England'S Official 2012 Euro Discussion Thread

mrbojangles

I got up at 1:45 to watch the England v France game. Stoopid or what? Never mind - watch the first half of the Sweden game, get a good nights sleep and try to avoid the news and thai visa until the replay comes on mid pm.

Commentator "just a reminder that Sweden and Ukraine are in the same group as England and France, who drew 1-1 earlier today". Doh!

Not too much to worry about re Ukraine and Sweden, based on the first half.

Disorganised, kantharalak

Postscript - luckily I haven't gone to bed - Ukraine game has gone from dire to exciting. Those of you who went to bed after correctly scheduling the match you wanted to watch should join the replay at the half time analysis

Edited by SantiSuk

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England prove they are more than Euro 2012 also-rans as France fall flat

The Three Lions may have been unspectacular but they restricted their well-fancied opponents and took the first step towards progression from Group D

11 Jun 2012 19:30:00

Wayne Veysey

England Expert

COMMENT

It was nervy and not especially pretty. But England’s tournament opener sent a wrecking ball through the theory that they are in Poland and Ukraine merely to make up the numbers.

By sharing the points with perhaps the most fancied team outside of the big three of Spain, Germany and Netherlands, Roy’s Hodgson’s team can reflect with some pride when they return to their Krakow training base.

As Steven Gerrard said afterwards, England have now “built a platform” to qualify from the group stages.

Read more: www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/11/3166345/england-prove-they-are-more-than-euro-2012-also-rans-as

i don't particularly take any 'satisfaction' in england's failings unless they've bigged themselves up ahead of the tournament as they usually do - best league in the world, golden generation, 200 years of hurt or however many it is now, all that garbage -

I don't think there is anything much wrong with describing the English league as the best in the world - it's there or there abouts, when you take into consideration not just the top two teams, but right up and down the table...

And i don't think there is much wrong with talking about the golden generation - it was a time when for once we didn't just have one world class player, but a handful - Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Great potential. Unfulfilled sure, but lots of "great" teams suffer that fate.

And the years of hurt, well what's wrong with wanting something badly? That's all it means.

Fact is, whether you go to France, to Spain, to Germany, to Portugal, to Italy, right now, it makes little difference, all the media and all the people on the streets and everywhere, they are all getting excited, all talking about past performances, the good ones, those bad ones. Bigging themselves up as well. Hoping. Wishing. Praying. We English supporters are no different. Media might get carried away in the UK more than other nations, but whose cares about them? It's the supporters that count, and we are realistic and under no illusions about our team.

Feels though that in your eyes, any talk that deviates from how crap we are or anything that might dare express something bordering on positivity and we are cocky bolshy and arrogant and deserving of a spanking.

So true and hasn't it become so boring. Were just not allowed to be "positive" the same as everyone else. Truth is theres an aweful lot with great big chips on their shoulders and the plastics are the worst. And this never ending belly aching about arrogance is just pathetic. So sad when you celebrate anothers loss more than your own victory. laugh.png

Well France had the best of the chances but we had a few ourselves and had we been a bit more clinical, who knows...

That said, we did look very shakey at times and lack organisation.

Chamberlain was a big disappointment for me. Didn't do much at all, besides get booked. Milner was much the same.

Young probably looked our most dangerous player.

Was a good strike by Nasri but at his near post, Hart shouldn't have been beaten.

i hope i don't offend anyone when i say England stuck to the task well and deserved the draw. Restricted france as much as possible and looked a tough nut to crack. if only we could hold onto possession better!

One thing that Roy has to stop is the way we let teams come on at us. It makes for very nervy viewing but all in all well done and a good solid start. Gerrard i thought looked every bit the right man to lead the team.

Thought Parker had a good game i think it was stated 92%.pass completion and broke up play well, Milner was woeful and Chamberlain did not impress me, against sweeden i would go Young on the left Wallcott on the right and a 3 man midfield with Welbeck on his own up front, thought Welbeck played well seeing the lack of service.

• Like 2

Thought Parker had a good game i think it was stated 92%.pass completion and broke up play well, Milner was woeful and Chamberlain did not impress me, against sweeden i would go Young on the left Wallcott on the right and a 3 man midfield with Welbeck on his own up front, thought Welbeck played well seeing the lack of service.

Agree about Milner. Slightly above average, way overated premier league player.

• Like 1

i hope i don't offend anyone when i say England stuck to the task well and deserved the draw. Restricted france as much as possible and looked a tough nut to crack. if only we could hold onto possession better!

One thing that Roy has to stop is the way we let teams come on at us. It makes for very nervy viewing but all in all well done and a good solid start. Gerrard i thought looked every bit the right man to lead the team.

Pretty much agree with that. 2 goals by City players and although Hart shouldn't have let the goal in, he pulled off some spectacular saves to ensure they only scored 1.

It sort of went according to plan didnt it?

The back 4 (especially Johnson) all played well as did Gerard and Parker. Once Rooney is back we might be a little more threatening in attack.

For the French, Nasri was clearly outstanding - I just wonder where he was for most of last season.

Thought we did well to be holding on for a draw. France still have enuf quality to give any team a decent game.

Terry and lescott played as well as any pairing as ive seen so far, be intersting to see how they fare against capt imbramo boy with the

turnips.

Cole did ok defensively, just, But Didnt see much attacking play from him, he seems to stop at the half way line? . 4 me Baines looks a better all round option.

And it looked to me as tho welbeck isnt quite powerful enuf to do the job woy asked, perhaps carroll's more suited? it would have been

interesting 2 see how the french dealt with a more physical, perhaps aerial approach.

Any way, cant be 2 unhappy defo not a game we wanted to lose.

For the French, Nasri was clearly outstanding - I just wonder where he was for most of last season.

I thought the same

man city are far more structured than France, last nite he was almost given a free rein , he 100 % doesn't get that at man city.

Happy enough with the result, but can't understand why after we scored we sat back and let the French come at us. Before our goal I felt we were passing quite well and we did not see the expected defensive line-up. That all changed when we scored, we seemed to step back 20 odd yards.

Agree about Milner, wasted a good chance and very ordinary and i thought Hart should have done better with the goal. A bit more belief in our attacking options and we should qualify....i hope

• Like 1

Good result, would of taken the draw before the game.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting from England but was surprised also with France they also seemed to hold back until to we really invited them on in second half when we sat really deep.

Had a great chance to score early on with Milner.

Need some one upfront who can hold the ball better and has good movement - Rooney or even Carroll.

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Lescott seemed to score with his face. Benefit of not having looks to worry about i guess.

Yeah Lescotts Paninni sticker comes with a fag(not gay) like health warning still his mucker Frankie scarface Ribery was making him look like a supermodel last night jerk.gif

Just imagine if Ribery went to manchester City they would be the Champions of Uglyness bah.gif

See ya!

Think Hodgson was helped by the fact that France seemed satisfied with a point if I'm honest but the defence held up well

Draw though is a decent result but dont expect the approach to change much in the other games

do think we could have worked their defence more but the forward players were again isolated. Maybe Rooney might help with that for the last game but against Sweden we should aim to kill their campaign off on friday, but sense it will be another grinding affair. But a win and it wont matter too much

Think Hodgson was helped by the fact that France seemed satisfied with a point if I'm honest but the defence held up well

agree with that. longer the game went on the more content with a point france seemed. they'll fancy themselves to get at least four points from sweden and ukraine i'd have thought.

Draw though is a decent result but dont expect the approach to change much in the other games

do think we could have worked their defence more but the forward players were again isolated. Maybe Rooney might help with that for the last game but against Sweden we should aim to kill their campaign off on friday, but sense it will be another grinding affair. But a win and it wont matter too much

hodgson has a weird habit of backing right off and doing the backs to the wall thing when his teams go one in front. when england scored they were really on top and could/should have kicked on a bit, forcing france back and maybe looking to create a mistake that could have got them a second goal. young and welbeck were pretty disappointing and lightweight really. you'd expect a bit better workrate from your front two if you're going to just sit back and allow the other team possession in that way.

It sort of went according to plan didnt it?

The back 4 (especially Johnson) all played well as did Gerard and Parker. Once Rooney is back we might be a little more threatening in attack.

Same place he was for his last 6 months at Arsenal. He took his lead from Fabregas I believe in hindsight. Thought he would miraculously rediscover his prior Arsenal form once he had got what he wanted with a transfer to a trophy-bound side. Could be v important for City next year

agree with that. longer the game went on the more content with a point france seemed. they'll fancy themselves to get at least four points from sweden and ukraine i'd have thought.

hodgson has a weird habit of backing right off and doing the backs to the wall thing when his teams go one in front. when england scored they were really on top and could/should have kicked on a bit, forcing france back and maybe looking to create a mistake that could have got them a second goal. young and welbeck were pretty disappointing and lightweight really. you'd expect a bit better workrate from your front two if you're going to just sit back and allow the other team possession in that way.

Its one thing I dont really like about Roy, his tactics are the epitome of one dimensional. Would have tried earlier to shuffle the pack once we scored and France started coming on to us, get Milner inside and Young out wide. But Hodgson doesnt really do tactical changes, its one way and one way only

also think Carroll for the last 20 minutes might have roughed up France's defence which as that set piece goal exposed, isnt that comfortable to say the least. Also we would get a lot more out of Gerrard if he was playing in youngs position, though he did well enough

the area where the tactics seem to suit us though is the back 4, it does play to their strengths, but the attacking area is left narrow and redundant, its a shame really because the Man Yoo forward players can do some damage if allowed

Shearer said on the BEEB that Wellbeck was man of the match,he was superb at least he showed the pace to beat defenders at times.

I would of liked to have seen shithot Carroll and what his workrate would of been like !!

Agree with what Shearer said and he should know being one of the best strikers in the last 20 years, its only the one eyed scousers on here who think he was rubbish and lightweight, yes i am sure Andy carthorse Carrol would have done a better job 555.

Shearer said on the BEEB that Wellbeck was man of the match,he was superb at least he showed the pace to beat defenders at times.

I would of liked to have seen shithot Carroll and what his workrate would of been like !!

Agree with what Shearer said and he should know being one of the best strikers in the last 20 years, its only the one eyed scousers on here who think he was rubbish and lightweight, yes i am sure Andy carthorse Carrol would have done a better job 555.

Surely you mean that Shearer, as one of England's leading strikers of the last 20 years, would pick Welbeck (England's striker) as MOTM? Because he might have done ok but I hardly see how he was the best player in the England team - 23 passes and not even an attempt at a shot on goal. Looking forward to having Rooney back myself.

Switching to defence after getting ahead isn't something i enjoy either, but it's hardly an unusual tactical decision or something particular to Hogson. Reckon 90% of managers in Poland, were they up a goal in the first game of the tournament, would do something similar. How successfully obviously to a large extent depends on the players.

• Like 1

England made a pretty good fist of it I thought, they are the Fulham / West Brom of international football, that's our level, so didn't expect a tippy tappy Barcelona "carousel" as Alex Ferguson would say. I just hope they can improve the ball retention and movement off the ball a bit, and they might squeak out of the group thumbsup.gif . Can't fault the work rate.

England made a pretty good fist of it I thought, they are the Fulham / West Brom of international football, that's our level, so didn't expect a tippy tappy Barcelona "carousel" as Alex Ferguson would say. I just hope they can improve the ball retention and movement off the ball a bit, and they might squeak out of the group thumbsup.gif . Can't fault the work rate.

They arent really. They are more a Spurs in terms of decent individuals but a bit suspect under pressure. Most of that team had been part of teams that had won championships and quite a few were part of teams that have won European cups as well

Roy is getting them to play a bit like Fulham though. The defence can adapt and have done quite well, but the attack is under utilised. Last 2 games there will be a need to be a bit more assertive, but have my doubts whether that will happen. Though i suppose if the defence can keep a clean sheet in the next 2 games, that should be enough to at least get in the quarters