Chiang Rai Sky

villagefarang

Perhaps this might help. This is a sala located in the grounds of an exclusive luxury villa located not far from Rai Boon Rawd. On my blog I mention visiting a few different places on that day and I ended up throwing all the images into one folder instead of three separate folders as I should have.

Though I did not talk with the man on the bench, my understanding is that he is one of the staff, probably taking a break as it was a very hot day.

Thanks. That is interesting. For a moment I thought that floods had truck again. sad.png

I guess we could call that effect in your photo at the top of the page, a Trompe l'oeil. biggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The air quality and the clarity of the sky have taken a hit the last few days. Still I managed to get up in the mountains to find a previously unexplored reservoir yesterday. With the access trail leaving something to be desired the result was a fairly pristine environment. I am not entirely happy with what happened to the colors when exporting the images but this was the best I could do under the circumstances.

Huay%2520Haum%2520Dam%2520%2520002.jpg

Huay%2520Haum%2520Dam%2520%2520001.jpg

• Like 2

If I can comment VF, if that is what nature provided, then I give you 10 out of 10....thumbsup.gif

I was referring to the pinkish, magenta that appeared in the hazy overcast sky.sad.png

Will have to get my eyes tested and get some new specs...arr, why bother, I like your pics the way I see them, now....wink.png

Edited by kevjohn
  • Like 1

VF, a link to this thread was posted on the Photography forum. I must say I enjoy your photos. You have an eye for composition too. What kind of camera do you have? Only wish we had those kind of skies here in Pattaya.

VF, a link to this thread was posted on the Photography forum. I must say I enjoy your photos. You have an eye for composition too. What kind of camera do you have? Only wish we had those kind of skies here in Pattaya.

Thanks ThaiBob for the compliment and for letting me know about the link. I use a little pocket camera (Canon S90) but shoot in RAW and process with Aperture. Sadly things have gone very grey here lately.

Maybe you should plan a little Northern adventure and get up to Chiang Rai. People up here like to take a break at the beach from time to time but a trip to the mountains makes for a nice break as well.smile.png

If I can comment VF, if that is what nature provided, then I give you 10 out of 10....thumbsup.gif

This is certainly about Chiang Rai and more photos the better. New and old members can certainly see what a beautiful region this is.

Thanks guys, it is nice to have some genuine posters around. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
  • Like 1

This is certainly about Chiang Rai and more photos the better. New and old members can certainly see what a beautiful region this is.

Thanks guys, it is nice to have some genuine posters around. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Cuts both ways. Having all these great photos, in one topic, is a bonus for me and I appreciate the effort that you put in.

• Like 1

The air quality and the clarity of the sky have taken a hit the last few days. Still I managed to get up in the mountains to find a previously unexplored reservoir yesterday. With the access trail leaving something to be desired the result was a fairly pristine environment. I am not entirely happy with what happened to the colors when exporting the images but this was the best I could do under the circumstances.

I can't understand why anyone would think this thread is no longer about Chiang Rai. Specifically, it's about the Chiang Rai sky, and your photos, Villagefarang, illustrate the Chiang Rai sky marvelously.

I agree there is a slight reddish tinge to the sky in the Huay Haum Dam photo which is difficult to remove without also diminishing the blue of the sky, so why not exaggerate that reddish tinge? smile.png

After all, Chiang Rai is in the Golden Triangle, is it not? One might expect the occasionally reflection in the sky, of fields of red opium poppies. biggrin.png (Just joking. I understand the Thai Government has now got that mostly under control.)

post-118979-0-84951400-1349272598_thumb.

• Like 1

I can't understand why anyone would think this thread is no longer about Chiang Rai. Specifically, it's about the Chiang Rai sky, and your photos, Villagefarang, illustrate the Chiang Rai sky marvelously.

I agree there is a slight reddish tinge to the sky in the Huay Haum Dam photo which is difficult to remove without also diminishing the blue of the sky, so why not exaggerate that reddish tinge? smile.png

After all, Chiang Rai is in the Golden Triangle, is it not? One might expect the occasionally reflection in the sky, of fields of red opium poppies. biggrin.png (Just joking. I understand the Thai Government has now got that mostly under control.)

I suspect the, not Chiang Rai related line of attack, was little more than a desperate misdirection motivated by a personal dislike for my online persona. I genuinely hope that these recent distractions will not affect members willingness to post here and not reflect negatively on the forum as a whole. Chiang Rai is really a wonderful place with a colorful mix of interesting residents and visitors.smile.png

Your idea of exaggeration is an interesting one and perhaps worth exploring, though some may complain about the shot being over-shopped.wink.png

I think photo shopping plays a major part in any photography these days, it's a rare photo I don't fiddle with, even if it's just a minor crop.

Back in the day it was a complex process involving darkrooms and smelly chemicals but now improvement is just a mouse click away.

• Like 1

I think photo shopping plays a major part in any photography these days, it's a rare photo I don't fiddle with, even if it's just a minor crop.

Back in the day it was a complex process involving darkrooms and smelly chemicals but now improvement is just a mouse click away.

I think if people are posting shots representing the Chiang Rai sky they you have natural colours and not be heavily modified. As most of the shots are heavily saturated and colorised they probably should be posted in a photography section under editing.

• Like 1

I think if people are posting shots representing the Chiang Rai sky they you have natural colours and not be heavily modified. As most of the shots are heavily saturated and colorised they probably should be posted in a photography section under editing.

The few photos I have posted here have had no editing. That is why I posted them here. They are of the sky in Chiang Rai region

• Like 1

With modern cameras there is even in-camera editing going on. Each company and camera runs its own algorithms to convert and compress the data into a JPEG, typically.

If you shoot in RAW you will need software designed specifically for your camera model to be able to download it and view it on your computer. There really is no such thing as an unprocessed photo so the argument becomes how much processing is acceptable, which is matter of person preference at best.

Even the likes of Ansel Adams was renowned for the time he spent in the darkroom working on and editing his historic and acclaimed black and white landscapes.

• Like 1

The few photos I have posted here have had no editing. That is why I posted them here. They are of the sky in Chiang Rai region

Your shots are not heavily edited - but when I see blue clouds of a purple sky - whilst pretty it is not a true representation of what you will see in CR

• Like 1

I think you are missing the poit. I am a professional photographer and know very well what editing is required and done in many different scenarios.

The thread is about the CR sky and if anyone is expecting to see the sky as represented is very much mistaken.

The shots would be better placed in the photo section.

I have attached a shot where the sky is (as shot). Taken with a Canon 1ds Mark III and a 24-70L Lens at f11

post-1983-0-46495800-1349321135_thumb.jp

Edited by krobert6
  • Like 1

The reason I get so much out of this thread is

(1) I live in a block of units in Sydney Aust.

(2) My view, from my balcony is another block of units.

Need I say more?

Edited by kevjohn
  • Like 2

The reason I get so much out of this thread is

(1) I live in a block of units in Sydney Aust.

(2) My view, from my balcony is another block of units.

Need I say more?

I jave a nice green view from my other home in Melbourne - but nothing beats my lounge view here in Yonok CR

I think you are missing the poit. I am a professional photographer and know very well what editing is required and done in many different scenarios.

The thread is about the CR sky and if anyone is expecting to see the sky as represented is very much mistaken.

The shots would be better placed in the photo section.

I have attached a shot where the sky is (as shot). Taken with a Canon 1ds Mark III and a 24-70L Lens at f11

I don't believe I am missing the point. As a professional photographer you should certainly know very well what editing is required to satisfy your clients, but you can't be expected to know what editing is required to satisfy people whom you don't know.

Another myth about photography is that the camera never lies. As a person who has taken photos with both film and digital cameras over many years, I know very well that skies can be a problem. The reason is, that the camera normally gets just one exposure at one F/stop and one shutter speed that has to be sufficient for both dark areas in the foreground and exceptionally bright areas in the sky.

What tends to happen with automatic, in-camera processing, or even the K-Mart processing of film and prints in the olden days, is that a compromise is made. Skies are often sacrificed in the interests of lighter shadows in the foreground. Skies often tend to become insipid and uninspiring, or even sometimes completely blown, white and devoid of detail.

This is one of the many instances when the camera lies (metaphorically of course).

However, when the photographer views the scene he is about to photograph, his own eye does not use just one F/stop like a camera lens. As he gazes at the bright sky, his pupil will significantly contract so that the retina will not be swamped with light, and so that he can discern every subtle shade of cloud detail in the brightest part of the sky.

Likewise, as his gaze shifts to the dark shadows in the undergrowth of the green foliage in the foreground, the pupil will dilate within a fraction of a second, so that the eye can discern with great clarity that grasshopper lurking in them thar shadows.

As I've mentioned before, this thread is about the Chinag Rai sky, and Villagefarang depicts that sky in his photos marvelously well.

Now it's true that I've never lived in Chiang Rai so I cannot argue with you about the accuracy of those skies in VF's photos. However, in Australia, where I spend most of my time, I've often seen skies as dramatic and brooding, and colorful and vibrant, as in VF's photos, so his depiction of skies are credible to me, and I like them. That's what counts.

However, as an aspiring Buddhist, I can state that everything is an illusion, so don't worry about it. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 2