Chumphon...... Do You Live In The Area?

udon

Talking to another member last night and the subject of where to live in LOS came up.

Chumphon was suggested.

Tried the search engine but most items abt Chumphon, were about floods and malaria. :o

What is it like living there?

House rentals, supermarkets etc?

Thanks for any info. :D

Talking to another member last night and the subject of where to live in LOS came up.

Chumphon was suggested.

Tried the search engine but most items abt Chumphon, were about floods and malaria. :o

What is it like living there?

House rentals, supermarkets etc?

Thanks for any info. :D

I have a friend who lives there, he could be a less active on this board. Been to his place 2 times.

Chumpon itself is worth nothing (it has supermarkets and ATMs), the beaches around it are ok. Cabana Beach, Thai tourist resort (low end), the friend rents a 3 storey house with 5 (or six) bedrooms and that many bathrooms for 5K baht per month altogether, 500m from the sands.

IMO, much nicer to live there than upcountry. If nobody else would, I'll post some pics later (when I am back from Paragon ).

I know Chumphon well and it has its good and bad points but overall it is a desirable place to live in my opinion. The main square of the town is hot, dirty, dusty and confusing to navigate at first but that is because it is jam packed with all sorts of Ma n Pa stores. There is a supermarket located next to KFC but it is nowhere near as good as Tesco Lotus or Big C but there is an ongoing rumour that Tesco Lotus will open a place there sometime in the near future.

Just outside of town you will find that life is far quieter and more picturesque. There are many beaches around Chumphon and the water is crystal clear and so nice to bathe and swim in. The beaches sadly are becoming more scruffy and unkempt but it is mostly litter and flotsam swept in from the ocean which they could easily tidy if they organised a proper volunteer force i.e. the locals who live and work there.

The people are very friendly and polite and the ladies of Chumphom are also very beautiful but it is honest relationships you will have to strike up as its not the type of place that encourages prostitution, basically everyone knows everyone else or is in some way related through friends and family but don tlewt that fool you into thinking there are not a lot of people, there is but because they are friendlier everyone associates with each other on one level or another

If you want to know more you can always pm me and I will be glad to tell you more

JAF

TTM

IMO, much nicer to live there than upcountry. If nobody else would, I'll post some pics later (when I am back from Paragon ).

Thanks TTM, I'd certainly like to see those pics. That house of your friend sounds my style. :o

JAF, I will PM you later, thanks to both of you.

TTM

Thanks TTM, I'd certainly like to see those pics. That house of your friend sounds my style. :o

Sorry, my plane is leaving in 2 hours..no time now. Will post tomorrow.

In short, the house I talked about is one in a string of 10, all for lease/sale. TTYL.

Hi close to bed time so won't say much for now. Chumphon depends more on what you like. If you need bangkok maybe too quiet. Tell me something about what you want to see if it has it. Will probably move near there in about two years as my wife is from that area. It is quiet but have some good festivals. Lots of relatively undeveloped ocean front. Some nice islands and good boating. A lot of fishing. Seems to be a relatively prosperous area. Lots of nice country not too far away. About six and one-half hours from Bangkok. Not too much of a farang presence yet. The gate way to koh Tao

Hope this helps a bit. Like I say I don't live there yet.

Thanks TTM.

Any more? :o

My ideal rental would be a 2 br house on poles or on a hillside and with a long way to my nearest neighbour as I will have a very large portable/CKD Aviary. (parrots don't whisper) :D

10-15 mins walk to a beach is fine by me, besides, salt air is not good for PCs.

Thanks TTM.

Any more? :o

My ideal rental would be a 2 br house on poles or on a hillside and with a long way to my nearest neighbour as I will have a very large portable/CKD Aviary. (parrots don't whisper) :D

10-15 mins walk to a beach is fine by me, besides, salt air is not good for PCs.

I have more but there are people in them, identifiable. Will see if I can blure them out and stick some more.

If not, I'll PM you with links.

It's been now 6 years that the friend has been living there. Maybe 10 other farangs in the area. Restaurants on the beach are dirt cheap, maybe half Bangkok street vendor prices.

The trouble with living on the beach could be relative isolation - if you need a school for someone then 10-15km bike ride to Chumpon every day. Also, if you want BKK Post, Chumpon again. Minimart is locally available.

The beach is relatively clean compared to Pattaya, maybe even cleaner than Hua Hin. The problem is - there are sand flies on it, you can't just sit or sunbath on the beach.

Someone told me Chumpon area is among top 10 when it comes to receiving rainfall. Ranong is not far, for visa runs.

• 2 months later...
TTM

BAM meesa4 please copy me. Do you know more about the houses for sale/leas ..10 of them

What is it exactly that makes the Oriental Princess famous? I'll be arriving Friday via train from Bangkok and it wouldn't hurt to be hep.

Anyone care to share hotel tips for Chumphon [or Rannong for that matter]? I still have to book rooms...

What is it exactly that makes the Oriental Princess famous? I'll be arriving Friday via train from Bangkok and it wouldn't hurt to be hep.

Anyone care to share hotel tips for Chumphon [or Rannong for that matter]? I still have to book rooms...

If you have a camera, take some pics of Chumphon and post the pics here... not the beach. :o

• 2 weeks later...

sorry just read your post, guess you might been to Chumphon, I like the Oriental Princess shower cream especially Exotic Paradise, personally I think this brand is a lot better than Boots. Their hair mask is superb.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Noodles

No i didnt do any diving or snorkelling, just a bit of swimming and relaxing but there was lots of advertising for dive trips etc,,, and the hotel we stayed in claimed to be a dive centre so i guess it will prob be quite good.

cheers

Hi there Liholang, did you do any diving when you were there? if yes, what was it like, also any good snorkeling? I like to go spear fishing, is it possible?

Thanks for the pictures, very interesting.

Cheers Noodles. :o

• 3 weeks later...

The diving takes place mostly in Koh Tao. 1-2 hour boattrip from there.

I have been to this resort, although it looks good, it is too isolated for me. Nothing within walking range. Even on a motorcy it takes a while before ypu arrive at something interesting. They have a large swimming pool, the beach is ok, wide but has no "charm".

I choose for Had Sairee, a small village with some island very close to the coast, which makes for easy trips and what i like, nice views.

If you want very quiet and peace this is the right spot, if you want restaurants, bars, anything resembling a lively nightlife this can be a nightmare. :o

Nice topic :o . I'll tell you why . Last time i was in Thailand ( 2 months ago , going back in 1 month ) i was talking to a long time Thai friend of me about me buying land and starting a company to do so . He told me about a piece of beach land at Chumpon . I wasn't very interested at 1st sight ( not sight really , he just told me together with the pricetag ,size and possible risks and all kind of other stuff ) but because of the price and full confidence in this man it can be something very good . I think when i go next time i'll go see him and ask him to take me to the piece . Allways wanted beachview or beach land but in developed parts this is very expensive . Maybe i'll go for it if i like the envirement , but it doesn't look bad at all and the future can be a real rewarding thing . :D

Check the land out at sunrise or sunset, to see if you will be plagued by mozzies or sandflies. :D

Off course , i don't want to be eaten alive :o hahaha. I also know about all the other pitfalls which are around and need to be checked out . As long at isn't too far away from other people there's allways somebody else who is going to be eaten also .... hehehe . The pictures shown here look promising ....