Chiang Rai Sky

villagefarang

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You certainly know how to make someone, envious, VF.

Fantastic photos

Thank you.

I just like share what I see but no doubt there are some who actually attribute that intent to my postings.wink.png Glad you like the photos and you are welcome.smile.png
  • Like 1

I believe it is called cloud iridescence and has something to do with high-level ice crystals. I don’t witness it as often as I would like and it is less often still that I capture an image.

DSC02976%2520-%2520Version%25203.jpg

I saw that yesterday and lamented my not having a camera to hand.

• Like 1

I love that photo of your bike parked and the tree in the back ground and the " Karpoketer" in the distance.

That was my favorite shot today, as well. It is the perfect spot for a drink and a photo, at the point where dirt turns to asphalt. It comes a little less than halfway through a 33km ride.smile.png Edited by villagefarang

Villagefarang #1

Indeed wonderful pictures and countryside. Also very impressive house design. Would you mine to share if you used a Thai architect or some other nationality. Very interesting roof combination. Thank you

Dio

Edited by dionys
  • Like 1

Villagefarang #1

Indeed wonderful pictures and countryside. Also very impressive house design. Would you mine to share if you used a Thai architect or some other nationality. Very interesting roof combination. Thank you

Dio

The wife did the floor plans which we took to a Thai architect with an explanation of what we wanted. He was the one who dropped that one section of roof over the outside patio as there was no need for the same high ceiling we have inside. I liked it so kept it.smile.png There were quite a few adaptations made during the build.wink.png

Dark+Sky++002.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for your response. It seams to be a combination of a Gable and modified shed type roof that indeed was well utilized. Splendid. I like nature also but because of my personal interests I keep coming back and looking at that house design. Also quite unusual terrace with ground connecting stairs. Speaking about pushing the envelope on his part. Yet he got away with it nicely. Thanks again for re-posting. Now back to the clouds…

• Like 1

Thank you for your response. It seams to be a combination of a Gable and modified shed type roof that indeed was well utilized. Splendid. I like nature also but because of my personal interests I keep coming back and looking at that house design. Also quite unusual terrace with ground connecting stairs. Speaking about pushing the envelope on his part. Yet he got away with it nicely. Thanks again for re-posting. Now back to the clouds…

The architect had done a long straight stairway up to the top terrace which I did not like but he did what I think is a nice job of rapping it around that corner of the house when I asked. I don’t get up there as much as I expected to but it does provide nice views out over the fields.

villagefarang

I think you are absolutely right. The strait long stairs would have given a first time viewer some feeling of a commercial structure. By wrapping it around he was able to blend the two, giving the house sort of masculine personality yet combined with warmth of a residence. I am sure for you it is an old shoe but the job indeed deserves congratulation. The other feature is the patio/veranda. That gives incredible extension of the livable space both mentally and physically

• Like 1

villagefarang

I think you are absolutely right. The strait long stairs would have given a first time viewer some feeling of a commercial structure. By wrapping it around he was able to blend the two, giving the house sort of masculine personality yet combined with warmth of a residence. I am sure for you it is an old shoe but the job indeed deserves congratulation. The other feature is the patio/veranda. That gives incredible extension of the livable space both mentally and physically

Since you have shown some interest here are a couple of additional shots around the garden.

House%2520%2520001%2520%25281%2529.jpg

Mt%2520Bike%2520Ride%2520%2520007.jpg

Villagefarang

That landscape really tastefully compliments the house design. I would think it was your wife’s art work but can't help but think you had something to do with that also. Good for you folks. Much obliged for the additional shots.

• Like 1

VF can you tell me what are those little shacks along the road and by the fields. Are they little shelters as pictured above, in case of rain or to get some shade? While waiting for a bus or working in the fields?

What's the climate like when you are out on these rides? What time of day is it?

Also, it would be interesting to see photos of the view from the terrace as you mention you can see out over the fields.

Thanks!

wai.gif

VF can you tell me what are those little shacks along the road and by the fields. Are they little shelters as pictured above, in case of rain or to get some shade? While waiting for a bus or working in the fields?

What's the climate like when you are out on these rides? What time of day is it?

Also, it would be interesting to see photos of the view from the terrace as you mention you can see out over the fields.

Thanks!

wai.gif

The little shacks out in the fields are built by the farmers as a refuge from the ravages of the weather. The shack gives them a dry place sheltered from the sun, to eat a noon meal and perhaps take a little nap before getting back to work. Out in the rice fields everything gets wet so you need someplace dry and elevated above the water to take a break. You might note there are no restrooms out in the field so people just walk to the outer fringes of the group and squat in the field.

The road side shacks you might see could be bus stops or structures used in a funeral procession and later donated to the village as a roadside refuge.

I started at 11:30 and got home around 2:45 today, so it was pretty hot. As long as you keep moving it is not too bad. The first leg of my ride was a 15 km ride up to a mountain reservoir. The last 2 km was very steep in places and I had to walk part of the way. That was very hot and humid in the trees without any breeze.

Coming down was much better of course. From there I traveled through rice fields and some low hills before completing my 44 km ride. With stops to take in the scenery I was only in the saddle for 2 ½ hours.

That is probably more than you wanted to know.wink.png

No not at all, exactly what I was wondering, I mean that sounds fairly strenuous given the heat and humidity, unless you are just totally used to it. I bet you have to take in a lot of fluids though to stay in balance.

Interesting about the little shacks too.

But what about the part of the year when the pollution/smoke is bad? In terms of cycling that is, or other exercise for that matter. I just looked up on the net and somewhere it said that December through May tends to be the dry season when the burning and so forth is done.

I'm sure you've already covered this, but how far outside of town are you?

Edited by zzdocxx

If it gets past the mid thirties I’m probably not going out but yesterday there was a breeze most of the time and it was intermittently overcast. That helped to keep things tolerable. I only carry one small bottle of sport drink in a lumbar pack like one might use for running. Nice thing about Thailand is you are never too far from a little village shop where you can get a cold drink and top-up your own bottle.

You are right to be concerned about the air quality, part of the year. For two or three months I forego outdoor exercise. Usually March and April are the worst but bad air can extend that timeframe both before and after for a few weeks. Even after it clears a bit, it can be very hot until it starts to rain a little. This year was bad but the year before was great, so you never know for sure.

We live roughly 55 km east of town.

Here are a couple of shots taken from upstairs that show the view over the pond looking northwest and the seasonal air quality changes as per your request.

Seasons%2520%2520003.jpg

Seasons%2520%2520002.jpg

Seasons%2520%2520001%2520%25281%2529.jpg

Smog%2520%2520001.jpg

Edited by villagefarang

Wow it took me a minute to figure out where the mountains were and if it was the same viewpoint.

But when it is clear and green it looks wonderful.

I wonder if there are alternatives to burning that would work just as well and no more costly?

Those are rice fields? They are under water when the rice is growing, but what about after it is harvested and everything is brown?

Also, forgive my asking, but there has much discussion about middlemen taking advantage of the poor Thai farmers. I don't even want to bring that up, it reminds me too much of the political arguments. But what do you think, do they get a fair shake? Is there any way for them to work around that? (If you are not in the mood to answer that, please ignore it, and it is off-topic in any case.)

Probably you have posted this before, but I wonder if one of the functions of the pond is to raise fish, and if so do they need to be fed?

Thanks for the great photos! ! ! I see the little rest shacks out there in the fields, nice! ! ! At first glance I thought they were buffaloes hanging about!

It all looks very pastoral, but I am pretty sure it is tough work being a farmer. Best regards,

John

Sure.

Why do I need to toggle the screen sideways to see all of that excellent photo?

What exactly is a "blithesome" blogger? cool.png

That would be me old friend...that would be me. Happy and carefree or casually and cheerfully indifferent to the noises around me. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. I be whatever ya think I be.thumbsup.gif

As for the toggling, take it up with support.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1