Why All The Focus On Artificial Pond Fishing?

ExpatJ

55Jay, on Yesterday, 12:51 , said: Yep, if it swims, crawls or slithers through the water (or mud), it has been eaten or caught/sold.

I find Thailand completely aggravating having, I suspect like others on this forum, lived by a certain code, a lot of catch and release...

i find it quite normal that an animal is hunted/caught and then eaten. what i find not only aggravating but disgusting is catching an animal, hurt it, in many cases torture it, and all that for fun and "sports" and boasting about it and with utter arrogance mentioning "living by a certain code" bah.gif

Luckily freedom of choice allows us to do things that some people don't like. There are extreme religious types who would like to see you dead just for not following their beliefs and adhering to their daily routines. Thankfully we don't have to listen to them. You need to remember that a fish is an extremely simple animal with a brain less evolved than a reptile. It's concepts of pain, suffering etc can't be compared to those of a human. It doesn't have the physiological ability to feel the same way. Fish swim around their whole lives trying to avoid the next big predator that comes along. There's no relaxing.

55Jay, on Yesterday, 12:51 , said: Yep, if it swims, crawls or slithers through the water (or mud), it has been eaten or caught/sold.

I find Thailand completely aggravating having, I suspect like others on this forum, lived by a certain code, a lot of catch and release...

i find it quite normal that an animal is hunted/caught and then eaten. what i find not only aggravating but disgusting is catching an animal, hurt it, in many cases torture it, and all that for fun and "sports" and boasting about it and with utter arrogance mentioning "living by a certain code" bah.gif

Luckily freedom of choice allows us to do things that some people don't like. There are extreme religious types who would like to see you dead just for not following their beliefs and adhering to their daily routines. Thankfully we don't have to listen to them. You need to remember that a fish is an extremely simple animal with a brain less evolved than a reptile. It's concepts of pain, suffering etc can't be compared to those of a human. It doesn't have the physiological ability to feel the same way. Fish swim around their whole lives trying to avoid the next big predator that comes along. There's no relaxing.

Thanks. Naam is still searching for fish to interview instead of confering with his dogs like he normally does. He does keep fish hostage in his garden pond for his own selfish enjoyment and/or to impress others. Maybe he was drunk, or they were asleep at night/zero dark thirty when he posted the hijacks. Anyway...

Get a chuckle sometimes when some of the boys on the Soi keep a fish or two from the pay pond, take it home, still alive, and hand it over to their Thai Mrs. She can't kill it to clean/prep it, so she'll toss it in the freezer where it dies what we would consider a slow and agonizing death......while the grille is warming up out the back and chilis and garlic are being pounded into submission.

I never critisize anyone for their beliefs and faith, even as my Mrs. pulls tidy packs of cellophane wrapped protein off the supermarket shelves and believes in ghosts. We live in a Muslim country when not in LOS so contrasting opinions, contradictions and often curious hypocrasy, are part of daily life.

i will consult with some fish which were caught and released and then perhaps adjust my judgment accordingly wink.png

The fish i have spoken to, told me it was a pleasure to be caught (at least the ones i caught).

what crime did you commit in that life before your reincarnation as a fish? and can you explain the concepts of pain you felt or is this hampered by the then less evolved brain? ermm.gif

my questions are of course rhetoric. with my postings i only wanted to emphasise that i find it wrong to make any living being, no matter on which level of evolution, suffer unnecessarily.

what crime did you commit in that life before your reincarnation as a fish? and can you explain the concepts of pain you felt or is this hampered by the then less evolved brain? ermm.gif

my questions are of course rhetoric. with my postings i only wanted to emphasise that i find it wrong to make any living being, no matter on which level of evolution, suffer unnecessarily.

Are you sure Naam? I've seen you make many a TV member suffer with your replies. biggrin.png

My only point would be that a fish may not be concious of the pain. Like when you get a bite when sleeping or drunk. You'd react but not really suffer. You arent conciously aware. Also like pricking your finger. Pulling away is purely reflexive. Pain comes conciously later. Anyway yours is a fair statement to make.

...i only wanted to emphasise that i find it wrong to make any living being, no matter on which level of evolution, suffer unnecessarily.

No disrespect intended, but the lifestyle we all lead guarantees critters will suffer.

Investing in gold? Think of all the fish suffering from arsenic, cyanide, and mercury poisoning in their streams.

Investing in oil? Ditto.

Like hamburgers? Triple ditto.

Driving down the road? Think of all the bugs squashed on your windshield, and lizards under your tires.

I'm not justifying deliberate cruelty, simply contending that fishing (catch and release, or for meat) is hardly the cruelest thing I do during a day.