'Secrets Bar & Hotel' Raid Leads To American Manager's Arrest: Pattaya

webfact

Does anyone remember the scene in the movie Casablanca, with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (I think), where "Louie," the police chief in Casablanca, conducts a raid on his favorite nightclub where Louie spends most of his time gambling and hanging out with Bogart,the owner (Rick in the movie)? When Rick asks Louie why the nightclub is being closed, Louie says, tongue in cheek, "I'm shocked, totally shocked, to learn that there is gambling here." Aren't we all shocked to learn that there is prostitution in those clubs in Pataya? Or in Thailand anywhere? lol

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another lesson on why it's a bad idea for a falang to try and run or own a business here in the Land of Corruption. Another board member said it best for falang thinking about owning or running a business here. If I remember it correctly it was: "Some how, some way, somewhere down the road, it will all end badly!" Well, it just went bad for Larry.

How is it this news worthy article has failed to run on Pattaya One. Did they overlook something or is that a statement

about underage sex and illegal activities are OK for some blokes.

I was reading on another forum that one of the managers got a16 yo pregnant about 5 years ago, if this is true that guy should get the max. Both in this country than in his. Keep in mind that the 16yo was most likely working at the venue years before getting knocked up.

You do know the age of consent in Thailand is 15 don't you ? yes there is some caveats but 15 it is.

Another lesson on why it's a bad idea for a falang to try and run or own a business here in the Land of Corruption. Another board member said it best for falang thinking about owning or running a business here. If I remember it correctly it was: "Some how, some way, somewhere down the road, it will all end badly!" Well, it just went bad for Larry.

Where have you been for the past few decades?

Land of Corruption? yes, but how does this relate to Larry and Secrets?

Did he run a "clean" business? NO. Was he "pimping" girls? YES. Is it Legal? NO

If this(something illegal of this magnitude) was in the West, he would be charged, sentenced and most likely loose his house, while here, he will pay "HUGE" penalty and back to business.

How is it this news worthy article has failed to run on Pattaya One. Did they overlook something or is that a statement

I was reading on another forum that one of the managers got a16 yo pregnant about 5 years ago, if this is true that guy should get the max. Both in this country than in his. Keep in mind that the 16yo was most likely working at the venue years before getting knocked up.

You do know the age of consent in Thailand is 15 don't you ? yes there is some caveats but 15 it is.

Hmmm, so if true, you think he had the girl's parents' permission?

I think you will find that a large number of bars on soi 6 are foreign owned, but all keep a low key and do not advertise luxury yacht's which were previously owned by prince etc etc etc, so the raids are more tamed with "less penalties"

You cannot draw any parallel between a hole-in-the-wall bar in Soi 6 and a high profile bar like Secrets. They're not in the same league. A Soi 6 bar doesn't have to "keep a low key", they ARE low key.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Hmmm, so if true, you think he had the girl's parents' permission?

What I think is irrelevant, I was not there and I doubt you or Platinum-Thai were either.

This place always gives me a chuckle. So many experts, some who obviously have never been to Pattaya, yet have an opinion. Oh well, just like we all have an a$$hole, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Secrets has not done anything that a hundred other bars have done in Patters for decades. How about the entirety of soi 6 for having "rooms" above the bar. It comes down to someone being pissed off at Ben or the bar itself and pulled some Bangkok strings to get the bar raided. Ben will have to spend some baht to sort it out, but it will be business as usual.

Not true. Secrets is not like hundreds of other bars. Most bars don't have hotels attached. Soi 6 does get raided quite often but the owners are Thai and they are small bars. How many high profile big gogo bars are part of a hotel complex AND owned by Foreigners?

Not too many.

I think you will find that a large number of bars on soi 6 are foreign owned, but all keep a low key and do not advertise luxury yacht's which were previously owned by prince etc etc etc, so the raids are more tamed with "less penalties"

You cannot draw any parallel between a hole-in-the-wall bar in Soi 6 and high profile bar like Secrets. They're not in the same league. A Soi 6 bar doesn't have to "keep a low key", they ARE low key.

But what made it high profile? the advertising, the cars, the forum etc. a hole in the wall also has rooms which they rent and use for other activities, but you are right on a much smaller scale.

There are hundreds of other hotels who run the same models as secrets, but they do not go on public tv to bragwai.gif

PS. I still do not understand why secrets decided to go public and stay on advertising on air for years

15 might rightly be so the legal age. However some of the staff apparently was banging her for some time and the only way of

getting to the truth is to find that Girl and get her side of the story.

story? perhaps thats what it might be, if he supposedly impregnated her a paternity test should do the job

15 might rightly be so the legal age. However some of the staff apparently was banging her for some time and the only way of

getting to the truth is to find that Girl and get her side of the story.

What, you want to listen to possible facts and reason, I thought "that guy should get the max. Both in this country than in his." you had already played out the part of Judge, Jury and executioner.

Good to see you have an open mind on what is clearly a murky matter.

I think this "bust" is a load of BS. Just a very public set-up and shakedown, nothing else.

Larry, the bar manager, is a good guy. One of the nicer guys you will ever meet in the LOS.

Sure, they have dancers and hostesses, but the place is about as naughty as the TV bar "Cheers"...

If you desire some company of one of the hostesses, you pay the bar to relieve her fron her shift obligation. Anything else that might happen is a private arrangement between you and the lady. Secrets has no part in it. This "all in" report is BS.

A voice of sanity amongst much muck-raking from those with personal grudges and agendas!

I think this "bust" is a load of BS. Just a very public set-up and shakedown, nothing else.

Larry, the bar manager, is a good guy. One of the nicer guys you will ever meet in the LOS.

Sure, they have dancers and hostesses, but the place is about as naughty as the TV bar "Cheers"...

If you desire some company of one of the hostesses, you pay the bar to relieve her fron her shift obligation. Anything else that might happen is a private arrangement between you and the lady. Secrets has no part in it. This "all in" report is BS.

I thought I read Larry was caught red handed handling the "pimp" money ?

That is exactly what put the final nail in the coffin

Media reports and stories hold just as much weight as "those in the know" here are spouting so who to believe.

Ben was involved in something nasty in Perth before he came out here.... anyone recall what that was ?

...and you believe everything the BiB reports to the media..?

do you have another version of events to share? You do not believe the staff handed him the money?

Do you really believe anything you read? Exactly how many papers are running the story?

so you saying he was not arrested? and the photo's are fake? what other locals papers are there? we already established that pattaya one is not running the story and the reasons, so who else?

We can read a lot of stuff. We can believe the Thai Police story. We can also believe in the Tooth Fairy, little green men from Mars, and the extra assassins on the grassy knoll in Dallas!

do you have another version of events to share? You do not believe the staff handed him the money?

Nope. Yep...

Nope. Yep...

Ok, so you believe that after staff receive the money, he allows them to hold on to it? You do realize that even if staff just gave him the money to put in the register is already evidence of "knowledge"

I am not clear why you trying to defend or deny the story?

No one, well me personally do not dispute guys personality, being a nice man etc etc.However he is running a bar and "pimping" does take place.

Does he deserve all the publicity and harsh punishment? no more or no less than the next guy running a bar 2 meters down.

This raids take place all the time and people with "right" connections pay the fine and get back to business.

This is just the reality of doing this kind of business in Thailand.

You want to be safe? open 7-11 or any other business which does not involve prostitution in any shape or form wai.gif

• Like 1

Same business model as every beer bar and go-go in the country. Someone representing the establishment has to accept the baht for the bar fine.

Same business model as every beer bar and go-go in the country. Someone representing the establishment has to accept the baht for the bar fine.

You have no argument from me, but when caught accepting the money, need to "share" itwink.png

Where have you been for the past few decades? Where have you been? This is Pattaya, Thailand we are talking about!

Land of Corruption? yes, but how does this relate to Larry and Secrets? Secrets is just one of hundreds of businesses in Pattaya doing the same thing. It's what "Sodom and Gomorrah by the Sea" is all about. Thousands of fish swimming up the river and this one fish has been arrested for, wait for it; swimming up the river!

Did he run a "clean" business? NO. Was he "pimping" girls? YES. Is it Legal? NO "Clean" business? This is Pattaya we are talking about. And if you believe the Thai Police, you are ready to buy that bridge in Brooklyn!

If this(something illegal of this magnitude) was in the West, he would be charged, sentenced and most likely loose his house, while here, he will pay "HUGE" penalty and back to business. Yes, this is true. It is also true that in the West, most of the Thai Police force would be arrested, tried, convicted, and serving prison time for being corrupt thieves.

It would be my guess that this has nothing to do with rival bar owners...and everything to do with an argument that started thousands of miles away from Thailand...on a England internet discussion forum, a year or so ago, between a English ex-pat poster living in Pattaya and a Thai lady living in England.

The Thai lady said she was from a diplomatic family and the ex-pat poster said he was an investor in Secrets...the argument about Thai ladies escalated...and my bet is, she did what she said she would do..

Edited by spike
  • Like 2

Where have you been for the past few decades? Where have you been? This is Pattaya, Thailand we are talking about!

Land of Corruption? yes, but how does this relate to Larry and Secrets? Secrets is just one of hundreds of businesses in Pattaya doing the same thing. It's what "Sodom and Gomorrah by the Sea" is all about. Thousands of fish swimming up the river and this one fish has been arrested for, wait for it; swimming up the river!

Did he run a "clean" business? NO. Was he "pimping" girls? YES. Is it Legal? NO "Clean" business? This is Pattaya we are talking about. And if you believe the Thai Police, you are ready to buy that bridge in Brooklyn!

If this(something illegal of this magnitude) was in the West, he would be charged, sentenced and most likely loose his house, while here, he will pay "HUGE" penalty and back to business. Yes, this is true. It is also true that in the West, most of the Thai Police force would be arrested, tried, convicted, and serving prison time for being corrupt thieves.

What is your point?

Are you saying that it is acceptable for other bars to be raided and owners to be arrested but not acceptable for Secrets?

Are you saying that Secrets does not pimp out girls? and their girls MUST NOT be bar fined?

Are you now saying that all business in Pattaya involved in prostitution?

Are you saying he was not aware what girls did before/during and after work?

Common get realblink.png

Bar was raided and he was caught red handed, pay the fine and move on, just like all other "similar" business in Pattaya and across Thailand.

All get raided at one point and all pay.

On a side note, i do find it very interesting that yourself and a few other members all happen to be interested ONLY in this topic, have the same amount of posts and all defending Secrets and denying the story.

Edited by phl