EURO 2012: NBTC Slaps Fine On TrueVisions

webfact

EURO 2012

NBTC slaps fine on TrueVisions

The Nation

30183927-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission's broadcasting committee agreed to impose penalties on TrueVisions and called for the immediate end to pending actions that take consumers as "hostages".

The penalties followed TrueVision’s failure to get the Euro 2012 re-broadcasting signal from free TV operators and its failure to fulfill promises to subscribers, the committee said in a statement.

Natee Sukonrat, an NBTC commissioner and chairman of the broadcasting committee, said that for failure to get the re-broadcasting signal, TrueVisions violated the NBTC instruction on June 7 that it must fulfill its promises to subscribers.

At today’s meeting, the committee also came up with two other resolutions, aimed at preventing another broadcasting mishap.

First, TV operators’ past behaviours which influence market competition and consumers would be a factor in future licensing rules.

Second, the sub-committee on consumer protection must launch an investigation into the fact why some consumers do not have access to the Euro 2012 broadcasting.

"The mishap shows the exploitation of legal loopholes, by taking consumers hostages for business interests. Though this concerns a private-to-private negotiation, they should be concerned about the impacts on the general public and consumers. The broadcasting committee is calling for an end of any action, which are affecting or depriving the rights of consumers. These issues would be used to consider future licensing," Natee said.

Though the tournament started on June 8, TrueVisions has not yet been successful in getting the re-broadcasting signal. Those watching free TV channels through its network are offered replacement programmes, when the channels broadcast the matches.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-11

TrueVisions today announced service upgrade to all subscribers, during June 10-July 11. Those with Platinum package will be entitled to the 9-channel A La Carte package, the Gold Package will have access to the Platinum Package, and those with other packages can access True Sports channels. /BKK Post

NBTC resolved to fine TrueVisions Bt20,000 per day for not airing #Euro2012 until they can televise the matches /ThaiPBS

GMM's latest statement: TrueVisions subscribers will face black screen indefinitely until Uefa's decision by this week." /The Nation

How about also slapping some fines on GMM for denying TrueVisions the re-broadcasting rights although the EURO games are already broadcast on free-to-air TV? I think GMM is just as much to blame for this absurd situation as TrueVisions.

Why fine gmm?fine channel 3.5,7 for blocking signal to true,on the other hand we don't know what kind of contract true has with ch.3,5 and 7.gmm did not do anything wrong,they bought the rights and share with channel 3,5 and 7,if they don't want to share with true out of whatever reason it's up to gmm

How about also slapping some fines on GMM for denying TrueVisions the re-broadcasting rights although the EURO games are already broadcast on free-to-air TV? I think GMM is just as much to blame for this absurd situation as TrueVisions.

Why should they. If you paid the money would you let me rebroadcast? Your a fan, they are not. It's all about the money, and 20,000 per day is nothing to true. That is less than 10 platinum subscriber fee's a day. And when will it be over? You do the math.

giggle.gif Maybe NBTC are in the GMM pockets? giggle.gif

Still can't work out how they can force True to pay to access their network, when it isn't them cutting off the signal.

This is surely akin to putting a gun to True's head, to pay for something which by definition is free.

And it isn't as though I love True at all, but it isn't them cutting off the signal, it is Grammy/domestic channels.

I hear people with sattelite dishes (one-off payment with no monthly fees) can't watch the Euros either (on the free thai channels).

Is that True Visions' fault or is it GMM's?

GMM bought the rights for the euro2012 and shares with channel 3,5 and 7 under the condion that sat signal will be encrypted.They paid 400million bt,so why they should they share with everybody?Whats the point of spending a lot of money for the broadcast rights if everybody can broadcast or watch for free?

exactly
  • Like 1

..........True makes HUGE profits and was not willing to share some cost with others in order for us to have a working TV.

True made a mistake and they will have to pay for it.

Obviously some people cant read annual reports :)

I agree with other posters, this is a strange case. The IP belongs with Grammy, but NBTC are forcing True to broadcast ........... TIT

Why should they. If you paid the money would you let me rebroadcast? Your a fan, they are not. It's all about the money, and 20,000 per day is nothing to true. That is less than 10 platinum subscriber fee's a day. And when will it be over? You do the math.

Well, even more, the issue is why should True be forced to pay? It is free. It is their network, if they don't want to pay, it is up to them to deal with their subscribers, if the subscribers don't like it, they will cancel. simple

If True were to do that, they could then pirate the signal to its paying customers at no additional charges circumventing the original complaint....

Great, I want to watch EURO 2012, so True give me constant reruns of 'Everyone loves Raymond' and the Kardasions do something utterly pointless and banal, again and again and again. I cancelled platinum because they stopped showing ASN [or whatever it was called, the one showing American football and ice hockey] because I don't want to watch the mindless trivia the platinum package gives you. It's decisions like this that make me feel this company is being run by idiots. I knew they were greedy shysters, but this latest move is idiotic. They don't have EURO 2012 because they thought that they would get it for free by letting GMM pay for it. Greedy, self serving short term thinking. They are now whining because this approach has bit them on the ass. I'm quiting True and looking into the other options out there. Not GMM though, just as bad as True.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The good thing about not having the footie on True is that I will not have to endure the pain of watching Woy and his boys getting sent home at the end of the qualifiers , because those who believe England can go all the way are either fools or spend all day drinking the thai whiskey. True have upgraded me today for a month which leaves me more than happy !!!!!

• Like 2

......'hit and miss'.......like so many things.....

.....no volume control or regulation, as the volume jumps up and down 200 times a day.....

..picture refresh...or whatever else....channel 102 will freeze every 5 minutes for 10-30 seconds....

....the channel schedules are sometimes not updated for 6-12 hours....

...no responsibility.........no accountability....

...try calling....once I tried unsuccessfully for over 1 hour.....

ridiculous fine: 20,000 THB/day. It should be at least the tenfold! No one inn TRUE will bother about that peanut-fine! Subscribers will continue to be held hostage. Another proposal is to cancel all rights to TRUE with immediate effect. See what will happen then? TRUE has always been a true problem!

Why is most of you..... the Americans think that you have the best sports in the world...1zgarz5.gif now first It isn't soccer it's football as most football countries would tell you this.

Second I would say about 80% of people on this topic are football fans not NFL but don't get me wrong I do like to watch some sports in America.

And to get back on the post It is True Move that are at fault here because they thought that they would get it for free by letting GMM pay for the broadcasting rights and just sitting back thinking owe well it's free channel so free broadcasting Greedy ass wipes.

I'm certainly not a big fan of True but if they don't have legal access to the programmes, how can they re-broadcast them?

The NBTC ordering True to broadcast the games, seemingly illegally, reminds me of King Canute ordering back the waves.

True should have paid for the access but they refused. They were hoping that the NBTC would "allow" them to show the EURO 12 fro free.

True makes HUGE profits and was not willing to share some cost with others in order for us to have a working TV.

True made a mistake and they will have to pay for it.

Talking about HUGE profits: do you think Thaksin has a hand in TRUE?

The NBTC cannot fine Grammy because it does not have the power to regulate purely pay-tv services, and so there is a political element in this as it wants re-write the rules to bring such operators into its ambit.

Although it can slap a fine on True for not following its instruction to show the free to air channels, I would think that this decision could be up for judicial review, and NBTC may lose as they were in fact ordering a company to do something against the copyright owners, and this is a thorny issue at the moment in both internal and international politics.

NBTC also has the power over the terrestrial channels (3,5,7,9) and should be slapping them also with a fine for selectively denying content which is forbidden under the terms of their license.

The fact is that if Grammy had not decided to let the terrestrial channels have the feed for free then this would have been just one private company (Grammy) beating another private company (True) to an exclusive content deal.

In many countries there is a select list of sporting occasions that have to be broadcast free to air, but these are usually involving the national teams, national sporting events, or international tournaments where the home country is competing - such as the Olympics.

That is not the case here, and it would be doubtful if the NBTC were to be allowed to have the power to demand a free to air allocation for tournaments not held in Thailand, that do not have any Thai national interest taking part - but this seems to be what the NBTC is trying to do here.

A case of petty civil servants wishing to increase their power base.

Crobe

Edited by crobe
  • Like 1

I hope to see True being fined more frequently for failing to live up to promises.

me too but then for something more substantial than 20,000 THB/day, which is not even the price of what I pay as single subscriber for 1 year! This is tea money! I will cancel my TRUE contract and look for internet alternatives which are only 12% of the TRUE cost! TRUE, a true pain in the ass... bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

• Like 1