International Crime-Fighters To Meet In Phuket

webfact

International crime-fighters to meet in Phuket

Phuket Gazette

crime.jpeg

Phuket has a big problem with corruption, especially related to land encroachment, said NACC Assistant Secretary-General Chairat Khanittabutr. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Phuket will host an international crime-fighting convention next month targeting money laundering and transfer of ownership of Phuket land to people or organizations overseas.

The seminar, being organized by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), will feature experts from anti-money-laundering organizations such as the Ministry of Justice in Switzerland. Among them will be Peter Ritchie, senior adviser of the International Crime - Policy & Engagement Branch of the Attorney-General’s Department in Australia.

“If money or properties are transferred abroad, then it’s hard to get them back because we cannot take direct action. We can use formal channels involving foreign affairs officials and the Attorney General, but the process has many steps and is quite slow,” explained NACC Assistant Secretary-General Chairat Khanittabutr.

“Our country’s image with respect to corruption is not getting any better, and corruption in Thailand is becoming more complex,” Mr Chairat explained.

“And according to our information, Phuket has a big problem with corruption, especially related to land encroachment,” he added.

About 150 delegates are expected to join the event, to be held at the JW Marriott Resort & Spa in Mai Khao from July 9-12.

“About 70 delegates will be from abroad and about 50 Thai officers from anti-corruption organizations and 20 officers from other relevant agencies are expected to attend,” Mr Chairat said.

“There will also be discussions on reducing poverty and stimulating economic growth, with speakers from the World Bank headquarters in Washington, DC,” he added.

All delegates will receive souvenir batik shirts from the NACC, said Mr Chairat.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16142.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-08

Quote "If money or properties are transferred abroad, then it’s hard to get them back."

Money I can understand but I'm a bit confused as to how you get a property out of Phuket to another location on the planet in the first place. Maybe it's another example of changing feet to open mouth.......or whatever the saying is.

" Phuket has a big problem with corruption " Really are you sure now ?

I and I think everyone can understand that bit, hope he can solve it. Stay tuned everyone.

Gotta go, just saw a flock of pigs fly by, must close the windows.

Edited by sportsman69

reading the header, i tought the AVENGERS were comming this way; woehahaha

so farang steal land and send property situated in thailand oversees? wow, very big ship needed to steal land from thailand

bad farang

• Like 1

so farang steal land and send property situated in thailand oversees? wow, very big ship needed to steal land from thailand

bad farang

Well I was expecting Batman and Superman so obviously an eye-catching headline.

Looks as if Thailand is really serious about getting Ayres Rock back.

Not many people know it was originally called Somchai's Rock before ownership of this was stolen by the Aborigines centuries ago and 'transferred abroad'.

You couldn't make it up!!

Yeah true story. The Thais have realised the the Abo's also run a dual price scam based on skin colour and they want it back to add to their portfolio. Fits right in. Perfect.

Well anyway this event will dispel any doubt about Phuket being the crime hub of Asia. Takes one to know one they say.

Also a discussion on reducing poverty! I wonder how much it costs to have 150 stay at the Marriott ?

“There will also be discussions on reducing poverty and stimulating economic growth,"

Are they talking about the poverty of corrupt politicians and BIB? I can't wait to read the headline "Members of the international crime fighter convention, robbed, scamed by TukTuk and jet ski mafia and drugged by hookers on Phuket!"

• Like 1

bad farang

No not the Avengers........It's Batman and Robin who are turning up to apprend the Joker who set up the seminar. :ph34r:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

A lot of talk with no action. It will be good for the Australian reps to escape the cold weather

It would depend on which state of Australia that is currently cold surely?

To get on trips like this you would have to most likely live in Canberra and be high up in the public service. Very cold place in July

Nobody from the top end of Australia would get a spot.

Transferring land ownership out of Thailand? Maybe the ownership is now with people or companies outside of Thailand but the records are still kept at the land office so where is the problem. If it has been done illegally it should be a simple matter for the land office to revoke the titles & seize the land but then again nothing is really simple when it comes to this type of corruption. I suppose it could be another way to blame foreigners & whitewash the culpable locals involved. Then again it could be another case of bad translation.