Phuket Raid Uncovers Illegal Beach Resort

webfact

Phuket raid uncovers illegal beach resort

Phuket Gazette

r1.jpeg

The small resort under construction occupies 900 square meters on Phuket's pristine Tri Trang Beach. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

r2.jpeg

Phuket Marine Office chief Phuripat Theerakulpisut ordered the structures be removed within 30 days. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Marine Office officials yesterday arrested nine Burmese workers who were found building a small resort on Tri Trang Beach, on the headland south of Patong.

Although the officers, led by Phuket Marine Office chief Phuripat Theerakulpisut, could not determine the “owner” of the buildings, the workers were ordered to demolish the structures within 30 days.

The buildings under construction included a restaurant, guest rooms and a beachfront rock wall to prevent waves from reaching the structures.

Patong Police officers who joined the raid charged the nine workers for illegal construction in a public area.

“When we arrived here, we found the Burmese workers building on 900 square meters of land, including the beach itself,” he said.

Mr Phuripat said the raid was the result of complaints from people he did not identify.

He also explained that any construction on public land without permission from officials was deemed illegal under Section 117 of the Navigation in Thai Waters Act B.E. 2546.

“Therefore, Marine Office in Phuket was ordered to demolish all constriction that trespasses on public areas. Everything has to be removed within 30 days.

“If the contractor fails to remove all of the structures within the stipulated period, we will press further charges,” Mr Phuripat warned.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16174.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-13

“Therefore, Marine Office in Phuket was ordered to demolish all constriction that trespasses on public areas. Everything has to be removed within 30 days.

“If the contractor fails to remove all of the structures within the stipulated period, we will press further charges,” Mr Phuripat warned.

If this statement is sincere, and not just opening the door for the backhanders as expected,then why they don't just bulldozer it like they would do in any western country.

“If the contractor fails to remove all of the structures within the stipulated period, we will press further charges,” Mr Phuripat warned LOL

So if the contractor doesn't pay up right away it will cost him more teamoney.

• Like 1

What is missing from this story is images from the whole fenced off beach front of Tri Trang beach with 'No Trespassing/Private Property signs posted all along the beach. Good news that this action has been taken, but maybe this comparatively small development is just in the way of someone/something BIGGER!

Surely this structure didn't appear over night. Why take so long to do anything about it? Charging the Burmese and letting the mastermind get away! For sure the boss is Thai and has some influence so that the poor workers cop all the flack!

• Like 1

If this statement is sincere, and not just opening the door for the backhanders as expected,then why they don't just bulldozer it like they would do in any western country.

“If the contractor fails to remove all of the structures within the stipulated period, we will press further charges,” Mr Phuripat warned LOL

So if the contractor doesn't pay up right away it will cost him more teamoney.

It is simply not true that they would just bulldoze it in western countries. In the UK, structures like this are ordered to be removed within a certain timeframe. This often drags on for years before being resolved. So get you facts straight before you try to pretend that Thailand is any worse than western countries. Even in London there are 1000s of illegal buildings that the authorities know about but don't have the time or resources to target.

• Like 1

Follow the money. Burmese labourers> vontractor> middle men> protected influential person. That 30 days to knock down is a joke. It should be, you'll get 3 years for encroaching unless you give up the guy above you, but of course that won't happen.

• Like 1

Marine Police?

He also explained that any construction on public land without permission from officials was deemed illegal under Section 117 of the Navigation in Thai Waters Act B.E. 2546.

Yes, the structure is so low on the beach the marine police has authority over this.

Now people are complaining: too late, why are the Burmese apprehended, etc., in stead of being glad that something is being done.

The point is nothing is being done about it, do you think the 9 Burmese workers had a clue that it was an illegal building, charging them is a joke. Arrest the money man as i am sure they know who he is.

The contractor/moneyman was there until just before the raid and the 350,000 Baht vibrator in his underwear went off giving him a thrill as well as run, run warning....

Looks like a pretty solid structure to me. Couldn't we just chase away the Burmese labourers and use it as a shelter for the jetski operators? I can already see a nice corner space there for an ATM. :rolleyes:

The point is nothing is being done about it, do you think the 9 Burmese workers had a clue that it was an illegal building, charging them is a joke. Arrest the money man as i am sure they know who he is.

Yes, I'm sure they know who it is, he is apparently a wanted man at the moment.

Edited by stevenl

Yes, I'm sure they know who it is, he is apparently a wanted man at the moment.

Yes; 'Wanted, for not paying the bribe he'd arranged'. Blxxxy typical bullshit, from the so called 'authorities', unless someone has discovered very, very, quick setting concrete.

Just love it when all the experts on LoS chime in with their anglo summations = fact is, if you don't know how to do business in Thailand, go back to your own country - anyone stupid enough to let the lawyers and the land speculators handle their business deserves to lose every penny he/she has...............BTW I was very successful in making money legally in Thailand so you can drop the cynicism whistling.gif; fact remains they started construction without all the paperwork, probably disregarded the wrong person..............BTW, I am now investing in Kao Yai - you know, the National Park?? all the "illegal resorts" that were being torn down because they were being built on "Federal Land"??? gonna cost a bundle for building permits but in the end; I will have my 'Crippled Crocodile' fishing camp.........

Stay Tuned..............TunnelRat69

• Like 1

Just love it when all the experts on LoS chime in with their anglo summations = fact is, if you don't know how to do business in Thailand, go back to your own country - anyone stupid enough to let the lawyers and the land speculators handle their business deserves to lose every penny he/she has...............BTW I was very successful in making money legally in Thailand so you can drop the cynicism whistling.gif; fact remains they started construction without all the paperwork, probably disregarded the wrong person..............BTW, I am now investing in Kao Yai - you know, the National Park?? all the "illegal resorts" that were being torn down because they were being built on "Federal Land"??? gonna cost a bundle for building permits but in the end; I will have my 'Crippled Crocodile' fishing camp.........

Stay Tuned..............TunnelRat69

You need a bigger TRUMPET