Looking To Expat To Nakhon Si Thammarat

gnazi71

Hello everybody,

I'm a 41 years old swiss with thai wife and two daugthers (4 and 1 years old) looking to expat in Nakhon Si Thammarat region/city.

I have a bachelor in economics, speak Italian (mother language), English, German, French and very little thai.

My wife is shop assistant and speaks thai (mother language), Italian and English.

We would like to go to live in Nakhon Si Thammarat (my wife's city).

Thank you in advance for any suggestion or help or something.

Dan

Hello Sinclair,

to live in Nakhon Si Thammarat or in general in Thailand we need an income.

So we have to find a job (or two) or something else to earn enough money to live there (like a palm plantation or gum-tree plantation or something else).

At the moment we have very few ideas, but always googling...

Thank you a bye

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is a nice place.. quiet.. McDonald just openned? Progress. Business opportunities.. let your wife's family handle that one.. Try the local schools for opportunities there is a new international school. As a non-Thai you are going to have to jump through all the immigration hoops..and it will be as if they don't want you stay...

Visa status will be your key.. have your legal document related to your marriage officially stamped. and ready for translation..

Other than that.. welcome to the area

Depending on when you will arrive there are many job vacancies... Imigration is not a problem as long as you have a degree- and white skin colour (sorry of that comes out bad).

Nst is a quiet little town, we have some nice stuff here bit dont expect the..tourist stuff..

Your wife should know more, listen to her-

Welcome to nst, the slowmoving thai town...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Depending on when you will arrive there are many job vacancies... Imigration is not a problem as long as you have a degree- and white skin colour (sorry of that comes out bad).

Nst is a quiet little town, we have some nice stuff here bit dont expect the..tourist stuff..

Your wife should know more, listen to her-

Welcome to nst, the slowmoving thai town...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Actually not true.. that's mighty white of you.. hope that does not come out the wrong way as well.. Actually, the crew this time is better.. they appear to get thing done in a timely manner.. nice flow chart of the steps.. not at all like the last crew.. may I have a tip for processing your forms..

The folks at the work permit office actually do show a preference however..

Even though NST is close to the beaches, I have yet to visit one..

Edited by LivinginKata
quote corrected

• 1 month later...

Business opportunities.. let your wife's family handle that one.. Try the local schools

He said his wife is a shop assistant, therefore, do you really think she is best placed to advise on business opportunities. If she was, she would be shop owner, no?

• 1 month later...

Which part of Nakorn ? Nakorn is pretty big. I've been here 8 yrs. you'll catch up on Thai language very fast here. There are many "white" farang here in Nakorn . As for business, I suggest that you do what you are best at. It depend very much on your own personal skills. Don't do palm oil plantation if you don't know about palm oil trees. You will come across many problems in any profession . Unless you are quite rich and don't worry about loosing money or you are a very smart person. It would be better that you ask on what you intend to do as a profession.

Hope to see you in Nakorn city someday . Cheers.

Hello,

thank you for the answers.

Let me say that the "fever" to expat is going down.

After the holiday in may was very high.

We live (in holidays) in Chaloem Pra Kiat (Suanluang) south of NST.

My wife's family already have a little palm tree field, just enough for them to live (with other little jobs).

As I said I am accountant/economist and my wife is shop assistant.

Unfortunately I don't see many job chances.

I speak quite good english, german and french. My mother language is italian.

Here (Switzerland) I am stuck in a job that I don't like, but it give me to live.

I have to work many many years to reach retirement.

Thank you

Bye

why don't you try to work for big supermarket like Carrefour !!!

or private hospital.....then you have cars import

I live also in NST region ,apart Nst is not so much work for "farang" ..or you must set up your own business...or your wife can do and then can employ you...

you need to be there and make your owm prospection...I think you will need to speak more Thai to double your chance.

chok dii

• 5 weeks later...

These suggestions may be way wide of the mark...

As I said I am accountant/economist and my wife is shop assistant.

Is there anything you can do to offer other expats advice on handling money?

I speak quite good english, german and french. My mother language is italian.

Have you considered translation work? You'll probably be in a big market and be very under-paid, but it might bring in subsistence wages.

Mark...

(in Tha Sala)

• 5 months later...

Hello !

In two months I will be back in Thailand, wife and daughters will arrive sooner.

Now the "lust" to expat is very low, I think it will grow when I'll be back.

I thought a lot and arrived at a conclusion: I don't neek to expat.

If I had a good job (one that I like) I could stay here in Switzerland.

The problem is that I have a work that I hate.

In this year a had quite a lot of job interviews, but I always "arrived" 2nd or 3rd.

I miss something to get the "pole position".

I hope to get a new job soon and go to Thailand only for holidays (and in 20 years maybe for rest).

Bye for now

• 2 months later...

Just got back from NST.

Unfortunately this year we had no time to look for word or business.

We had so many work to do at home (renovation, new wall, etc).

Always busy. I was "sad" not to look for a job or business, but have to accept it.

An aunt of my wife said she has a shop in Koh Samui and it work great.

We'll see next year.

In the meantime I hope to find a job here, that would be great too.

I just hate my actual job.