Irish Pub

sir_clumsy

Drove up to Korat this weekend to visit a friend. We met at the Irish Pub next to the Sima Tani (sp?) hotel. The place is nicely decorated, decked out with first class fixtures and has a great sound system and a couple of pool tables.

The owner says that she recently reopened after a long hiatus which was the result of the death of her husband. At the moment she's only serving drinks but I did see a food menu as well.

The place was dead empty on Friday evening. (Admittedly, we were there quite early.) But, it looks like a nice place to hang out. Small bottles of Chang and Tiger were 65 baht with other brands a bit more pricey.

Since Stickman says that you guys are a bunch of hopeless alcoholics I expected to see a few other patrons. So, where do you drink? And, if not the Irish Pub, why not?

. Small bottles of Chang and Tiger were 65 baht with other brands a bit more pricey.

A bit more pricey??????????????????????????????Makes my 30baht Chang worth coming to Surin for. Jeez! You won't get local ex-pats at those prices.

Edited by lampard10

"So, where do you drink? And, if not the Irish Pub, why not?"

"Small bottles of Chang and Tiger were 65 baht with other brands a bit more pricey."

Cur_Clumsy, you asked and answerd your own question in the same post :o

Patters/Phuket/Bangers/Samui/Hua Hin etc ...no problems. But up country, no way :D

The place was dead empty on Friday evening. (Admittedly, we were there quite early.) But, it looks like a nice place to hang out. Small bottles of Chang and Tiger were 65 baht with other brands a bit more pricey.

Ummmm, let's see. The place was "dead empty" (a bit boring then). The price of small bottles of Chang @ 65 Baht. Yes, I think you've answered your own question.

Having said that, I'll go on to say that the owner's husband, Fergus, who passed away from lung cancer a year and a half ago was a dear friend of mine. When he was managing the place, "locals" did come to see him. Indeed he spared no money to decorate the place and it is very nice. Mai (the widow) has previously made it somewhat clear to the locals that she preferred to cater to the American (and other country's) military when they came into Korat once or twice a year for joint military exercises with the Thai military. These guys, for obvious reasons, had no problem with the higher prices and the bar business would flourish during these times.

A bit of a sad story, but, moving on...wishing Mai the best. Perhaps at some point she will learn what it takes to compete with the other establishments in the area.

Hey Guys give him a little slak.He did say that it had just recently reopened and is next to the Simia Tani Hotel.Which is one of the first hotels as you enter Korat City from the south,and mostley only out of Thailand Farang stay there.So heck 65THB is alot compared to the 35THB for the large Chang in the Moo Ban but it is in Korat City.

I see Stickman was right after all....

:o

I had no idea it had opened again. and if i were to go there tonight it could well be closed again. I think that is one of the main reasons that the place was empty. The best solution for the Irish pub is for the owner to rent out the business to someone who could actually run it properly. Then she would also benifit from regular rent. It is a shame as the place was set up well.

:D

I had no idea it had opened again. and if i were to go there tonight it could well be closed again. I think that is one of the main reasons that the place was empty. The best solution for the Irish pub is for the owner to rent out the business to someone who could actually run it properly. Then she would also benifit from regular rent. It is a shame as the place was set up well.

Can't say I understand sir_clumsy's comment. I guess he thinks he can read between the lines of what is actually being written. :o

And agree, mpd. Also use to be able to get a glass of guiness draft for 90 Baht (not a pint) and I sure miss that. It's an 80 KM trip for me into Korat just to find out the place is closed or "dead". :D

:D

Can't say I understand sir_clumsy's comment. I guess he thinks he can read between the lines of what is actually being written. :D

And agree, mpd. Also use to be able to get a glass of guiness draft for 90 Baht (not a pint) and I sure miss that. It's an 80 KM trip for me into Korat just to find out the place is closed or "dead". :D

That was out of left field :o makes you wonder does it not ? :D And besides , when is stickman ever wrong ? hahahahahahahahah hheheheheheheeh

I was in the Irish bar last Sept when i was there. My GF took me there around midnight and the place was packed....not sure what night, I think it a Tuesday. Anyways, I like it during vacation time, but could see how the local ex-pats wouldn't frequent it due to the prices.

travlling..... :o

I drive by this place almost every day. It was indeed open last weekend when clumsy was there, but it has been closed for the last few days. I'll drop by this evening for a beer or two (even at 65 baht) if it's open. I've only been in once. That was a few months ago and it was completely full of Australian Air Force Officers. But, as noted it is nicely decorated with lovely fixtures and a fine sound system.

I stopped by the Irish Pub last night about 5:30 PM. It was closed; steel shutter rolled down over the front door, lights off, no sign of any activity.

She probably opened it for a few days and decided to give up when nobody showed.

I hope she comes to her senses and leases it out to someone who really knows how to run a pub. It has great potential in the right hands.