Koh Chang

55Jay

First time on this island last month. First day at the hotel, a few beers beachside, at high tide, did see some fish jumping around.

Think I was having Guam flashbacks as on morning #2, about 0630, in the rain, found myself hip deep tossing the silver blue Kastmaster around, not expecting anything and that's what happened. The tide was ebbing, not good timing. Wanted to get a kayak out into the channel but the staff wouldn't give one up until max high tide and at that time, wouldn't be enough time to get out, fish and get back over/through the reef cut.

Anyway, it was good to be outside, in the water, fishing the backs of the waves. The view back toward the island, with the mountains shrouded in low hanging mist/clouds, and the sound of the waves, was really great.

Anybody fished Koh Chang or other island beaches with results?

If you are hoping for fishing like Guam then prepare to be dissapointed. sad.png

I've not fish koh chang, only koh si chang. I will bet it's like most place where you only stand a chance of a good fish if you go out on a boat.

That's for sure. It was more Guam flashbacks because of the surroundings as I used to reef walk around to a channel cut between a headland and a small island similar to where I was at on Koh Chang (Sea View Resort). Expectations were realistic before I hit the water but it beats being at work.

I've done some beach casting and Kastmaster tossing at the Navy base in Sattahip down past the Korean camp. Same same. Locals keep talking up squid fishing from the rocks there, but that just doesn't interest me.

I was encouraged by a post/photos on here a number of months back of Thais pulling what looked like Calico Bass off a rocky beach area in northish pattaya. Dinks, but one or two were very nice in the photos. Mate and I drove up there looking, found the spot (with requisite rubbish strewn around) and endeavor to try one day. I know they are not Calicos, but dark brown spotted bass looking. I'm not good with Thai fish names.

J

Edited by 55Jay