90 Day Reporting - Comments And Experiences

Tywais

The only reason people aren't getting their new reporting notices back is because immigration isn't returning them - plain and simple. And it's not just because of being inefficient and/or incompetent since an average 10 year old could easily handle something as simple as this and in 5 minutes or less.

In any case, the answer to ending all these unnecessary problems is to do away with this idiotic 90 reporting requirement when someone has a valid marriage or retirement visa and only require they notify immigration if they have a change in residence. Of course, the problem with this is it is too logical and would lessen the inconvenience and aggravation they get to put us through and we couldn't have any of that now could we?

This is a very good idea and won't be implemented for the reasons you stated. One more reason is that it suffers from NIH or "Not Invented Here." By definition a farang cannot have an idea that would improve something the Thais do. Only the Thais can do that.

Sounds to me you are more interested in your self than how well the Thais do. Last time in there had my papers walked in at 12:25 done at 12:27. You might want to try being prepared. Any how what has a retiree got to do that is so all important he can't report in every 90 days. If he has a business as ulysses G does send a member of his staff. Or if he wishes to just mail it in do as elektrified suggested and send a return envelope that has a registered sticker on it.

If you want real inconvenience try getting a visa to Canada or the States for your wife if she dosen't have property or a business. Two trips to Bangkok for my friend whose wife owns a sugar cane cane plantation and a house here in Chiang Mai to go to Canada. His chances of the states would be far less.

I am beginning to think that a lot of these complaints are coming from Thai bashers who don't want to be to obvious.

Can someone translate "you are more interested in your self than how well the Thais do"? It makes about as much sense as the 90 day reporting requirement.

I would also like to know how many have shown up during lunch hour at 12:25 and gotten their 90 day reporting papers taken care of in 2 minutes?

I'm guessing we will get a total of one and If it actually happened, it woulbe be about as rare as clear skies in March/April. Telling people they can be in and out if immigration, especially during lunch hour, is doing a disservice to those seeking reliable information on this forum. Please report the next time you show up during lunch hour to do your 90 day reporting and let us know how well it went for you. Maybe you can get it down to 1 minute next time if they are in a good mood and not that busy.

• Like 1

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only reason people aren't getting their new reporting notices back is because immigration isn't returning them - plain and simple. And it's not just because of being inefficient and/or incompetent since an average 10 year old could easily handle something as simple as this and in 5 minutes or less.

In any case, the answer to ending all these unnecessary problems is to do away with this idiotic 90 reporting requirement when someone has a valid marriage or retirement visa and only require they notify immigration if they have a change in residence. Of course, the problem with this is it is too logical and would lessen the inconvenience and aggravation they get to put us through and we couldn't have any of that now could we?

This is a very good idea and won't be implemented for the reasons you stated. One more reason is that it suffers from NIH or "Not Invented Here." By definition a farang cannot have an idea that would improve something the Thais do. Only the Thais can do that.

Sounds to me you are more interested in your self than how well the Thais do. Last time in there had my papers walked in at 12:25 done at 12:27. You might want to try being prepared. Any how what has a retiree got to do that is so all important he can't report in every 90 days. If he has a business as ulysses G does send a member of his staff. Or if he wishes to just mail it in do as elektrified suggested and send a return envelope that has a registered sticker on it.

If you want real inconvenience try getting a visa to Canada or the States for your wife if she dosen't have property or a business. Two trips to Bangkok for my friend whose wife owns a sugar cane cane plantation and a house here in Chiang Mai to go to Canada. His chances of the states would be far less.

I am beginning to think that a lot of these complaints are coming from Thai bashers who don't want to be to obvious.

Can someone translate "you are more interested in your self than how well the Thais do"? It makes about as much sense as the 90 day reporting requirement.

I would also like to know how many have shown up during lunch hour at 12:25 and gotten their 90 day reporting papers taken care of in 2 minutes?

I'm guessing we will get a total of one and If it actually happened, it woulbe be about as rare as clear skies in March/April. Telling people they can be in and out if immigration, especially during lunch hour, is doing a disservice to those seeking reliable information on this forum. Please report the next time you show up during lunch hour to do your 90 day reporting and let us know how well it went for you. Maybe you can get it down to 1 minute next time if they are in a good mood and not that busy.

You will have to wait 180 days as the next time I go it will be fore my renewal. Are you trying to say you went in at 12:25 and had to wait. I just report my experience. You are obviously new here as there has been many posters talking about getting theirs at lunch time and in the afternoons very quick. You can come in the morning and get in line but it is not that bad since they took the Burmese out of that line. Part of the problem for the early comers is they have to get in line and often the people ahead of the are not prepared and have to go to the back to get copies.

The last time in I waited one and a half hours that was when they were taking the Burmese there. The time before five minutes at 11:00 an the time before that was I came early and got number 17 they opened up at 8:30 and I was out of there by 9:15.

You want a explanation for.

"Can someone translate "you are more interested in your self than how well the Thais do"? It makes about as much sense as the 90 day reporting requirement."

Simple you are clueless as to what they d there to think it is just a matter of stamping it without checking the dates. They also have a stack of mailed in ones to do. To you it is ll about you to them it it a job that deals with many people and some of them are not ready and have to be held by the hand. Some of them are late and have to make payments and some of them are just plain ignorant pric s.

By the way that was the second time in a row they worked during there lunch hour the time before I had already waited a hour and a half and at 12:00 he looked up and said you and you. I was the second one you.

There now that I have explained honestly with you my experience maybe you can explain why a retiree gets so bent out of shape by it. In many cases it might be the only time they get out of the house. I don't know. For me it is a outing. I have a book and when it is done walk up to the mall see a show do a little shopping if needs be and go home happy. Not bent out of shape how another country can't changer their law to suit me. When I get so old and infirm I will mail it in or get the wife to take it in. But that is a long way off I am only 70 now.

Edited by hellodolly

Continued complaints about the requirement for the 90-Day report are boorish and don't help anyone. The government is well aware of discontent and so far chooses, we know not why, to change the policy, so deal with it! If anything, think of the miserable clerks who have to deal with miserable foreigners getting in their faces and complaining about something they are in no position to change!

Unfortunately, the title of this thread invites entirely too many useless comments which occasionally erupt in totally unnecessary pissing contests which never provide useful information.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Continued complaints about the requirement for the 90-Day report are boorish and don't help anyone. The government is well aware of discontent and so far chooses, we know not why, to change the policy, so deal with it! If anything, think of the miserable clerks who have to deal with miserable foreigners getting in their faces and complaining about something they are in no position to change!

Unfortunately, the title of this thread invites entirely too many useless comments which occasionally erupt in totally unnecessary pissing contests which never provide useful information.

beatdeadhorse.gif

It is not "policy"... It is part of the Immigration Act. I don't think it is as easy as many foreigners think it is to change...... whether we like it or not. Your post is correct in my opinion.

The Act is available in English on the Immigration Bureau web site.

MSPain

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

Continued complaints about the requirement for the 90-Day report are boorish and don't help anyone. The government is well aware of discontent and so far chooses, we know not why, to change the policy, so deal with it!

You seem to have your adjectives mixed up. Suggesting they should perhaps consider online reporting is logical. Any flogging of the dead horse is repeatedly going over the same scenario. We all know to report by mail now (EMS both ways, 74 baht), and would suggest doing so even if one is applying for EOS at the same time as sometimes they will get you to do it separately.

I haven't read through all the posts, seems like mostly the familiar stuff. I will just relate my experience from yesterday. I keep a completed PDF file of the form on my computer. Downloaded from the Immigration website. All I do is change the date and print.

I went to immigration about 2:10PM, The number system was shut down and they told me to just go to the counter. One person in front of me having some form of difficulty. After he finished mine was processed. In and Out, approximately 10 minutes.

I will add my opinion that the online queue system should not be used for 90 day reports. A waste of reservation space that should be left for more involved procedures.

I will add my opinion that the online queue system should not be used for 90 day reports. A waste of reservation space that should be left for more involved procedures.

The Thai Online queue system could follow a similar time pattern as US Consulate online queue. If you selected an appointment for 90 day reporting, you might then see a choice 4 (15 minutes) or perhaps 6 (10 minutes) time slots per hour. That would allow at least 28 or 42 90 reporting appointments daily.

Vagabond48-

I agree with your idea (and other posts) of what COULD be done. There have been probably hundreds of suggestions over the years pertaining to improving immigration procedures. After many years in this country, I am only stating my actual experience and relating what the reality of their operation is currently.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

The Thai Online queue system could follow a similar time pattern as US Consulate online queue. If you selected an appointment for 90 day reporting, you might then see a choice 4 (15 minutes) or perhaps 6 (10 minutes) time slots per hour. That would allow at least 28 or 42 90 reporting appointments daily.

Well I whole heartedlyy agree with siverhawk about the on line regestering system being used only for renewing the visa. Any one who uses it for the 90 day should be sent to the back of the line.

As for a seperate online regestering system I diisagree. You might get a time and whebn you arrive for it it has passed. How would you figure out the time to allow for eachappointment. Ideally it is present your papers in order a scan of the dates and paper work nd 2 to 4 minutes you are out of there. In practice this works nicley for a lot of cases but there is always one that has t be told what to do they don't have the proper copies and have to go to the building i the back then come back walk up to the front of the line.

The worst I ever did was have to wait a hour and a half and that was when they were doing Buramese at the samje window. I was number 22 down from when I walked in. Previusley my worst was when I got there at 7:30 I got number 17 and walked out at 9:15 that ia ess thazn 3 minutes a aplication.

If a person reads all the posts they will find people walking in at lunch time and being served and people coming in the afternoon without a big wait. Also they can just mail it in.

The big waits come on the renewal visas once a year. My last renewal there was a chap there with a reservation and he still had to wait half a hour.

Suggestion to moderators.

Erase all posts with the exception of mail it in with a self addressed registered return envelope give them the information including the address. Tell them they can take it in if they wish and close the thread.

Erase all posts with the exception of mail it in with a self addressed registered return envelope give them the information including the address. Tell them they can take it in if they wish and close the thread.

I'm sure the mods appreciate your suggestion.

Might be useful to look at the title of the thread; 90 day reporting - comments and experiences.

The thread isn't about mailing in and self addressed envelopes - that is a comment and experience, which makes up part of the thread.

I'm sure the mods appreciate your suggestion.

Might be useful to look at the title of the thread; 90 day reporting - comments and experiences.

The thread isn't about mailing in and self addressed envelopes - that is a comment and experience, which makes up part of the thread.

I agree with your comments The openning post states

The pinned topic, 90 Day Report - Procedures, outlines the requirements.

I was there yesterday, monday, arriving at 2:40 PM. They were not handing out queue tickets so i went to the 2nd window, waited, finally talked to the officer who asked me for my queue ticket (the girl i asked had said to just go to the window). So back to the first window, and by then there were about 10 people (all 90 day reports) needing queue tickets, so the girl went to the machine and handed out tickets.

They were serving 604 and my number was 653.

Of course several numbers had left already, but then at 4pm, a senior officer got up and loudly announced that all visa extensions, etc were done for the day and all officers should now assist 90 day reports. Well, that sped things up and i was out at 4:10.

There were not a lot of burmese (a few), so perhaps that was just a typical monday at the office... i had never been on a monday before and will never go again.

Went in today, tuesday at 9:40 for the 90 day dance. Place was full, oh oh... but got a queue number, only 7 back. Whole process took around 15 minutes.

Heard a rumour there that they are going to stop the mail in. Tried to ask the agent, but couldn't get a coherent answer. Hope it's not true.

Edited by prism

Heard a rumour there that they are going to stop the mail in. Tried to ask the agent, but couldn't get a coherent answer. Hope it's not true.

That makes perfect sense for Thailand. Sending it in is way too convenient.

Edited by Ulysses G.

That makes perfect sense for Thailand. Sending it in is way too convenient.

I have heard from an immigration guy that it's becoming too 'confusing', blaming it on the sender or the post.

Some people always lament the poor, overworked immigration staff.

IMO they create work in order to safeguard their need for job security and not being moved..

A 'zoo' means nothing to them other than security, does anyone think they are worried how long you are there?

Sending it in decreases their workload......I have no doubt it will be stopped.

They must be really pissed off that their queue slots are now only half an hour, can't play on the phone any more.

• Like 1

I was there yesterday, monday, arriving at 2:40 PM. They were not handing out queue tickets so i went to the 2nd window, waited, finally talked to the officer who asked me for my queue ticket (the girl i asked had said to just go to the window). So back to the first window, and by then there were about 10 people (all 90 day reports) needing queue tickets, so the girl went to the machine and handed out tickets.

They were serving 604 and my number was 653.

Of course several numbers had left already, but then at 4pm, a senior officer got up and loudly announced that all visa extensions, etc were done for the day and all officers should now assist 90 day reports. Well, that sped things up and i was out at 4:10.

There were not a lot of burmese (a few), so perhaps that was just a typical monday at the office... i had never been on a monday before and will never go again.

I had heard to avoid Mondays and days before and after holidays. Makes sense to me. Don't know about the second window I always go to the fifth one for 90 day reporting. And have never had much of a wait except when the Burmese were reporting there.

Even when they were reporting there it went fairly fast compared to the time it takes to renew it once a year.

The last time I renewed it I got there early 8:00 signed a sign in sheet and when they started passing out numbers I got number 17. 20 minutes later they announced any one with a number over 17 come back this afternoon.

IMO they create work in order to safeguard their need for job security and not being moved..

A 'zoo' means nothing to them other than security, does anyone think they are worried how long you are there?

They must be really pissed off that their queue slots are now only half an hour, can't play on the phone any more.

I guess I will have to step in for the immigration staff.

Bureaucrats are pretty close to the same throughout the world. Having practiced law in the US for 27 years and working in state government for a portion of that time, I have met more than my share of them. And doing a bit of international travel, I have had to deal with a fair number of immigration officials from various countries and cultures. The Thai immigrations staff do not seem to be significantly worse or better than the average I have dealt with. (Well, with the exception of TSA. Thais are much better). There will always be slackers and there will be those that go out of their way to help you. Strangely enough, I have run into far more of the latter than the former.

As for the Chiang Mai staff, I read all the complaints here in the forum and wait for an experience that approximates one of them. Admittedly, I have only lived in Chiang Mai a year and a half but I have yet to see anything remotely close to what has been described.

I do get a laugh out of reading the complaints though. Seems that whatever the complaint is about, is is never sufficient to cause the complainer to do the one thing that will resolve their issue ... leave Thailand and return to that land of perfect bureaucrats from whence they came.

Just the thoughts of an old curmudgeon who has seen too many of the human frailties up close.

David

Seems that whatever the complaint is about, is is never sufficient to cause the complainer to do the one thing that will resolve their issue ... leave Thailand and return to that land of perfect bureaucrats from whence they came.

Just because someone complains about something albeit immigration, the BIB, or even a restaurant, doesn't mean the bad outweigh's the good. To suggest someone leave Thailand rather than complain about a service is.........well.......rather naive......but hey you've practised law and worked in government......nuff said. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Seems that whatever the complaint is about, is is never sufficient to cause the complainer to do the one thing that will resolve their issue ... leave Thailand and return to that land of perfect bureaucrats from whence they came.

Just because someone complains about something albeit immigration, the BIB, or even a restaurant, doesn't mean the bad outweigh's the good. To suggest someone leave Thailand rather than complain about a service is.........well.......rather naive......but hey you've practised law and worked in government......nuff said. biggrin.png

Obviously I forgot to put in obligatory tongue-in-cheek emoticon at the end of that paragraph. biggrin.png

David

Yeh it is a real joy to be amongst sniveling complainers. Lets do all we can to keep them here and to attract more of them.

Yeh it is a real joy to be amongst sniveling complainers. Lets do all we can to keep them here and to attract more of them.

I don't mind a complainer if he has some thing to complain about. But at it's worse and darn seldom if that they have had to wait 2 hours to report for their 90 day check in and they are on a retirement visa that means not working and all they can do is complain about it I am completely disinterested in what they have to say.

I can only imagine the horror's that drove them out of their home country.

I am just guessing that they complain about a lot of small things.

.......you mean leave a country with one of the world's highest standards of living (your Canada) and move into a shared room here?

That sounds pretty drastic....what horrors drove you this.

Edited by uptheos

I guess I will have to step in for the immigration staff.

Bureaucrats are pretty close to the same throughout the world. Having practiced law in the US for 27 years and working in state government for a portion of that time, I have met more than my share of them. And doing a bit of international travel, I have had to deal with a fair number of immigration officials from various countries and cultures. The Thai immigrations staff do not seem to be significantly worse or better than the average I have dealt with. (Well, with the exception of TSA. Thais are much better). There will always be slackers and there will be those that go out of their way to help you. Strangely enough, I have run into far more of the latter than the former.

As for the Chiang Mai staff, I read all the complaints here in the forum and wait for an experience that approximates one of them. Admittedly, I have only lived in Chiang Mai a year and a half but I have yet to see anything remotely close to what has been described.

I do get a laugh out of reading the complaints though. Seems that whatever the complaint is about, is is never sufficient to cause the complainer to do the one thing that will resolve their issue ... leave Thailand and return to that land of perfect bureaucrats from whence they came.

Just the thoughts of an old curmudgeon who has seen too many of the human frailties up close.

David

"As for the Chiang Mai staff, I read all the complaints here in the forum and wait for an experience that approximates one of them"

I very much agree - I have been thru the process of getting my first retirement and multi entry visa and in May just completed my 4th renewal and many 90 days checks - I can say that I cannot report on anything negative in this process - it really is a very simple process and if you understand and follow the rules and have the proper documents its a piece of cake and they are only getting better -- its the same all over the world so just relax

• Like 1

My experinece with the 90 report? None. I forego the irritance of them and pay the 2000 baht fine when I renew my visa once a year. I think it saves me time and money this way.

Edited by Koratpat
  • Like 2

I don't mind a complainer if he has some thing to complain about. But at it's worse and darn seldom if that they have had to wait 2 hours to report for their 90 day check in and they are on a retirement visa that means not working and all they can do is complain about it I am completely disinterested in what they have to say.

I am just guessing that they complain about a lot of small things.

Apparently not "completely" disinterested.

MSPain

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

.......you mean leave a country with one of the world's highest standards of living (your Canada) and move into a shared room here?

That sounds pretty drastic....what horrors drove you this.

Canada was just a stop on the way from the States perhaps you have not noticed but I often refer to North Ameica. Horrors there were none but delights of Chiang Mai there were many.

You are painting a sorry picture of your self when you rate horrors to materialistic things. But I digress I have deduced from some of your posts that you come from England a country so caught up in the materialistic world that they raped as much of it as they could.