How To Kill Time In The Classroom -- Any Good Tips?

meand

You should never , 'Kill time in the classroom,' there are a host of activities one can put into action to ensure there is a fun learning review or a step forward content on whatever subject material that you are teaching and are going to teach as well as that you have already taught.

Video's are fine provided there is some sort of test as to what was happening, the test can be oral (team game) or a short written review of what was seen, the scope of opportunities is endless to make sure the kids are getting a decent educational input from your efforts.

You need to be, ''proactive not reactive.'' in the classroom.

The last several minutes can seem the longest. Those of us who are mere mortals may lose our voice or perhaps a lesson plan doesn't match up with the full time allotted. Teaching is not an exact science so it's not always possible to predict the exact pace of learning.

If your students have notebooks, one thing you could try is to give a quiz towards the end of the period (on the board) to see what they've learned. This can take 5-10 minutes (or more) and you get to walk around the room and check handwriting, who's slacking off, etc.

I like the quiz idea, and that may keep them on their toes. You could then grade the quizzes in class, and even go over them before that. This is a great idea the more I think about it -- weekly pop quizzes. MAybe even double side it and put a fun crossword on the back and you are talking like almost a whole hour at that point. Thanks for the suggestion!!

The constructive use of time in a classroom is very important. In reality, for a lot of teachers, it's reasonably important that the students in a particular grade level are covering the same material. Where I work, we have upwards of 14 levels of the same grade. They will all take the same exam, so it's challenging for the teachers who have the best classes and those with the worst classes.

If you can't continue to go forward, then I usually suggest a bit more depth to the lesson.

• Like 1

You could have them look at the next chapter and make your worksheet for you... the best worksheets could get some sort of reward. That way you have them pre-learning, you have them thinking ahead and you get a worksheet made for you. Print the best one out and give it to them the next class. That is at least an hour in total right there.

I'll summarize and try to keep it up to date:

1) videos

2) tests/quizzes -- go over/grade them -- maybe print a crossword on back of the test

3) have them create a worksheet for your next lesson, best get a reward and then hand that out next class

Edited by meand

When i find I have five minutes left at the end of a lesson. I choose ten students. Line them up in front of the class. I then get them to count 12345678910-987654321-2345 etc.

When a student says a wrong number, they sit down. Last one standing is the winner.

You can always prepare an "exit pass" Keep a few questions ready in you planning book or on a scrap of paper on your desk etc etc. Write down questions that would help you gauge their comprehension of the material. On those days you end up a few minutes short, pull out the questions. You can have them answer verbally or in their notebooks. You don't have to grade the answers either, but just check the percentage of students who grasped what they learn and use that info to plan your next lesson(s).

I think it depends on the reason why you are killing time. If it's because you push the students hard and believe they should have mini-breaks in the classroom, then most things that lighten the mood will work. Even putting the radio on for a few minutes can work but you need to remember that you expose yourself to criticism by doing so. A busy-body who walks past and catches you 'not-teaching' will often take great delight in informing someone of their discovery, so be careful whatever you do. Even though you may have a rationale, others may not buy it. If your colleagues are Thai, their approach maybe much more traditional than yours, they may not want to understand.

When i find I have five minutes left at the end of a lesson. I choose ten students. Line them up in front of the class. I then get them to count 12345678910-987654321-2345 etc.

When a student says a wrong number, they sit down. Last one standing is the winner.

What are the other students doing when ten have to count?

Seems to me that it isn't about killing time.

I'd suggest to ask them questions. Divide them into groups, give them points for the right answers.

Edited by sirchai

1) videos

2) tests/quizzes -- go over/grade them -- maybe print a crossword on back of the test

3) have them create a worksheet for your next lesson, best get a reward and then hand that out next class

4) put some tough questions on the board, put them into groups, have them work on getting the correct answers (thanks sirchai)

1) videos

4) put some tough questions on the board, put them into groups, have them work on getting the correct answers (thanks sirchai)

I never meant to write the questions on the board. Ask each group a question that's suitable for their level. Kids love it even at a secondary level.

Nobody wants to lose, so they WANT to answer your questions. Forty kids divided into four groups works pretty well.

Just give it a try, it works out for me..........wai.gif

What are the other students doing when ten have to count?

Seems to me that it isn't about killing time.

I'd suggest to ask them questions. Divide them into groups, give them points for the right answers.

We're talking about 5 mins of fun at the end of a lesson. No time really to put them into teams etc.

The rest of the class are usually keen to hear their friends mess up, but there will always be a few, in any class that don't want to participate.

You could have 3 different coloured boxes at the back of the class. On each box, write a different amount of time eg 5 mins, 10 mins and 15 mins. In each box, put a number of jubled worksheets according to how much time they will take to complete. If a student finishes an assignment before the end of class, you can direct them to take a worksheet from the correct box depending on how much time is left. This way, quicker students won't be bored and slower students will have more time to complete assignments without being pressured.

Edited by phosphorescent

Good idea or try some type of game. End the class on a happy note.

If a teacher is asking "how to kill time in a classroom" then I would certainly be questioning their teaching abilities. You're supposed to be teaching them, not waiting for the bell to go.

You should have a lesson plan written up for every lesson but then also have some extra activities in mind in case you get through the whole lesson plan before the time is up. Even if it's just a quick educational game it's still classed as learning. I have gathered a whole lot of resources and come up with at least 3 educational style games or activities I could play which fits into the topic I am covering and teaching. This mean you are never killing time... Just using it wisely. ;)

• Like 1

If a teacher is asking "how to kill time in a classroom" then I would certainly be questioning their teaching abilities. You're supposed to be teaching them, not waiting for the bell to go.

You should have a lesson plan written up for every lesson but then also have some extra activities in mind in case you get through the whole lesson plan before the time is up. Even if it's just a quick educational game it's still classed as learning. I have gathered a whole lot of resources and come up with at least 3 educational style games or activities I could play which fits into the topic I am covering and teaching. This mean you are never killing time... Just using it wisely. wink.png

Stay on topic please, this thread is about how to kill time in the classroom, if you have nothing to add you don't have to read or participate. Thank you :) Oh, and thanks for setting my moral compass straight, don't know what I would have done without you, not to mention there are probably 10 million reasons why any teacher may need to kill some time in a class.

Teach......... maybe ? blink.png

Let's try to stay on topic here, plenty of other threads for actual teaching. This thread is strictly about how to kill time in the classroom. Thanks smile.png

In the spirit of the thread then, and I must say this is probably the only thread on this subject on any internet teaching forum anywhere, ever...

in the context of Thai school teaching....

Kill time at the start of the lesson

KG - circle time - sit the class on the floor in a circle, ask them to pass a ball/toy and say how they feel. (20+ mins)

P1-6 - Insist on a circle game requiring major rearrangement of all chairs and desks (10 mins)

M1-3 - dictate something for the class to write. (15 mins)

Kill time during the lesson

KG - coloring. (15+ mins)

P1-6 - rearranging all classroom furniture after game, then coloring, cutting (if possible) or word-searches. (20+ mins)

M1-3 - make 'presentation' copies of work they've already done for the mythical display board that is also the trash can in the staff room. (20+ mins)

Kill time at the end of the lesson

KG - Play the 'Silent game' - seated with hands on heads if necessary. (10 mins)

P1-6 - play 'silent ball' - the class stand and have to sit if they talk whilst passing the ball silently. (5-10 mins)

M1-3 - dismissing them one-by-one after they answer a question correctly (10 mins)

Edited by aussiebebe
  • Like 1

You should have a lesson plan written up for every lesson but then also have some extra activities in mind in case you get through the whole lesson plan before the time is up. Even if it's just a quick educational game it's still classed as learning. I have gathered a whole lot of resources and come up with at least 3 educational style games or activities I could play which fits into the topic I am covering and teaching. This mean you are never killing time... Just using it wisely. wink.png

Stay on topic please, this thread is about how to kill time in the classroom, if you have nothing to add you don't have to read or participate. Thank you smile.png Oh, and thanks for setting my moral compass straight, don't know what I would have done without you, not to mention there are probably 10 million reasons why any teacher may need to kill some time in a class.

I think I am staying on topic. I said that you should always have games/activities related to the teaching topic prepared in case you have some time left over after your lesson plan. The kind of game/activity you play depends on what level, age and topic you are teaching...

Stay on topic please, this thread is about how to kill time in the classroom, if you have nothing to add you don't have to read or participate. Thank you smile.png Oh, and thanks for setting my moral compass straight, don't know what I would have done without you, not to mention there are probably 10 million reasons why any teacher may need to kill some time in a class.

I think I am staying on topic. I said that you should always have games/activities related to the teaching topic prepared in case you have some time left over after your lesson plan. The kind of game/activity you play depends on what level, age and topic you are teaching...

Thank you :) please feel free to be more specific with your time killing games and activities.

Teach......... maybe ? blink.png

Let's try to stay on topic here, plenty of other threads for actual teaching. This thread is strictly about how to kill time in the classroom. Thanks smile.png

In the spirit of the thread then, and I must say this is probably the only thread on this subject on any internet teaching forum anywhere, ever...

in the context of Thai school teaching....

Kill time at the start of the lesson

KG - circle time - sit the class on the floor in a circle, ask them to pass a ball/toy and say how they feel. (20+ mins)

P1-6 - Insist on a circle game requiring major rearrangement of all chairs and desks (10 mins)

M1-3 - dictate something for the class to write. (15 mins)

Kill time during the lesson

KG - coloring. (15+ mins)

P1-6 - rearranging all classroom furniture after game, then coloring, cutting (if possible) or word-searches. (20+ mins)

M1-3 - make 'presentation' copies of work they've already done for the mythical display board that is also the trash can in the staff room. (20+ mins)

Kill time at the end of the lesson

KG - Play the 'Silent game' - seated with hands on heads if necessary. (10 mins)

P1-6 - play 'silent ball' - the class stand and have to sit if they talk whilst passing the ball silently. (5-10 mins)

M1-3 - dismissing them one-by-one after they answer a question correctly (10 mins)

You get the golden post award. You time killing acumen is unrivaled. Please feel free to add more to the discussion if circumstances permit.

I've played this game with Mattayom students for over 10 years, it works with 9 out of 10 classes.

Draw 9 squares on the whiteboard as in noughts and crosses .In each square write one of the following-

Thailand, History, TV, Sport,Nature, Geography, Music,Science,General.

Divide the class into 2 teams and get them to select a square, you then ask them a question under that topic.The first team to get 3 crosses or noughts in a row gets a goal.

It requires preparation but google is a godsend.

For Thailand I note events over the last week that have been headlines.

Sport the same.

For music I check the current hits in the Thai top ten. I read them the song title in English, if they can't get it I read it in Thai.

History, Science, Geography plenty of stuff on the internet, ie where was Rama 9 born.

Often I give them 4 choices.

It takes me about an hour a week to prepare, often I jot stuff down as I'm reading the news, murder in Phuket, Englisgh lose penalty shootout (again), etc.

For TV I check Channel 3, 5 and & to see which soaps are on.

It's worked for 10 years!

• Like 1