Who Is Going To Clean Trashy Beaches In Krabi Region?

maidu

Recently a potential customer of mine in Lanta informed me he will be opening an Eco-Resort, where the will use just natural biodegradable products, such as the natural drinking straws instead of the plastic ones the markets throw in the bags by the dozens.

He also will begin distribution of recycling bins around Lanta, for the start of garbage separation, plastics in one bin, natural stuff in another, etc.

I must say this type of action is what Thailand needs, as opposed to foreigners spouting about it on a forum board.

Three cheers for Didier !

Congratulations Maidu on starting this thread. As a gypsy beach bum, I have noted the disgusting condition of Krabi's beaches, and at MOST other beaches in Thailand and Malaysia.

I never waste a stroll along the beach. As soon as I come across a plastic bag, I grab it and start filling it with rubbish. On many, many occasions, and without requesting assistance, other local and farang volunteers come and help. A number of the locals have expressed to me a feeling of embarrassment and shame of what has happened to their coastal playgrounds.

I have read the very negative comments you have received here. Just like many Thais, the attitude seems to be "Why bother? It's the same all over the world and it is not going to get any better."

But I prefer to think and act in a positive way. By being seen scouring the beach for discarded plastic and cigarette butts, if I can change the mindset of a few other people, then maybe with other likeminded people, we have a chance of saving Mother Earth.

We do not inherit this planet from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

• Like 1