Chiang Rai Sky

villagefarang

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK since you don't mind questions:

What is that type of boat called? Is it a regional design or common all over Thailand? What is the origin of it?

I see a paddle in one of the boats, and no oarlocks, so may I presume the boats are paddled like a canoe? Are motors ever used?

What's the thing sticking up vertically at the stern of one of the boats?

The reservoir looks rather small, I wonder why so many boats, and who owns them?

What are they used for - fishing?

I believe there were similar boats in a different picture, one of them was half-sunk.

Thanks!

:)

Sorry, I am awfully curious, aren't I?

:)

OK to even out the exchange, here is a link to a song from Peru that I like, it is totally off-topic:

OK since you don't mind questions:

What is that type of boat called? Is it a regional design or common all over Thailand? What is the origin of it?

I see a paddle in one of the boats, and no oarlocks, so may I presume the boats are paddled like a canoe? Are motors ever used?

What's the thing sticking up vertically at the stern of one of the boats?

The reservoir looks rather small, I wonder why so many boats, and who owns them?

What are they used for - fishing?

I believe there were similar boats in a different picture, one of them was half-sunk.

Thanks!

smile.png

Sorry, I am awfully curious, aren't I?

Traditionally boats were made of wood, as in other cultures. The ones I like best were crafted from one piece of wood in a dugout fashion. These you see in the photo, are what have come to replaced those old wooden boats as the workhorse in our area, and are simply referred to in Thai as boats you paddle. They are often seen in the back of a truck being moved from one location to another, according to need.

Often these boats are used to string nets for fishing but in this instance they are being used to haul the corn harvest from the far side of the reservoir. From the dam the bags of corn will be trucked to a nearby collection center for processing.

They are made of sheet metal and paddled like a canoe. That thing that looks like it is sticking up vertically at the stern is an optical illusion which you will see in this additional photo. Sorry for the somewhat utilitarian nature of this photo but it is the only one I took that helps to illustrate what is going on.

boats%2520%2520001.jpg

• Like 1

They can crowd a fair number of boats onto a rather small body of water when they want to.thumbsup.gif

Fishing%2520day%2520at%2520the%2520dam..jpg

Looking at the number of nets, and what appears to be a lot of people fishing , there must be a lot of fish in the dam.

Edited by kevjohn

They can crowd a fair number of boats onto a rather small body of water when they want to.thumbsup.gif

Fishing%2520day%2520at%2520the%2520dam..jpg

Looking at the number of nets, in use, there must be a lot of fish in the dam.

Not when they get finished.wink.png Sorry but this is a different water catchment area in our village but was the most accessible image at hand to illustrate my point.wai.gif
  • Like 1

Last night at the lake with the wife and kids

Beautiful area!

Lucky you live in such a nice spot.

Lake looks big too!

Looking again that could be a beautiful oil painting

Very nice

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Last night at the lake with the wife and kids

Beautiful area!

Lucky you live in such a nice spot.

Lake looks big too!

Looking again that could be a beautiful oil painting

Very nice

thanks - it is a great spot and a number of locals turn up regularly to drink beer/whiskey and watch the sunset.

It is a very large lake ,

I don't think this thread was ever started to rate and criticise photos, there's a sub-forum especially for those whose thoughts tend to be in that direction.

Our photos are to be looked at and enjoyed and if some of us come across as amateurs with second rate cameras then so be it.

The thread was started with the op saying he 'loved Chiang Rai' at this time of year with a couple of shots to support it.

I do not think it matters if you are amateur or pro, but feedback on photos is a good thing - isn't it ?

• Like 1