90 Day Reporting - Comments And Experiences

Tywais

My experinece with the 90 report? None. I forego the irritance of them and pay the 2000 baht fine when I renew my visa once a year. I think it saves me time and money this way.

Not sure if I understand you correctly you have a visa requiring you to report in every 90 days and you ignore them. When comes time after one year to renew it they only charge you 2,000 baht. I was 6 days late renewing mine one year and they charged me 6,000 baht. Could you possibly have meant 20,000 baht as I believe that is the maximum they will charge. Is your's a retirement visa?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My experinece with the 90 report? None. I forego the irritance of them and pay the 2000 baht fine when I renew my visa once a year. I think it saves me time and money this way.

Not sure if I understand you correctly you have a visa requiring you to report in every 90 days and you ignore them. When comes time after one year to renew it they only charge you 2,000 baht. I was 6 days late renewing mine one year and they charged me 6,000 baht. Could you possibly have meant 20,000 baht as I believe that is the maximum they will charge. Is your's a retirement visa?

If you miss your 90 day report, the most they will charge you is 2000 baht. Usually the girl just charges me 1000 baht no reciept. I have been doing this for years.

20,000 Baht is the maximum charged for overstaying your Visa/Extension. 5000 Baht is the maximum penalty for late 90 day reporting where 2000 baht is the norm that they charge.

We really are getting off topic now and will probably be doing some cleanup of this topic to keep it in focus. Any questions non-specific to Chiang Mai regarding visas and extensions or other immigration questions please use the Visa forum.

20,000 Baht is the maximum charged for overstaying your Visa/Extension. 5000 Baht is the maximum penalty for late 90 day reporting where 2000 baht is the norm that they charge.

We really are getting off topic now and will probably be doing some cleanup of this topic to keep it in focus. Any questions non-specific to Chiang Mai regarding visas and extensions or other immigration questions please use the Visa forum.

Personally I feel that the information passed on by Koratpat. Is very much pertinent to the topic. Sorry I asked for clarification. It was just such a shock to see that for 2,000 baht I can skip three check in's. Not saying I will do that but in the past it would have been a great relief to have known that several times. That was when I had to make travel plans around the check in.

Personally I feel that the information passed on by Koratpat. Is very much pertinent to the topic. Sorry I asked for clarification. It was just such a shock to see that for 2,000 baht I can skip three check in's. Not saying I will do that but in the past it would have been a great relief to have known that several times. That was when I had to make travel plans around the check in.

Actually I was referring to several posts prior to his regarding being off-topic.

However, making a habit of it may have consequences in the future individually or to us as a whole. I was over 10 years late on my first 90 day report but that was when it was not being enforced and no-one else I knew was doing it. It caught up with me on my annual work extension and it was clear I wasn't getting the extension until I dealt with my 90 day report first. I consider it a dangerous method to flaunt the regulations and put the rest of us in jeopardy such as increasing the penalties or other things IM can think of doing to stop that type of attitude.

• Like 1

I am hesitant to bring this up, but I have lived here for 35 years and have never once done the 90 day reporting at immigration in Chiangmai. I recently went to renew my visa and nothing was asked or said, Only once in the 35 years have I ever been asked by immigration where is your 90 day reporting form, I told them at home. Nothing else! Whilst I know you are subject to 2000 Baht fine and they could if they wanted to,put you in jail until the fine is paid, I once met an Immig\ration officer in a bar in Bangkok ( I speak flluent Thai) I told him about it and he said, well most likely they will fine you and make you comply for that 90 days. I am wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience, I have yearly spousal visas and needless to say I know most of the immigration officers at Chiangmai Immigration, who are not aware of this deception.

I thought you had to leave the country and come back every 90 days for a business visa. Retired people don't have a staff

Whoops........wiped the egg off yet? wink.png

Retired persons on a retirement extension can not get a WP to work. If on a married extension, they can.

Went in yesterday about 3:00. Place was fairly empty and the ticket machine was turned off. I have a barcode from last time and was told then the only form I would need is the 90-report form. So I filled it out and went to 90-day counter and handed pp and form to girl behind the "barcode computer". She scanned it, but then put it aside as the 90-reporting guy still had to fill out the bottom part. There were only 2 passports in front of me and he was finished w/in 10 minutes. However, he said next time to make a copy of my passport. I tried to ask "But I thought the barcode was meant so that making copies was not needed anymore", but he didn't understand and just kept repeating, copy passport next time. At least he didn't make me go out back and make a copy. So I guess if you have barcode, it's 90 form AND copy of pp page (not visa, nor arrival card). But, the best part was being in and out in 10 minutes. I think afternoons are the best, and I didn't need a que number (maybe just lucky in that respect?)

You can pay one of the visa assist services 1000 baht/year to do your 90 day reports for you. No need for them to have your passport to do this. They'll remember your deadlines and send you the little slip to put into your passport.

Much better than just ignoring the reports and hoping they'll be kind enough to fine you just 2000 baht when they discover it during your visa extension visit. They could fine you as much as 5000 baht if you get them upset (as in doing it year after year) and/or you're stopped at a traffic check or your passport is examined closely when you leave the country.

You can pay one of the visa assist services 1000 baht/year to do your 90 day reports for you. No need for them to have your passport to do this. They'll remember your deadlines and send you the little slip to put into your passport.

Much better than just ignoring the reports and hoping they'll be kind enough to fine you just 2000 baht when they discover it during your visa extension visit. They could fine you as much as 5000 baht if you get them upset (as in doing it year after year) and/or you're stopped at a traffic check or your passport is examined closely when you leave the country.

Now that is what I call the sensible thing to do if one does not want to risk the 5,000 baht fine or is so busy in their retirement they can not spare two hours every 90 days. Or the time to mail it.

I was wondering if they could deport a person if they wanted to over the not reporting every 90 days. particular if it was a regular habit.

As for the bar code the last time I was in several weeks ago I had to turn in the normal papers and I asked what the bar code was for . He said he did not know maybe later. That's kind of what I figured too. Hope later dosen't mean years and years. LOL

The only real complaint I have concerning CM immigration is that they need to double the size of their waiting room. They have tried hard to make a number of improvements to their system, but not enough room for customers without walking all over each other.

I think the expansion can't be considered because of space to expand there. All in all, I have not experienced all the hassles that others are complaining about. I just go there knowing I will be there awhile to conduct the business.

On the brighter side, it feels really good when your finished and walk out the door until the next time you have to go there!

Edited by Lifer

Went in yesterday about 3:00. Place was fairly empty and the ticket machine was turned off. I have a barcode from last time and was told then the only form I would need is the 90-report form. So I filled it out and went to 90-day counter and handed pp and form to girl behind the "barcode computer". She scanned it, but then put it aside as the 90-reporting guy still had to fill out the bottom part. There were only 2 passports in front of me and he was finished w/in 10 minutes. However, he said next time to make a copy of my passport. I tried to ask "But I thought the barcode was meant so that making copies was not needed anymore", but he didn't understand and just kept repeating, copy passport next time. At least he didn't make me go out back and make a copy. So I guess if you have barcode, it's 90 form AND copy of pp page (not visa, nor arrival card). But, the best part was being in and out in 10 minutes. I think afternoons are the best, and I didn't need a que number (maybe just lucky in that respect?)

I've had this "Next time do this." from CM Immigration before. I believe it means absolutely nothing. I once had them tell me "Next time make sure the letter is signed." It was signed THIS time which I pointed out. They just repeated their statement.

Edited by mesquite

I've had this "Next time do this." from CM Immigration before. I believe it means absolutely nothing. I once had them tell me "Next time make sure the letter is signed." It was signed THIS time which I pointed out. They just repeated their statement.

It's the fatigue from all that hard labor. wink.png

• Like 1

Now that is what I call the sensible thing to do if one does not want to risk the 5,000 baht fine or is so busy in their retirement they can not spare two hours every 90 days. Or the time to mail it.

I was wondering if they could deport a person if they wanted to over the not reporting every 90 days. particular if it was a regular habit.

It is not about sparing 2 hours every 90 days. The report should only be made if you move - in a normal country. The paper usuage for all the reports farangs have made over the years has to have killed an entire forest.

They will not deport you for missing it, not do I know anyone that has ever been fined 5000 baht. They really do not care if you miss it as long as you pay the 2000 baht fine or better for them 1000 baht no receipt.

I have never been asked for my passport on the street in all these years nor do I know anyone that has. I hardly know anyone that carries their passport. I used toi make a color copy of mine and my visa and kept that in the car. I stopped doing that years ago. Besides some Thai road cop does not have a clue what a 90 report is or if a paper shoudl be in your passport. .

I have been here for decades and know how the game is played. I am not living in Thailand so I can scurry around worrying about some 90 report. I am here to live life.

• Like 2

Their visas do not last longer than 90 days per entry, but if they extend they are supposed to do a 90 day report. I am not sure that rule would actually be enforced however.

Great, so us toruistas are exempt from the 90-day reporting as the visa-run effectively resets the clock on the period of residency.I want to follow their rules to the letter in case any transgression bars me from a different visa down the line.....sticklers are sticklers.

It is not about sparing 2 hours every 90 days. The report should only be made if you move - in a normal country. The paper usuage for all the reports farangs have made over the years has to have killed an entire forest.

They will not deport you for missing it, not do I know anyone that has ever been fined 5000 baht. They really do not care if you miss it as long as you pay the 2000 baht fine or better for them 1000 baht no receipt.

I have never been asked for my passport on the street in all these years nor do I know anyone that has. I hardly know anyone that carries their passport. I used toi make a color copy of mine and my visa and kept that in the car. I stopped doing that years ago. Besides some Thai road cop does not have a clue what a 90 report is or if a paper shoudl be in your passport. .

I have been here for decades and know how the game is played. I am not living in Thailand so I can scurry around worrying about some 90 report. I am here to live life.

Can't you take out a citizenship papers and live the rest of your life here under the rules or are you here because you can break rules and just pay your way out.

Be interested in your definition of normal country. My money says you are going to name some western country. Probably from North America or Europe. Do they let you break the rules there and just pay a bribe.

I for one am glad it is not a normal country I do enjoy the differences. And never once in the 6 years I have been here have I been hurt making the 90 day report.

Can't you take out a citizenship papers and live the rest of your life here under the rules or are you here because you can break rules and just pay your way out.

Be interested in your definition of normal country. My money says you are going to name some western country. Probably from North America or Europe. Do they let you break the rules there and just pay a bribe.

I for one am glad it is not a normal country I do enjoy the differences. And never once in the 6 years I have been here have I been hurt making the 90 day report.

My definition of a normal country is the same as my Thai wife's definition. People don't drive the wrong way against traffic. There is some sort of hygiene taught to the people. There SOP's in busienss and government. The people are not kept "dumbed" down to so the elite can continue to oppress and enslave them etc. As for normal immigration policies? 1) Don't call it an immigration office when there is no immigration. 2) Do not humiliate a married couple by making them take a picture together sitting on their bed 3) Get rid of the 90 day report and make it so a report must be made if you move house 4) Stop changing the goal posts every other day. 5) End the racism.

My definition of a normal country is the same as my Thai wife's definition. People don't drive the wrong way against traffic. There is some sort of hygiene taught to the people. There SOP's in busienss and government. The people are not kept "dumbed" down to so the elite can continue to oppress and enslave them etc. As for normal immigration policies? 1) Don't call it an immigration office when there is no immigration. 2) Do not humiliate a married couple by making them take a picture together sitting on their bed 3) Get rid of the 90 day report and make it so a report must be made if you move house 4) Stop changing the goal posts every other day. 5) End the racism.

Well I certainly agree with you on driving on the wrong side of the street. That is a hang over from when England was trying to rape the world. And for sure stop the racism. It is a crying shame when you see a teacher just because he is white making 3 to 4 times as much as a Thai teacher.

As for immigration what would you call it when a non Thai takes out a Thai citizenship. That was the question I had asked you why you hadn't done it when you have lived here so long and obviously don't like the system. Not sure what to call the others but I do know I go to the immigration in Chiang Mai every 90 days.It says immigration in big letters outside. You don't even have to go in you can see it driving by. I agree that for a married couple having to have a picture taken sitting on your bed is not only wrong but it is weird. I can not ever remember anyone complaining about that or even saying they had to do it. Report in every time you move well what if you are just traveling around Thailand with no real place to call home.

To be honest with you if you look around the world at what is normal and be honest about it you might decide that while you are not living in a normal country. You are living in one with better standards. I repeat you are either from North America and that doe's not include Mexico or you are from Europe and doing the often done thing of judging others by a country you choose not to live in.

I am in no way saying the health care and education is great here. But when in Cambodia and you need a hospital you look in Lonely Planet and it says go to Thailand It makes one wonder. When people fly here from North America and Europe to have medical operations and dental work done it makes you wonder. Yes the average Thai can not afford those prices that the foreigners pay. But truth be known most foreigners can't either that is why they have medical insurances. Take the medical care in Canada. My friend had to have triple bypass heart surgery his insurance paid the whole price. But he had to wait over a year to get it. Is that normal medical care in a normal country. He could have gone into the states and had it done that night for $108,000. Ask your self if you have insurance in Thailand how long do you have to wait for a triple bypass surgery for free.

No two ways about it the education system and the health care system need a lot of work on. But then again what country dosen't need it. Thailand is progressing very very slowly but it is progressing.

In closing I will give you a tip normal is a setting on a washing machine.

• Like 1

That is good information Nancy. Is there one visa assist service you would recommend over the rest? I got burned out on having to report for the nonsensical 90 day, and schedule trips out of the country so I can avoid having to go there. Once a year at immigration is enough for me. Thanks for your anticipated recommendation.

That is good information Nancy. Is there one visa assist service you would recommend over the rest? I got burned out on having to report for the nonsensical 90 day, and schedule trips out of the country so I can avoid having to go there. Once a year at immigration is enough for me. Thanks for your anticipated recommendation.

I certainly don't work for any company, but I know friends who use several different companies for this service and all are happy. I recommend companies on TV only when I've had personal experience and I can't make a personal recommendation about this subject since I L-O-V-E to go to CM Immigration to do 90 day reports, etc. Seriously! It's more fun than going to the zoo.

Edited by NancyL

I found this intersting on the Thai Immigration website about failure to report you 90 days residence.

4. Question : What is the punishment in case of late/not notifying of residence every 90 days ?

Answer : -In case notifying in person, the alien will be punished with a fine of 2,000 Bath.

- In case of being arrested for not notifying on the due date, the fine is 4,000 Bath and with an additional fine of 200 Bath for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

I was unaware about the the police able to arrest you. I now understand why the next notification is stapled into your passport. That is if you do carry your passport. See other thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I just returned from doing my extension this morning. I presented my passport with my last 90 day report in it. It was 11 months since I did my last report. The girl barely looked at the old 90 day paper stapled in my passport, stamped me my new extension and gave me a new 90 day report. No fine or fuss at all. Just FYI for all.

This was at Chaengwattanna Immigration.