Phuket Fears As News Of Another Stabbing Emerges

webfact

As reported by the Brisbane Times... Looks to me like the Aussie media are going to jump all over every crime against tourists.

I will retort what i said in a similar thread. "Australians make up a large % of tourists in Thailand".

The best TAT can come up with in response is.. I doubt it will impact tourism" and Bangkok is #3 destination in the world".

Not exactly humbled by this are they? Maybe an apology to the families of the victims and a reassurance that they are going to do all they can to prevent repeats happening.

I was also taken aback by that comment.

How on earth do they immediately come to consider the economic impact on tourism, when they ought to be concerned about the level that Thai society has sunk to and the impact it is having on the lives of innocent people?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not fishy, Slum and drug peaple all over the places. Also here in Pattaya. They are lazy to work, just stealing is easy. I got my own lesson. I got surRouded by 5 locals last Octobre. What chance do you hace without weapon? The problem is that we foreigners can't carry guns. In my home country i can do that. So we are just victims in this country. In my case police was useless.

Not even regular Thais can walk around with a gun, but they do... and plenty people back home do as well, so just because you live here, you wont break the law? Shit, im well qualified to handle myself but if your surrounded or up against weapons, it doesnt seem all that bad idea to break the law and carry a pistol.

I looked it up on http://www.gunpolicy...gion/thailand It estimates10,000,000 civilian Thais are licensed for guns. It says 15.6% civilians but presume multiple gun ownership per person has blown out the data integrity. Am waiting for clarification re stun guns.

Other info is:

In Thailand, only licensed gun owners may lawfully acquire, possess or transfer a firearm or ammunition

Applicants for a gun owner’s licence in Thailand are required to prove genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example, hunting, sports shooting, collection, self defense

The minimum age for gun ownership in Thailand is 20 years

An applicant for a firearm licence in Thailand must pass background checks which consider personal conduct, living condition, income and criminal records

Where a past history, or apprehended likelihood of family violence exists, the law in Thailand stipulates that a gun licence should be denied or revoked

Can a falang legally own a gun?

I find Mohamad's story very strange, seems something fishy about it.

Pretty common to get mugged on the road in Phuket late @ night.

Happened to a friend of mine - in that case, they just rode up & kicked him off the bike.

I lived in phuket for 12 years and ran a restaurant in patong beach.Every year during the low season the crime rate goes up,and its not just falangs that get mugged,it happens to plenty of Thais, usually coming home from work in the early hours of the morning,and they dont fight back they just hand over what they have,and alot of the time it goes unreported. I Personally used to drive my staff home in the car if we finished up late,as they were scared to go over the hill to khatu.It was also well known that if you drove out of patong to kamala or the hill to karon early hours of the morning that there used to be gangs hanging around waiting for an easy target,it was just common sense not to travel up there early hours of the morning.

Sounds like Phuket and Pattaya are ideal holiday destinations - stabbings, murder, drunken orgies, corruption, jet-ski gangs, robberies etc - I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit, let alone live there.

Why not? Just yesterday a spokeswoman from the Phuket hotels association or similar was quoted saying: "that (the stabbing of an Australian Lady) this is an extremely isolated incident and thefts and other crimes in Phuket are very low.”

I wonder where this moron is hiding now...

Yea... The drunken orgies should be non-alcoholic

Sounds like Phuket and Pattaya are ideal holiday destinations - stabbings, murder, drunken orgies, corruption, jet-ski gangs, robberies etc - I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit, let alone live there.

again with the same old crap, this thread is not about Pattaya and even if it was, murders and muggings happen on hourly basis all around the world and more so in any busy city or tourist zones.

SInce living or holidaying in a developed city is a scare for you, please go to a remote village and stay thereblink.png

Since having "drunken orgy " is also an issue for you, feel free to purchase a rubber doll and stay with it in that remote villagethumbsup.gif

Edited by phl

What will a sane person by doing outside at 3:30am??? All over the world this time is an Ungodly hours for crying out loud. Only criminals and demons stay out this time.

Secondly soon tourist will stop going to phuket and hunger will dealt with this animals who are taking people life for nothing.

Not fishy, Slum and drug peaple all over the places. Also here in Pattaya. They are lazy to work, just stealing is easy. I got my own lesson. I got surRouded by 5 locals last Octobre. What chance do you hace without weapon? The problem is that we foreigners can't carry guns. In my home country i can do that. So we are just victims in this country. In my case police was useless.

I'm mindful that your mentality (escalation to madness) increases my blood pressure.

My advice.

Go back to your country.

It's bad enough it has been ruined beyond repair.

Considering that according to TAT's latest figures (2007) there are about 14'000'000 tourists in the LOS (Land of Silliness). Lets assume that half of them have multiple entries in on year and are counted several times, then a figure of around 10M is more likely (just assume). Now it's nearly impossible to find out how many foreigners live permanently (legally or illegally) in Thailand but I know for sure, there are more then 2.

Assume there are 100 farangs killed every day somewhere in Thailand for what ever the reason, that only accounts for 0.36 % of all Foreigners here. Let's think that 1000 farangs are scammed, robbed or beaten up by some scum here, that's still only 3.6%. So there are about 96% of foreigner who had a good or at least, not a horrific experience here in the LOS.

So I'm not surprised that no official agency thinks it's necessary to tackle any problems (or is that called nuisance towards our Thai hosts?) where farangs are harmed in any way.

Amazing Thailand ;-)

I don't agree with TAT's figures, but let's just say for one moment I did. It would be interesting to know, what percentage, of the percentages you state, happen on Phuket. I would suggest Phuket would present an anomaly in the national statisics for tourist deaths by misadventure and robbery, theft and assults. (leaving out scams, rip offs and extortions) :)

I believe the Thai authorities must inform the various Embassies of the death of a foreign national in Thailand. If that is the case, that would be one avenue of obtaining accurate statisics as to the circumstances and location of death in Thailand.

As far as crime figures, I would say it's almost impossible to obtain accurate figures through the Thai police and those figures could further not be relied upon due to the high incidence of non-reporting of crime.

So, as one can see, whatever the world thinks, or knows, of crime in Thailand/Phuket - TAT is aware there really are just no proper figures to be able to prove their deceipt in the eyes of the world.

• Like 1

What will a sane person by doing outside at 3:30am??? All over the world this time is an Ungodly hours for crying out loud. Only criminals and demons stay out this time.

Secondly soon tourist will stop going to phuket and hunger will dealt with this animals who are taking people life for nothing.

that is incorrect, if tourists stop going to Phuket, the animals(as you like to call them) will move to other areas where tourists go.

simple survival instinct.

furthermore, an increase in violence is always connected to economic situation at the time. whenever economy goes down, the crime rate goes up,

right now its a very very low season, less jobs, less tips and many businesses closing down= an increase in crime

I don't find anything 'fishy' about his story.

This is a real problem for Phuket's tourism sector, people are going to start giving the place a wide berth! My cousin who is 21 years old is arriving in Thailand next month, I have already advised him to avoid Phuket and Pattaya in the same way as I would the southern provinces.

The boys in brown need to sort this out quickly, not just catching the bike gangs responsible for these latest incidents but also sending out a clear deterrent to the others. If the tourist industry suffers then there's less tea money for the BiB =)

Ive visited Phuket for last 3 years to see my thai lady, i always used to recommend Phuket to my friends as a place for a great beach holiday

but i wont be doing that any more, seems to be bad news relentlessly now about Phuket

that is incorrect, if tourists stop going to Phuket, the animals(as you like to call them) will move to other areas where tourists go.

furthermore, an increase in violence is always connected to economic situation at the time. whenever economy goes down, the crime rate goes up,

right now its a very very low season, less jobs, less tips and many businesses closing down= an increase in crime

You forgot to mention drug addiction as another reason for an increase in crime. Drug use, and drug dealing, is rife on Phuket. The money has to come from somewhere.

The criminal knows most foreigners go home next week and therefore unable to give evidence against them. One of the many reasons that makes foreigners a target here.

Edited by NamKangMan

Can a falang legally own a gun?

Even if he could. If you would shot someone in self defence, The police would maybe turn it against you and you would end up in jail. That's the problem!

Jail ?? I Don't think so. Yes they would turn it against you and pull the trigger.

Police report would read something like " Alien farang shoots attacker then commits suicide, police are searching for a motive."

No problem !

Edited by sportsman69

Assume there are 100 farangs killed every day somewhere in Thailand for what ever the reason, that only accounts for 0.36 % of all Foreigners here. Let's think that 1000 farangs are scammed, robbed or beaten up by some scum here, that's still only 3.6%. So there are about 96% of foreigner who had a good or at least, not a horrific experience here in the LOS.

So I'm not surprised that no official agency thinks it's necessary to tackle any problems (or is that called nuisance towards our Thai hosts?) where farangs are harmed in any way.

It may seem only a few to you but try explaining it to their families and their nationals.

Bad publicity is more than enough reason for TAT to act.

Just to give you an example, only 499 U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2010 compared to 30,000 annual shooting fatalities Stateside, and yet the bad publicity has caused them to pullout before the job's been done.

There's your answer.

Edited by rockyysdt

The low life that committed this horrendous act have probably never done an honest days work in their lives, nor ever will. Probably riding a motor bike pieced together out of stolen parts bought from their mates, who runs a chop shop, with copy plates, for 2,000 baht gained from the sale of Ya Ba. They live a life of crime, with a diet of drugs. The surrounding economy has nothing to do with it. It only alters the percentage figures. If tourist numbers drop by half the scum won't move elsewhere, it will simply mean you have 50% more chance of becoming a victim.

Eradication is the only complete method of a successful result. I cannot advise the method of implication especially with all the corruption and not even the budget to dispose of the islands garbage in a healthy manner, let alone this scum. There is no magic bullet.

You forgot to mention drug addiction as another reason for an increase in crime. Drug use, and drug dealing, is rife on Phuket. The money has to come from somewhere.

The criminal knows most foreigners go home next week and therefore unable to give evidence against them. One of the many reasons that makes foreigners a target here.

yeah thats also true, though i think drug addiction develops from an unhappy life, which usually means the lack of money

The low life that committed this horrendous act have probably never done an honest days work in their lives, nor ever will. Probably riding a motor bike pieced together out of stolen parts bought from their mates, who runs a chop shop, with copy plates, for 2,000 baht gained from the sale of Ya Ba. They live a life of crime, with a diet of drugs. The surrounding economy has nothing to do with it. It only alters the percentage figures. If tourist numbers drop by half the scum won't move elsewhere, it will simply mean you have 50% more chance of becoming a victim.

Eradication is the only complete method of a successful result. I cannot advise the method of implication especially with all the corruption and not even the budget to dispose of the islands garbage in a healthy manner, let alone this scum. There is no magic bullet.

If following your logic, crime should be the same in high or low season, which is not so. So either your logic is flawed or the "low life's" are asleep in the high seasons, i wonder which one it isthumbsup.gif

Don't believe everything you read on this board; lots of paranoia and hysteria here. 18 million tourists visited Thailand last year and the overwhelming majority had a great time. As in most vacation spots tourists are the target for scams of all sorts. I was just in New York as a tourist and loved it but, yes, I got scammed once and a friend lost his phone to a pickpocket.....it happens everywhere. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. Do stupid things and you will stand out as a potential victim.

• Like 1

If following your logic, crime should be the same in high or low season, which is not so. So either your logic is flawed or the "low life's" are asleep in the high seasons, i wonder which one it isthumbsup.gif

I'll play ajarn.

If 100 tourists are here in high season, and a criminal has to rob around 10 a week to support themself (drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex etc) - if you are one tourist in that 100, you have a 10% of him robbing you. If 20 tourists are here for low season, the criminal still has to rob 10 a week to support his lifestyle - if you are one of the 20 tourist, there is now a 50% chance he will rob you.

I'll play ajarn.

If 100 tourists are here in high season, and a criminal has to rob around 10 a week to support themself (drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex etc) - if you are one tourist in that 100, you have a 10% of him robbing you. If 20 tourists are here for low season, the criminal still has to rob 10 a week to support his lifestyle - if you are one of the 20 tourist, there is now a 50% chance he will rob you.

MY point is not the % of being a victim, but the amount of attacks. and severity of it.

I am very glad I live in Chiang Mai yes we have some crime here but no stabbings and very few muggings. No real scams or rip offs. All in all very nice friendly people and merchants. As my Thai friends tell me "the darker the skin the hotter the temper".

Cheers,

Randy

A stabbing a few days ago, and an American was stabbed and killed in his own home a couple of weeks or so ago, You obviously do not read the local news wink.png

Don"t blame Phuketians. It"s those from outside Phuket that cause all the problems. They come here with one thing in mind, only.Those born and raised here are as horrified as the Ex-pats who live here to the carnage that is beiong bestowed upon their province.

The worst kind of Thais travel to Phuket and Pattaya to rob foreigners. They are young, on drugs and always drive a bike, looking for victims. This happens every week now. Tourists should start taking this seriously. If they are partying late at night , take a taxi home.

Just avoid the tourist places and most Thais are very nice.

Edited by balo