Thaphae Pavements Mantraps

x-pat

Yesterday we had a guest from Bangkok, so we explored the somewhat more touristy parts of Chiang Mai, Tha Phae road and surroundigs, in particular. I noticed that the city planning or civil construction department, or whoever is responsible for this, decided to splash out on a new pavement for this area. Great idea in principle. Only that Tha Phae is now plastered -not with stone- but with rubble, dirt, and deep holes, over which tourists can be seen teetering and balancing. The street vendors seem to take things with a certain aplomb, building their stalls right on the rubble. It would be interesting to know whose idea it was to renew the pavements right in the middle of the peak season. Excellent planning, as usual!

Cheers, X-Pat

It would be interesting to know whose idea it was to renew the pavements right in the middle of the peak season.

This 'construction' along tapae has been going on throughout the year :o

Dscf8890.jpg

Edited by Ajarn

~

I call it the "one-step" syndrome. That seeming inability to see beyond right now.

While many of the improvements in the roads are welcomed, 'they' just don't seem to realize that the waste construction materials strewn into the roads create very real hazards!

Just the other day, riding a 125cc Wave during rush hour (I know, stupid) with wife on board, watching oncoming traffic in a street I was entering, found myself deep in construction trash and only my decades of motorcycling experience saved our butts. And it will be there tomoro, next week, next month, along with the bloodstains of those riders not so experienced...

Sort of a 'my fault/their fault' kinda thing, right? Somehow I keep expecting that workers will not simply fling bricks, chunks of concrete into a heavily travelled street then just go home without cleaning up.

Duh, when will I wise up...?

Ajarn: This 'construction' along tapae has been going on throughout the year

Which makes one wonder whether scheduling construction works in the tourist season or extending it over the whole year signals a greater degree of incompetence.

Obviously some Thai politicians have racked their brains over how to get more tourists to Chiang Mai. Suggested solutions range from exotic animals to cable cars.

How about not making a total mess out of the main tourist area?

Cheers, X-Pat

This 'construction' along tapae has been going on throughout the year :o

Seems like the Taphae obstacle course has been running for longer than a year now.

I heard from one of my friends that the powers-that-be are going to tear up Ratchadamnoen (again), remove the brick pavement that was laid so poorly and go back to a conventional road surface. Ratchadamnoen in its current wobbly form is a real joy to ride on a motorbike. :D

Although it's been an obstacle course for ages. Pavements on both sides of street only ripped up a few days before Xmas. Logically this would suggest someone checked out the small print on a piece of paper to do with budgets or loans and found the money only available if used before end of 2005 :o

Otherwise who in their right mind would tear up pavements just before New year.

But then of course there might be an illogical explanation for it. :D