Phuket Fears As News Of Another Stabbing Emerges

webfact

The worst kind of Thais travel to Phuket and Pattaya to rob foreigners. They are young, on drugs and always drive a bike, looking for victims. This happens every week now. Tourists should start taking this seriously. If they are partying late at night , take a taxi home.

Just avoid the tourist places and most Thais are very nice.

Really? so they do not travel to Bangkok or Chiang Mai? i guess all the shootings, stabbings and muggins in BKK and CM are done by the best kind of Thai's, while the worst kind travels to Phuket and Pattaya?blink.png

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nothing fishy about this story but very dangerous... when groups openly block roads like this it shows a real lack of safety and police presence... the Phuket police are basically useless because they are so corrupt no one takes them seriously and for all you know they may be on the lamb on this one or could even be a friend or one of the force... perhapst the answer is to bring in the army as funnya as it sounds until roads are cleared, etc. I personally think Pattaya is safer than Phuket as odd as this may sound partly because Phuket has an extensive area of roads that are travelled by tourists unlike Patts which is more central and the Phuket police need to patrol these roads all the time...

I don't know if or how much it would help, but here are some suggestions which might influence the psychology of youngsters - some of whom grow up to prey on others.

>>>> Less exposure to violent videos. Note: all video stores have such crap, which comprise about 90% of their stock.

>>>> More involvement and honesty by parents with their kids.

>>>> More wholesome activities. Example: How often do parents watch violent or katoy or shouting/screaming crap on TV with their kids, compared to time spent exploring parks and nature? The ratio is about 5,000 to 1. How often to parents do a wholesome activity with their kids, like artwork or going to a museum versus just leaving the kid to play violent videos on computer? answer: just about never.

a wholesome, honest upbringing won't eradicate violent behavior, but it will have some positive affect.

• Like 2

You forgot to mention drug addiction as another reason for an increase in crime. Drug use, and drug dealing, is rife on Phuket. The money has to come from somewhere.

....and what's the #1 most dangerous drug in terms of overall harm it contributes to? You guessed it, alcoholic drinks.

Never understood, why people risk lives for what is just stuff.

Been mugged twice in Asia (not Thailand) both times just gave what they wanted and survived never lost more than 50 dollars, of course I never have anything of real value in bag etc.

Split your valuables or carry a dummy wallet , was advised once throw your belongings on floor away from you and run. They will go for bag etc.

If on a night out just take what you need, and get a taxi back.

My first trip to Thailand January 2007. I had dinner with my at the time girlfriend who is now my wife. We were close to the house in Nonthaburi and walking back home when a kid jumped off a moterbike and slashed her arm and grabbed the purse. I did not realize he had cut her so i of course start chasing him as he is running to the bike his buddy is still on. Did not get my hands on him and they got away. I get back and see her bleeding and waved a taxi down. This lady is so worried about my money being in her purse that she does not even want to go to the hospital. I told her there was about 700 baht in the purse that my money was in a drawer in the house, why carry what you do not need, we got in the taxi and he drove us down the road a bit to the hospital maybe 3 min ride. He would not take money for the ride he was more concerned to get the bleeding stopped. We got inside and they stiched her up and gave her some meds and we went home. In the morning she can move her fingers but not the wrist so back we go to the hospital. They opened the cut back up and found three severed tendons. Again this lady was concerned about the cost of going back to the hospital as it was a GOOD one and may cost too much. I asked how much and she says ohh maybe 40 60 thousand. I say Baht? she says yes. I say and this is the good hospital she says yeas very good. Ok we will stay at this one. They fixed her up. Private room in the hospital for the both uf us, meals meds all told I was 1200 us out of pocket. I would still be paying on that in the US. My lady was worried as were the neighbors that I would be running fast to get away from the bad here in Thailand. The same thing happens daily/nightly in any big city in the world. You can't get completely away from it you just have to pay more ttention to your surroundings AT ALL TIMES. If you let your guard down bad things can happen. Sometimes even when you are aware you can still get hit. If someone has a knife or a gun or a stick or brick give em the purse or watch and walk away. Nothing in your pocket is worth the dying for because some drugged out kid wants more dope. Please be careful. Rest in peace lady and speedy recovery man who got cut. Peace, love and light for your paths always.

I find Mohamad's story very strange, seems something fishy about it.

Why do you think it's 'fishy'? Details please.

The only thing fishy about the story is that the paper got his name wrong. His name is Ed, not Mohamad.

The rest of it is true.

Sounds like Phuket and Pattaya are ideal holiday destinations - stabbings, murder, drunken orgies, corruption, jet-ski gangs, robberies etc - I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit, let alone live there.

Yeah ... it's not like there are murders, robberies, gangs, etc. in New York or London or Rio or other major cities. Yeah, only in Thailand.

You forgot to mention drug addiction as another reason for an increase in crime. Drug use, and drug dealing, is rife on Phuket. The money has to come from somewhere.

....and what's the #1 most dangerous drug in terms of overall harm it contributes to? You guessed it, alcoholic drinks.

I agree. A lot of these Thai teenage gangs drink Thai whiskey to get drunk, however, alcohol is cheap to purchase, compared to hard narcotics, which takes a lot more crime in order to have the money to buy it.

stevenl, you have been very quiet on this thread since the above post, which is unlike you. Several people have asked for your reasoning behind this comment but you have yet to reply. We are waiting with bated breath.

stevenl, you have been very quiet on this thread since the above post, which is unlike you. Several people have asked for your reasoning behind this comment but you have yet to reply. We are waiting with bated breath.

I don't know about baited breath but MM I hope you are not holding your breath. You know how these things go...........conspiracy theories abound, just thank Buddha a certain poster is again gone, otherwise we'd have one-by-one attention deficit disorder posts filling the thread.

Now, about the nice day on the beach as that won't make much news..............oh, and hello Phuket bashers, have at it will ya.

And I answered in post 25. So please keep up with it. You're commenting without even reading, I have posted several times here after that post as well.

BTW, this happened apparently 300 meters from Chalong circle on the road to Rawai. The road is 4 lanes wide there, but they managed to block it with 1 motorbike?

Edited by stevenl

I don't know about baited breath but MM I hope you are not holding your breath. You know how these things go...........conspiracy theories abound, just thank Buddha a certain poster is again gone, otherwise we'd have one-by-one attention deficit disorder posts filling the thread.

Now, about the nice day on the beach as that won't make much news..............oh, and hello Phuket bashers, have at it will ya.

If you and the others asking me about my reasoning had read my posts here you would have seen my answers. Answered long, long before he could have even started holding his breath.

I certainly don't think he stabbed himself, nor fell off his bike onto a waiting knife in the road, so someone had to stab him. Granted at 3:30 am his faculties might not have been at their best, so maybe he didn't think as a rational person would think at 2 pm and make a proper getaway.

Drunk people are scary and unpredictable, but it's nothing to compared to methamphetamine (yaba, ya ice) users.

If I recall correctly the average life span of meth user from first try to death is 5 years. Before the death, there is plenty of not so happy events for the user and it's surroundings.

Now, this shit is widely available on Phuket. Available for school kids and older. Learn at least to know the visible symptoms, scratching of the skin etc.

Meth, not even once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Vw2yt-Vn8

I don't find anything 'fishy' about his story.

This is a real problem for Phuket's tourism sector, people are going to start giving the place a wide berth! My cousin who is 21 years old is arriving in Thailand next month, I have already advised him to avoid Phuket and Pattaya in the same way as I would the southern provinces.

The boys in brown need to sort this out quickly, not just catching the bike gangs responsible for these latest incidents but also sending out a clear deterrent to the others. If the tourist industry suffers then there's less tea money for the BiB =)

good comment the cops need to get cracking ..a balance has to be found if this incident stops just 100 people from coming here it has a ripple effect ..i wouldnt recommend thailand to my aged aunts for a hol .

He'll be back, I wonder what name next time?

If you and the others asking me about my reasoning had read my posts here you would have seen my answers. Answered long, long before he could have even started holding his breath.

Apologies, I thought I had followed this from the start but the go to first unread post must have made me miss your comments. But you're normally someone who wants the facts and not speculation so I was a bit surprised, and still am, by your comments.

He'll be back, I wonder what name next time?

Apologies, I thought I had followed this from the start but the go to first unread post must have made me miss your comments. But you're normally someone who wants the facts and not speculation so I was a bit surprised, and still am, by your comments.

That's exactly it, I want the facts, but there seems to be something amiss here. But I guess we'll have to wait and hopefully find out.

The take away for this and recent is when it gets dark,

stay in doors and until daylight.

Jesus, if it's not face-eating zombies, it's drunk, methed out druggies,

dry.png

Edited by cobra

Maybe you would find it less fishy if he was called Colin or Dave?

Up to you to think that way, I don't.

Just fishy that people approach him on a motorbike selling drugs, and they get aggressive when he drives off? Strange sales techniques. He claimed to be going home, 300 meters from the circle he gets stabbed after the road was blocked, very wide road there. I have no doubt he was stabbed, but would guess there is more to it than he telling at the moment. We'll have to wait and see though.

sales technique from drug pushers at 3.30 am..lol ... ... how would that have gone you think ? the guy was stabbed when he refused to hand over cash be it for drugs or whatever ... whats fishy about it and how does it change the fact he was stabbed ..if he was doing anything fishy as you say it ..would he go to the press ??? a friend of mine on a much wider part of the viset road was beaten with bamboo as he travelled home on a scooter after a late night ...they jumped out and blocked the road then beat the shit out of him as he tried to get away ..fortunately he did ...please dont make it out as farangs are now looking for late night beatings ....

Just get a stun gun or taser. It is even good for scaring off wild dogs!

Not a bad idea! what are the public in Thailand allowed to carry for self defense purposes, IE; pepper spray, taser

Extremely easy to use on a motorbike at 03:30 in the morning. Don't think he was visiting temples until that time do you?

And I answered in post 25. So please keep up with it. You're commenting without even reading, I have posted several times here after that post as well.

BTW, this happened apparently 300 meters from Chalong circle on the road to Rawai. The road is 4 lanes wide there, but they managed to block it with 1 motorbike?

At 3.30 AM maybe he have hade a few and had a double vision? rolleyes.gif

At 3.30 AM maybe he have hade a few and had a double vision? rolleyes.gif

That would have been 2 motorbikes then :) Need at least 4 to block the road there, so minimum 2 assailant bikes :)