by a certain code, a lot of catch and release to preserve natural stocks, lure fishing, etc, but it's a different country here and totally different mindset, subsistence economy - survival. There seem to be a niche of "anglers" out there but IMO mostly the former. I once fished a small water supply pond in village. Ran into a gang of Thai guys who were all tricked out with gear and lures, had hot fishing stickers on their pick up, etc., so I thought yeah, here's some switched on dudes! Turns out they were yanking for mud sucker type fish, about 3 to 4 inches, and to my shock and horror, actually kept their catch. 1. Again, that was my western mind taking over, just had to get over it. The resevoir was picture perfect largemouth bass territory if I were back home, so I was tossing my rooster tail at sunset, knowing I was being foolish, but it just felt good doing it even I was just scaring the hell out of the skating water bugs and dragon flys. The gang of Thais sure had a laugh watching, then I got on my motorcy and went home with a few new bites from mozzies and black ants to show for my time "outdoors".

I don't really enjoy pay ponds but I do it just to be outside. The preparation to fish and the physical act itself, and being outside, is what I enjoy, at least that's all that's left.

Started out with borrowed medium to heavy rods and line at a small pond near my mate's house. Some of the locals appear to be going after Marlin. I guess hoping get a monster paduc. The first time a number of years back, I put my first ever lump of bread on that boat anchor bread basket contraption I was told to use, I was so embarrassed, shaking my head in disbelief I was ACTUALLY doing such a thing.

I later reduced to the smaller basket thingy and have now totally binned it. I've taken to using light rods and small spinning reels, 4 to 6lb test and only a spring treble hook I stocked up on at the shop last time in the States. I push down the barbs with needle nose to cause less damage, and press a very small ball of bread on and fly-line it out like that; no weight, no contraptions that'll set off an airport metal detector, etc. The locals look at me, have a giggle at my expense, but I just don't care. They catch paduc or sawai every 30 seconds to 1 minute per cast. Mine might lay out there for a bit longer but eventually I hook up, and those 2 to 5 kg fish are great fun on light tackle. Some of those giggling Thais watch in disbelief that my rig, or lack thereof, actually produced a hook up. It's not rocket science throwing loaves of bread at scarred and bleeding catfish. If my mate or others catch a jarumet or something else we let it go to the horror of any nearby Thai. In the latter, that fish would never see its next birthday but fair play, it's PTP.

Then I go home, deflated, and think about my good old younger days in uncontrolled natural lakes, ocean jetties, beaches and off shore kelp beds in a far away land.

J

I am totally with you, understand completely.

55Jay, on Yesterday, 12:51 , said: Yep, if it swims, crawls or slithers through the water (or mud), it has been eaten or caught/sold.

I find Thailand completely aggravating having, I suspect like others on this forum, lived by a certain code, a lot of catch and release...

i find it quite normal that an animal is hunted/caught and then eaten. what i find not only aggravating but disgusting is catching an animal, hurt it, in many cases torture it, and all that for fun and "sports" and boasting about it and with utter arrogance mentioning "living by a certain code" bah.gif

55Jay, on Yesterday, 12:51 , said: Yep, if it swims, crawls or slithers through the water (or mud), it has been eaten or caught/sold.

I find Thailand completely aggravating having, I suspect like others on this forum, lived by a certain code, a lot of catch and release...

i find it quite normal that an animal is hunted/caught and then eaten. what i find not only aggravating but disgusting is catching an animal, hurt it, in many cases torture it, and all that for fun and "sports" and boasting about it and with utter arrogance mentioning "living by a certain code" bah.gif

Whooops. methinks Naam isn't a fisherman.

Disagree. He's actually "baiting" in the fishing forum, or is that trolling?

Naam, thank you, I understand where you are coming from, even if your post was laced with barbs. There I go again, using fishing terminology in the fishing forum.

Like all of us, you have the requisite anatomical qualification to voice an opinion. You voiced two, so you must be a really big one. sick.gif

no i'm not, but for many years i used to be a passionate hunter "who lived by a certain code". that code was "never kill an animal for sports or a trophy!" to be fair, i admit that the majority of hunters care a flying fart for that code. therefore, when i visit my brother i refuse to sit with him in the room where he proudly displays, among "justifiable" trophies, those of senseless killed animals.

no i'm not, but for many years i used to be a passionate hunter "who lived by a certain code". that code was "never kill an animal for sports or a trophy!" to be fair, i admit that the majority of hunters care a flying fart for that code. therefore, when i visit my brother i refuse to sit with him in the room where he proudly displays, among "justifiable" trophies, those of senseless killed animals.

I agree displaying taxidermied specimens is a little creepy, but like your brother, just don't give 2 farts what you think. Thanks for sharing your position on fishing and hunting in the fishing forum.

i find it quite normal that an animal is hunted/caught and then eaten. what i find not only aggravating but disgusting is catching an animal, hurt it, in many cases torture it, and all that for fun and "sports" and boasting about it and with utter arrogance mentioning "living by a certain code"

Since I'm a catch and release kind of guy, I figure I'm providing a valuable educational service to the fish I catch.

They get a little irritated, but learn not to chew on every bright thingie that comes along with a string attached.

That way, when the meat fishermen come by, the fish has a better chance of seeing its next birthday.

Win-win.

Edited by impulse

Impulse, unfortunately 'meat fishermen' do not use lures or rod and lines. They usually use long nets, or long lines. Those who fish for a meal cannot be faulted, it's survival. Even then, they should have the common sense to release small fries and let them grow bigger to be caught again. But they don't think this way.

I've seen fishermen who really 'hates' fishes. They do not eat them, just catch them and leave them to die on the ground. They do this at paid ponds in the wild too. They are sick in the head.

We practice C&R to help out the fish population in our small way.

Tight lines.