Phuket Opinion: Corruption And The Duality Of Man

Lite Beer

ALL those living in Thailand are victims of corruption to some extent - wittingly or unwittingly; whether it is dealing with property and prices, services, getting through the bureaucracy, ....even your job can be dependant n corruption...pay outs to local "authorities, or are you employed because tour company gave a backhander to get a contract?

oror simply buying something in a shop, being stopped by the police.. or getting your bins emptied....no-one is immune.

Yes of course you are right. It's trickle down economics in reverse. That was my point earlier but the author of this opinion piece and some posters here believe that if they haven't physically handed 300B to a copper or other official then they have not been effected by corruption.

I like Nomads who refuse settlement, maybe we should build a temple EVERYWHERE WE GO??

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"trickle down"????

it has been estimated that Thailand's black economy is up to 70% of GDP - that's the largest in the world.

this is largely not tax evasion (taxes on income are relatively low in Thailand) but corruption and "criminal" activities.

"trickle down"????

it has been estimated that Thailand's black economy is up to 70% of GDP - that's the largest in the world.

this is largely not tax evasion (taxes on income are relatively low in Thailand) but corruption and "criminal" activities.

This is why I think it will be important for Thailand to get it's sh*t together before the ASEAN Economic Community is created in 2015.

Whilst I do not know much about it, I believe all the countries must meet certain criteria, in a similar way to countries joining the EU, and sadly, in my opinion, Thailand will fail in the corruption in business criteria.

Edited by NamKangMan

"trickle down"????

Trickle down economics refers to a concept where you give the rich more money and it will "trickle down" to the rest of the populace. In this case the opposite occures.The cost of corruption, for example, 60% of public works bits going to those that make the decisions on who gets the bids, trickles down to the pockets of the every citizen and visitor, not to mention that 70% "black" GDP not being taxed.

"trickle down"????

This is why I think it will be important for Thailand to get it's sh*t together before the ASEAN Economic Community is created in 2015.

Whilst I do not know much about it, I believe all the countries must meet certain criteria, in a similar way to countries joining the EU, and sadly, in my opinion, Thailand will fail in the corruption in business criteria.

And you really think they give a flying crap about ASEAN? Ah, sweet. Edited by silsburyhill

"trickle down"????

Trickle down economics refers to a concept where you give the rich more money and it will "trickle down" to the rest of the populace. In this case the opposite occures.The cost of corruption, for example, 60% of public works bits going to those that make the decisions on who gets the bids, trickles down to the pockets of the every citizen and visitor, not to mention that 70% "black" GDP not being taxed.

Yes - therefore "trickle" is a poor analogy (and an inaccurate one to boot) - the effects of corruption are felt directly by ALL Thai people wheher rich or poor, legit or illegit...there is nothing "trickle" about it it; it is all pervasive.

(PS - trickle-down doesn't actually exist)