Tomatoes In Rainy Season

since my last post, my health looking seedlings have taken a turn for the worst. i think putting them out in full sun too early was a bad idea. about 20% have shriveled up and died and the rest don't look that great.

so i've moved them all back to my shady spot and will leave them there until about 12" high, them move into bigger pot in garden

i just ordered some more seeds

SWEET MILLION TOMATO 25 SEEDS HEAVY YIELDS SWEET FRUIT ( 110867184936 ) 110867184936_1.jpg

HOMESTEAD TOMATO 30 SEEDS THE #2 ALL TIME BEST SELLER ( 190465366544 ) 190465366544_2.jpg

TROPIC VFN TOMATO 25 SEEDS GOOD FOR HOT HUMID CLIMATES ( 200540372817 )

interested to see how these get on

Edited by stevehaigh

If you put small pots in full sun, the soil/compost will get too hot and dry out very quickly.

They will do better if transplanted into the soil. Plant in a deep hole, so plenty of stem will be in contact with the soil and form a lot of new roots. If you can't plant deep for some reason, plant at an angle.

I haven't even started my toms yet. Will get some seeds in soon so they are ready to transplant out when the weather cools towards the end of the rainy season. Mind you, the rainy season hasn't really started yet, so maybe we will get an extended rainy season into December, same as last year.

If you put small pots in full sun, the soil/compost will get too hot and dry out very quickly.

They will do better if transplanted into the soil. Plant in a deep hole, so plenty of stem will be in contact with the soil and form a lot of new roots. If you can't plant deep for some reason, plant at an angle.

I haven't even started my toms yet. Will get some seeds in soon so they are ready to transplant out when the weather cools towards the end of the rainy season. Mind you, the rainy season hasn't really started yet, so maybe we will get an extended rainy season into December, same as last year.

where are you? i'm in phuket, same story with the weather here, it hasn't really started raining yet. anyhow, i moved my plants out of the sun and they do look better now. i also added a bit more potting soil to the toms and i think that helps. i remember the tip with toms that when transplanting, plant them deep.

here is one of the toms from the lot i planted about 3-4 weeks ago, they are doing really well

the weather has cooled down quite a bit here and the sky is overcast most of the day so i'm putting them out in full cloud

when i get some flowers i'll update

post-6315-0-33193400-1345707907_thumb.jp

Hello All, since it's transplant picture day, here's mine.

Waiting on a decsion to plant here in Muang or at the

farm, 4x4x5 bags with coir under a tree that stops direct

rain and lets them get full sun only for two 1/2 hour

periods during the day.

rice555

post-37242-0-41974800-1345712486_thumb.j

Hello All, since it's transplant picture day, here's mine.

Waiting on a decsion to plant here in Muang or at the

farm, 4x4x5 bags with coir under a tree that stops direct

rain and lets them get full sun only for two 1/2 hour

periods during the day.

rice555

do you think that's enough sun as they start to get older and ready to fruit or do you plan to move them to a more open location?

Hello All, steve, they get several hours of filtered light,

but just direct sun for the two 1/2 hours periods.

My main aim is to keep them out of the rain while they

are small. I'm still not sure if they will be dirt or hydro

grown as they are now.

rice555

• 1 month later...

Wow, everyone's tomatoes look great! I too have some seedlings (I don't know how to attach photo on here yet). I've had them for a month now, and have just transplated them from their very small pots to a medium sized pot. I will transplant once more before they are fully grown, to aid root growth. (I'm growing in containers).

I ordered some seeds from the US, so I have seeral varieties (green, white, yellow, striped and purple!) 3 of the varieties have seeded well with high germination rates, but I cannot for the life of me get the purple 'Black from Tula' variety to grow). Quite dissapointed.

Am also having problems with a heritage pepper, also ordered from the US. Have tried several methods to aid germination, but cannot get one dam_n seedling from them!

Anyway, as I'm new to growing tomatoes, I wondered if anyone would like to 'mentor' me a little. I'm really not sure about timing, and feeding, and harvesting cycles yet. With seedlings just now a onth old... what should I be doing next? When should I begin fertilizing, etc?

A timetable would be great if anyone has one.

:)