Thaksin Vows To Be Fierce On Corruption

Jai Dee

CORRUPTION: PM: We’ll be fierce in Year of Dog

thaksin2.jpg

Promises to get tough with corrupt officials; swears off ‘playing politics’. The Year of the Dog has special significance for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who yesterday warned provincial governors he was embarking on a campaign to punish corrupt officials. “This year is the Year of the Dog. [The government] will be fierce [with corrupt officials], very fierce. Do not say that I have not warned you. I will take action against whoever is involved with secret corrupt schemes,” he said.

Over 400 ministers, permanent secretaries and provincial governors attended Thaksin’s address at Government House.

The government has formed a special anti-corruption task force to check graft charges in certain places, he said. “Some places take 10 per cent as graft money, some businessmen told me,” he said.

To curb the vice, the government will organise “e-auctions [electronic auctions]”. A simulated e-auction will be demonstrated on February 1.

“It will not have bidding through the Internet as that will not prevent collusion,” he said. “We will have a station for auctions to be carried out face-to-face,” he said.

He urged provincial governors to come to him if any influential people harass them. “All provincial projects will see a 40-per-cent improvement if there is no corruption or red tape,” he said.

Thaksin conceded his bid to infuse a CEO-form of administration had failed because governors could not translate strategies into action. The meeting yesterday analysed how they could achieve success, he said.

Thaksin said he would stop “playing politics” over the next two years to focus on his duties before preparing for the next general election in 2009.

“Whoever wants to play politics may play. Play to your heart’s content. [but] I will not. I will concentrate on performing my duties or I cannot defeat poverty. In the last half of 2009, I will focus on politics because of the upcoming general election,” he said.

Thaksin also told Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak that he was unhappy with the pace of economic reforms.

He said reform plans had been further delayed and the result could be a lower GDP. He gave Somkid three months to deliver “effective economic reforms”.

Source: The Nation - January 07, 2006