Considering Parting With My Canon 5D Mkii + Kit Lens

My camera is a little used 2009 model with the 24-105 kit lens in superb condition. I have never even taken the strap out of its wrapper (as i have my own). I have the original box and all the knick knacks in as new condition. The box and packaging are all as new. The only issue is the red band on the lens fell off, though i still have it somewhere. The lens hood also fell out of a cable car near Jericho in the West Bank in Palestine. LOL. I bought a replacement though it's fractionally shorter than the the plastic hood Canon provides. Otherwise the camera and lens are in mint condition. I actually bought it for shooting video, but prefer the form factor of conventional video cameras so am thinking it may be time to let it go. If it isn't going to fetch a fair price i'll happily hang on to it though. Just wondering what the camera is worth in Thailand and where might be a good place to sell it.

BTW, if there's a photographer out there with a video camera interested in some kind of exchange i'd consider that too.

Cheers.

Are you upgrading to the Mk.3? How many actuations has your camera done? I am only a novice photographer myself, but my 600D has brought me a lot of joy.

Particularly for what it cost, it has produced some stunning photos IMO.

Any ideas of what price you are looking for?

I may look a t a full frame camera at some point as my skills improve.

Rabbit

That's exactly what happened to me. I took the Camera to a friends wedding in Ireland, pulled it out of his bag and it fell off days after the warranty ran out. Canon wanted to charge me more than £100 b4VAT to put it back on. I told them to stuff it. It's a bit of plastic on an otherwise mint lens. I suppose i could glue it too if i need to.

A friend came over from Rangoon this weekend and has invited me over for a week next month so it looks like i'm going to hang onto this camera at least until then. I'll consider selling it after that.

Thanks for contributing.

Ah I just did some research and I see it's not uncommon. But little things tend to speak for overall quality. A friend of mine bought a used lens that had a bent filter ring, and the guy he bought it from said that was because he screwed a filter on too tight and accidentally warped the threads when trying to remove it with pliers. Glass was clean, so whatever, he thought.

A week later and the AF motor dies and the VR unit acts erratically - repair shop tells my friend the lens showed clear internal signs of a very rough drop front-first.

While I've never had a bad Craigslist experience, my buddy was out $1500.

MaxwellsDemon

That's a lousy comparison. The red ring is a flimsy bit of plastic added for purely cosmetic reasons to signify its heritage as a "luxury" product i believe. You cannot compare it with a metal thread which would sound alarm bells in my head too.

Anyway i don't need to sell the lens with it, there are plenty of people looking for Full Frame cameras with their own glass. The lens may not put that much on the value anyway and be worth hanging on to. It is a classy piece of glass and at some point i'll be looking for another video camera that can take such a lens.

I know it's a lousy comparison, since I said I said I realized its not uncommon after checking it out. I was just reiterating the earlier point of having to explain to wary buyers who may or may not be aware of the issue being normal.

I mean, how hard is it to properly seal a thin piece of plastic onto a lens? My regard of the 24-105 and Canon's build quality has gone down a notch, and whether or not that means anything to the lens' quality, it means the world to a person as a prospective buyer. Get my drift?

• 5 weeks later...

Don't want to hijack the thread but if anyone is in the market for a 24-105 immaculate kit lens shoot me a PM please or reply in the thread.

Only reason for selling is that I have most of those focal lengths covered with 17-40L, 70-200 and 35/50 primes and it is my least used lens (probably took no more than 50 pics with it).

If anyone has a decent copy / condition 50MM F1.2L or 16-35MM F2.8L they want rid of then I'd be happy to offer this lens and cash to trade.

Cheers.

Edited by afx