Thaksin Dismisses Threat Of Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

george

Thaksin dismisses threat of terrorist attack in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday dismissed the possibility of an impending terror attack in Bangkok after a Singapore-based security expert warned the government that southern insurgents would soon bring their bloody fight to the country’s capital.

“Until now there has been no trace of a possibility of terrorism spreading to Bangkok as suggested,” Thaksin told reporters. “Thailand and Malaysia have consistently had good cooperation at every level. I believe there will be no problem.”

Thaksin’s comments were in response to warnings by Rohan Gunaratna, a security expert who heads a terrorism-research program at the Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies in Singapore.

An attack in Thailand’s capital is “now just a matter of time,” Gunaratna said in a telephone interview yesterday.

“They [southern insurgents] have the capabilities [to attack Bangkok], and their reach is increasing. They’re increasingly able to operate outside the traditional territory of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat,” he said.

Gunaratna said he had warned the Thai government that unless it expanded its intelligence networks, engaged more with the Muslim leadership in southern Thailand and improved cooperation with neighboring Malaysia, Bangkok would almost certainly be targeted by separatist insurgents based in the South.

“Bangkok must improve the quality of its intelligence. This insurgency is an intelligence war – it’s not so much a military campaign. By increasing the military presence, the hostility of the Muslims will grow and the insurgency will gain more support,” Gunaratna said.

The reason insurgents from the southern border region have so far refrained from launching terrorist attacks on the capital and other major targets outside the Muslim-majority South was tactical rather than impracticable, he added.

More than 1,000 people, mostly innocent civilians, have been killed in shootings, bombings and arson attacks in Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat for more than two years.

Armed Forces Supreme Commander Gen Ruengroj Mahasaranon yesterday did not rule out the possibility of insurgents attempting to carry out an attack on Bangkok, but insisted the armed forces were capable of preventing an attack.

“Academics are academics. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we will take any opinion into consideration,” Gen Ruengroj said. “But we have to study the facts further to ascertain how possible it is.

However, in terms of monitoring the situation, or a possible attack, the armed forces are fully prepared.”

Despite the government’s insistence that the cosmopolitan capital – home to more than 10 million people – is not under threat, foreign governments, such as the British and

Australian, have been issuing travel advisories on Thailand for some time due to the “high threat” of a terrorist attack here.

Any attack in Bangkok would inevitably damage the country’s tourism industry, a cornerstone of the Thai economy that contributes billions of baht each year.

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyratakalin also dismissed the possibility of the southern insurgency spreading to Bangkok, but said steps would nevertheless be taken to prevent an attack.

“The report was spread for political gain. It can’t be true because Thai people are not extremists or vicious,” Gen Sonthi said.

“However, the army will try to find measures to prevent the problem, by cutting any conditions which could constitute a connection between the South and Bangkok.”

Deputy Prime Minister Pol Gen Chitchai Wannasathit dismissed the warning and insisted there was no need to increase cross-border cooperation with Malaysia because Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur were already “exchanging close to 100 percent” of their intelligence on terrorist activities.

Defence Minister Gen Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya yesterday said security along the Thai-Malaysian border would be stepped up to prevent suspected insurgents escaping across the Kolok River and the jungle-clad hills that mark the frontier between the two neighbors.

“Militants fleeing to Malaysia is common, and not a major concern because we receive good cooperation from Malaysia,” Thammarak said.

“We will focus on vulnerable areas where people can enter and exit the country easily to prevent traveling of militants across the border in both directions.”

Earlier this week Gen Thammarak said the armed forces were beefing up the country’s counter-terrorism capabilities as part of ongoing improvements, but denied the measures were in response to any specific threat.

--manager.co.th 2006-01-08

Thai security must be aware of the most likely terrorist targets.

Nana Plaza should be high on the list, yet no barricades protect the entrance.

Could be, but what about the airport....a major 4/5* hotel or big shopping centre? There are SO many targets :o

LaoPo

I remember a long time ago when an IRA spokesman once said: -

The security forces have to be lucky ALL of the time, we only need to be lucky once.

At that time bombs were going off in London.

To go back further in Brighton the IRA planted a bomb in the hotel that the Conservative party were holding a conference at, and the experienced UK security teams did not find that.

george Posted Today, 2006-01-08 19:11:34

Gunaratna said he had warned the Thai government that unless it expanded its intelligence networks, engaged more with the Muslim leadership in southern Thailand and improved cooperation with neighboring Malaysia, Bangkok would almost certainly be targeted by separatist insurgents based in the South.

“Bangkok must improve the quality of its intelligence. This insurgency is an intelligence war – it’s not so much a military campaign. By increasing the military presence, the hostility of the Muslims will grow and the insurgency will gain more support,” Gunaratna said.

The reason insurgents from the southern border region have so far refrained from launching terrorist attacks on the capital and other major targets outside the Muslim-majority South was tactical rather than impracticable, he added.

It is only a matter of time and a bomb planted anywhere along Sukhumvit road from Soi 55 down towards the city centre would cause absolute chaos.

QUOTE(The Skipper @ 2006-01-08 20:00:41) *

Thai security must be aware of the most likely terrorist targets.

Nana Plaza should be high on the list, yet no barricades protect the entrance.

Could be, but what about the airport....a major 4/5* hotel or big shopping centre? There are SO many targets ph34r.gif

LaoPo

Deny deny deny...Thai inteligence...do me a favour, why many terrorists and criminals choosing Thailand as their base for operations? Cause noone cares in this country, everybody are busy in making tea money, going to have lunch all together at 12 and keep many mia nois and new cars to show the friends. Thaksin making a mistake again, instead of telling ppl that he will take all the measures to prevent the attack, he dismiss the posibility of such an attack. The one thing is different now: he cant control those guys that ready to blow themselves, unlike his other critics in media and opposition. I say lets pray that it wont happen, or if it happen not many lives will be taken.

Deny deny deny...Thai inteligence...do me a favour, why many terrorists and criminals choosing Thailand as their base for operations? Cause noone cares in this country, everybody are busy in making tea money, going to have lunch all together at 12 and keep many mia nois and new cars to show the friends. Thaksin making a mistake again, instead of telling ppl that he will take all the measures to prevent the attack, he dismiss the posibility of such an attack. The one thing is different now: he cant control those guys that ready to blow themselves, unlike his other critics in media and opposition. I say lets pray that it wont happen, or if it happen not many lives will be taken.

Actually, the government has been surreptiously taking steps for the last twelve months or so to prevent any terrorist activity related to the south taking place.

1. There are now an unprecedented number of police road checks leading to the capital - vehicles with registration plates indicating that they were registered in the southernmost provinces will be routinely stopped and their occupants questioned and vehicles searched.

2. Again - air travellers flying internally within the kingdom, particularly from the south are being scrutinised if flying to Bangkok or other major tourist destinations.

3. Predominately Muslim areas located within Bangkok and it's environs are under surveillance - Kanayoa near Minburi and Thung Khru across the river come to mind.

4. There is a stepped up police presence in most of Thailand's tourist areas and resorts - in fact, Thailand's security services have not come down from their level of highest alert since October of last year.

5. Continued monitoring of Thailand's international and domestic telecommunications traffic continues.

BUT WHAT REALLY OF CONCERN IS THAT A TERRORIST GROUP WITH NO KNOWN AFFILIATION TO THE INDEPENDENCE GROUPS CURRENTLY OPERATING IN THE SOUTH (which are, in the main, loosely assembled groups comprising very few individuals, operating mainly independently, with no "real" co-ordination between regional centres of activity.) COULD PRE-EMPT THEIR THAI COUNTERPARTS - ANY SUCH ACTIVITY WOULD INDICATE A WIDENING SPHERE OF CO-OPERATION.

IMHO an attack is imminent....it's not a question of whether....but when!

So what measures would you propose to prevent an attack?

To tell you the true, based on my experience of few years, nothing will help to prevent the bombing if planned and implemented by suiside bomber with support of locals(BKK residents). Explosives will be smuggled from Malaysia across the border, after brought by sea to one of the ports close to BKK and driven in by the high way. The bomber will fly himself by the air from the South to BKK, or will be one of the local Muslim students. I just hope that those guys will blow themselves before actually making an act, as it happens many times with unexperienced terrorists.

Famous last words...... :o

Toxin is definitely suffering from "Foot in Mouth" disease!

Next time you visit Nana Plaza, check the layout and the lax "security" (sic)

One way in, and NO way out and it's like a stockade.

To tell you the true, based on my experience of few years, nothing will help to prevent the bombing if planned and implemented by suiside bomber with support of locals(BKK residents). Explosives will be smuggled from Malaysia across the border, after brought by sea to one of the ports close to BKK and driven in by the high way. The bomber will fly himself by the air from the South to BKK, or will be one of the local Muslim students. I just hope that those guys will blow themselves before actually making an act, as it happens many times with unexperienced terrorists.

Doi Thong, you seem you 'know' a lot about these things....scary! :o please explain your 'knowledge'!

Why would they go as far (from the south) as BKK when they could do the same devastating impact in a resort-island like Phuket or even Samui? Phuket (The whole world KNOWS where Phuket is...Tsunami..remember?) would have the same impact as BKK !!!

Anyway, it's a terrible and scary subject :D

LaoPo

Doi Thong, you seem you 'know' a lot about these things....scary! :o please explain your 'knowledge'!

Why would they go as far (from the south) as BKK when they could do the same devastating impact in a resort-island like Phuket or even Samui? Phuket (The whole world KNOWS where Phuket is...Tsunami..remember?) would have the same impact as BKK !!!

LaoPo

[/qu

The impact it would have in Bangkok would be insurmountable, especially now that Thaksin has dismissed it......However if you want a soft target I'd say Samui would be the one, what with a total of 12 police and a few detectives fumbling around trying to solve a list of crimes as long as your arm.

No amount of security will stop a determined bomber, London has had enormous security for years, and still the occasional bomb goes off. Do you rate Thai security forces alongside British? Easy for a bomber here. Taksin's arrogance is an open invitation.

Sure, there are way too many places to guard against an attack. I'm just asking for something to be done at the most obvious places.

Nana Plaza is the PRIME target for fanatics looking for a Bali type impact yet a truck or car can drive right into the heart of the place at 10pm on a Saturday nite.

This might be the most tempting spot in town, I'm scared to go in there and so are lots of others.

How much effort would it take to put a gate or turnstiles up at Nana Plaza?

If I owned a business in there, I be all over it, getting some protection in place.

I do notice the 5-star JW Marriot around the corner from Nana is taking it serious.

Billions would be lost, airlines laying off staff, hotels running at a loss, the economy will be in a tailspin for years if somthing bad happens.

what the government should be doing, and that includes the Bangkok Governor, (yes that means you Mr Apirak) is to prepare the civil defense and services for response should such an event occur. we must live with the assumption that an attack is an inevitable reality, and get on with preparing ourselves for it. the world has changed and we must accept it, irrespective of what the politicians say.

the fire services, ambalance and evacuation and medical services, police coordination in maintaining law and order, clear channels of communication both between government services and between authorities and the public, organisation of media, traffic control, these are just some of the areas that need planning and a few trial exercises to prepare for the attack.

as an aside, i'm not sure the government even formally acknowledges that places like Nana exist, let alone undertake security measures for it. i can think of many more worthy tourist areas that need protection in their eyes, the palace, the emerald buddha, national monuments and even the main embassy streets or local shpping areas like patumwan. those of you who frequent places like Nana should definitely visit at your own risk.

“The report was spread for political gain. It can’t be true because Thai people are not extremists or vicious,” Gen Sonthi said.

Of course people who cut heads, pose road side bombs and burn temple can't be "vicious".

Who once said that war is always a too serious matter to be managed by military.... ?

Sure, there are way too many places to guard against an attack. I'm just asking for something to be done at the most obvious places.

Nana Plaza is the PRIME target for fanatics looking for a Bali type impact yet a truck or car can drive right into the heart of the place at 10pm on a Saturday nite.

This might be the most tempting spot in town, I'm scared to go in there and so are lots of others.

How much effort would it take to put a gate or turnstiles up at Nana Plaza?

If I owned a business in there, I be all over it, getting some protection in place.

I do notice the 5-star JW Marriot around the corner from Nana is taking it serious.

Billions would be lost, airlines laying off staff, hotels running at a loss, the economy will be in a tailspin for years if somthing bad happens.

Turnstiles? Pointless. A truck bomb detonated from the street would have sufficient effect.

And talk of smuggling explosives from the South or from outside the country is ridiculous. There's quite enough diesel fuel and fertilizer in and around Bangkok to do the job.

The risk of a bombing in Bangkok is much lower than most people would think.

No international terror group is up for it simply because Thailand doesn't count for much.

And the conflict in the South is not going to be brought to Bangkok. The warlords down there who are conducting the campaign (which is economic rather than ideological) are too afraid of the reprisals that would follow.

LaoPo

Knowledge is from Middle East...unfortunatelly..They will blow in BKK, cause they are not the decision makers. Read between the lines: SINGAPOREAN INTELLIGENCE predict a bomb in BKK, That means that Singaporeans intercepted a message or know of meeting between Thai insurgency and outsiders(I would say Malay). But the demand for such a bomb come from international organizations based mostly in Middle East and invest the money in this war in SEA through funding muslim schools and taking some money aside from the balooned budgets. They targeting Thailand right now for few reasons:

1. Mostly Biddhist country that have a problem with Muslim minority

2. Many tourists

3. Lack of intelligence, security and experience in counter-terrorism

Anyway the time will show if the locals will be stupid enough to agree to make such an act on pressure from outsiders and heavy financial pressure, or they will realise that this move will bring harsh reaction of Thai goverment towards them. I hate to say that, but I think they will decide to strike...:-(

No international terror group is up for it simply because Thailand doesn't count for much.

And the conflict in the South is not going to be brought to Bangkok. The warlords down there who are conducting the campaign (which is economic rather than ideological) are too afraid of the reprisals that would follow.

I'm sorry, but you sound like the gvt's spokeman...

Since 2 years, they serve us the bitter soup "it's not islamist terrorism". It's mafia, economic or whatever.

Hum...

Cut off heads is surely a very mafia style of "expression" or '"struggle".

Besides, when you say that "thailand doesn't count" what about Indonesia and the attacks that occured in Bali ?

For a muslim, Thailand would count indeed much more because the muslim minority here is seen as oppressed. Which is not the case in Indonesia...

I am always a little worried that even discussing such a subject may inadvertently provide ideas to those who might wish to employ them.

What to do.... very worrying..

AGREE! Let' stop here and now!

LaoPo

I am always a little worried that even discussing such a subject may inadvertently provide ideas to those who might wish to employ them.

What to do.... very worrying..

AGREE! Let' stop here and now!

LaoPo

Guys, they dont need our ideas...they know what and how and where to do.

what the government should be doing, and that includes the Bangkok Governor, (yes that means you Mr Apirak) is to prepare the civil defense and services for response should such an event occur. we must live with the assumption that an attack is an inevitable reality, and get on with preparing ourselves for it. the world has changed and we must accept it, irrespective of what the politicians say.

the fire services, ambalance and evacuation and medical services, police coordination in maintaining law and order, clear channels of communication both between government services and between authorities and the public, organisation of media, traffic control, these are just some of the areas that need planning and a few trial exercises to prepare for the attack.

as an aside, i'm not sure the government even formally acknowledges that places like Nana exist, let alone undertake security measures for it. i can think of many more worthy tourist areas that need protection in their eyes, the palace, the emerald buddha, national monuments and even the main embassy streets or local shpping areas like patumwan. those of you who frequent places like Nana should definitely visit at your own risk.

Are you having a laugh Dude, do you really think that Thailand is capable of that level of organization?

Nana Plaza is hard to protect. They need a bevy of gay security guards to keep an eye on possible terrorists instead of the other activities!

All kidding aside, BKK is a good target, remember, it is the seat of gov't as well as where all the embassies are located. Quite a few years ago, there was an attempted bombing of either the Israeli or US Embassy--the truck hit a motor bike and was unable to negotiate a fee for the damages. The driver (a middle eastern man), fled, the truck was hauled to the police station and about a week later it started to stink. They found the body of the owner or his driver stuffed in a barrel and the rest of the truck loaded with fertilizer and diesel fuel (as I recall). It was a complete accident that it didn't reach it's destination.

At this point in time, there are just too many fanatics out there with too many agendas not to take precautions.

On the positive side, I have noticed a lot more security in BKK. Cameras, guards that are actually paying attention to things and police presence.

It's not a good idea for the PM to issue a challenge to anybody at this time, though.