Dangers For Dogs

laosuwan

I would never let your dogs off the lead in rural areas even when it looks perfectly safe to do so. Apparently the locals use all sorts of poisons on rice fields and in general use so nowhere is safe.

Recently had a a lab die on one of the most beatiful walks,which consisted of walking along side a river and then a klong surrounded by rice fields, not another dog or other dangers to be seen but somewhere she picked up some poison and was dead within 25 mins of me realizing something was wrong.

Wow, really sorry to hear about your dog. That is a tough one. There are no rice fields where our house is, just tea and bamboo forest. Supposedly that is all organic.

Nice Golden,

When you bathe your dog do you use a special shampoo for ticks and fleas or are you using an ointment such as Frontline

( Frontline Plus is called Frontline Combo in the U.K but contain the same active ingredients ) that you apply between the shoulder blades every month?

Ive had a lot of problems with ticks lost 1 dog to anaplasmosis which was disheartening now have a new dog and have had it vaccinated but the vaccination seems to be as deadly as the ticks so now im only using Advocate which treats most the nasties. Snakes are another problem 3 in the last 2 months one being a cobra

Frontline is good for ticks but not really for fleas. Advocate is great with fleas, will take them out of the entire house in four days, but does not affect ticks, you need to use both. We usually apply about four days apart, no bathing four days before or after. so dogs can get in a swim roughly anytime two weeks on, two weeks off.

They are using it for the edges of the rice fields so they can burn off the grass quickly and prepare the rice fields. and also to clear the mountains quickly for rubber production. to clear grass in orchards too, The rice fields get some nasty stuff to kill snails anyway . Just about every conceivable place. never seen it used like this before. I guess its cheap and easy , but its effectively a blanket operation in our Valley

Wow, not good. Sounds like agrabusiness. Do you know about the big reservoirs, like Mae Suai? The water looks pure and people say there is no problem to go in for a swim, but now I am starting to wonder.

Like Sceadugenda says, probably no more dangerous than swimming in Thai Beer. I've swam in the mekhong myself and God knows what's in there.

Its no secret pesticides are used on just about anything here. Its just one of my pet hates, the Planet Seems to cope ,its just a little bit scary is all ;-)

Last week a young Guy came round to a neighbours place where I was sitting with a Chemical spray thing on his back. he was probably just trying to use the last remnants and proudly sprayed around the hedge of the garden , expecting praise from what I suspect was his grandmother. he could have cleared it with a knife just as quick but thats by the by. 5 mins later he was gone ,probably straight back to the Internet cafe from whence he came. The grandmother tried desperately to revive what was left of her herb garden with copious amounts of water. its like, hey this sh*t is good it turns everything brown quickly and you can burn it.

Heart worm is indeed another worry for dogs. Intestinal parasites, as well, can be a problem for dogs that run free and have an adventurous pallet. We treat our outside dogs for both, in addition to ticks and flees. Our Golden sleeps inside so encounters mosquitoes no more often than I do, so we don’t consider her to be at risk.

Nice Golden,

When you bathe your dog do you use a special shampoo for ticks and fleas or are you using an ointment such as Frontline

( Frontline Plus is called Frontline Combo in the U.K but contain the same active ingredients ) that you apply between the shoulder blades every month?

Looks like I somehow missed this post. Yes, we use a flea and tick shampoo available in supermarkets and pet stores. Usually once a week after a long swim in the pond. We also use Frontline when it seems necessary but that means no swimming for a while.

Nice Golden,

Ive had a lot of problems with ticks lost 1 dog to anaplasmosis which was disheartening now have a new dog and have had it vaccinated but the vaccination seems to be as deadly as the ticks so now im only using Advocate which treats most the nasties. Snakes are another problem 3 in the last 2 months one being a cobra

Frontline is good for ticks but not really for fleas. Advocate is great with fleas, will take them out of the entire house in four days, but does not affect ticks, you need to use both. We usually apply about four days apart, no bathing four days before or after. so dogs can get in a swim roughly anytime two weeks on, two weeks off.

Frontline works great. Just don't use Promerus Duo for ticks. We tried that once and it nearly killed all 4 of our dogs.

People are by far the greatest threat to dogs. Reckless and inconsiderate driving or malice motivated by fear. Weed killer is used excessively part of the year so it is best to keep an eye out for signs of spraying. On our walks we are charged and barked at as we walk past the sois that belong to other dogs. That is just dogs doing their job and we try to stop and make friends. Some are just too fearful, while others will get close enough for a sniff and tail wag.

Got to agree with VF. Chemicals must be a real threat, nobody seems to cut the grass around our way anymore, they just spray and then burn it off.

I've been guilty of reckless and inconsiderate driving too, ran straight over two dogs in one week in the early years in the pickup. then another that I startled with one blow of the Horn.

I give multiple blows of the Horn these days which seems to do the trick.

I couldn't help the Dog that I witnessed ran over while sleeping in the road by a Bus at dawn last year and did have to dispatch one of my own Dogs a couple of years back with a matok after he had ran under the wheels of the inconsiderate Schoolbus driver who was travelling with an excessive speed of over 10kph.

Must not forget I ran straight over a dog last year on the motorbike that rushed across the road in a flash and straight under my wheels. So I guess we need to be more considerate to Dogs or maybe keep the F****** things off the Roads

I also have been barked at many times by the local Soi Dogs who just want to sniff my balls or something, mostly its harmess fun, I did beat one over the head with a stick that I found at the side of the road which had a beautiful balance and reminded me of a 3 wood. but only because it was showing its teeth and wasn't going to let me pass , I guess that was malice motivated by my undue fear and was an Isolated incident. Although there is a local dog who wants to make friends with me at the moment by showing its teeth and running towards the motorbike, I'm in two minds wether to show it my balls directly or beat it around the head with a stick with a nice balance.

So I guess if you keep your Dog on a leash or in your own walled garden away from Chemicals and inconsiderate drivers they will be fine smile.png

So you've run over 4 dogs and beat one? You sound like a real animal lover.

People are by far the greatest threat to dogs. Reckless and inconsiderate driving or malice motivated by fear. Weed killer is used excessively part of the year so it is best to keep an eye out for signs of spraying. On our walks we are charged and barked at as we walk past the sois that belong to other dogs. That is just dogs doing their job and we try to stop and make friends. Some are just too fearful, while others will get close enough for a sniff and tail wag.

Got to agree with VF. Chemicals must be a real threat, nobody seems to cut the grass around our way anymore, they just spray and then burn it off.

I've been guilty of reckless and inconsiderate driving too, ran straight over two dogs in one week in the early years in the pickup. then another that I startled with one blow of the Horn.

I couldn't help the Dog that I witnessed ran over while sleeping in the road by a Bus at dawn last year and did have to dispatch one of my own Dogs a couple of years back with a matok after he had ran under the wheels of the inconsiderate Schoolbus driver who was travelling with an excessive speed of over 10kph.

Must not forget I ran straight over a dog last year on the motorbike that rushed across the road in a flash and straight under my wheels. So I guess we need to be more considerate to Dogs or maybe keep the F****** things off the Roads

I also have been barked at many times by the local Soi Dogs who just want to sniff my balls or something, mostly its harmess fun, I did beat one over the head with a stick that I found at the side of the road which had a beautiful balance and reminded me of a 3 wood. but only because it was showing its teeth and wasn't going to let me pass , I guess that was malice motivated by my undue fear and was an Isolated incident. Although there is a local dog who wants to make friends with me at the moment by showing its teeth and running towards the motorbike, I'm in two minds wether to show it my balls directly or beat it around the head with a stick with a nice balance.

So I guess if you keep your Dog on a leash or in your own walled garden away from Chemicals and inconsiderate drivers they will be fine smile.png

In this case I think he is. It is only responsible to keep the dog inside your own boundaries. Dogs sleeping in the middle of the road are a risk for themselves and the driver or rider.

I do not want to have to kill a dog that I have ran over but it better than leaving it in agony. THankfully I have not needed to yet although it has come close.

El jefe, I usually employ a Guy to walk in front of my Vehicle with a Flag. Its a Hard Job and I can't seem to keep them. One Guy ran away to work in a salt mine in Siberia, One guy actually dispatched himself with a matok after a 2000 mile round trip holding that Flag. I've actually ran over more of these Guys than Dogs.

I would never call myself an Animal Lover thankfully. But I did watch a Dutch Movie once

Edited by jubby

In this case I think he is. It is only responsible to keep the dog inside your own boundaries. Dogs sleeping in the middle of the road are a risk for themselves and the driver or rider.

I do not want to have to kill a dog that I have ran over but it better than leaving it in agony. THankfully I have not needed to yet although it has come close.

Harry, That's a very low standard you've set for being considered an animal lover -- The only requirement is you need to think dogs should be kept "inside your boundaries." You don't even have to own a dog.

You've never hit a dog, yet Jubby has run over 4 of them and beaten one because he thought violence was the only solution. Jubby either drives too fast or doesn't pay attention. I'm just repeating Jubby said, "I've been guilty of reckless and inconsiderate driving too". Is it safe for anyuone to be on the road when jubby is behind the wheel?

And, yes, let's promote violence.

Edited by el jefe
  • Like 1

Harry, That's a very low standard you've set for being considered an animal lover -- if you think dogs should be kept "inside your boundaries." You don't even have to own a dog.

You've never hit a dog, yet Jubby has run over 4 of them and beaten one because he thought violence was the only solution. Jubby either drives too fast or doesn't pay attention. I'm just repeating Jubby said, "I've been guilty of reckless and inconsiderate driving too". Is it safe for anyuone to be on the road when jubby is behind the wheel?

And, yes, let's promote violence.

No one owns a dog they own you.

And jubby lives in a country area where the dogs are renowned for sleeping on the road. Ilive in a metropolitan area of Chiangrai. There is a large difference to the driving conditions.

So Jefe as an Animal lover what would you have done if your pet Dog was ran over by the School Bus and crawled about a meter to your gate . Using only its front legs as its lower torso was squashed before collapsing in some sort of involuntary Spasm. ? seriously I'm genuinely interested in your non Violent Solution. ?

I killed two chickens yesterday with my matok too, that I found that had become overcome by some form of sickness. The Ants had already started devouring them. What would have been your Non Violent Solution as a So called Amimal Lover ?

We have 4 soi dogs and one inbred Shepherd...none ever leave the farm except to go rutting ...come back after a few days....no collars etc

Don't think purebreds are a good idea in Thailand..too many killers out there...

lost two dogs to cobra.. a puppy to my driving ( asleep under the wheels), one killed by other dogs....one shot from passing motorbike it was chasing ( missed major organs and 10k bt later... fine).......ongoing problems with mange,ticks and cattle fly borers with Shepherd.

So Jefe as an Animal lover what would you have done if your pet Dog was ran over by the School Bus and crawled about a meter to your gate . Using only its front legs as its lower torso was squashed before collapsing in some sort of involuntary Spasm. ? seriously I'm genuinely interested in your non Violent Solution. ?

I killed two chickens yesterday with my matok too, that I found that had become overcome by some form of sickness. The Ants had already started devouring them. What would have been your Non Violent Solution as a So called Amimal Lover ?

yes, it's difficult to put an animal out of its misery and suffering.

But that's not what my comments were about at all.

You've ended the lives of 4 dogs because of your "reckless and inconsiderate driving" and beat another with a stick because you couldn't figure out how to walk past it without using violence.

How did it make you feel to kill a defenseless animal? seriously I'm genuinely interested in your comments.

PS - I have no idea what you're talking about in the other thread when you refer to an "Animal Lover" owning and selling a condo in Bangkok. I've never lived there.

'Reckless and inconsiderate driving ' . firstly I was being Sarcastic. The first 2 dogs were accidents, just came out of nowhere. the third was my fault. I attempted to warn it with a beep of the horn but startled it and it ran under the Pickup. The 4th dog ran straight across the road and under the wheel of my motorbike in a flash, luckily I wasn't killed myself.

I hit a very aggresive Dog with a stick but didn't Kill it. I did put my own Dog out of its misery. it made me feel bad but I didn't want it to suffer. there could be others I can't recall all the incidents. I have near misses every week, several blast of the horn seems to work most of the time.

I've witnessed a pack of neighbourhood Dogs rip several of my geese apart in front of my eyes for Fun. I've witnessed my own dog kill 20+ chickens in one night for fun. Hey, I'm not a great fan of Thai Dogs ..............

I've no idea where you live or have lived . your not the Only Animal Lover on here.ermm.gif

'Reckless and inconsiderate driving ' . firstly I was being Sarcastic. The first 2 dogs were accidents, just came out of nowhere. the third was my fault. I attempted to warn it with a beep of the horn but startled it and it ran under the Pickup. The 4th dog ran straight across the road and under the wheel of my motorbike in a flash, luckily I wasn't killed myself.

I hit a very aggresive Dog with a stick but didn't Kill it. I did put my own Dog out of its misery. it made me feel bad but I didn't want it to suffer. there could be others I can't recall all the incidents. I have near misses every week, several blast of the horn seems to work most of the time.

I've witnessed a pack of neighbourhood Dogs rip several of my geese apart in front of my eyes for Fun. I've witnessed my own dog kill 20+ chickens in one night for fun. Hey, I'm not a great fan of Thai Dogs ..............

I've no idea where you live or have lived . your not the Only Animal Lover on here.ermm.gif

If thai dogs ripped your geese apart I have more respect for them that the large amount I have now. Geese are one of the most aggressive and nastiest animals I know.

Seriously I know you do not want any of the animals to suffer. It is a pity that such smart animals cannot seem to learn to stay off roads more.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. These dogs are not Smart. I see many imported breeds on my travels at the side of the road, they seem to have some sort of sense that the thai Dogs lack. I swear I've seen them look both ways when attempting to cross the road . But the typical Thai dog likes to sleep in the road and are very reluctant to move for traffic, yeah you can slow down and try to anticipate which way they are going to go.

One Goose can hold its own against one Dog smile.png

El jefe, I usually employ a Guy to walk in front of my Vehicle with a Flag. Its a Hard Job and I can't seem to keep them. One Guy ran away to work in a salt mine in Siberia, One guy actually dispatched himself with a matok after a 2000 mile round trip holding that Flag. I've actually ran over more of these Guys than Dogs.

I would never call myself an Animal Lover thankfully. But I did watch a Dutch Movie once

Thanks Jubby My LOL of the day. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Moments before I was set upon by five dogs looking like this.

Dogs%2520%2520003.jpg

When I turned the camera on them, they got all shy on me.

Dogs%2520%2520001%2520%25281%2529.jpg

After a quick sniff and a pat on the head...

Dogs%2520%2520002.jpg

I rode off without anyone taking notice.

Dogs%2520%2520004.jpg

I suppose I could have resorted to violence but beat them senseless but I couldn't see the point. They were only doing their job, protecting their owner and his stuff.wink.png

Can you give further description of snake encounters where,what time of day etc

Thanks

one was a cobra that managed to get into the maids accommodation then into the chicken basket that was in the evening the other 2 were harmless but still scarey it was during the day mostly because it is hot.