Chiang Rai Sky

villagefarang

The burning, that is supposed to fertilize the soil? Is that pretty well scientifically established to be true? I know I've always heard about it in relation to slash and burn clearing of the forest, but just wondering if. Does it also clear the stubble out so planting next year's crop will be easier?

I feel a bit sad about the farmers, bless them.

Surprised though that there isn't so much water up there. Do you have a well? How deep is the water table?

Can see the punkin patch now.

Lots of questions! ! !

At least nobody is flaming me on this thread! ! !

wink.png

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take as someone formerly involved in horticulture is that burning stubble is a quick way of putting trace elements and minerals like potassium back into the soil.

Over a few years observation of local rice farming I noticed that they sell the straw from one crop, plow it in for another and burn the third.

Edit: Not necessarily in that order, or for that matter, strictly adhered to, just sometimes that they do one, then t'others.

Edited by sceadugenga

As Scea said, in theory burning produces some trace elements but around here they don’t bother to distribute it over the entire field or work it into the soil. The dividing mounds between the fields, where the weeds grow, seem to end up with most of it or it just blows away.

In our area the only time they can sell the straw is when they have used the old-fashioned hand threshing method and no machinery, which hardly anyone does these days. The machines leave large piles of useless straw that ends up as amazing bonfires in the dark of night.

Interestingly I have seen villagers, and even our own gardener, go out and collect ash in a bag to be use to make potting soil for around the garden. Go figure. Anyway it is much easier to plow a field that has been burned down to stubble. If you have waist high straw to plow into the ground you are going to need a very big tractor and that cost money.

It is a complicated subject which includes the problems associated with monocultures, overuse of fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. No doubt things will change in time but it will take time and lots of it, in my opinion. During my time in Thailand I have seen a lot of change but it has been slow and incremental, nothing dramatic or overnight.

It has been raining all day so no new pictures from today but I’m sharing this one from my last ride because it gives you a better look and one of those little field shacks. This section of road was dirt until very recently and is only use by farm equipment.

CR%2520Sky%2520%2520002%2520%25281%2529.jpg

• Like 1

I took these about a week ago. It is about 80 metres from our home.

post-126018-0-27416100-1343049010_thumb.post-126018-0-08803700-1343048792_thumb.post-126018-0-69239100-1343048841_thumb.

I love that blanket of cloud laying on the mountain top.smile.png

For the last month this has been a regular event. I have other photos that are zoomed in but this one gave the overall affect.

Okay it isn't the sky but it is Chiang Rai. Caught this little guy trying to take a shower with my wife and he ended up losing his head.biggrin.png

First time in five years that we have had snakes in the house. I guess they, like me, have had enough of this relentless rain. Big mistake coming up my drain pipes.post-4641-1156693976.gifofftopic2.gif

304795_429670920410024_1191736298_n.jpg

Edited by villagefarang

What kind of a snake is that?

Just curious.

I am no snake expert but after investigation I think it is a Common Bridle Snake. I have to admit I thought it was a Krait when I first saw it.

Did it become tom yam ngu?

Sorry to disappoint Scea, but no soup. This kind of snake doesn’t get very big apparently and what I decapitated was four little ones. Not nearly enough for soup.

I’m sure some would prefer catch and release but I will not tolerate snakes in the house. My wife running naked into the living room to find me made the whole affair quite entertaining, I must say.

I’m not sure how many babies they have but I’m guessing I didn’t kill the whole family, just the stupid ones who wanted to live with the Farang instead of outside with the other critters. Natural selection in action.wink.pngbiggrin.png

Sounds like she was fleeing from a Trouser Snake to me laugh.png

anyway..... back on Topic , can we please have some photo's of Blue skies .... pretty Please sad.png

And what have you done to the Roads out your way sad.png

Edited by jubby

The insistence on the protection of native species is all very well but animals that endanger us, our children or pets take their chances.

I come from a country that's home to some of the world's most venomous creatures and once worked with a naturalist.

One day he was explaining the difference between very similar snakes, one poisonous and the other not.

One of the things that he said had to be done to be certain was to count the number of scales around the anal vent. blink.png

Yeah sure....

Where's the garden hoe again? thumbsup.gif

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

Today's sky from the mountain top.

CR%2520Sky%2520%2520001%2520%25281%2529.jpg

I love the photo. How far from your home?

It is roughly 20km to the top depending on which route I take. On a clear day one can look across the valley and see Phu Chi Fa on the other side. Not today though as the clouds in that direction were well below me and blocking the view.