Mepps Lures Available Here?

Mahseer

Does anyone know if you can buy these Mepps lures in country? I am in Chiang Mai and certainly nothing here:

Aglia number 2. Gold or silver blade with black spots and treble hook.

Looking for a dozen as back up for next trout trip in India.

Thanks

A lot of the shops I visit in BKK have a few Mepps spinners on their shelves, but never very many nor a wide selection. It's pretty hit-or-miss.

I'd suggest going to mail order if you want a dozen, or you'll burn up a lot of time and effort to scrounge up some second or third choices.

impulse, cheers for this.

I did spend an hour making up an order with Amazon before I posted here but on the final page of the order I am told they can't ship to Thailand. So then I went to Mepps direct and made out another order but then found out they only ship within the States so pretty much out of ideas so posted here.

Cheers

Yeah, I usually stock up if/when I hit the states. Have found a few goodies in and around Pattaya but no exp CM. I found myself in Las Vegas on my birthday a few years ago and stumbled across the big Bass Pro Shop. Credit card got a real work out.

Topic segway, or maybe a new post if you didn't mind(?), but you piqued my interest mentioning trout in India. I wouldn't parachute on top of you, but I am interested in your trips and experiences with that.

Thanks and regards,

J

55Jay, not a problem. I'll post here as dedicated India threads tend to disappear:

I spend 4-6 months a year in India mostly in the Himalayas and last August I visited Pahalgam in Kashmir for 10 days (8 days fishing) to chase brown trout and very nice it was too. Scenery tremendous, browns to 12'' and pretty much guaranteed catch if the streams are running clear not bad as my introduction to the world of fly fishing. There are also the occasional rainbow but these are escaped fish from the hatchery there. (The lures are just back up when the trout aren't interested).

The main stream was the Lidder which disects Pahalgam and we fished different beats each day but we did lose 2 days to rain but not much you can do there.

Accommodation was in a private 7 bedroom house and we hired a Toyota Innova to cart us about. Permits are required and need to be booked in advance. Each beat is 3-4kms.

I am heading back there in a month to visit new areas including one with 'monster rainbows' and another place that's about as classic a trout stream I will ever see by all accounts.

Numbers in baht:

Private house: 1,500/night/room. (The owner did stay one night but nobody else aside from driver).

Food: Either trout at the house or Indian in town. Say 400.

Beers: 120 each.

Day permit: 700.

Ghillies tips: 300/day. (Ghillies are compulsary and different each beat).

Vehicle: 2,200/day including fuel.

Drivers allowance: 300/day for food.

Maximum of 6 fish/angler/day can be taken.

Season is April-September.

Any questions fire away.

Cheers

Huh, that's very nice, thanks for the response, I can nearly picture it from your description.

I get into Kathmandu and need/want to hit Darjeeling for related work purposes, but I just never considered India as a potential angling destination. You just opened my eyes to a large piece of earth.

Always collecting info as contemplating my non-working life in LOS always seems a bit dreary when it comes to passionate sportfishing, and I generally plan for 1 to 2 trips elsewhere in a year, either the states, Oman in Spring, etc., but India! Thank you again for the response and the details, really did form an impression.

Tight lines, cheers,

J

J, trout are in other areas of the Himalayas such as Himachal Pradesh and Sikkim but I'm happy exploring Kashmir for now.

I also fish in India for mahseer on the Cauvery every year (Nov-Jan) and sailfish in Malaysia (May-October).

Cheers.

Right back to the mepps........

Here is your solution

Set up an account with myus.com for 10USD. Have your lures delivered to your account address in US and they send them onto you. I have just used them to have some of my favorite Columbia fishing shirts delivered to me as they too will not ship out of US. Took less than 36 hours to get here by DHL once delivered to myus. Shipping costs a lot less than you would pay to Amazon.

I talked to the Bass Pro shop customer service and was told as long as it isn't on restricted list they will ship to thailand!

You are correct about Bass Pro. The only negative about them is that they calculate the shipping cost at 45% of the value of the order which amounts to a lot on a reasonable sized order. MyUs shipping was 70% less than what Bass Pro quoted.

Backwoods, thanks for the heads up on Bass Pro but as pangit says their shipping rates are horrible - 45% of shipment cost or $40 minimum.

Lures are not on myus restricted list but Amazon wouldn't ship here so is it safe to assume myus will ship? Guess I'll find out as signed up with them.

Cheers lads

Backwoods, thanks for the heads up on Bass Pro but as pangit says their shipping rates are horrible - 45% of shipment cost or $40 minimum.

Lures are not on myus restricted list but Amazon wouldn't ship here so is it safe to assume myus will ship? Guess I'll find out as signed up with them.

Cheers lads

Ask them but I think you will find it is OK. Amazon would not ship them for other non- legal reasons probably because they are selling on behalf of a third party and they do not want the liability of fraudulent orders or losses. One further thought ... Will you have to pay Thai duty?

Secret to avoid duty here is to steer clear of courier companies. I have received a dozen and more packages from US and UK and only once paid duty when a rod from the UK was couriered against my instructions and I got slapped with 100% duty as well as the additional postage. Nice.