Aussie Woman Jailed For False Sexual Assault Report In Phuket

webfact

Gand, you can persist in your view as long as you want, but will not change the facts is this case. Note an Australian government representative was attending, but of course he collaborated with the misrepresentation of the facts???

Edited by simple1

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard her story? Girls don't usually run around claiming rape.

From the looks of her she will get plenty of action in jail.

Thai's have a funny way of flipping the truth.

Once, I had a gun pulled on me, I though it on the roof. Then contacted the Tourist Police.

They told me everyone in the bar claimed I stole my friends credit card and they just where trying to get it back. Of coarse no sign of the gun.

The police said if I made a report I could go to jail for false accusations. I was out numbered, so I quietly went on about my business.

Has anyone heard this girls story, or just reacted to the headline?

She started the story.

• 1 month later...

Update.

This woman's appearing on Australian TV tomorrow night and it looks like she's claiming she was forced into a confession. The promo showed her being interviewed and saying something about the forced confession. Wonder how she's going to explain the CCTV footage away. Or maybe all isn't as it seems (I doubt it).

A Current Affair I think, or Today Tonight if I'm wrong.

Update.

This woman's appearing on Australian TV tomorrow night and it looks like she's claiming she was forced into a confession. The promo showed her being interviewed and saying something about the forced confession. Wonder how she's going to explain the CCTV footage away. Or maybe all isn't as it seems (I doubt it).

I wonder how much she is being paid for the interview?

• Like 1

If it's true that she is going to claim she was coerced into a confession, it's a slap in the face for the Australian consular officials who assisted her and attended Court. Let's see if an Australian government official is also going to be interviewed, but probably constrained due to confidentiality

Update.

The show is on tonight. Here's a link to the show's website which includes a short video with her. http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/video/watch/30373529/coming-up-on-today-tonight/

Update.

The show is on tonight. Here's a link to the show's website which includes a short video with her. http://au.news.yahoo...-today-tonight/

Actually, it doesn't say when it will be on. All is says is it's coming next week.

If it's true that she is going to claim she was coerced into a confession, it's a slap in the face for the Australian consular officials who assisted her and attended Court. Let's see if an Australian government official is also going to be interviewed, but probably constrained due to confidentiality

Problem is that the average TV viewer in Australia will take everything claimed at face value and have no idea of the local (Phuket) reportage.

Problem is that the average TV viewer in Australia will take everything claimed at face value and have no idea of the local (Phuket) reportage.

It will be interesting to hear what she says on the support/advice she received from Australian consular services

Hey, here's the article, name, photo, and all. Just a dumb 21 year old bogan girl who thought she could get away with blaming "evil foreigners"

http://www.smh.com.a...0616-20gq7.html

Top Crumpet, an apt name for this topic. Hey Yea.

Just had a look at the link. Could leave her shoes under my bed anytime..............but...............Now thinking with the big head, would it be worth the risk. Nah Nah.......Eastern Suburbs is a subtle clue

Is this what you mean by eastern suburbs aussie in Thailand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VK9h3vbjHKw

Georgia: "Australians are the nicest people, but you can only understand about half of what they say."

'My Life in Ruins' (2009)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865559/

To true Blue

Something doesn't ring true with this. What are the results of the medical examination, the 1st step in an allegded rape allegation or didn't the police have one conducted?

The woman was interviewed for 2 days over the incident, did she finally give into the pressure and intimidation by the police? She says she got a cab which I would pressume was the car type as he apparently picked up another two men. Then it appears that someone on a motor bike has given her a lift back to the hotel after the incident. What did the hotel staff have to say about her emotional state when she arrived back, was she distressed? Does she still have her passport which was taken? I am sure that the embassy can confirm this as she may now require a travel document to leave.

"It is sad that tourists have to lie about this sort of thing" Col Sermphan said. Is he saying that tourists are liars and this sort of thing doesn't happen in Thailand and the taxi industry is clean and all above board?

I am not taking sides here but it just doesn't ring right to me.

http://news.ninemsn....ver-false-claim

It sure sounds like your taking sides mate , with this bogan embarrassment to all Aussies who love Thailand !!

Phuket 'false sexual assault' victim Bamford to reveal all on Australian prime time TV

Phuket Gazette

rp.jpeg

Tonight, Stevie Rochelle Bamford is slated to appear before millions on the Australian prime-time television show 'Today Tonight'. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Stevie Bamford, the 21-year-old Australian tourist who in June confessed to Thai police that she had filed a false rape claim in Phuket, steps onto the Australian prime-time television show Today Tonight to reveal the 'truth' about her sexual assault in Thailand.

In her original report of the incident to Patong Police, Ms Bamford claimed she was attacked by three men while taking a tuk-tuk back to her hotel at about 2am.

However, CCTV footage taken at the end of Soi Bangla shows the Australian woman leaving the area on a motorbike taxi at about 3am that Sunday.

“The Australian confessed to the police last night [June 14] that she lied about being raped,” said Patong Police Superintendent Sermphan Sirikong at the time.

An online trailer for tonight’s Today Tonight show introduces the topic in a very different light.

“An investigation into how a young Australian woman went from being the victim of a sexual assault on an overseas holiday to being treated like a criminal by the authorities,” says the show’s host Matt White.

“I just remember being held down on the floor I couldn’t move,” Ms Bamford says in the trailer.

“She said you sign this here, saying you lied and you’ll get a small fine and then go back to Australia and then everything will be fine,” Ms Bamford also alleges.

In addition to flash interview clips, the trailer shows stock footage of prison guards locking doors, carrying rings with dozens of keys and coils of concertina barbed wire.

However, Phuket Prison chief Rapin Nichanon clarified in July, “According to the sentence, she is being detained, not imprisoned. That is why she is at the Bang Jo facility.”

The Bang Jo Detention Center is primarily used for inmates about to reintegrate with society after serving sentences at Phuket Provincial Prison or for people serving short sentences for minor crimes.

Over the past year, the current affairs coverage by Today Tonight has received some criticism for its depiction of events. Some of the most scathing remarks coming from Australian national news source The Age.

In June, before Ms Bramford agreed to revealing all on prime-time television, Patong Police Superintendent Sermphan Sirikong expressed his concern that the false report had already damaged Phuket’s tourism image.

The Gazette notes that Today Tonight's 'sister-show', called Sunday Night, as recently as March this year listed a 'Sarah Bamford' as a co-producer.

However, the website no longer lists Sarah Bamford as related to the Sunday Night show in any capacity.

The Gazette has yet to establish whether or not the Sarah Bamford previously named as a co-producer of the show is any relation to the Stevie Bamford to be featured on Today Tonight.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16769.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-27

Saw it. She says she was raped, wasn't believed. Said a plea bargain was reached that would involve a fine only and ordered to leave - else long time in jail. The embassy told her to take it (she says, probably true). She signed and the rest is history.

Very little evidence provided to support her version of events. Actually her version had very little detail so hard to scrutinize it.

Embassy refused to comment on camera. Emails were exchanged but we're given no clue as to what was said.

Saw it. She says she was raped, wasn't believed. Said a plea bargain was reached that would involve a fine only and ordered to leave - else long time in jail. The embassy told her to take it (she says, probably true). She signed and the rest is history.

Very little evidence provided to support her version of events. Actually her version had very little detail so hard to scrutinize it.

Embassy refused to comment on camera. Emails were exchanged but we're given no clue as to what was said.

Did she mention the Australian honorary consul for Phuket attended the Court proceedings?

Also, the original reports said there was a fight between them, implying emotion had got the better of her on the night. She downplayed that suggestion and said she was drunk and they lost each other in the crowd (of Bangla I believe). Then she drank at a bar which she thought the boyfriend might find her at and then wandered to the beach.

We're told the Thai police claimed to have been able to track her where-abouts for all/most of the time that she was away from her boyfriend. They (this show) showed some CCTV footage and suggested it was inconclusive. We don't know if that is the only footage, or how they obtained that footage. It didn't look like any effort was made to contact the Thai police to get their side of the story.

Girl who cried wolf attacks Thailand's Policeforce from Australian TV Studio

By Staff Reporter

Thailand’s police force has to deal with three types of tourists; the genuine ones, the liars and the drunks and it doesn’t make for easy policing, especially in high density tourist areas.

So when an Australian woman, Stevie Bamford turned out to be a liar and, according to the TV interview, “alone, drunk and disorientated” a polite expression for “totally wasted”,, it must have been confusing, to say the least, for Phuket Police to deal with a potential victim of a henious crime …in that state… in a foreign language.

Earlier in the year, the young Australian, on holiday in Phuket, reported that she had been raped. Police took the claim very seriously and instigated an investigation which involved interviewing potential witnesses, checking the “so called” scene of the crime and reviewing the hundreds of hours of CCTV film from the numerous operational cameras set up around the nightclub area.

The result was that after WASTING police man hours, tape was found that showed her not, as she claimed, riding home in a tuk tuk and being assaulted but instead riding back to her accommodation on a motorcycle taxi after first staggering alone alone the main street.

Full story: http://www.pattaya103.com/the-girl-who-cried-wolf-attacks-thailands-policeforce-from-australian-tv-studio/

-- pattaya103.com 2012-08-30

footer_n.gif

Girl who cried wolf attacks Thailand's Policeforce from Australian TV Studio

By Staff Reporter

Thailand’s police force has to deal with three types of tourists; the genuine ones, the liars and the drunks and it doesn’t make for easy policing, especially in high density tourist areas.

So when an Australian woman, Stevie Bamford turned out to be a liar and, according to the TV interview, “alone, drunk and disorientated” a polite expression for “totally wasted”,, it must have been confusing, to say the least, for Phuket Police to deal with a potential victim of a henious crime …in that state… in a foreign language.

Earlier in the year, the young Australian, on holiday in Phuket, reported that she had been raped. Police took the claim very seriously and instigated an investigation which involved interviewing potential witnesses, checking the “so called” scene of the crime and reviewing the hundreds of hours of CCTV film from the numerous operational cameras set up around the nightclub area.

The result was that after WASTING police man hours, tape was found that showed her not, as she claimed, riding home in a tuk tuk and being assaulted but instead riding back to her accommodation on a motorcycle taxi after first staggering alone alone the main street.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...lian-tv-studio/

-- pattaya103.com 2012-08-30

footer_n.gif

How about Pattaya103.com forwarding this commentary to 60 Minutes in Australia with a suggestion on doing a segment on how some Australian tourists bring disrepute to Australian nationals reputation abroad