Northern Thai Dialect

Mekong Bob

Lum Lum = Tastes good

oo-wee = great granparents

Generic for grandparent. In the village I myself have am now more often called uuwii rather than lung even though I do not have any grandchildren yet..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lum Lum = Tastes good

Generic for grandparent. In the village I myself have am now more often called uuwii rather than lung even though I do not have any grandchildren yet..

Lung is 'Uncle' not Grandparent I believe

Lum Lum = Tastes good

I thought grandmother was Yai, Grandfather something like Da, and Great Grandparents (both) are called oo-wee?

I am familiar with the Lanna term "pin" ( ปิ้น ), most often defined as "to turn over".

In Central Thai, พลิก, พลิกกลับ (phlik, phlik-klap).

I think "ja-lin" is an intensifier in this phrase.

Kam Mueang-speakers, please help. Can "pin-ja-lin" also mean "opposite"? Thanks!

Lum Lum = Tastes good

I thought grandmother was Yai, Grandfather something like Da, and Great Grandparents (both) are called oo-wee?

My wife tells me that อุ๊ย is old-fashioned. That may be why there is a tendency to use it for great-grandparents.

Sorry about the numeric character entities - the Thai displays fine in the editor!

Edited by Richard W

My wife tells me that อุ๊ย is old-fashioned. That may be why there is a tendency to use it for great-grandparents.

Alas, in the city some of the Kham Muang language is seen as old fashioned, if not more rustic and coarse. My son, who learned his Thai in our rather rural and somewhat remote village prefers to speak Kham Muang to Central Thai which of course endears him to all the older women in the local markets who just think he is the greatest luuk kreung on the planet. He does pretty well with the women his own age as well. My daughter on the other hand, Ms. Riap Roi, she who does not take after her father and who attends Payap, prefers to speak only Central Thai.

Thanks very much for the4se leads, Keo!

I will now take this 50-page list of kam-mueang terms and phrases, re-enter all (Thai and English) in a Microsoft Word document, add romanized Thai and tones (numbered), and go from there. No linguistic babble in this version, guaranteed!

You may want to start from the .odt version of my transcription plus annotation, rather than the .pdf. Word can import .odt files, you don't need to use OpenOffice or LibreOffice to convert the files to RTF. You may like what I've done with cross-references, and the scheme's easier to use in Word than LibreOffice.

Edited by Richard W

Thank you, Richard. Please tell me where I can acquire the .odt version.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes, or intrude on Richard... I was able to download the odt version by replacing pdf with odt in his link.

MSPain

kam-mueng.pdf

Attached is a sample page from a dictionary project which I have recently started. I’m at 70 pages now, but hope to double that in the next six weeks. Most of the entries are drawn from the U.S. Peace Corps compilation and the efforts of linguist Richard W. in the Chiang Rai Forum. I have some excellent native kam-mueang speakers lined up, including a Thai linguist, to review drafts for accuracy. I could use more help from Thai linguists and native-speakers of kam-mueang (as spoken in Chiang Mai), and would welcome referrals. It would also be very helpful to enlist the support of a local Chiang Mai person who reads the Lanna script and regularly uses the Lanna computer font.

Comments are most welcome!

Edited by Mekong Bob

kam-mueng.pdf

Attached is a sample page from a dictionary project which I have recently started. I’m at 70 pages now, but hope to double that in the next six weeks. Most of the entries are drawn from the U.S. Peace Corps compilation and the efforts of linguist Richard W. in the Chiang Rai Forum. I have some excellent native kam-mueang speakers lined up, including a Thai linguist, to review drafts for accuracy. I could use more help from Thai linguists and native-speakers of kam-mueang (as spoken in Chiang Mai), and would welcome referrals. It would also be very helpful to enlist the support of a local Chiang Mai person who reads the Lanna script and regularly uses the Lanna computer font.

Comments are most welcome!

thanks - I guess you will be selling it?

No, I won't be selling it. Will make it available as an online reference, probably on a Chiang Mai University website. Still have a long way to go. I'm retired, and I have lots of time to devote to this project. So far, the Thai academics who have agreed to edit this report will edit without compensation. Hope that situation continues.

No, I won't be selling it. Will make it available as an online reference, probably on a Chiang Mai University website. Still have a long way to go. I'm retired, and I have lots of time to devote to this project. So far, the Thai academics who have agreed to edit this report will edit without compensation. Hope that situation continues.

it's a super job many thanks - BTW I wasn't critisising about selling it - I wanted to buy one! :)

• 3 weeks later...

kam-mueng.pdf

It would also be very helpful to enlist the support of a local Chiang Mai person who reads the Lanna script and regularly uses the Lanna computer font.

I wasn't aware of any non-Graphite Unicode fonts for the Lanna script. I know Peter Constable, now of Microsoft ('Senior Program Manager Lead in in Windows globalization at Microsoft') has a copy of the MFL dictionary (first edition) and took an interest in the encoding of the script (we were doing pre-submission reviews of at least one of the encoding proposals), but he hasn't mentioned diverting resources to support the script. That's why I've been working in LibreOffice, because when I started no maintained browser supported Graphite. It's now possible to enable Firefox to use Graphite.

I had bemoaned my lack of Tai Lue Lanna script materials, but I've suddenly found the last resource I expected - Tai Lue karaoke subtitles in the Lanna script! Just search for "Dai Lue song" on Youtube. Some have subtitles (not transcription) in Thai in case you can't follow the Tai Lue accent. A few of the videos start with New Tai Lue script as well - I was surprised by how different the styling of the 'unchanged' consonants is.

The spelling of Tai Lue is a bit different, and some of the videos show Tai Khuen tendencies in spelling and font.